Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strong smell on clothes
kitkat 06:42 AM 01-23-2013
Dcg came in this morning and smells like she took a bath in some type of fragrence. It's super strong and I have a sensitive nose. I'm almost 100% positive it's their laundry detergent. I asked her if she sprayed perfume on or something and she said no. She's almost 5, but was clearly telling the truth. It's hard to be in the same room as her b/c it is that strong. I'm not going to ask them to switch their laundry detergent, b/c I don't feel that it's my place to do that and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I smelled her jacket, and it doesn't smell. I was going to put it outside if it did. I was going to ask dcm at pick up if they switched laundry detergent or something and just mention that the smell was really strong. Any suggestions on what else I can do to combat the smell? It smells like cheap floral air freshener.
mbullette 06:50 AM 01-23-2013
I am really sensitive when it comes to smells. One of my families uses a detergent that I can;t stand. Within minutes of her being here I have a headache. When she arrives I take her clothes off and put her in an outfit I washed. I keep her in that all day and 5 mins before mom gets here I change her back into her outfit. I dont use any blankets they bring and her car seat goes on my front porch. I am not going to tell them to buy a different brand so I just bought her some outfits that stay here and I wash them. It works out now but I am not sure how well it will work when she is older.
Do you have a extra shirt her size? I would make her change shirts and then just put her back in it before she leaves. If she says something to her parents explain that the smell was very strong and you just couldnt handle it.
kitkat 07:00 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I am really sensitive when it comes to smells. One of my families uses a detergent that I can;t stand. Within minutes of her being here I have a headache. When she arrives I take her clothes off and put her in an outfit I washed. I keep her in that all day and 5 mins before mom gets here I change her back into her outfit. I dont use any blankets they bring and her car seat goes on my front porch. I am not going to tell them to buy a different brand so I just bought her some outfits that stay here and I wash them. It works out now but I am not sure how well it will work when she is older.
Do you have a extra shirt her size? I would make her change shirts and then just put her back in it before she leaves. If she says something to her parents explain that the smell was very strong and you just couldnt handle it.
I was thinking of changing her clothes, but I was afraid that she would question it since she's almost 5. If she were a baby, she'd be changed in a heartbeat Maybe I'll just have her change her shirt. Thanks for the idea!
daycarediva 09:51 AM 01-23-2013
I would have given her something messy to do/eat and then made that the reason to change her shirt. EW.

Smells bother me too. I have one dcb that I change as soon as he gets here every time he has been with his Mom. She wears a very overbearing fruity body spray and dcb smells like he was DUNKED in it.
MamaBearCanada 10:09 AM 01-23-2013
Could you send out something that said due to scent allergies your daycare is now a scent free environment? Schools have lots of allergy bans and many public places are scent free. If you make it vague parents might assume it's another DCK with the allergy.

I would not want to be change a child twice a day if it could be avoided plus the extra laundry.
Reply Up