Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination Because Of Behavior
Tigerlilly 12:17 PM 02-21-2018
I have a 2 year old dck that hits, pushes, kicks and throws toys. Not like throws the balls around. He takes hard blocks and throws them at my face or at windows or at other kids. Refuses to nap and thought he was going to break my pack and play when I put him in it. I'm running out of toys for him to play with because he has turned them all into weapons. And he tackled my daughter unprovoked into the door. He is huge and throws himself around like a wrecking ball. And he put a small hole in my wall.

He is 2 years 3 months old and weigh close to the same weight as my 4 year old. Little line backer. He has been here only three days...

Would it be unreasonable to just terminate?
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:
I have a 2 year old dck that hits, pushes, kicks and throws toys. Not like throws the balls around. He takes hard blocks and throws them at my face or at windows or at other kids. Refuses to nap and thought he was going to break my pack and play when I put him in it. I'm running out of toys for him to play with because he has turned them all into weapons. And he tackled my daughter unprovoked into the door. He is huge and throws himself around like a wrecking ball. And he put a small hole in my wall.

He is 2 years 3 months old and weigh close to the same weight as my 4 year old. Little line backer. He has been here only three days...

I'd terminate any child that I couldn't teach within a certain amount of time to not be aggressively violent towards others.

The safety of ALL children in care is my priority and when one child creates a situation in which they continually harm others I have no choice but to terminate services.

I cannot provide constant one on one attention for one child within a group care environment.
Homebody 12:37 PM 02-21-2018
I'd term immediately before he seriously hurts someone.
amberrose3dg 12:43 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:

Yes! That behavior will only get worse.
boy_mom 12:47 PM 02-21-2018
Yep, I would terminate! I terminated a similar child in the middle of his first day!
LostMyMarbles 12:49 PM 02-21-2018
Yup! Unless you like the stress.....lol
HappyEverAfter 01:13 PM 02-21-2018
Do you feel he could be teachable? If you are up for it, I’d say give it a full 5 days before terming. Over the next two days, keep him semi-separate from the others for their safety by putting him in a play yard fenced area. Only give him soft toys, even if that limits how much he has to play with. Show him how he is expected to behave by pointing it out to him when others do it, “look Timmy, see how Bobby and Sue are playing together building a tower with the blocks?” “Let’s use our gentle hands and roll the ball back and fortf, Timmy”, etc. If he seems to be calming his behavior down inside the play yard, try to reintroduce him to the group for short periods of 20 minutes or so and see how he does. If he does better then you’ll know he’s capable of being taught. If he’s still super rambunctious and out of control, I’d term. Also, if he weighs almost as much as a 4 yr old he may be too heavy for a pack n play and might need to nap on a mat (probably with a gate around him, lol) instead. Good luck, whatever you do!
Mike 01:17 PM 02-21-2018
His parents haven't prepared him for daycare, or they just haven't prepared him for anything.
danger to others = terminate
Tigerlilly 02:13 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Do you feel he could be teachable? If you are up for it, I’d say give it a full 5 days before terming. Over the next two days, keep him semi-separate from the others for their safety by putting him in a play yard fenced area. Only give him soft toys, even if that limits how much he has to play with. Show him how he is expected to behave by pointing it out to him when others do it, “look Timmy, see how Bobby and Sue are playing together building a tower with the blocks?” “Let’s use our gentle hands and roll the ball back and fortf, Timmy”, etc. If he seems to be calming his behavior down inside the play yard, try to reintroduce him to the group for short periods of 20 minutes or so and see how he does. If he does better then you’ll know he’s capable of being taught. If he’s still super rambunctious and out of control, I’d term. Also, if he weighs almost as much as a 4 yr old he may be too heavy for a pack n play and might need to nap on a mat (probably with a gate around him, lol) instead. Good luck, whatever you do!
Hey might be but he seems to have progressively gotten worse over the last 3 days. Definitely tried the nap mat first, simply won't stay put for even a second. I really don't think he understands much.
Ariana 09:31 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd terminate any child that I couldn't teach within a certain amount of time to not be aggressively violent towards others.

The safety of ALL children in care is my priority and when one child creates a situation in which they continually harm others I have no choice but to terminate services.

I cannot provide constant one on one attention for one child within a group care environment.
This! I have terminated over behavior many times. Violence is simply not tolerated. If I cannot get the violence to stop within a few weeks of parents and my efforts then they got to go! I have a 6 week trial period for this very reason.
Rockgirl 09:47 AM 02-22-2018
I recently terminated a child due to similar behavior, within his first week of care. When I realized I was spending the majority of my time dealing with the behavior of that one child, it was time to terminate. Everyone else was suffering, including me!
Play Care 11:22 AM 02-22-2018
I have termed after day 1. I don't put up with violence nor do I feel it's my job to "teach" a child to not be violent. IME, a child who is violent/aggressive needs specialized care that I am not equipped to handle, or multiple staff so they are always under someone's eye.
Some may disagree, but IMO these kids are NOT a good fit for an in home child care.
BrynleeJean 02:21 PM 02-23-2018
termination is totally up to you.
it could be just an adjustment period and you could give it some time,if so id suggest just being super redundant with the rules, and redirection.
or he could just be a rough boy. i know my son is two and is rougher than his cousin, my neices. my sister in law thinks I'm a terrible mom cuz he just runs in a wants to "tackle her" he thinks its fun, idk why boys are like puppy dogs. he isn't so bad, but i know when he went to daycare it was worse cuz he would test the teacher, knew she wants doing to do anything about it. my son may get the urge to throw a block to assert this masculinity or whatever he feels (he acts like i little super hero while he does these rough things, or bad guy) but i correct him in he throws and he doesn't do it a lot, only if he gets like super excited and playful, around friends or if we are rolling around playing with him.
good luck!
Unregistered 09:46 PM 02-24-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have termed after day 1. I don't put up with violence nor do I feel it's my job to "teach" a child to not be violent. IME, a child who is violent/aggressive needs specialized care that I am not equipped to handle, or multiple staff so they are always under someone's eye.
Some may disagree, but IMO these kids are NOT a good fit for an in home child care.
THIS!!!!! A child who is this young, and especially as the OP stated was not in care before this, has issues if they're this violent. Not only that, he learned it from home. A child like this needs professional help and one to one care. I had a child like this about six years ago. He was actually in the universal prek my state has and was kicked out, but the mom claimed she wanted him in a home like environment. It is not you, it is the family.
Tags:termination - behavioral
Reply Up