Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Common Allergies Besides The Normal Ones?
midaycare 06:11 AM 09-29-2017
I have a dcg, 16 months. Wish she was mine Anyhoo, she keeps breaking out in an awful rash every so often that does not appear to be related to teeth. It's an awful, skin turns super red type of rash. It goes away and then comes back with zero predictability.

Dcg had no rashes as a baby, this is recent, within past few months. I'm thinking it reminds me of a dog I had early on whose butt would flare every time she had strawberries. I haven't served those recently, neither has dcm. Any other ideas?

Anything besides allergies? We've looked at the obvious ones, detergents, etc. It comes and goes so I can't believe it's the laundry or soap. They've been using the same mild, fragrance free stuff from day 1.
hwichlaz 06:44 AM 09-29-2017
It could be anything, they should keep a food journal through a few outbreaks.
hwichlaz 06:45 AM 09-29-2017
heck, maybe they overloaded their washer and the soap didn't get rinsed out...that could explain why it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason
midaycare 07:45 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It could be anything, they should keep a food journal through a few outbreaks.
That was my suggestion
Ariana 07:52 AM 09-29-2017
Anything acidic usually creates this. Where is the rash?

I have found kids react to eggs, tomatoes, citrus fruits but I don't really think its an allergy, just sensitive skin.
Pestle 07:54 AM 09-29-2017
Playing in the grass can raise a nasty rash in some kids.
Ariana 07:57 AM 09-29-2017
oops duplicate!
LysesKids 08:21 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Playing in the grass can raise a nasty rash in some kids.
Yep... and sometimes "Nana" has issues too lol. I'm allergic to so many things, I quit counting after 50+ (when 37 bumps pop up in 30 seconds out of 80 foods, you know you are in trouble). My poor arms & back hurt for days after the test... I know I allergic to certain trees & pollens also, not to mention bees, most antibiotics etc etc.

Yes, I am one of those people, maybe it's why I cater to kids with food allergies; I have anaphylactic shock reactions to peas & bees and penicillin, but the rest I just deal with
midaycare 08:43 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Anything acidic usually creates this. Where is the rash?

I have found kids react to eggs, tomatoes, citrus fruits but I don't really think its an allergy, just sensitive skin.
The rash is on her behind. It's so similar to diaper rash I thought it was for several outbreaks. But it kind of looks like sores, although not really.
Baby Beluga 08:53 AM 09-29-2017
At first I was going to suggest a chemical of some sort that is in every day objects. I am allergic to formaldehyde. It is in EVERYTHING. Boxes, some nail polishes, furniture. I break out in random rashes all the time.

But...

If the rash is on her bottom I would think it were food or diaper related. What type of diapers does she wear?
Ariana 09:27 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
The rash is on her behind. It's so similar to diaper rash I thought it was for several outbreaks. But it kind of looks like sores, although not really.
That is likely a yeast rash. My daughters got them all the time. Canesten clears it right up! Just get the Canesten refill tube at the drug store...or get mom to do it! You can also suggest probiotics in the food too. Both together will clear it up in a day or two.
midaycare 09:28 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
At first I was going to suggest a chemical of some sort that is in every day objects. I am allergic to formaldehyde. It is in EVERYTHING. Boxes, some nail polishes, furniture. I break out in random rashes all the time.

But...

If the rash is on her bottom I would think it were food or diaper related. What type of diapers does she wear?
Same ones since birth. I'm trying to remember because I always throw out the boxes. One of the major ones. It's a thing that just seems to come and go at Will! That's what has me thinking more towards an allergy.
hwichlaz 10:22 AM 09-29-2017
Yeah, with further discription sounds like yeast. Don't use cornstarch on it whatever you do. Yeast rashes are similar to bread yeast, in that they eat carbs and sugar. I'd suggest monostat or any otc vaginal yeast cream. If that's the culprit, applying it 4 times a day will show a HUGE difference in just 24 hours.
Baby Beluga 11:08 AM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Same ones since birth. I'm trying to remember because I always throw out the boxes. One of the major ones. It's a thing that just seems to come and go at Will! That's what has me thinking more towards an allergy.
I agree with others, it sounds like it might be yeast. Has mom tried treating it as a yeast infection yet?

Also, sometimes diaper allergies will develop out of nowhere. A child can use a diaper from birth but suddenly become allergic to it. Same with wipes. It's nuts.
midaycare 12:15 PM 09-29-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Yeah, with further discription sounds like yeast. Don't use cornstarch on it whatever you do. Yeast rashes are similar to bread yeast, in that they eat carbs and sugar. I'd suggest monostat or any otc vaginal yeast cream. If that's the culprit, applying it 4 times a day will show a HUGE difference in just 24 hours.
Hmmmm....definitely have not looked into yeast.
flying_babyb 01:19 PM 10-01-2017
jock itch cream seems to work well on yeast rash too.
Tags:allergies
Reply Up