Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help On This, Not A Good Fit?
WImom 10:53 AM 06-06-2011
I have a set of twins (boy/girl) that started with me 2 weeks ago, they are newly 3y. I've had them two weeks 1/2 days and now this week they start full time.

They are really wearing me out. I feel like I'm spending all my time with them and not the other kids since I'm having to redirect them for everything we do. I'm sick of hearing my voice today.

The boy has a speech delay and is very busy, doesn't play with anything for more than a minute or two and keeps getting up from the table, taking kids toys, getting up at circle time, etc.

I'm also redirecting the girl alot as well and having to give directions more than once like they are not paying attention to me. They both put their fingers in their mouth alot and mouth toys which is driving me nuts (I only care 2y up so I haven't really run into that too much)

I'm thinking these kids may just need either a play based only type childcare (I run a preschool type - where we transition to different activities during the day and have free play intbetween) or a center/preschool with more than one provider because I'm exhausted.

They were never in childcare before me so not sure if it just needs more time or if I need to go with thinking they just aren't right for my childcare. (Mom is going back to work so this is a big change for them)

I want to give it the rest of this week and maybe next week when my 8y DD old is home (she's helping me out this summer, the kids all love her).

Is there times when you just know it's not a good fit??
cheerfuldom 10:57 AM 06-06-2011
I think I would give it at least till the end of next week and see if you have any progress. They don't sound out of control or anything but just very unfocused and unstructured which is typical for kids that have been home for 3 years.
daycare 11:01 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have a set of twins (boy/girl) that started with me 2 weeks ago, they are newly 3y. I've had them two weeks 1/2 days and now this week they start full time.

They are really wearing me out. I feel like I'm spending all my time with them and not the other kids since I'm having to redirect them for everything we do. I'm sick of hearing my voice today.

The boy has a speech delay and is very busy, doesn't play with anything for more than a minute or two and keeps getting up from the table, taking kids toys, getting up at circle time, etc.

I'm also redirecting the girl alot as well and having to give directions more than once like they are not paying attention to me. They both put their fingers in their mouth alot and mouth toys which is driving me nuts (I only care 2y up so I haven't really run into that too much)

I'm thinking these kids may just need either a play based only type childcare (I run a preschool type - where we transition to different activities during the day and have free play intbetween) or a center/preschool with more than one provider because I'm exhausted.

They were never in childcare before me so not sure if it just needs more time or if I need to go with thinking they just aren't right for my childcare. (Mom is going back to work so this is a big change for them)

I want to give it the rest of this week and maybe next week when my 8y DD old is home (she's helping me out this summer, the kids all love her).

Is there times when you just know it's not a good fit??
Seeing that they have never been in a DC before, it does take time to transition them no only into a class environment, but just the fact that they are away from their normal routine.
I have had kids that have been in DC before, but never a preschool setup. I teach just like you do. I would say it takes about a month or so for most kids to really settle in.

However, I think that in the first two weeks if you don't think its going to work, more than likely it won't. I tend to follow my gut.

As long as there are no serious behavior issues, I would move forward, they can always catch on to the routine.
WImom 11:08 AM 06-06-2011
Thanks. Yeah, Actually all 6 of my other DCK's have never been in DC before here when they started but it didn't take this long, usually a week (except one that only comes two days, still working on it with him for a month now). Maybe it's just that it's two of them at once.

I'm happy to report they went to sleep good on their first day. Hoping it's for two hours since it's going to be a struggle if they wake up early for them to be quiet I think.

I think I give it two full weeks and then hopefully there will be some improvements. Thanks.
Mom_of_two 11:58 AM 06-06-2011
I have a girl who CONSTANTLY had her hand in her mouth and/or nose when she started- every day multiple times a day I would remind her we don't do that, and also gently remove her hand from her face if I was next to her. In a week or so it was SO much better! That stuff can be unlearned pretty quick, I think. But wow that first week it was a lot of reminding!
Tags:siblings, tough day, twins
Reply Up