Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated- Again. Seriously Don’t Know How I Keep Going
wahmof3 04:50 PM 12-03-2012
Just need to vent.

EVERY MONDAY I CLOSE AT 4. EVERY MONDAY. This is told to the DCF in the phone interview, and face to face interview.

I sent home a newsletter the week of Thanksgiving and there were a couple of dates that I am requesting early pick up because of my kids activities. (This is also discussed during the interview. If they can't pick up early, then I am not a good fit for them. It's one of the very first things we discuss.)

In the recent newsletter I reminded parents that MONDAY PICK UPS ARE 4p.

I don't usually have a problem with it, except one family.

For the past 2 weeks DCK has been picked up before 3:30. Except today. Everyone left except DCK. I waited 5 minutes and text both mom and dad (because usually when they are late they have some lame excuse: stuck by a train or behind a bus). I said need to leave for dance, how far away are you. The response I got was I thought it was 4:30 pick up today.

I seriously wanted to say WTF??? But I said nope its 4 every monday like it always has been.

So yep almost 4:30 she strolls in and apologizes. I normally would have said its ok. Well I didn't respond. I was so MAD and still am.

Why are people so ignorant and disrespectful?? I am so done with this family.

Is it coincidental that every single time I have a specific pick up they are always late????? One or two minutes here or there. Late fee's don't help.

I am ready to tell them to hit the highway I was hoping to get thru the first of the year, but I just don't think its going to happen.

What really bugs me too is that the kids dad wasn't working today.
bunnyslippers 06:49 PM 12-03-2012
Darling..it happens. All the time. Charge a fee. It is the ONLY way to stop ot. Make it a really high fee on Mondays.
Heidi 07:13 PM 12-03-2012
Do you transport?

I don't know how young your own children are or the circumstances, but if one of my dc parents did that, I would have a note on the door. "Had to leave for dance-you can find us at xx" here, that would mean they would be driving 6-12 miles out of their way.
kitykids3 07:29 PM 12-03-2012
I hope you are still charging late fees?
What are yours? Mine are $1 per MINUTE after closing time. That would have been a $20-30 fee.
The fact that dad had off would really have me steaming, possibly terming immediately.
If you talked to them about possible termination if it happens again, do you think it would help? Either way, if you can afford to, I would do it.
littlemissmuffet 07:45 PM 12-03-2012
When I close early for any reason, I charge a $5/minute late fee... they would have owed me $150.00 for that half hour and I would have absolutely enforced it - and hopefully at the same time cornered them into giving notice. LOL!

It sounds like you're done with this family anyways, so tell the parents you want to see them BOTH at pick up tomorrow. Let them know what happened yesterday (and other times) is completely unacceptable and this was their final chance - any more breeches in policy and they are gone - remind them that if they leave on their own accord that they have to give proper notice or legal action will be taken. Meanwhile, start looking for a new better family.

Good luck and big hugs, I know how incredibly frustrating rude, disrespectful, SELFISH clients are.
countrymom 05:49 AM 12-04-2012
you should have left with the kid and made her go look for you. Usually that will do the trick. Also, do you have everyday a different closing time. That would be hard for my peeps to keep track of. Also, can you find a dance studio that offers the class later. My kids have activities that all start at 6pm so it works out great, but I had to go searching for them.
MarinaVanessa 12:24 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you should have left with the kid and made her go look for you. Usually that will do the trick.
This is what I do. Or did anyway. After the first time or two of enforcing this PLUS the late fees they usually get the point. I'm notorious for taking off with the DCK to go to some far away store and then run around the store dodging from DCP's while they look for me. Okay I wasn't exactly "hiding" I just wasn't answering my phone and just kept moving aisle to aisle until they found me. Then THAT'S when I would look at my time and charge late fees until then. If they can't be bothered to show up on time then I can't be bothered to make an effort to be found.
wahmof3 04:58 PM 12-04-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This is what I do. Or did anyway. After the first time or two of enforcing this PLUS the late fees they usually get the point. I'm notorious for taking off with the DCK to go to some far away store and then run around the store dodging from DCP's while they look for me. Okay I wasn't exactly "hiding" I just wasn't answering my phone and just kept moving aisle to aisle until they found me. Then THAT'S when I would look at my time and charge late fees until then. If they can't be bothered to show up on time then I can't be bothered to make an effort to be found.
I love this!! LOL

I was very close to leaving, but by the time I load a car seat in my vehicle and buckle up the kids DCM would've been very close. Next time you betcha- I am leaving with a note on my door
countrymom 06:25 AM 12-05-2012
this happened to me once. I had a family who would drop off whenever they wanted, and it was so disruptive because I couldn't schedual anything. So every week I would go to a playgroup, but we were always late because of them. So one day I had enough.

I drove into the city to a play group but I didn't leave a note. So she calls my dh and asks him and he tells her were I am. She was told the day before where I was going but she was always on her cell when she would pick up. So she had to drive into the city and then all the way back to the county for work, it was so funny. Even dh was laughing because he worked with her, taught her a lesson.
melilley 06:42 AM 12-05-2012
I read this and couldn't stop laughing!!!!!
Countrygal 11:51 AM 12-05-2012
ROFL!!!! You have moxie, girl!!! Lot's of little smilies (not working, sorry)
Reply Up