Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMW, I have a Warrant!
Unregistered 12:45 PM 12-10-2013
We have been down a vehicle for over a month now due to an accident. I had a rental and it was paid up through last Friday. In this month and a half I have been dealing directly with the rental company supervisor so I would get charged a better rate way under the $60 a day they normally charge when you extend past the initial contract. He knew I would be keeping the car until my car was done and I usually check in mid-week or so to extend for however many more days and we have no issues. Well, he left the company last week and a new guy came in. When I called to talk to the gentleman I was told he wasn't there, not that he was gone from the company, and he is the only one I dealt with because he had the override codes. Apparently, they tried to authorize my card for the additional days on Sunday and it didn't go through because we just bought a house and had to take money to closing. Had they CALLED me I would've given them another card, but NO, they decide to report the car as STOLEN and I was approached by two uniformed officers this morning demanding the car, along with two nerdy rental reps in the background. Now, I asked while they were there why they hadn't reached out to me and they said they had the wrong address, and the number they called had no answer. The latter may be true because we never answer the upstairs phone during the day because we're in the daycare; the former is a complete LIE because they knew RIGHT where to come at 6:30 in the morning to get the car. So, anyhow the police were nice but said they had to take me in because I had a warrant out of the town the vehicle was rented from. I wasn't handcuffed or anything, so I casually told my husband and assistant to tell the parents I would be out for the day and I went with them cordially, walking beside the officer unrestrained because I had done nothing wrong. Halfway to the cruiser the station radioed the officer back and told them to release me because they couldn't find the warrant and if the car had been recovered charges would likely be dropped by the company. We'll see. I called the town and the warrant is showing up NOW but I was advised not to come in for a few days to see what the rental company does-- so it doesn't cause undo issues for me in the future. But as of now, I have a warrant. I know I am not entirely faultless because I could've, should've been more proactive in making sure they had communication and monies but I've had the car so long it just didn't dawn on me. I was ignorantly awaiting a return call from the supervisor. This is so surreal to me though. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket in the past decade. Geesh!
coolconfidentme 12:50 PM 12-10-2013
WOW!..., I got nothing else!
MotherNature 01:12 PM 12-10-2013
wow-that sucks! I don't think it's your fault. Guy should've called you. I had a utility company once try to disconnect me. This was before the internet and online bill pay. I had never received the bill. They tried arguing that if I never got my bill, I should've called, looking for it. Yeah, I'll get right on that. I have other bills aside from the one, so I didn't even notice...
Unregistered 01:21 PM 12-10-2013
Yes, apparently the charge is Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle. It's a misdemeanor. I hope they drop it. I don't know what having a misdemeanor would mean for my future. Perhaps I should call a lawyer tomorrow... Hopefully it won't even been necessary. Miraculously, I have no anxiety surrounding the situation at all, though. It's just mind-blowing. Plus, I'll be the talk of the neighborhood for the next week, I'm sure.
Play Care 01:33 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes, apparently the charge is Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle. It's a misdemeanor. I hope they drop it. I don't know what having a misdemeanor would mean for my future. Perhaps I should call a lawyer tomorrow... Hopefully it won't even been necessary. Miraculously, I have no anxiety surrounding the situation at all, though. It's just mind-blowing. Plus, I'll be the talk of the neighborhood for the next week, I'm sure.
Never, ever, ever talk to the police/ turn yourself in without a lawyer.
I imagine it will be dropped as it was an honest mistake/oversight, but I would be vigilant about making sure all my i's were dotted and t's crossed. Good luck!
cara041083 01:51 PM 12-10-2013
I think I would speak to a lawyer and see what you can bring against the rental company for deformation of character. I don't think you did anything wrong. Now you have this hanging over your head and you had no idea. Its not your fault. Im sorry this happened to you

Maria2013 09:36 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Never, ever, ever talk to the police/ turn yourself in without a lawyer.
I imagine it will be dropped as it was an honest mistake/oversight, but I would be vigilant about making sure all my i's were dotted and t's crossed. Good luck!

even if you were released, that was a serious allegation and it could show up somewhere someday....make sure all records are clear
Tags:legal question, warrant
Reply Up