Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dying Profession
Retired 10:04 AM 06-01-2014
Hello everyone. I live in NJ and used to teach. When I had my first child, almost 30 years ago, I decided to do in home daycare. I was making pretty good money. I was making close to 3,000 a week in the early 90s. Then around 1998 or so, my number of children was limited to 5. My salary went to around 1,000. As my husband worked and we had benefits through his job, I didn't mind and it was a nice break from being overworked. I kept on chugging, because I had two children to put through college and knew with just his salary we wouldn't be able to make it. I didn't want to saddle my children with loans. My daughter has graduated college. She wanted to be a teacher, but there are no teaching jobs in NJ. She started a home daycare. She had so much trouble getting children and everyone wanted to like 100 a week tuition. NJ is very high cost of living. You can't survive on 500 a week and no benefits. I gave her all of my students and retired. I'm getting nervous as they are aging out, because NJ once they reach four they get school and before and after care from public schools. I'm also nervous, because NJ wants universal prek for 3 year olds. That hasn't hit where we live yet, but it's coming. I know NY has it already. I'm sure other states will follow. This used to be a good way for a mother to make a living.
playground1 10:57 AM 06-01-2014
I feel like there's a real problem with parents in the US. Everyone is so focused on what their kids know; colors, shapes, Chinese, vocabulary, blabla, etc. No one seems to be that interested in whether kids know right from wrong, empathy, how to use the toilet and wash hands, eat nicely, be kind to others. Many of their kids are just socially non-functioning!

And at the same time they want all of this for next to nothing because they feel that the only people that do child care are SAHMs or losers that can't do anything better. (Those CL ads aren't helping us there, though.)

We need to get back to basics, for real. I'm telling you, Sweden is doing it right. If you're interested here's a report on it.

http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2009-044.pdf
craftymissbeth 11:05 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
I feel like there's a real problem with parents in the US. Everyone is so focused on what their kids know; colors, shapes, Chinese, vocabulary, blabla, etc. No one seems to be that interested in whether kids know right from wrong, empathy, how to use the toilet and wash hands, eat nicely, be kind to others. Many of their kids are just socially non-functioning!

And at the same time they want all of this for next to nothing because they feel that the only people that do child care are SAHMs or losers that can't do anything better. (Those CL ads aren't helping us there, though.)

We need to get back to basics, for real. I'm telling you, Sweden is doing it right. If you're interested here's a report on it.

http://www.demogr.mpg.de/papers/working/wp-2009-044.pdf

cheerfuldom 12:05 PM 06-01-2014
Its a shame that you both have worked hard to see that she has a college education yet she is struggling along still with not much in the future. Might be time to consider moving to where there are jobs for her. I am sure that would be hard for you both. But yes, I agree that home childcare is coming towards the end of that era. I really can't imagine but that the public school system will begin offering preschool for all children and that the regulations will force home daycares out of business for good. That is why I am working towards a degree to return to work outside the home as soon as possible.
Annalee 12:21 PM 06-01-2014
Pre-k came in with a bang a few years ago, but have since remained without expansion, plus the hours are not compatible for most parents here. In the beginning it seemed everyone applied (pre-k here is for income eligible,then if spots are left, it is first come/first serve). Some classes do not even fill up now. There is talk of universal pre-k here but my opinion is that until funding/budget issues get better the pre-k is at a standstill, not going backwards but not expanding at this time due to schools overcrowding and no place for pre-k.
cheerfuldom 12:30 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Pre-k came in with a bang a few years ago, but have since remained without expansion, plus the hours are not compatible for most parents here. In the beginning it seemed everyone applied (pre-k here is for income eligible,then if spots are left, it is first come/first serve). Some classes do not even fill up now. There is talk of universal pre-k here but my opinion is that until funding/budget issues get better the pre-k is at a standstill, not going backwards but not expanding at this time due to schools overcrowding and no place for pre-k.
yes that is true. for now, our area does have some options for publically funded preK/preschool programs but only two schools offer full day programs and there are so many parents that want preschool/daycare all rolled into one. So there is generally space in the preschool programs if a parent is able to transport and doesnt need full day. I find it eye rolling that these type of programs are not what parents want......there isn't a huge interest unless it is full day, meals included, and cheap or preferably free. Its not really about education so much as free daycare. I have actually, sadly, heard that type of comment from local parents.
Annalee 12:36 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
yes that is true. for now, our area does have some options for publically funded preK/preschool programs but only two schools offer full day programs and there are so many parents that want preschool/daycare all rolled into one. So there is generally space in the preschool programs if a parent is able to transport and doesnt need full day. I find it eye rolling that these type of programs are not what parents want......there isn't a huge interest unless it is full day, meals included, and cheap or preferably free. Its not really about education so much as free daycare. I have actually, sadly, heard that type of comment from local parents.
FREE is the key word! I really can't see Pre-k expanding here because I do not know where they would house them...plus I think the next step is making pre-k available for everyone and that will take an astronomical amount of money that the state of TN does not have. Right now pre-k only takes children at age 4, the year before entering kindergarten so it really hasn't hurt home child care drastically. Actually, with the new common core, many parents are choosing to hold their children back an extra year for maturity issues.
Josiegirl 03:28 PM 06-01-2014
Our town has been trying to push a school budget through 5 times now. One suggestion was they eliminate the prek program. I wish they would!! Those kids are no more than mere babies! Children that age need stability, as much attention as possible, security and love, almost more like a second home environment than anything.
Why is there such a push to start a child's growing up years sooner than they should? Why can't children be allowed to be children? Without tons of structure or time limits or pushing memorizing down their throats? If they want to do prek within the school system, why don't they offer just a few mornings a week? A lot of schools here start with 2 mornings, then go to 3 mornings, then Kindergarten. Let the kids dig in the backyard all morning and watch worms wiggle, or chase butterflies, or whatever!
I'm 60. My kids are 21, 23 and 32. They all turned out intelligent, kind, respectful. They were not damaged people because they entered school at 5.
daycarediva 06:14 PM 06-01-2014
New York CITY has universal prek at 3. New York State just received $200 million dollars to child care subsidy, less than $40 went to the rest of New York.

In my area, we have a lottery-based full day upk for 4 year olds. One of my clients got in (it's free) and is keeping her daughter enrolled with me.

Is your daughters area saturated with home daycares? What does her competition look like? What's the standard market rate for her county? What do centers charge?

I'll be honest- in my area there is little demand for "basic care". I have a niche with a quality play based preschool program. There are only a couple of others in a 30 mile radius. Others have gone Montessori, nursery school/infants & young toddlers only, exclusive school age care.

I do not think this is a dying profession, but it's definitely changed to specialty care vs home away from home in my area.
Annalee 06:31 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
New York CITY has universal prek at 3. New York State just received $200 million dollars to child care subsidy, less than $40 went to the rest of New York.

In my area, we have a lottery-based full day upk for 4 year olds. One of my clients got in (it's free) and is keeping her daughter enrolled with me.

Is your daughters area saturated with home daycares? What does her competition look like? What's the standard market rate for her county? What do centers charge?

I'll be honest- in my area there is little demand for "basic care". I have a niche with a quality play based preschool program. There are only a couple of others in a 30 mile radius. Others have gone Montessori, nursery school/infants & young toddlers only, exclusive school age care.

I do not think this is a dying profession, but it's definitely changed to specialty care vs home away from home in my area.
You are right, it takes more than advertisement for "basic care" these days. I am a play-based program as well and have been in business over 20 years so I have a reputation for preparing children for Kindergarten even before I received my early childhood degrees/accolades. However, I find more and more clients concerned their children will be ready academically for the transition to school.....society, in general, has forgotten the social skills that are vital for children in this transition. Don't get me wrong, I do think clients are concerned with the care their children receive, but with the shift in school curriculum/testing, parents are leery about the academic issue. In my interviews, I attempt to pull clients on board with the play-based learning that will, not only enhance children's academic growth, but will allow for social-emotional growth as well and then I give them information supporting this. I find parents like it when you close in on "their" child and where they are developmentally and what they are learning at what pace. It can become a "game" with some parents but it is one I like to play because I do love to document growth in each child....kind of gives me a purpose!
Unregistered 02:50 AM 06-02-2014
I am from NJ in camden county. Childcare is all about the extras in my area now. What programs does she offer besides childcare? Programs around my area offer weekly activities such as gymnastics, soccer, swim lessons, music lessons. Find a niche and they will come. Weekly karate lessons are really popular too. For the most part the kids are transported to the lessons but occasionally like for soccer the coach came into the home to offer the lessons. Generally each season a new activity is offered.. summer is swim lessons, fall is soccer, winter gymnastics..spring music lessons ect.
Play Care 03:02 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:

We have districts that can barely afford to fund KINDERGARTEN, much less pre-K. A couple of years ago there was an uproar when a district, facing massive budget cuts, talked about cutting their K classes. They pointed out that K is NOT mandatory.

I also think a lot of parents quickly realize that they *still* need day care because those programs are school calendar schedule BUT their kids are NOT school aged. I'm not about to charge my SA rates to a 3 year old, KWIM?
Childminder 07:22 AM 06-02-2014
With the new Federal monies coming to the States for early education it is just a matter of time till all states jump on the bandwagon and offer FREE early preschool.

Our district had a sign on every corner, in front of every school, with FREE on it. Parents will only have to pay for before and after latchkey.

Our State incorporated Early preschool last fall and I lost my three year olds and most of my income. The only way I get SA children now is to provide transportation and take or pickup for the children whose parents hours don't mesh with the latchkey.

One other issue I found with the early school is that these babies, and they still are babies imo, is they don't get their naps and this is causing more behavioral problems.
MarinaVanessa 07:22 AM 06-02-2014
CA was in the process of creating a bill for "universal" prek, here they call it transitional kindergarten. So the bill was finally passed but has changed drastically from what it was originally. Instead of every child attending now it's that only low income children qualify to attend.

This is a completely different discussion but I'm getting really sick and tired of working my butt off to pay for those who don't work. My DS doesn't get to go to transitional kinder because we make "too much" but we don't make enough to afford private preschool regularly .
Retired 07:36 AM 06-02-2014
The problem isn't what she's offering. She's a certified teacher. She knows what is developmentally appropriate for the little ones. I don't know if they offer this in other states, but in NJ we have P-3 which teaches you how to work with students from birth to third grade and focuses more on the under 5 group. She's not green. She helped me with my daycare when she was a teen and during summers.

The issue is parents want super low rates, she's interviewed parents who went in knowing her rates and try to haggle with her! , because they know once that child is four (and in some areas three!) they get everything for free. If she gets less than 200 per child, she won't be able to pay her mortgage or healthcare.

I'm glad for those of you this isn't effecting, but just always be on the look out. In the late 80s, when I was making good money and could have more children than five, I thought "NJ will NEVER have enough money for full day kindergarten all over the state" which was my biggest competitor. Back then, I used to have children until they were five years old. Now, there's full day school for three year olds. Times change. So be ready for it.
Annalee 07:36 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
CA was in the process of creating a bill for "universal" prek, here they call it transitional kindergarten. So the bill was finally passed but has changed drastically from what it was originally. Instead of every child attending now it's that only low income children qualify to attend.

This is a completely different discussion but I'm getting really sick and tired of working my butt off to pay for those who don't work. My DS doesn't get to go to transitional kinder because we make "too much" but we don't make enough to afford private preschool regularly .
AMEN!!!!!
Unregistered 08:03 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
With the new Federal monies coming to the States for early education it is just a matter of time till all states jump on the bandwagon and offer FREE early preschool.

Our district had a sign on every corner, in front of every school, with FREE on it. Parents will only have to pay for before and after latchkey.

Our State incorporated Early preschool last fall and I lost my three year olds and most of my income. The only way I get SA children now is to provide transportation and take or pickup for the children whose parents hours don't mesh with the latchkey.

One other issue I found with the early school is that these babies, and they still are babies imo, is they don't get their naps and this is causing more behavioral problems.
Here, in Northern NJ, the schools offer free after school and breakfast for all four year olds. I know for the three year old areas, they get it too. Another problem with NJ is that every thing is political. For example, when I toyed with the idea of becoming a licensed center. I had so many hops to jumped through as a licensed teacher with a clean background. I've seen so many people who were sketchy or not real teachers get their own centers because they know someone, were related to someone, or were throwing money to local politicians like it was going out of style. Also in NJ, there is a smear campaign against home centers. How is one person taking care of five any worse than the conditions I see in "licensed" centers?
Retired 08:04 AM 06-02-2014
The last post was from me.
Annalee 08:11 AM 06-02-2014
I am NOT a pre-k fan, BUT I do think if pre-k is going to exist, IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE! I don't think it is fair for non-working/income eligible parents to receive free daycare!!!!! Here, you have to be employed to receive subsidy pay so why should pre-k be any different????
Reply Up