Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>How Much To Put Aside For Taxes??
jenboo 02:34 PM 06-27-2014
If you are married and your spouse works full time, how much do you put aside for taxes??

Im starting to stress because i am having a hard time putting anything aside. Things keep coming up...have to pay for training to get a sub because I am having some health issues, something big breaks, im down a child right now...

ugh it just seems impossible right now to get that money in the bank!
midaycare 06:59 PM 06-27-2014
I'm wondering about this too. I just opened up this year, and I have no idea how this will work. I am saving 20%.
Childminder 07:36 PM 06-27-2014
~~~~35%~~~~
jenboo 10:10 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
~~~~35%~~~~
Holy crap!!
35% even with a working spouse?
Childminder 07:30 AM 06-28-2014
I have a working spouse but he is only able to work part time. What we do is increase his withholdings to take an extra $50 per week and he files his W-4 as 0 to make it easier on us rather than set $$ aside and file quarterly. In this business so much depends on deductions and how much you are investing in your business each year.

I have been in this business so long that I have very little to deduct except the day to day operation costs. I never buy anything new and need very little in the way of toys and supplies. You will have more to deduct because you have so much more in start up cost, etc…

I also suggest you find a tax professional that specializes in day care because of the idiosyncrasies of this business. You can find links to ones in your state on the NAFCC site and probably through Tom Copeland's blog.

I recommend that you go to Tom Copeland's Blog and read all you can. He will answer your questions and more. He has some great books on the business of childcare and you can get them through NAFCC (which membership to is deductible 100%), he also has a partnership through Minute Menu for $15 a year that makes him personally available to you for any daycare business questions you could possibly think of. He is also a consultant on this forum so you could ask your questions here and he will get back to you in a very reasonable time, also you could perform a search here and probably find your answer.

Tom should pay me for advertising for him, I recommend him to every provider on every forum or daycare organization I am a part of.
TomCopeland 07:58 AM 06-28-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
If you are married and your spouse works full time, how much do you put aside for taxes??

Im starting to stress because i am having a hard time putting anything aside. Things keep coming up...have to pay for training to get a sub because I am having some health issues, something big breaks, im down a child right now...

ugh it just seems impossible right now to get that money in the bank!
How much you should set aside depends on your family circumstances. You will owe 15% Social Security tax and federal income tax on your business profit. The federal income tax will be about 15%-25% depending on how high your income is.

To be safe, set aside 20% of your income (before expenses). See my article on this: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2014/...-business.html
TomCopeland 07:58 AM 06-28-2014
I have a working spouse but he is only able to work part time. What we do is increase his withholdings to take an extra $50 per week and he files his W-4 as 0 to make it easier on us rather than set $$ aside and file quarterly. In this business so much depends on deductions and how much you are investing in your business each year.

I have been in this business so long that I have very little to deduct except the day to day operation costs. I never buy anything new and need very little in the way of toys and supplies. You will have more to deduct because you have so much more in start up cost, etc…

I also suggest you find a tax professional that specializes in day care because of the idiosyncrasies of this business. You can find links to ones in your state on the NAFCC site and probably through Tom Copeland's blog.

I recommend that you go to Tom Copeland's Blog and read all you can. He will answer your questions and more. He has some great books on the business of childcare and you can get them through NAFCC (which membership to is deductible 100%), he also has a partnership through Minute Menu for $15 a year that makes him personally available to you for any daycare business questions you could possibly think of. He is also a consultant on this forum so you could ask your questions here and he will get back to you in a very reasonable time, also you could perform a search here and probably find your answer.

Tom should pay me for advertising for him, I recommend him to every provider on every forum or daycare organization I am a part of.
The check is in the mail...
jenboo 09:44 AM 06-28-2014

Great thanks. I just opened in sept so I still have plenty of things I purchase. I do have a great tax guy. I have checked out the blog before but didn't feel like searching it last night haha.
Thank you for your advice.
rebekki78 08:32 AM 07-01-2014
I stated this in another thread, but this all depends on your family circumstances, how much profit you make, and how many deductions you claim.

My tax preparer said I shouldn't need to set any money aside since we receive so much back on our refund. My tax preparer stated it this way: Because we have so many children to claim and we get so much back, any amount that I would have needed to pay in will just come off of that amount that we receive back, so I should never have to worry about paying in until our children grow up. We are the working poor though.

I know other providers who are licensed for a group home and have no children who pay quarterly taxes since they would owe so much at the end of the year. So it totally depends on your situation.
melilley 11:21 AM 07-01-2014
I just opened last year and I didn't put any money aside, but between what dh made and had taken out, it covered me and we even got a refund. I'm not sure if my deductions from just starting out made a difference, but we asked our tax preparer if we should save any this coming year and she said we can, but should be fine.

So like pp's said, it depends on your family circumstances.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 07-01-2014
I recommend him to every provider on every forum or daycare organization I am a part of.
Me too! I even got booted off another forum for saying "Well, Tom Copeland says..." too many times.

Apparently the forum owner had a bad experience with a tax audit or with some advice she had gotten... I don't know all the details just that I was reprimanded for using his advice/suggestions/blogs in my posts to others.

Oh well...her loss! I still tell everyone I know about his books/advice/blogs etc.
jenboo 11:39 AM 07-01-2014
I just cant seem to get anything set aside.
Im going to have my dh withhold enough for the two of us.

cant wait to have kids for tax purposes
AngiesCareXYZ 08:33 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
How much you should set aside depends on your family circumstances. You will owe 15% Social Security tax and federal income tax on your business profit. The federal income tax will be about 15%-25% depending on how high your income is.

To be safe, set aside 20% of your income (before expenses). See my article on this: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2014/...-business.html
I really need some help. I don't know were to save even the 15% of my gross wages each quarter. I barely make it month to month.
Last year my Gross wages were just over 78,000 and my total expenses were over 63,000. 15% of 78,000 would put me in the negative for the year.
I use QBO and I am trying to set it up so that I can make these quarterly payments. I just don't see how the math works out. Do you work with QBO?
TomCopeland 07:23 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by AngiesCareXYZ:
I really need some help. I don't know were to save even the 15% of my gross wages each quarter. I barely make it month to month.
Last year my Gross wages were just over 78,000 and my total expenses were over 63,000. 15% of 78,000 would put me in the negative for the year.
I use QBO and I am trying to set it up so that I can make these quarterly payments. I just don't see how the math works out. Do you work with QBO?
Because you have so many expenses, you don't need to save 15% of your gross income. In your case, save 20% of your profit.
Martha Stewart 07:49 AM 04-08-2015
I would also go with 35%. SO many taxes to pay!! The self-employment tax drives me crazy!
Josiegirl 10:05 AM 04-08-2015
Are any of the taxes that we pay in deductible off next year's taxes?
Oh please say yes.
TomCopeland 02:20 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Are any of the taxes that we pay in deductible off next year's taxes?
Oh please say yes.
The state taxes you pay this year can help reduce your federal income taxes, if you itemize using Schedule A.
Unregistered 05:03 PM 04-08-2015
Don't know about any other state but in California my wife pays every quarter. We have the daycare and my ssdi so we end up at about 80 thousand a year. Now the tax man with all the deductions gets our income down to 0, but my wife pays about 700 dollars every quarter. That is for her ssi retirement. We don't buy much for the daycare or anything else but no mater what if she has fourteen kids or four kids the taxman always gets the income down to 0, go figure we still have to pay every year. When I was working we always got a refund but sence I retired we pay taxes. So if you got a good taxman, and he uses the right present you will have to pay self employed tax and ours has always been the same. Also we never pay state tax
LadyBug123 09:19 PM 08-18-2015
Originally Posted by AngiesCareXYZ:
Hello AngiesCareXYZ, just curious; How many kids do you have, how many helpers and how much you pay for rent. Sorry for asking so coarsely but I am in the process of opening my daycare so I am randomly reading thru the posts and trying to puzzle all the bits together, Thank you.., and wish you success... Sincerely LadyBug
Tags:withholding tax
Reply Up