Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Question-Phone
Thriftylady 11:46 AM 12-17-2015
I want to make sure I am understanding this right from Tom's book. We have three cell phones in our home that we share a plan on. DH has his in the semi (required for his job and most expensive since we also pay unlimited internet and such based on his needs) so it is only here when he is. We had DD's phone and my phone. They are with each of us. So home mostly but if DD goes to work she takes her phone. Am I correct in the understanding that I can claim the T/S on my phone since it isn't the only line?
TomCopeland 03:46 PM 12-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I want to make sure I am understanding this right from Tom's book. We have three cell phones in our home that we share a plan on. DH has his in the semi (required for his job and most expensive since we also pay unlimited internet and such based on his needs) so it is only here when he is. We had DD's phone and my phone. They are with each of us. So home mostly but if DD goes to work she takes her phone. Am I correct in the understanding that I can claim the T/S on my phone since it isn't the only line?
You can't deduct any of the monthly fee for the first line into your home. You can count your husband's line as the first one. Therefore, you can deduct the time-space % of the phone you use for your business.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:57 PM 12-17-2015
Wait, So providers can count their cell phone as time/space %? My cell phone is used for business and personal, so how would we get the percentage for the business portion? And how do we prove it?
Thriftylady 06:06 PM 12-17-2015
It can't be your only line in the house. So if it is your only phone then no. If not print the bill and use T/S.
TomCopeland 10:11 PM 12-17-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Wait, So providers can count their cell phone as time/space %? My cell phone is used for business and personal, so how would we get the percentage for the business portion? And how do we prove it?
As long as the cell phone is not the first line into your home you can deduct the business portion. Using your time-space % is a reasonable way to determine the business portion. Or, you could tract how many business vs. personal calls you use the phone over several months and use that percentage.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:55 AM 12-19-2015
How do I find the T/S%? It is not the only phone; my husband has a cell phone also. Trying to track how long I spend on the phone for business vs personal use sounds like more trouble than it's worth I assume texting counts, as well?
Thriftylady 08:03 AM 12-19-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
How do I find the T/S%? It is not the only phone; my husband has a cell phone also. Trying to track how long I spend on the phone for business vs personal use sounds like more trouble than it's worth I assume texting counts, as well?
Tom Copeland has great books to help with this. He also has a blog. Let me see if I can find the blog posting. You have to measure your house, use your attendance records to see how many hours kids were in care. Figure out your time spent on childcare when kids were not there. You can then use that to deduct some of your utilities, water, etc.
Thriftylady 08:05 AM 12-19-2015
Here see if this helps.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/the-time-...ercentage-quiz
Josiegirl 05:09 PM 12-19-2015
All these years I was under the impression we couldn't deduct any phone expenses unless we used it solely for our business and had a separate listing for it??
I've had a landline forever, but got a cellphone 7 years ago, one of 4 on a family plan. So I can deduct according to the T/S% from my one phone that I use, correct?
Somewhere I got it all wrong. Hmmm, learn something new every day!
TomCopeland 09:34 PM 12-19-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
All these years I was under the impression we couldn't deduct any phone expenses unless we used it solely for our business and had a separate listing for it??
I've had a landline forever, but got a cellphone 7 years ago, one of 4 on a family plan. So I can deduct according to the T/S% from my one phone that I use, correct?
Somewhere I got it all wrong. Hmmm, learn something new every day!
You got bad information somewhere. You don't need a separate business phone line that you use exclusively for your business. So, yes you can deduct the time-space % of your one phone you use for your business.
Reply Up