Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing for My Own Sickness
mamamanda 12:32 PM 04-03-2018
Had an interesting situation yesterday. I was diagnosed with strep throat early in the morning. I happened to not have any dcks due to spring break which was a blessing. Dr said I should feel better within 24 hrs of starting meds so I contacted the 1 family (2 children) that were planning to attend today & told them the diagnosis & I was concerned about passing the germs to their kiddos. However, I've been off all last week for my own family's vacation & dcm didn't feel she could take more time off work so I agreed to watch them thinking I would be on the mend.

Fast forward to about 10:00 last night, my fever spiked to 103 & I. Was. Miserable.
My head was spinning so bad I couldn't even walk to the kitchen for some ibuprofen. I crawled my way in there, alternating feeling like I was going to throw up or pass out. I texted dcm & apologized profusely, but explained I wasn't doing well at all & would not be able to provide care today. I'm not a complainer, but very honestly I was questioning a trip to the ER I was so bad. She got the text when she got up this morning & was able to have their gma watch them. She was very understanding, but I feel like it was just so irresponsible of me.

My fever just broke about an hour ago & I do feel a little better now. For future reference though, what would have been the proper way to handle that? It just seems wrong to text a family at 10pm to let them know, but I had no idea...
Country Kids 12:36 PM 04-03-2018
I feel you did the right thing in texting immediately. That way you could get the rest through the night without having to worry about getting up to text the family. I do have it in my sickness policy for me that if I'm sick and unable to care for kiddo's I will let them know immediately or by 6 AM.
Snowmom 12:51 PM 04-03-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Had an interesting situation yesterday. I was diagnosed with strep throat early in the morning. I happened to not have any dcks due to spring break which was a blessing. Dr said I should feel better within 24 hrs of starting meds so I contacted the 1 family (2 children) that were planning to attend today & told them the diagnosis & I was concerned about passing the germs to their kiddos. However, I've been off all last week for my own family's vacation & dcm didn't feel she could take more time off work so I agreed to watch them thinking I would be on the mend.

Fast forward to about 10:00 last night, my fever spiked to 103 & I. Was. Miserable.
My head was spinning so bad I couldn't even walk to the kitchen for some ibuprofen. I crawled my way in there, alternating feeling like I was going to throw up or pass out. I texted dcm & apologized profusely, but explained I wasn't doing well at all & would not be able to provide care today. I'm not a complainer, but very honestly I was questioning a trip to the ER I was so bad. She got the text when she got up this morning & was able to have their gma watch them. She was very understanding, but I feel like it was just so irresponsible of me.

My fever just broke about an hour ago & I do feel a little better now. For future reference though, what would have been the proper way to handle that? It just seems wrong to text a family at 10pm to let them know, but I had no idea...
^ bolded: it's never irresponsible to take of yourself.

Never feel bad about that! Ever!

We are entitled to be human.
Ariana 01:31 PM 04-03-2018
You had no idea and thought you’d feel better, it happens to everyone! I had strep a few weeks ago and ended up closing for 3 days (my daughter also had scarlet fever). I texted the parents and let them know I was hoping to be better by X but that I might need to take the rest of the week off. Luckily my parents are great and very understanding.

You need to take care of you first and foremost. Strep is TERRIBLE! I was sleeping 12 hours or more daily until my meds kicked in a few days later. Brutal.

I always give a heads up that I *might* have to cancel, that way people are prepared.
storybookending 02:05 PM 04-03-2018
I got strep every March every year I was in college.. it’s no joke. Irresponsible would’ve been agreeing to take them and getting them sick so don’t beat yourself up about having to call off. Everyone gets sick, glad dcm was understanding.
284878 05:08 AM 04-04-2018
I was sick a few weeks ago. My text to the families said. "Sorry Day Care will be closed today due to illness, you will be credited for the day. Thank you for understanding." I left no room for them to change my mind nor did I explain anymore than illness or who was sick. They all responded while I was sleeping and when I got around to it, I sent them their new invoice.
I sent the text around 3 am after I got sick.
mamamanda 07:01 AM 04-04-2018
Thank you everyone. You've made me feel a little better about things. This strep is really kicking my butt. I start to feel better & then the fever returns. I'm closed again today. My throat hurts terribly & I try to get up & clean things/spray the area I've been sitting on, etc & within about 3 min I'm back on the couch. What in the world? I need some energy back!

I'm going to try to air out the house & Lysol everything later today.
e.j. 11:03 AM 04-04-2018
Strep is a 4-letter word in my house! I don't know how anyone could work while they have it; it makes me feel that miserable when I get it. You thought you'd feel better but it didn't work out that way. I would hope the dc family (families) understand and appreciate the fact that illness is beyond your control and that by closing, you lessen their chances of getting it, too. Try to rest - without guilt - if you can. I hope you feel better soon.
Ariana 11:14 AM 04-04-2018
Thank you everyone. You've made me feel a little better about things. This strep is really kicking my butt. I start to feel better & then the fever returns. I'm closed again today. My throat hurts terribly & I try to get up & clean things/spray the area I've been sitting on, etc & within about 3 min I'm back on the couch. What in the world? I need some energy back!

If it is any consolation I didn’t do that and no one else got it besides me and I caught it from my daughter who got it at school. I got it from her because I was the one taking care of her of course!! Just make sure every cough is covered and you wash your hands.

Rest!!
Tin Blues 01:52 PM 04-04-2018
I thought you had to be on antibiotics for at least 24 hours before you could open with strep.
284878 04:48 AM 04-05-2018

Have you called the doctor back yet? When I was on meds for an illness and had a fever spiked, it was because my body was rejecting the meds. I was put on a different antibiotics and I started feeling better and got back on my feet faster.
When I had strep last, I don't remember a fever or being that exhausted after I started the meds.
mamamanda 08:11 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Have you called the doctor back yet? When I was on meds for an illness and had a fever spiked, it was because my body was rejecting the meds. I was put on a different antibiotics and I started feeling better and got back on my feet faster.
When I had strep last, I don't remember a fever or being that exhausted after I started the meds.
I didn't b/c my son just went through this 2 weeks ago and he responded the same way. We even took him back and got the "shot" version of antibiotic 2 days after starting antibiotics by mouth and he still fought fever for about 3 days. I thought it was a fluke with him, but after reacting the same way I think maybe we just got a really bad strain or something. I feel a lot better today, but still have this splitting headache. Fever is finally gone though. If it wouldn't have broken by today I definitely would have gone back. I'm hoping to work tomorrow and then rest all weekend.
Tags:closing due to illness, sick provider
Reply Up