Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do Your Littles Call You?
AmyKidsCo 01:31 PM 07-15-2014
Taken from a FB group... What do the children call you?

I struggled with this for 19 years...
I didn't like Ms/Miss Firstname because it's grammatically incorrect.
I didn't like Mrs. Lastname because IMO it's too formal.
I didn't like Firstname because it's so informal.

This past year I finally succumbed to Miss Amy, but half of the children are my grandchildren so I'm called Miss Amy and Grandma indiscriminately by all the children! It cracks me up when my granddaughter calls me Miss Amy then a non-related child calls me Grandma. I wouldn't mind except it makes me feel old...
LysesKids 01:38 PM 07-15-2014
I've been called grandma Lyse, Lycée (nicknamed by my asian parents), Nana Lyse, Maw Maw and Ms Elyse ( current parent of a 6 month old); I'm almost 54 and I have 7 grands of my own... as long as they don't say hey lady or call me a derogatory name, I'm good
Heidi 01:43 PM 07-15-2014
I considered having the kids call me "Oma" for a while when I started back into daycare (German for Gma), but decided I wasn't ready to embrace that title full-time.

I also thought of "Aunt Heidi", which is a common German practice for adult family friends. You sort of adopt your parents friends as honorary aunts and uncles because first name is too forward and last name is too formal. They also use it with things like doctors and dentists. Going to the "Onkel Doctor" is less scary.

Ok, so I don't know if Germans still do this, it was common when I was a kid.

In the end, I vary between Heidi and Miss Heidi (real name is not Heidi), but mostly just first name. Any adult that visits, though, is "Miss Sonja" or "Mr. Jerry",and so are all our neighbors.
Blackcat31 01:48 PM 07-15-2014
When I had my own children in care, everyone called me "mom".

When I had my niece and nephew in care, everyone called me "Auntie BC"

Now most the kids just call me "Miss BC" (first name only).

Alot of the kids just talk and I know they are talking to me so I guess I don't have a preference.

The only time I say anything is if they call me "grandma" (I am NOT a grandma..yet ) or "Dad" (I will NEVER be a father ) or if they say "Hey you" or something else I would consider to be on the rude side.
TickleMonster 02:05 PM 07-15-2014
Im Miss (firstname) and they all call my mom grandma. I get uncomfortable if they call me mama and always correct them.
Angelsj 02:45 PM 07-15-2014
Angel is a nickname, not my real name, but it has stuck throughout life. All the daycare kids, and my own kids growing up and now my grandkids call me Angel.

Sometimes they mess up and call me Grandma, and I am fine with that.
midaycare 03:42 PM 07-15-2014
Mine call me "Miss Midaycare", First name. It was weird to make the transition into daycare because all of my son's friends now call me "Moss Midaycare" instead of Mrs. Mylastname, which I was used to.
Unregistered 04:04 PM 07-15-2014
at my daughter's daycare when she was an infant, one of the aids introduced herself as "Grandma" and expected all the kids and adults to call her that. It really bugged me- she's not mine nor my kid's grandma.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:05 PM 07-15-2014
I go by Mrs. Steinel. I think that kids need to learn titles. They have had no problem with calling me title and last name.
NightOwl 04:10 PM 07-15-2014
I'm miss first name or chichi. My real name is Trixie and lots of littles have trouble with that. So it evolved into chichi.
MissAnn 05:56 PM 07-15-2014
I don't think I need to answer this.....kinda obvious.
coolconfidentme 06:02 PM 07-15-2014
mimi...., my g'kids were here when I started my daycare & all the kids just started calling me mimi too.
Unregistered 06:05 PM 07-15-2014
80 % of the time they call me mom, the rest of the time some mangled version of my first name. Funny that they all slip and call me mom, but if one of the other kids makes the error, someone is quick to pounce and correct.
Play Care 06:14 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
at my daughter's daycare when she was an infant, one of the aids introduced herself as "Grandma" and expected all the kids and adults to call her that. It really bugged me- she's not mine nor my kid's grandma.
I agree, that would weird me out.
Atoz 06:14 PM 07-15-2014
My name is miss melissa but they cant pronounce it. So they call me miss a yissa and miss a wissa lol I like it better they way they say it.
TwinKristi 06:21 PM 07-15-2014
Miss Kristi or Kristi but one insists on calling me mommy. She calls dh daddy too... It's really kinda creepy to me.
AmyKidsCo 06:30 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That would bother me too. My mom and dad are over often and they call my mom Grandma Irene and my dad Gumpa.
hope 06:37 PM 07-15-2014
Miss "first name". The real little ones try to call me just by my first name but usually end up getting half of it out. They all do call my mom Nana and she loves it!
daycare 06:42 PM 07-15-2014
they call me MS First NAME

funny when my son says Mommy Miss N.............

years ago they used to call me resah, which is short for Mudarresah, which means teacher in arabic, but I don't even try to teach arabic anymore. It didnt work for either areas that I was in before and now I can hardly speak the language very well.
daycare 06:43 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Miss "first name". The real little ones try to call me just by my first name but usually end up getting half of it out. They all do call my mom Nana and she loves it!
the first time that I heard someone called nanna, I thought that it was short for banana. I was with a friend and I said that's so mean that everyone calls your grandmother a banana to her face. They got a good laugh out of me.....
Wubby 06:51 PM 07-15-2014
All my dc kids and grand-kids call me Wubby. One of my dc kids (he's almost 15) started calling me Wubby when he was about 14mos. He was having a very troubled family time and I was his only security, hence the wubby blanket.
Lucy 07:20 PM 07-15-2014
They call me by my first name. In my 20 years, I've had two parents (a few years apart) introduce me to their child as Miss Firstname, and they were both from the South. After the parent left, I told them they could just call me by my first name.

We take my mom to various appointments (my current kids are ages 6-11, I'm 51, and my mom is 79), and they call her by her first name as well.
jenboo 07:34 PM 07-15-2014
I'm miss Jen or Jen.
DH is hubs
One DCK sounded like he was calling him hugs. It took me a few weeks until I figured out he was saying hubs. His mom and I thought it was hilarious. I guess I never refer to DH as his name so the kids just call him what I do.
This same DCM will come in and say "hi hubs" if my DH is in the room and then she laughs. It's great.
CraftyMom 07:54 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I don't think I need to answer this.....kinda obvious.

CraftyMom 07:59 PM 07-15-2014
Miss (craftymom) or just (craftymom).

I prefer the Miss or Ms. Mrs sounds weird to me with just a first name. I'm not a formal enough person for Mrs lastname

They all call me Mommy at some point, some more than others.

They call my husband Daddy quite often, because when he walks in the door my 3 kids yell "Daddy!!" so all the dcks join in too. It's pretty funny when he comes home and a room full of kids yell Daddy! He gets a chuckle out of it, but reminds them he is NOT their daddy I just remind them of his name and they correct themselves. It's Adam, and one dcg has named him Daddam, a combo of his name and Daddy

My mother in law comes by often as my assistant and joins us on field trips. They all call her grandma, she loves it!
nothingwithoutjoy 06:42 AM 07-16-2014
They all call me by my first name. In my handbook, where I introduce myself, I specifically say that's what they should call me. I don't want a title. I feel the kids deserve the same respect from me that I deserve from them, and titles don't factor into that for me. To me, a title doesn't mean respect. I think calling someone the name they prefer is respectful. Curiously, my sister, raised the same way as I was, is very much "Mrs. last-name" to every kid she knows. Personal preference, I guess.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 07-16-2014
On the flip side, I often call my DCK's "Miss Johnson" or "Mr Smith" or sometimes say Miss/Mr (first name) too.

I think it helps the kids learn and understand names (first and last).
Childminder 07:59 AM 07-16-2014
I have been an aunt since I was 1 year old so have always been "Aunt Cheri". Enter grandkids and now 1/2 call me Gramma and 1/2 Aunt Cheri. Oh, and some call me Gramma Cheri.
Second Home 08:43 AM 07-16-2014
I am called either Ms Missi , Missi , Ms Melissa . It really depends on what the parents want , it does not matter to me.
Here it is common for all adults to be adressed with Ms or Mr then their first name . I have had my kids corected by adults when they used Ms and their last name , .
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:53 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On the flip side, I often call my DCK's "Miss Johnson" or "Mr Smith" or sometimes say Miss/Mr (first name) too.

I think it helps the kids learn and understand names (first and last).
I always refer to adults Mr, Mrs, Miss last name.
Chellieleanne 11:46 AM 07-16-2014
I just go by my first name. I was Miss Chellie when I worked at a center but the kids never said Miss, it was always Chellie I don't mind either, kids will learn titles as they grow up. I can understand for 5yo but younger, let them learn how to respect an adult first then bring titles later

Edit: this all being said. My first grade teacher is really good friends with my family and even though I am long out of first grade and school, she is still (and forever) Mrs. Young to me! I just can't call her by her first name, just too weird for me to say it.
SSWonders 12:22 PM 07-16-2014
I use my first name. The only Mrs. So and So was my husband's mother and I prefer not to be called that, lol.
Meeko 04:14 PM 07-16-2014
Just by my first name.

"Miss" or "Mrs" makes me feel 100 years old for some reason.

I also make a point of marketing my daycare as a HOME setting and not a school.....so I do away with the school-type name.
Butter Biskets 08:24 PM 07-16-2014
Mine just call me by my first name. It seems like it would be weird to be called Miss Kelly because I am not a teacher.
AmyKidsCo 09:00 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by KellyinCalgary:
Mine just call me by my first name. It seems like it would be weird to be called Miss Kelly because I am not a teacher.
I struggled with being called a teacher for years also, because to me "teacher" means someone standing in front of a class with a chalkboard at her back.

Recently I've embraced the term because I DO teach the children things, all day every day. Not 2 + 2 = 4, but how to resolve conflict, use utensils, climb stairs, put on a coat, etc, etc, etc. Every day we help our children develop life skills - we may not have chalkboards behind our backs or a room full of students at desks, but we ARE teachers.
BumbleBee 09:20 PM 07-16-2014
I've always been called Miss *my first name.*

They call my mom Miss *her first name*
MsLisa 07:47 AM 07-17-2014
I never planned on being called anything but my first name but on the 1st day of my Before & After care, DCB called me "Ms Lisa" and it stuck.
I've loved hearing it ever since.
Reply Up