Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Delay?
auntymimi 07:14 PM 08-22-2015
I have a super sweet 30 mo dcg whom I've known science about 18 mos. she's been in care about 7 weeks now, but is very part time, 1-2 days a week but is with me 12 hrs+ for those days. She had never been in group care before and was a little behind socially but making good progress. Thing is, she has to be right next to me at all times, and cries if I walk into another room even if I'm within sight (I have an open floor plan). When I cook, she stands at the gate and bawls. Like hysterical crying. Keeps repeating "I'm ok" which is what I tell her often. "You're ok, you're safe, I'm right here. She's done awesome with learning to nap, learning to sit to eat, not carrying "cuppy" all day. But the crying thing worries me. Has anyone ever seen this in a kid this age? This is something I usually see in much younger children. She doesn't speak very clearly, but she does try to communicate. There has been some neglect issues in the past. She's very intelligent, knows her ABC's and can count to 10. I'm just concerned about her emotionally and how that effects her ability to socialize with her peers.
grateday 02:53 PM 08-24-2015
Very little to go off of to determine developmental delay. I would not worry. Some kids need a lot more love in there love tank. Maybe she is empty in her bucket. Have you ever heard of the bucket book? She might be a child that needs that closer connection with people. Maybe her family is close with her at home and since she is part time she expects it in group care. It could be that her family is busy and she has higher needs to, but it is hard to say. Just keep giving her that one on one that she craves (when you can), she will be happier and come around. I have one here that just needs that more is all. Great kid and has a great big heart.

Anytime another kiddo gets a boo boo, that one is the first child to be concerned and I am proud of her for it
spedmommy4 07:07 PM 08-24-2015
I have seen that behavior in kids that age under two circumstances. The first is a history of attachment issues. (Eg: parental absence, neglect) The second is learned behavior. For example, I have a new 2 year old dcg who has learned that she is entitled to her very own adult at all times. She has also learned that crying is an excellent way to get your own adult.

If dcg is okay, I would keep doing what you are doing. I would NOT pick her up when she is crying. Tell her, I'll pick you up when your are all done (crying) and do it. I would probably talk to parents to see what they say if it persists despite your efforts.
Tags:developmentally delayed
Reply Up