Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Private sitting and Daycare? Fees? Thoughts?
Nebula 01:40 AM 09-17-2013
So we run our Daycare, and have very few enrolled.

For years though, before I did daycare I have done private babysitting/Nanny work,and continue to do so. Though recently it seems things are leaking from private sitting/daycare. Does anyone else do private sitting? When I get a new client, I have to decide which their cheaper rate is (be it hourly private sitting, or weekly flat rate). In fact, my daycare idea started from having a "few toys on hand" for private sitting clients kids... if they chose to use my house

Here is my Fee Schedule, and was wondering what you guys think. Our operating hours for the daycare are until 7 PM......

Daycare Fees- (we only do 18 months to 4 years)
Weekly Flat Rate: $80 per child
Daily Drop in: $30 per child

Private sitting fees-
Hourly- $7.00/$2.00 hour each additional
Weekly Flat Rate: $120

The private sitting I will go to their house, where in the daycare they have to bring them here (I live a little out of the way), so that saves me gas by charging less. Plus I am more comfortable watching kids in my home.. I don't have enough kids to make a living full time doing daycare, which is why I supplement with the private sitting.

Was just wondering if anyone else did this? Am I going in the right direction or should I pick one and stick with it?

Thanks
Mel
MotherNature 05:35 AM 09-17-2013
All I think is that if you start getting clients, you won't have a clear schedule to nanny/babysit, except for maybe weekends. Personally, after 50 hours, I treasure my free weekends.
Leigh 05:55 AM 09-17-2013
I can't imagine making it on an $80 per child weekly rate. I charge $125, and I would like to raise that. Have you considered a rate increase to help cover expenses? If you are working full-time with the daycare and not making ends meet that way, it's time to find a different career or raise your rates to a level where you can support yourself. As far as babysitting rates (going to their home), $7 is not at all out of line-I got $6/hr in high school 25 years ago.
Nebula 05:58 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I can't imagine making it on an $80 per child weekly rate. I charge $125, and I would like to raise that. Have you considered a rate increase to help cover expenses? If you are working full-time with the daycare and not making ends meet that way, it's time to find a different career or raise your rates to a level where you can support yourself. As far as babysitting rates (going to their home), $7 is not at all out of line-I got $6/hr in high school 25 years ago.
I also tutor @ the College, Tutor Privately, and Hubby works so we do OK. Plus I draw social security (long story)
itlw8 05:58 AM 09-17-2013
I would think business hours extended hours. during business hours you charge the weekly fee for f/t clients. If they do not sign o long range they are still drop I even if it is 5 days.

after childcare hours and weekends charge your hourly fee you do not figure if you can charge them less Those children are not f/t childcare They do ot get the discount. now you can tell them what you charge enrolled f/t and maybe get a new client.

Less work costs more.

$80 a week f/t ???? you have got to raise that If your drop in is $30 then f/t needs to be at least $100 minimum What is the going rate in your area. And until 7??? after 5:30 should be extended hours and charge hourly PLUS the f/t rate.
Nebula 06:01 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I would think business hours extended hours. during business hours you charge the weekly fee for f/t clients. If they do not sign o long range they are still drop I even if it is 5 days.

after childcare hours and weekends charge your hourly fee you do not figure if you can charge them less Those children are not f/t childcare They do ot get the discount. now you can tell them what you charge enrolled f/t and maybe get a new client.

Less work costs more.
Or just have my "business hours" be 24/7 and between a certain time the rate is hourly? Like I have to see, this economy is bad here. Most of my parents are minimum wage workers, which means 7.25 an hour, if they are paying me $7.00 an hour that's basically their entire paycheck going to sitting.
itlw8 06:12 AM 09-17-2013
do they work 24/7 ??? you will burn out doing that you can say no. If they only make 7.25 an hour not they can not pay 7 an hour but surely they get some sort of subsidy.Are they working or going out during those extended hours?

The reason f/t childcare costs less than hourly drop in is you have several children during business hours. If they want one on one care they need to pay for it. And yes I am sorry that a minimum wage job will not pay for a nanny
Nebula 10:34 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
do they work 24/7 ??? you will burn out doing that you can say no. If they only make 7.25 an hour not they can not pay 7 an hour but surely they get some sort of subsidy.Are they working or going out during those extended hours?

The reason f/t childcare costs less than hourly drop in is you have several children during business hours. If they want one on one care they need to pay for it. And yes I am sorry that a minimum wage job will not pay for a nanny
I don't get subsidy, I can't take CCS Because of the Tier I am on (Listed Family Home) Right now I'm leaving it that daycare hours are from 7 AM to 7 PM, with 5-7 pm being charged an hourly rate.
spinnymarie 11:41 AM 09-17-2013
I would say that if you are not making enough income to suit your needs as daycare and have no children to keep you at your house, I would definitely try the nanny job, or even a nanny share situation - if you are sitting at their house you have none of the expenses of daycare - food, utilities, etc - and you can charge more for the one-on-one care. $7/hr seems low to me as well, and I agree that your target market probably won't be those making minimum wage.
Reply Up