Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom's Books
Little People 10:09 AM 01-03-2011
Tom, I want to order your books but I have a couple questions. The one book that everyone suggests is the 2010, my question is this book for my taxes for the year 2011? Also which books do you highly recommend I purchase? I want to order then tomorrow and want to order all I need at one time.

I want to get on the right track for 2011. I want to keep perfect records. Any advice?
TomCopeland 10:31 AM 01-03-2011
I written several books on taxes and record keeping. My Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide (8th edition published in 2010) describes what is deductible (lists over 1,000 deductions) and how to keep records. This book is revised about every 5 years.

My Family Child Care Tax Workbook is revised each year. The 2010 version that will be available as of January 17th is for doing your 2010 taxes. The book is for providers doing their own taxes - it goes through each form, line by line. It covers all new tax changes and explains how to claim depreciation, hire employees, etc.

My Family Child Care Tax Companion is revised each year. The 2010 version that will be available as of Jan 17th is for 2010 taxes. The book is for providers who use tax preparers. It's a series of worksheets that you fill out and give to your tax preparer to make sure he/she is not making mistakes.
JeepGirl6 10:44 AM 01-03-2011
I ordered your book Family Child Care 2009 Tax Workbook and Organizer off Amazon yesterday not realizing you revise your books every year. Will I still be able to use this book for my taxes for 2010.. This is my first year doing taxes, I would like to try to use Turbotax...Will the 2009 version of your book help me through what I need to do for taxes? Thanks
TomCopeland 09:11 AM 01-04-2011
The 2009 Tax Workbook and Organizer was designed for the 2009 tax year. If you use this for your 2010 taxes it will probably cover about 90% of what you need. But there have been changes in the tax rules for 2010. See http://tinyurl.com/2dvp25y for a listing of the key changes for 2010 that affect family child care providers.

If you are using Turbo Tax and the 2009 Tax Workbook to do your taxes I think you should be okay because Turbo Tax will pick up on the new changes.
Tags:money management, taxes, tom copeland
Reply Up