Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MN Budget Shutdown....
jojosmommy 08:11 AM 06-20-2011
Mn is facing a budget shutdown July 1. Basically we will not be getting paid for assistance clients until the budget is resolved. Also, we MAY NEVER get paid for clients on assistance during the shutdown and have recieved this in writing from our assistance proivder/dhs. Basically, if you are a provider and you CHOOSE to continue to have the kids at daycare you may not get paid for the days they are there while the shutdown is in progress. The state may decide after the shutdown to fairly pay providers for services rendered during that time but that is unclear. After the shutdown and the budget is resolved you will continue to get payments for assistance clients starting after the budget is resolved.

So, do you continue to keep the kids in care with the hope that the state will quickly resolve the budget AND decide to pay for services during the intermediate time OR do you tell the families they have to make other arrangements and to what extreme do you do that? Do you encourage/require them to pay for daycare on their own (which in many cases is out of their budget) or do you tell them the kids can not come to care until the budget is resolved and thus never have a chance at making money during that time (can't bill the state for time they arent here even IF the state decides to pay providers for that in between time).

Its not relaistic in this area to fill the space with someone else- less than two weeks time to do so. So basically I am faced with the choice to provide care (which may be free thanks to the state of MN) or have less kids during the shutdown and a lot less $ also.

I have 4 kids on assistance of the total 6 kids I have in care. Mom has already said she can not pay for all the daycare costs and has asked her job for a temporary leave if need be.

What would you do? Help!?
squareone 09:03 AM 06-20-2011
Ouch, that's a tough one. At first thought, I would send a letter to parents informing them that effective two weeks from today, you will be temporarily suspending care from state paid clients until you get a guarantee from the government that you will be paid. Give the parents the option to pay out-of-pocket (most probably won't be able to) and tell them you will reimburse them if and when you get paid from the state. Let them know that you love your job but you cannot afford to do it for free. Start interviewing for self-pay clients immediately.

If you decide to continue care, offer bare-bones, basic care. Have the parents supply EVERYTHING so that you have as little overhead as possible. Suspend your participation in the food program and have the parents provide all meals, drinks and snacks. If you supply diapers and wipes have the parents bring them, etc, etc. Suspend any paid curriculum programs that you use and and use free ones from the internet, make free crafts and have parents donate recycable materials like empty paper towel rolls, cereal boxes, scrap paper,etc for crafts. Suspend paid field trips and just walk to the neighborhood playground, nature walks,etc. Let parents know that you regret having to do this but if you work together, everyone can get through this and regular services will resume when the state budget is resovled.
GretasLittleFriends 09:09 AM 06-20-2011
I got the same letter you did. Right now I only have one child on assistance. I'm fairly certain the mother got a similar letter in the mail, though I haven't yet asked.

I plan to talk to her about it tomorrow evening. What I am proposing is that she pay out of pocket from July 1 until the budget resolution. I will be willing to set up a payment plan for her if necessary. Meaning if she can only afford FOR EXAMPLE $50 a week and I say charge $100 a week. She can pay me $50 a week even after the budget is balanced and her balance with me is taken care of.

If we are lucky and if the state does allow back pay to the providers for those clients on assistance, I will then reimburse her the amount she paid me during that time.

Like I said, I only have one client on assistance, but would do this for all of them if I had more.
Meeko 09:23 AM 06-20-2011
Oh my goodness...what a mess!

Typical government.....I am sure those at the top will not be losing one penny in pay or benefits.....

You really are between a rock and hard place with this problem.

If it were me, I would go on tending the children and hope and pray that the state gets its rear in gear and takes care of the problem. It's not ideal...but I can't see any decent alternatives that won't hurt even more.

Your only other choice is to charge the parents (impossible for some to pay, I know) or let them go. Terming is hard for all. You still end up with no money and the mom could lose her job if she doesn't show up. No other provider is going take a child she isn't going to get paid for.

Good luck with this. My heart just aches for you....it's a terrible situation.

Most importantly.....I would also get together with as many day care providers as you can and bombard the state with letters, calls and e-mails SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. " Get others active!

"When am I going to get paid?"
"Where's my money"?
"I want to speak to a supervisor" etc.....etc.....etc.....day in and day out until it changes.

Contact local papers and tell them your story. Contact your state leaders. Get the parents to call and write too. The kids are ultimately going to suffer if their parents lose their jobs because they can't find day care. Kids are going to suffer if day care providers can't make a living and close down.

State admin don't like the public knowing about their less than savory decisions....especially if it involves children. I would not be shy about exploiting that angle and shaming your state leaders.

If you all just grin and take it, they will assume it's OK to do this. Make yourselves such a pain in the neck that they will want to solve things as soon as possible.

Good luck.....I'm cheering for you!
MarinaVanessa 09:42 AM 06-20-2011
That's been happening here in CA for the last few years. Any time that the budget isn't approved on time subsidy checks are late and sometimes reduced. I don't know if you can do this or not but this is what we do here when this happens.

(assuming that you will continue to be paid by subsity until July 1st)
Give your families a written notice with a choice of either

a) Beginning July 1st they pay you out of pocket to continue childcare services in your daycare and reimburse the parents back once you get your subsidy checks. Any money that subsidy doesn't pay they are still responsible for so for example if you are owed $600 for a family one month but because of budget cuts subsidy only sends you a $500 check then you reimburse the family only $500. Or ...

b) Their care is suspended as of July 1st (your notice if given now will serve as your notice of termination) and you will begin advertising to fill their spot. If the budget matter gets resolved quickly and subsidy reimbursements aren't changed and you have not filled their spot then they are welcome to come back.

Last year it was so bad here that providers didn't get checks for several months and programs that parents were on got cut or terminated so providers that did eventually get checks lost out on 15% of what they were supposed to get and some that were on the programs that were terminated were never paid at all. Last year I wasn'y affected because I didn't have clients on subsidy at that time. Once the budget was approved one of my clients went on subsidy and this year I'm prepared for it. Good luck and hopefully it's not too bad for you.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 06-20-2011
Yes, ALL families receiving assistance and childcare providers (whether they have families on assistance or not) recieved letters stating what will happen during the potential state shut down late last week.

I sent out notice to all the families I currently have receiving CCAP services earlier in the month. I was aware of the possible shut-down and it's effects through an e-mail from the state in the beginning of June. (I would advise all providers in MN to suscribe to e-mail notification of changes. You can do this at the MN DHS website.) It helps get the heads up on things early.

The notice I sent to my families on CCAP lets them know of the up coming shut-down. The solutions I offered to them are that they can continue to attend childcare IF:
*we construct a temporary contract stating that they are aware they will need to cover ALL expenses NOT covered by the state and agree to a specific time line for paying for their services during this time. (These are individual contracts between myself and each family) and that they agree to
*use the bare minimum for work or school hours ONLY

If they wish to take an extended leave of absence, then I will consider June 30th as their 2 week notice and I will begin to fill spaces from my wait list as needed to maintain my own financial needs. Payment for the final notice will need to be spelled out in a payment plan as well.

I fully understand the difficulty this will make for some of these families but as I always stress to all families, I need to continue to do what works best for ME and my business.

Let's all just hope a resolution will happen before a shut-down does occur.
jojosmommy 10:23 AM 06-20-2011
Thanks for all the support! I think its fair to say pay or go away however I am in a really tight spot right now as this family has 4 kids (SURPRISE!) and pays nothing for daycare now so I know they would never be able to pay me the thousands it would be for care per month if I asked out of pocket.

Also, this family is leaving me September 1 anyway (and has been more than fair about giving me notice) as most of the kids are going to be in school. I am sort-of filling their space with a family starting back after maternity late aug. Plus I will have my own in October so I was really hoping to hold on to this family until sept 1 (and their money) and then take it a little easier once our own is born. I did not however plan to be done with them this soon. All my other families went pt this summer- which I allowed mostly b/c I am preggo and wanted an easier summer. I shouldn't have painted myself into the corner but I guess you never know what is going to happen until it does.

I don't want to post ads for a temp position for the summer for 1 or 2 kids when I would rather take this family back once the budget is resolved. They have super easy hours and a number of days this summer I am working 9-3:30. I know that wouldn't be the case with another family.

Well, I think I will talk to mom tonight about it and see if she will keep sending them on a super PT basis so that IF the budget gets worked out I still get paid some of what I would have made and if not I am not totally inconvienced by them being here and not getting paid. I will talk to her about a payment plan and let her know I will pay her back IF/when I get reimbursed by the state.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

We also just got info from our food program saying that the money is quarenteed however payments will be delayed if state workers are laidoff as nobody will be available to process the payments.
MarinaVanessa 10:30 AM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

I don't want to post ads for a temp position for the summer for 1 or 2 kids when I would rather take this family back once the budget is resolved. They have super easy hours and a number of days this summer I am working 9-3:30. I know that wouldn't be the case with another family.
Well then just notify them (always, ALWAYS in writing) that you will play it by ear. If there is a shutown it'll take time to get there so maybe you will only miss out on some money, if any.
KUP.
MN Day Mom 10:55 AM 06-20-2011
I'm also in Minnesota, however I do not have any families on assistance and I also did not get a letter.

All that said... if I did have families on assistance I would do whatever I could to allow them to keep working and allow their children to remain with me. I would have confidence that I would get reimbursed after the budget is resolved. I would probably work out a new temporary contract with them asking for a good faith payment of some sort during the shut down which I would reimburse when the state got caught up with me (which I believe they will do)
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 06-20-2011
http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...e=dhs16_162264

If any one needs information.
SimpleMom 12:15 PM 06-20-2011
To be honest, I would only do it if the parents paid me during the time of the shutdown. They could ask the state to reimburse them if they wanted to after that. Otherwise, you are pretty much working for free and that's just not right--unless you can and want to volunteer to care for them during that time.
Cat Herder 03:03 PM 06-20-2011
Sorry to hear about that.

IMHO, I would have to let them go.

They have already received more financial help than I ever have and feel it is unfair for them to expect for me to give them more.

Daycare is not a charity.
laurasophia 05:17 AM 07-09-2011
If I was the client of any of you providers who are going off about YOUR income and YOUR life, I would NEVER return my kids to your care!! Is it me or ? Don't most people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned for children? NOT $$$$$!! These families are already (obviously) needing help BEFORE shutdown or they wouldn't be receiving childcare assistance! And now they will likely have to choose between a job or no job because you providers won't care for their children for the interim? UNBELIEVABLE!!

To the person who said her clients have already received more help than (s)he ever has: SHAME ON YOU!! You are obviously biased and prejudiced and resentful!! I don't believe for one second you don't "look" at those children differently than the other "private-pay" children. And if YOU are being paid....if YOUR name is on that payment for childcare....then I put it to you that YOU are also a beneficiary of the assistance!! If you want to be so high and mighty, refuse to care for children who are recipients of childcare assistance!

With the exception of the ONE individual who stated they would continue to care for the children, I think every single one of you ought to lose your license!! Your priorities are f'd up!! How dare you put needy families out on the street and in a corner when they are already in trouble!! If you rely so closely (financially) on a couple of families' childcare bills for your own financial security, you have other issues other than IF you should continue to care for the children!

How old are you people? How long have you been doing this?! Crikey!! The last shutdown in MN was in 2005 and it lasted two weeks. Big whoop!! You can't carry someone for TWO weeks?! And who is the moron that said "give only basic care?" SICK!! These are innocent children who need to be treated the same as private-pay children. EVERY day of the week!! Not just when you are getting paid!! How can you discriminate?

I don't know how I got to this forum but I am disgusted!! I had to use daycare assistance when I was a young mother (and not receiving child support) WHILE I WAS WORKING AND GOING TO SCHOOL TO BETTER MY AND MY CHILDREN'S LIFE!! It's not bad enough these pathetic politicians have the nerve to let this happen to us (I receive CCAP funds for a child I care for AND my ex is a state employee so NO child support until this is over!! Double whammy for me financially!...should I stop caring for my child now because I am not receiving child support?!?!) but now child care providers are putting children out?! As far as I'm concerned, the people who posted here are just like the politicians. Had we made them stay in a room (with no A/C...since there's no $$ for anything) all 4th of July weekend until they came to an agreement, I'm tellin' ya: they'd have agreed an a budget before Saturday afternoon!! How dare those politicians go on holiday weekend last weekend while SO many people are left twisting in the wind!!!!!

Put your real names out here providers!! Let your clients know how you really feel about them and their assistance status. Bet you won't have to worry about getting paid anymore. I know I'd yank my kids out of your care!! You can fill all your "slots" with private pay children.....let those kids get referred to as "slots"!! UGH!! Ya....you all completely disgusted me this a.m.
heyhun77 09:10 PM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by laurasophia:
If I was the client of any of you providers who are going off about YOUR income and YOUR life, I would NEVER return my kids to your care!! Is it me or ? Don't most people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned for children? NOT $$$$$!! These families are already (obviously) needing help BEFORE shutdown or they wouldn't be receiving childcare assistance! And now they will likely have to choose between a job or no job because you providers won't care for their children for the interim? UNBELIEVABLE!!

To the person who said her clients have already received more help than (s)he ever has: SHAME ON YOU!! You are obviously biased and prejudiced and resentful!! I don't believe for one second you don't "look" at those children differently than the other "private-pay" children. And if YOU are being paid....if YOUR name is on that payment for childcare....then I put it to you that YOU are also a beneficiary of the assistance!! If you want to be so high and mighty, refuse to care for children who are recipients of childcare assistance!

With the exception of the ONE individual who stated they would continue to care for the children, I think every single one of you ought to lose your license!! Your priorities are f'd up!! How dare you put needy families out on the street and in a corner when they are already in trouble!! If you rely so closely (financially) on a couple of families' childcare bills for your own financial security, you have other issues other than IF you should continue to care for the children!

How old are you people? How long have you been doing this?! Crikey!! The last shutdown in MN was in 2005 and it lasted two weeks. Big whoop!! You can't carry someone for TWO weeks?! And who is the moron that said "give only basic care?" SICK!! These are innocent children who need to be treated the same as private-pay children. EVERY day of the week!! Not just when you are getting paid!! How can you discriminate?

I don't know how I got to this forum but I am disgusted!! I had to use daycare assistance when I was a young mother (and not receiving child support) WHILE I WAS WORKING AND GOING TO SCHOOL TO BETTER MY AND MY CHILDREN'S LIFE!! It's not bad enough these pathetic politicians have the nerve to let this happen to us (I receive CCAP funds for a child I care for AND my ex is a state employee so NO child support until this is over!! Double whammy for me financially!...should I stop caring for my child now because I am not receiving child support?!?!) but now child care providers are putting children out?! As far as I'm concerned, the people who posted here are just like the politicians. Had we made them stay in a room (with no A/C...since there's no $$ for anything) all 4th of July weekend until they came to an agreement, I'm tellin' ya: they'd have agreed an a budget before Saturday afternoon!! How dare those politicians go on holiday weekend last weekend while SO many people are left twisting in the wind!!!!!

Put your real names out here providers!! Let your clients know how you really feel about them and their assistance status. Bet you won't have to worry about getting paid anymore. I know I'd yank my kids out of your care!! You can fill all your "slots" with private pay children.....let those kids get referred to as "slots"!! UGH!! Ya....you all completely disgusted me this a.m.
I'm not sure that it's truely JUST about the money so much as it is the prospect of working for free because there is no real guarantee of payment while everyone is in limbo.

Is it easy to be the one put in this position? Absolutely not. If it was me on that side of the river having to make this decision I would likely come to a compromise like most have mentioned and come up with some creative payment options with the client before just letting them go. That being said, my mortgage lender isn't going to accept a creative payment arrangement when the mortgage is due on the house I use to provide these childcare services. The power company may make some arrangements but they, too, want their money in order to keep the lights and heat/air going for another month. The grocery store isn't going to extend me a line of credit for the food to feed the children in my care just because I'm wanting to continue care for families caught in the middle of this mess.

Childcare providers are usually in this job because of a love for children and teaching and not for the money because any way you cut it, this is not a well-paying profession. This is a hugely politcal situation and it truely comes down for most providers to it being a business decision of how much care can they afford to give for free. If it was me, and my personal business, presently I could afford maybe one child to continue coming without knowing when payment would be made but if I was in the situation like so many out there where 75-90 or even 100% of their clients are childcare assistance clients you just can't run a business on love. Period. As much as I love children, I would have to make the tough decision to let them go until this ordeal is over.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now and hope that this made sense. I just want you to see that it's not necessarily an argument of love of money vs. love of children. If childcare is your profession, your business, you have to make a smart decision for the health of the business or your business will fail.
nannyde 04:47 AM 07-10-2011

If I was the client of any of you providers who are going off about YOUR income and YOUR life, I would NEVER return my kids to your care!! Is it me or ? Don't most people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned for children? NOT $$$$$!!

No it's not you unfortunately. Many people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned about the children ... not money. The problem is finding providers who think the same way since they have to have money as their primary concern to care for their own children and family.

These families are already (obviously) needing help BEFORE shutdown or they wouldn't be receiving childcare assistance! And now they will likely have to choose between a job or no job because you providers won't care for their children for the interim? UNBELIEVABLE!!

It's the parents respeonsibility to make sure they have a place to take their chld while they work. The parents have accessed a funding that may not be available all the time. They need to manage THAT part of the funding they accessed. It's not just about getting free day care. There are human beings behind the decision of whether or not the taxpayers CAN pay for the free day care. It's a risk they take when they sign on to it. It's good when it's good but not good when it's not so good.

You are somehow making it have to do with the provider and it doesn't have a thing to do with her. She must have guaranteed payment for her services. This is between the parent and the State. Keep the provider out of it. She has a service to offer that costs money. When the client presents without ability to make sure the services are paid for then she isn't able to provide the service.

To the person who said her clients have already received more help than (s)he ever has: SHAME ON YOU!! You are obviously biased and prejudiced and resentful!! I don't believe for one second you don't "look" at those children differently than the other "private-pay" children.

That would be Cathearder.

To Cathearder: When you go back to work on Monday take a good long look at the State paid kids and tell me you don't look at them differently than the private pay kids.

To Laura: Cat just has private pay kids but I'm sure she'll take a look at the state paid kids she doesn't have. She's crazy like that.

And if YOU are being paid....if YOUR name is on that payment for childcare....then I put it to you that YOU are also a beneficiary of the assistance!! If you want to be so high and mighty, refuse to care for children who are recipients of childcare assistance!

So when a person goes to a store and buys food and pays for it in food stamps then the STORE is the beneficiary of that??????????

How dat work? The beneficiary isn't the person who has a cart full of groceries to put in their cabinet... it's the STORE????????

How old are you people? How long have you been doing this?!

50 and this is my 32nd year of caring for kids. almost 18 in home child care.

Put your real names out here providers!! Let your clients know how you really feel about them and their assistance status. Bet you won't have to worry about getting paid anymore.

Tori Fees I'm from Des Moines Iowa. I own A Nurse's Home Day Care. I don't have state paid clients but if I did I would tell them what you said to tell them. I don't want to work for a state paid client that doesn't GET that it's about the money. As little as our State pays for state paid day care... every single cent of the paltry payment would definitely HAVE to be about THE MONEY. The pay is REDICULOUSLY low.

I know I'd yank my kids out of your care!! You wouldn't have gotten past the first phone call much less given an actual interview. I can smell "it's not about the money" when it's someone ELSE'S money a mile away.

You can fill all your "slots" with private pay children.....let those kids get referred to as "slots"!!

Already do that and yes I refer to their space in my day care as "slots".

If you are so gung ho about people providing child care for love and not money then why don't you open a free day care and start providing it? If you offer free your slots would fill up in a few days. Go for it.
laurasophia 06:21 AM 07-10-2011
LOL! LOL! Struck a nerve, didn't I, nannyde?! More self-righteous blah blah blah!! You offered NOTHING of substance in your post.

I DO do free childcare!!!!!!!!!! For young, recovering addict mothers who are doing the right thing and trying to put their lives back together when their baby-daddies are gone/never there/not helping support child, when their own families won't help, when they get turned down for child care assistance by county and state programs (but put on a waiting list with 500+ people on it!) when trying to go back to school/college or work!!!

I repeat: if YOUR financial security hinges on the payments of clients with assistance, you have other issues!!

Ultimately, WHAT MAKES YOU BETTER THAN THOSE FAMILIES THAT NEED/GET CHILDCARE ASSISTANCE?! Go ahead! Keep cashing those checks!! Look down your nose at those families and kids all the way to the bank. But don't waste one more second of your precious time blowing your smoke up my behind lady! I've smelled your flavor of prejudice my entire life: 49 years old, four children, 2 grandchildren, 3 college degrees...Criminal Justice, Psychology, and Social Worker... and ZERO tolerance for holier-than-thou, judgmental BS like you and your comrades on here shovel!
nannyde 06:28 AM 07-10-2011
LOL! LOL! Struck a nerve, didn't I, nannyde?! More self-righteous blah blah blah!! You offered NOTHING of substance in your post.

I DO do free childcare!!!!!!!!!! For young, recovering addict mothers who are doing the right thing and trying to put their lives back together when their baby-daddies are gone/never there/not helping support child, when their own families won't help, when they get turned down for child care assistance by county and state programs (but put on a waiting list with 500+ people on it!) when trying to go back to school/college or work!!!

I repeat: if YOUR financial security hinges on the payments of clients with assistance, you have other issues!!

Ultimately, WHAT MAKES YOU BETTER THAN THOSE FAMILIES THAT NEED/GET CHILDCARE ASSISTANCE?! Go ahead! Keep cashing those checks!! Look down your nose at those families and kids all the way to the bank. But don't waste one more second of your precious time blowing your smoke up my behind lady! I've smelled your flavor of prejudice my entire life: 49 years old, four children, 2 grandchildren, 3 college degrees...Criminal Justice, Psychology, and Social Worker... and ZERO tolerance for holier-than-thou, judgmental BS like you and your comrades on here shovel!
Fair enough: Now YOUR name please and where are you located.

Also your college degrees please. Specifically what they are in and where did you get them?

I gave you my name and where I live. I have a BSN from Grandview College in Des Moines Iowa and I'm a licensed RN in the State of Iowa.

Also, I do NOT take State Assistance. I don't cash checks for them because I don't provide service for them. Quit accusing me of looking down on clients I don't even have.

You said "I repeat: if YOUR financial security hinges on the payments of clients with assistance, you have other issues!!

As I said, I don't have state paid clients but I'm certain those who do have issues. Issues like a house payment, car payment, utility bills, food bills, gas, and food cost.
Cat Herder 10:28 AM 07-10-2011
SHAME ON YOU!! You are obviously biased and prejudiced and resentful!!
Ugh, seriously?? Ok, short story..

I started my childcare after my son died in his daycare. I could not drop my kids off after that, so I had to adapt and find a way to earn a living AND be home with my kids.

My EX walked with our kids in diapers. This is not an easy lifestyle choice.

I have three kids to support. I feed and educate them with income from providing childcare for medically brittle kids.

I don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs. I don't live beyond my means. I made good life choices for my family and work over 60 hours each week. I have 2 free slots available for families who need it for reasons beyond their own control. The State allowed the extra slots (variance) as long as I receive no pay for them, otherwise I could not afford to. I have given YEARS of free care to these families over time. I also volunteer with a Womens shelter.

I am far from ashamed of my life choices. My parents are proud, as well since I am also helping to care for them.

Why do people keep thinking it is my responsibility to make up for other peoples life choices with my income??? I just don't understand that.

I have no say where my taxes go, but my own income??? Come on, get real.
nannyde 10:46 AM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Why do people keep thinking it is my responsibility to make up for other peoples life choices with my income??? I just don't understand that.
Because if you do child care you should do it for free. It's our obligation to society to do free.

It should not be about OUR kids and OUR livlihood. In order for it to be honorable it has to be for OTHER people's families. That's what's really important. What we do for OTHERS for free.

Too bad that thought process doesn't get applied to the ones who already get free. Maybe it's time to say to them that they shouldn't be asking for help for their kids they should be doing free for others.

It's NOT about money for us... but it's okay for it to be about money for the ones who get free money.

That makes a load of sense to me.
Cat Herder 10:52 AM 07-10-2011
I hear and understand you, Nan.

I am just really tired of people acting like "laurasophia" when we HAVE to put our own childrens needs above theirs...

Isn't that EXACTLY what they are doing when they try to guilt us into it????????

I should NOT have to ever defend the right to provide food, shelter and an education for my kids, too. I earn a whopping $600 a week after costs, I am not "The Man"...YKWIM???
Crystal 11:01 AM 07-10-2011
Laura,

Let me ask you, why should the provider be the one to give up income, when she is providing a service and paying out of her pocket for supplies/materials/food/etc. rather than the parent? This would put most providers in a financial bind, requiring borrowing of funds, etc.

Why should it be the provider that makes the sacrifice, rather than the parent, when the parent is the person recivieng the service?Why should the provider have to borrow funding to provide free services, rather than the parent borrowing funding to pay for her child care services?

I understand your passion about this. I really do, as I really FEEL for the parents and children that this impacts. But it also impacts providers, probably in a more significant way.....when a provider loses funding from 3 or 4 families due to the cuts, imagine how much MORE that affects her, than when the parent loses funding for her 1 or 2 children.

Also, you may provide FREE child care, but YOU don't do it for free......you do it for a paycheck, correct? You don't lose anything when the parent loses her subsidy, the organization that you work for does, you still get paid. So, your argument there is worthless.

Anyhow, I am a provider who has and would work with my subsidy recieving clients ( I don't currently have any and haven't for some time, but....)when subsidy is in limbo. I have and would compromise with a parent.....with the parent paying HALF of my fees and then we both got reimbursed when the budget passed. BUT, I had a savings account, so I could afford to that, many providers live paycheck to paycheck, just like their DC families do.
Sugar Magnolia 12:29 PM 07-10-2011
Laurasophia-you JUST joined here and all of your 4 posts just spew venom. There is NO need for name calling and language like "f'ed up". Go away if you are incapable of contributing to a debate without personal attacks and junior-high "LOL!!LOL!! Struck a nerve" type comments.
I SUPPORT state assistance to the working poor. I accept it at my center. Many others here do not. But we express our opinions with CIVILITY here, not hate-filled, taunting speech. If you don't agree with people who will not care for children without getting paid, laurasophia, than just disagree without accusing GOOD PEOPLE like Nan and Cat of being uncaring providers. Nan and Cat and everyone else insulted by this persons comments: take the high road, and leave the low road to those types who feed on creating tension and drama. To all providers here from MN- my heart aches for you and your children and parents.
jen 01:13 PM 07-10-2011

I have a question for you: What is the point of your posts?

A) To upset people
B) To share your opinion and hopefully persuade people more to your side of line
c) Share your opinion with no expectation of change

If you simply want to upset people, you have succeeded. If you wanted to share your opinion in hopes of creating positive change, or simply voice your opinion you are failing miserably.

No one listens when you accuse, degrade, belittle and disregard the real concerns of the providers on the board. We all have bills to pay, some of us are single parents, some of us have significant others who have lost their jobs due to the economy and may be teetering on the edge themselves.

Your failure to see the perspective of others or to communicate in a thoughtful and respectful manner is severely limiting your ability to get your message across. I would suggest you take a moment to think about what it is you're trying to accomplish and rethink your method of accomplishing that goal.
laurasophia 01:39 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If I was the client of any of you providers who are going off about YOUR income and YOUR life, I would NEVER return my kids to your care!! Is it me or ? Don't most people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned for children? NOT $$$$$!!

No it's not you unfortunately. Many people expect the people who do childcare to be primarily concerned about the children ... not money. The problem is finding providers who think the same way since they have to have money as their primary concern to care for their own children and family.

These families are already (obviously) needing help BEFORE shutdown or they wouldn't be receiving childcare assistance! And now they will likely have to choose between a job or no job because you providers won't care for their children for the interim? UNBELIEVABLE!!

It's the parents respeonsibility to make sure they have a place to take their chld while they work. The parents have accessed a funding that may not be available all the time. They need to manage THAT part of the funding they accessed. It's not just about getting free day care. There are human beings behind the decision of whether or not the taxpayers CAN pay for the free day care. It's a risk they take when they sign on to it. It's good when it's good but not good when it's not so good.

You are somehow making it have to do with the provider and it doesn't have a thing to do with her. She must have guaranteed payment for her services. This is between the parent and the State. Keep the provider out of it. She has a service to offer that costs money. When the client presents without ability to make sure the services are paid for then she isn't able to provide the service.

To the person who said her clients have already received more help than (s)he ever has: SHAME ON YOU!! You are obviously biased and prejudiced and resentful!! I don't believe for one second you don't "look" at those children differently than the other "private-pay" children.

That would be Cathearder.

To Cathearder: When you go back to work on Monday take a good long look at the State paid kids and tell me you don't look at them differently than the private pay kids.

To Laura: Cat just has private pay kids but I'm sure she'll take a look at the state paid kids she doesn't have. She's crazy like that.

And if YOU are being paid....if YOUR name is on that payment for childcare....then I put it to you that YOU are also a beneficiary of the assistance!! If you want to be so high and mighty, refuse to care for children who are recipients of childcare assistance!

So when a person goes to a store and buys food and pays for it in food stamps then the STORE is the beneficiary of that??????????

How dat work? The beneficiary isn't the person who has a cart full of groceries to put in their cabinet... it's the STORE????????

How old are you people? How long have you been doing this?!

50 and this is my 32nd year of caring for kids. almost 18 in home child care.

Put your real names out here providers!! Let your clients know how you really feel about them and their assistance status. Bet you won't have to worry about getting paid anymore.

Tori Fees I'm from Des Moines Iowa. I own A Nurse's Home Day Care. I don't have state paid clients but if I did I would tell them what you said to tell them. I don't want to work for a state paid client that doesn't GET that it's about the money. As little as our State pays for state paid day care... every single cent of the paltry payment would definitely HAVE to be about THE MONEY. The pay is REDICULOUSLY low.

I know I'd yank my kids out of your care!! You wouldn't have gotten past the first phone call much less given an actual interview. I can smell "it's not about the money" when it's someone ELSE'S money a mile away.

You can fill all your "slots" with private pay children.....let those kids get referred to as "slots"!!

Already do that and yes I refer to their space in my day care as "slots".

If you are so gung ho about people providing child care for love and not money then why don't you open a free day care and start providing it? If you offer free your slots would fill up in a few days. Go for it.

Hmm...50 years old, been doing in-home daycare for 32 years, so....you've been doing it since you were 18?! Start doing daycare that young cuz you had a kid you couldn't pay child care for?! How many PROVIDERS have the grand idea to stay at home with their own kids and become a provider for the income? And WHERE does this experience come from to qualify someone to do in-home daycare? (Just do some paperwork, pass a background check and get some liability ins!!) How does it feel to have blanket judgments made by people who know nothing about you or your situation?

MN CCAP (for my county,licensed for maximum of 10 kids, 2 of which can be infants):

$134.82/wk infant rate * 2 infants = $269.64 PLUS $121.34/wk all other age groups * 8 kids = $970.72 for a total of $1240.36 per WEEK....PLUS food programs, activity fees!!!! $1240.36 * 4.3 weeks per month = a GRAND TOTAL of $5333/month JUST IN CASH!!! (Damn! I went out and got all those college degrees and I could've just stayed home with some fun, little people all day? Maybe I AM the ignorant one here.....lol)

Ya.....keep judging people who receive assistance as one, big group of go-nowhere, do-nothing bunch of losers who are out to take a free ride on the system. Oh, wait! You don't even take "state paid" clients, do you?! HAHAHAHAHA!!! So....what are you basing your bias on?

You're good for a laugh at least. Can hardly wait to share this dribble with a couple of commissions/committees I am on....but please, be careful....I do NOT want to see any of you fall off your pedestals. It's obviously a long drop...
Michael 01:49 PM 07-10-2011
Hmm...50 years old, been doing in-home daycare for 32 years, so....you've been doing it since you were 18?! Start doing daycare that young cuz you had a kid you couldn't pay child care for?! How many PROVIDERS have the grand idea to stay at home with their own kids and become a provider for the income? And WHERE does this experience come from to qualify someone to do in-home daycare? (Just do some paperwork, pass a background check and get some liability ins!!) How does it feel to have blanket judgments made by people who know nothing about you or your situation?

MN CCAP (for my county,licensed for maximum of 10 kids, 2 of which can be infants):

$134.82/wk infant rate * 2 infants = $269.64 PLUS $121.34/wk all other age groups * 8 kids = $970.72 for a total of $1240.36 per WEEK....PLUS food programs, activity fees!!!! $1240.36 * 4.3 weeks per month = a GRAND TOTAL of $5333/month JUST IN CASH!!! (Damn! I went out and got all those college degrees and I could've just stayed home with some fun, little people all day? Maybe I AM the ignorant one here.....lol)

Ya.....keep judging people who receive assistance as one, big group of go-nowhere, do-nothing bunch of losers who are out to take a free ride on the system. Oh, wait! You don't even take "state paid" clients, do you?! HAHAHAHAHA!!! So....what are you basing your bias on?

You're good for a laugh at least. Can hardly wait to share this dribble with a couple of commissions/committees I am on....but please, be careful....I do NOT want to see any of you fall off your pedestals. It's obviously a long drop...
I've wondered why you were a registered member but still in moderated mode. I went through all 5 of your posts and now understand. One thing comes to mind; "Live and let live."
nannyde 01:53 PM 07-10-2011

Yes I started caring for kids at eighteen as a live out part time Nanny for a family in Des Moines that started and owned KGGO radio here in Des Moines. I worked for a family that owns an Amusement park as their live in nanny when I was 19. I will be 51 in a few weeks. I lived with them, cleaned their house, did their laundry, and cared for their then three school aged kids. I also worked as a live in Nanny in my twenties. I didn't become a mother until I was 39 when I adopted my son.

I did all this while I went to Grand View College to become a registered Nurse. My training came from a LOT of years of experience as a Nanny, School Nurse at Moulton Elementary School in Des Moines (1990-93), and a home child care. I taught myself how to care for kids for the most part but getting a nursing education helped very much every step of the way.

Now again.... what is your real name, what are your degrees, where did you get them from, and where are you located in Minnesota???

You asked for mine and I gave them to you. Now how about you back up what you say or are you just making stuff up as you go along?
Country Kids 02:12 PM 07-10-2011
I just wanted to say I don't even make 1/2 of what laurasophia figured up and even if all my children were full time-two aren't-I still wouldn't come close. Why-because of where I live! Childcare is not a money maker in my area but I did it so that I could stay home with my children and raise them. I also enjoying teaching so that is why I incorporated pre-school into my childcare.

Just to let people know what is sad is I have several friends that actually work for our state. The majority all qualify for help from the state. I always thought they would make big bucks but no they don't. I was actually shocked by that. Do any of them take the help-no.

We won't all agree to what is right. At this time do I have any state paid children in my care-no-but I have in the past. The moms that were on it both had very professional jobs but didn't make enough to support their families. One had a husband that walked out on her and the other was a single mom (older). Would I take care of children for free if something happened to our state budget? That is something that my husband and I would have to discuss and figure out. Why-because I did chose this as my profession and I do have to pay bills just like eveyone else. I expect to be paid for my job just like everyone else does when they go to work.

I have been doing this for 15 years so I'm not a spring chicken at it! The hostility though needs to stop. I'm tired of hearing from different threads lately that we are in it for the money. Please tell me why do most people work? Mostly for the money! It is the art of survival!
sharlan 02:15 PM 07-10-2011
This is OT, but.................

I've never seen a more "I'm entitled", hateful person in my life.

Maybe if others ignore her, she will go away.
Sugar Magnolia 02:17 PM 07-10-2011

Uhmmm, Michael maybe? Nannyde gave personal info here and I think this person has now gone beyond making insulting comments. The quote above really seems threatening. I know this is a free country and freedom of speech is protected online, but this is cyber-bullying IMO. "Be careful", "long drop". I don't like this. It smells.
nannyde 02:29 PM 07-10-2011

That's a rediculously low salary for eight kids.

When you go to your commissions and committees to tell them about my dribble will you please tell them Nannyde The Daycarewhisperer said they need to give you guys a substantial raise.
nannyde 02:39 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Uhmmm, Michael maybe? Nannyde gave personal info here and I think this person has now gone beyond making insulting comments. The quote above really seems threatening. I know this is a free country and freedom of speech is protected online, but this is cyber-bullying IMO. "Be careful", "long drop". I don't like this. It smells.
Yeah it was a threat.

It's easy to sit at a keyboard and beat women up with words. We all need more people in our lives telling us to just DO whether we get paid or not because it's for the BABIES.

It gets old but it never goes away.
Sugar Magnolia 03:08 PM 07-10-2011
Yeah it was a threat.

It's easy to sit at a keyboard and beat women up with words. We all need more people in our lives telling us to just DO whether we get paid or not because it's for the BABIES.

It gets old but it never goes away.
Well since you put your personal info out there, I'm sure you'll alert us if this person harasses you by email, phone or via this forum. Yes "it" never goes away, but seriously, can't registered users go away if they make thinly veiled threats like this? Free speech stops when the harassment threshold is reached. As a past victim of cyberbullying and text and email harassment myself, I have a low level of tolerance for this junk.
littlemissmuffet 04:01 PM 07-10-2011
Personally, I cannot and will not provide my services for free, so I would have to let the families go unless they could pay out of their own pocket. This is my business, not a charity - and obviously the majority are in agreement - otherwise childcare would be free for everyone!

I know there are folks out their who genuinely NEED assistance, but in my own personal experiences, all the people I have met and known on assistance abused/are abusing it - and have ruined it for those who actually are in NEED.

The reality is, stereotypes exist for a reason.
nannyde 04:37 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Well since you put your personal info out there, I'm sure you'll alert us if this person harasses you by email, phone or via this forum. Yes "it" never goes away, but seriously, can't registered users go away if they make thinly veiled threats like this? Free speech stops when the harassment threshold is reached. As a past victim of cyberbullying and text and email harassment myself, I have a low level of tolerance for this junk.
Thanks for your concern Shug. You are so nice.

My DHS has a special unit set up just to manage the influx of complaints on Nannyde. Funding has been allocated and is fixed for the Fiscal Year 2011-12.

Won't be long before I have my own worker stationed in my living room to protect the poor babies and make sure I'm not mean to the parents.
jojosmommy 06:10 PM 07-10-2011
Just thought I would update everyone on my particular case even though this thread has been hijacked into something it was never intended to be.

I still have this (non paying) family attending on a very minimal basis. Gma is helping out so kids are at daycare on a very limited basis. I am praying the state will back pay me for the time they are in care as this is the first two weeks I have done care and will not be getting paid due to the shut down.

I have bills to pay and do this for income ( I love kids but really nobody works for free) however b/c I am not getting calls/emails to fill the spaces these kids take up I am taking the approach to offer the care (very limited) and hope the state pays me back. The mother is very thankful and for that I am glad.

Otherwise it has been a very difficult time for myself and other providers in MN b/c we don't know if we will get paid, we don't know when IF they decide to back pay, and b/c so many other state employees have been laid off there really aren't people calling and switching daycares.

I am praying this good deed will turn into something good in the future, and until then I wait on MN to get its act together and settle the budget.
Kaddidle Care 10:05 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I've wondered why you were a registered member but still in moderated mode. I went through all 5 of your posts and now understand. One thing comes to mind; "Live and let live."
One thing comes to my mind after reading her 5 posts:

Weekend Troll

Sorry to the OP. Never trust the Government - do what you have to do. Hopefully they will get their acts together ASAP.
Unregistered 12:27 AM 07-11-2011
But I really liked this part:

"These are innocent children who need to be treated the same as private-pay children. EVERY day of the week!! Not just when you are getting paid!! How can you discriminate? "
MARSTELAC 07:17 AM 07-11-2011
Has anyone heard if we are going to get paid this month? My business is enrolled in the food program (to help with grocery bills and nutritious menu planning). I count on this money each month as my family lives paycheck to paycheck. Daycare providers do not get paid much in this area so this payment helps to supplement my low income. Plus, that payment helps when my families are on vacation and I have NO income from them. Hoping that our state gets the budget figured out and soon! This shutdown surely is causing problems for employees and recipients of state-funded programs. I am glad I don't have any state-pay families at the present time as I would not be able to pay my bills.
squareone 07:42 AM 07-11-2011
[quote=laurasophia;125798]
Originally Posted by :
And who is the moron that said "give only basic care?" SICK!! These are innocent children who need to be treated the same as private-pay children. EVERY day of the week!! Not just when you are getting paid!! How can you discriminate?

A moron I am not. This is what I said:

If you decide to continue care, offer bare-bones, basic care. Have the parents supply EVERYTHING so that you have as little overhead as possible. Suspend your participation in the food program and have the parents provide all meals, drinks and snacks. If you supply diapers and wipes have the parents bring them, etc, etc. Suspend any paid curriculum programs that you use and and use free ones from the internet, make free crafts and have parents donate recycable materials like empty paper towel rolls, cereal boxes, scrap paper,etc for crafts. Suspend paid field trips and just walk to the neighborhood playground, nature walks,etc. Let parents know that you regret having to do this but if you work together, everyone can get through this and regular services will resume when the state budget is resovled.

As Crystal stated, many providers live check to check just like their daycare families do. I am one example of this and even if I wanted to offer free care, I couldn't afford to at this time. Free care still costs a provider money. So, my suggestion above was to have the parent share some of the financial burden that the provider will bear as a result of keeping these clients until the state resolves it's budget issues. This way, the parent can continue to use the provider's services and the provider won't take as large of a financial hit by providing what could potentially end up being free care. Provider's are taking a huge risk because the State has already said that it will not guarantee that providers will be reimbursed for the care they provide during the shutdown. If the state would guarantee payment, then this would be a no-brainer. The last shutdown may have "only" been two weeks but that has no bearing on how long this or any other shut down will last. Plus, two weeks without pay is a HUGE deal to most people who already live check to check.

Discrimination?? That's a stretch. Regardless of where the money comes from, when a provider doesn't get paid it affects ALL of the children in care, as well as the provider's own family. The temporary adjustments that the provider will have to make will affect EVERYONE in care, not just state paid clients. I DID NOT say she should reduce the amount of love, care and affection and that she provides to the children. I DID offer suggestions for less expensive alternatives for food, crafts, and curriculum until the issue is resolved. A business cannot survive without income - period. If you are going to work with parents and dont have a ton of money saved up, the only way to keep afloat with no income is to reduce expenses. This was all I was suggesting. It annoys me that you interpreted that as me suggesting that providers should treat state pay children different than private pay children.

Like many others before me have said, we run a childcare business and not a charity. I chose this line of work because I love taking care of children but this is also how I help support my family. If I don't get paid my bills don't get paid and my family doesn't eat.

I agree with nannyde in that this is really an issue between the State and the parent - NOT between the parent and the provider. Why are you trying to make the providers the bad guys? In what other profession can you reasonably expect a person to continue working if they knew there was a chance they would not get paid? None.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Has anyone heard if we are going to get paid this month? My business is enrolled in the food program (to help with grocery bills and nutritious menu planning). I count on this money each month as my family lives paycheck to paycheck. Daycare providers do not get paid much in this area so this payment helps to supplement my low income. Plus, that payment helps when my families are on vacation and I have NO income from them. Hoping that our state gets the budget figured out and soon! This shutdown surely is causing problems for employees and recipients of state-funded programs. I am glad I don't have any state-pay families at the present time as I would not be able to pay my bills.
My food program check posted today. About a week early. I called the main office to see why and was told that the government sent a big sum of money out in anticipation for the shutdown to cover June reimbursements so they paid it out early to providers. No payment expectations for July however, until government gets its act together....
PeanutsGalore 09:49 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Just thought I would update everyone on my particular case even though this thread has been hijacked into something it was never intended to be.

I still have this (non paying) family attending on a very minimal basis. Gma is helping out so kids are at daycare on a very limited basis. I am praying the state will back pay me for the time they are in care as this is the first two weeks I have done care and will not be getting paid due to the shut down.

I have bills to pay and do this for income ( I love kids but really nobody works for free) however b/c I am not getting calls/emails to fill the spaces these kids take up I am taking the approach to offer the care (very limited) and hope the state pays me back. The mother is very thankful and for that I am glad.

Otherwise it has been a very difficult time for myself and other providers in MN b/c we don't know if we will get paid, we don't know when IF they decide to back pay, and b/c so many other state employees have been laid off there really aren't people calling and switching daycares.

I am praying this good deed will turn into something good in the future, and until then I wait on MN to get its act together and settle the budget.
Jojo, the best lesson my father taught me in life is that what goes around comes around. You will be blessed for working with this family for as long as you're financially able to.

I'm thinking positive thoughts for all of you--providers AND parents who are being impacted by this. Whatever happens, I hope you all come out on the other side intact.
Sugar Magnolia 09:50 AM 07-11-2011
[quote=squareone;126145

It annoys me that you interpreted that as me suggesting that providers should treat state pay children different than private pay children.
Why are you trying to make the providers the bad guys? [/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry this very rude and insulting "laurasophia" got to you too Squareone. He/she is the type who enjoys hurting others and seeks only to annoy and anger others. I actually feel slightly sorry for people like him/her, as they have likely have no friends and meaningful relationships with others, so they hop behind a computer and lash out for the sake of lashing. I hope he/she finds a better way to channel his/her loneliness and anger. Sad....
GretasLittleFriends 09:53 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My food program check posted today. About a week early. I called the main office to see why and was told that the government sent a big sum of money out in anticipation for the shutdown to cover June reimbursements so they paid it out early to providers. No payment expectations for July however, until government gets its act together....
Mine got posted today as well. I didn't hear anything about no payments for July though. I don't see how Minnesota can do that since it is a federally funded program... Hopefully the powers that be will approve of a budget soon.
laurasophia 10:00 AM 07-11-2011
Yes I started caring for kids at eighteen as a live out part time Nanny for a family in Des Moines that started and owned KGGO radio here in Des Moines. I worked for a family that owns an Amusement park as their live in nanny when I was 19. I will be 51 in a few weeks. I lived with them, cleaned their house, did their laundry, and cared for their then three school aged kids. I also worked as a live in Nanny in my twenties. I didn't become a mother until I was 39 when I adopted my son.

I did all this while I went to Grand View College to become a registered Nurse. My training came from a LOT of years of experience as a Nanny, School Nurse at Moulton Elementary School in Des Moines (1990-93), and a home child care. I taught myself how to care for kids for the most part but getting a nursing education helped very much every step of the way.

Now again.... what is your real name, what are your degrees, where did you get them from, and where are you located in Minnesota???

You asked for mine and I gave them to you. Now how about you back up what you say or are you just making stuff up as you go along?

First and foremost, let me say that I would NEVER threaten ANYBODY, in person or online. But thanks anyway for the twisted interpretation of my posting and MY opinion in this supposedly free country!!!!

Secondly, it is Online Safety 101 to NEVER reveal your identity/personal information!! My request for your name, etc was a fascicious request and NEVER for ONE MINUTE thought you would put it out there. Now if ANYTHING happens to you, I will be suspect No1? Or it will be MY fault??? UNBELIEVABLE!!

Lastly, I'll give y'all one thing: you're all very like-minded. Closed-minded, but like-minded. Who is bullying who (to get off this PUBLIC forum)?! You don't like what I said? How I said it? Look at yourselves in the mirror and do some serious soul-searching on how and why you reacted to me and my opinions/thoughts the way you have. Some of you are THOUSANDS of miles away from MN and have NO idea what is going on with this situation and the impact on lives (like dominoes!)....so it is a little bitter taste in my mouth to read your comments from FL or CA or Timbuktoo or wherever. It is absolutely unnerving to me that people such as (some of) you on here are caring for children with no one to supervise you or monitor your behavior, and I wouldn't be surprised if most parents are unaware of how their providers REALLY think and feel about them and/or their children and/or payment/financial assistance status (btw...that's called discrimination in this country!!).

I stumbled on this "public" forum (which is more like a private support group for like-minded opinions) while checking the website set up for people interested in the status of the MN gov't shutdown because I personally have lost over half my monthly income for the foreseeable future. Thought their might be some good info on the forum. All I really found was rallying support amongst yourselves to deny/justify families already in somewhat of a crisis situation from accessing the daycare they need to maintain what hasn't been turned upside down in their lives: their childcare! I DO appreciate your opinions, as well as your individual situations. However, I completely disagree with some of the "philosophy" offered and, thinking I was still IN the good ol' US of A thought I could post MY opinion without being accused of threatening people!

Fear not. This is my last post. I have SOOOO much more to do with my day and life than sit on a computer, reading and posting to mindless forums that have NO tolerance for the opinions of others or "the other side." And to be accused of "making up stuff as I go along"?!?! I find that very childish. I was tempted to put my personal info out here just for you nannyde, but it's just NOT good practice and I encourage you to delete the personal info of yours that you posted on here. If not for your sake, then mine.

FL, Cali, Timbuktoo: since you seem to care so much, put your problems in perspective and pray for us up here in MN....hopefully food shelves will be allowed to disburse their goods soon, and homeless programs funded by state funds can move forward, and childcare payments will be approved (retro!?!!) so people can continue to go to work/school and HAVE CHILDCARE, and people can get their drivers' licenses and tabs for their cars, and 22,000+ families of state workers can get back to some normalcy and repair the personal damage done by arrogant politicians, and on and on and on!

Thanks again for the refresher in humanity. It has reminded me that great thinkers/philosophers were never part of the mainstream. Ciao!

Moderator: thank you for knowing and abiding by the US Constitution and the First Amendment. It is appreciated and respected.
mom2many 10:03 AM 07-11-2011
I just joined this forum and have to say that I was appalled to read the posts made by laurasophia and was glad to read some of the responses to her ignorant statements and comments!

Here in CA, I had several months last fall where I watched 3 dcks w/o pay until they got the budget passed. I was paid retroactively and received all of my pay for those months and fortunately got those checks right before my house taxes were due, so I could pay those on time w/o penalty! I would have had a tough time continuing care for these families, if I had been told by the State that I may not ever get that $. This business helps me provide an income for my family to live on and I depend on that $ to pay my bills! As much as I LOVE what I do, I cannot afford to do it for free!!!!
laurasophia 10:17 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I just joined this forum and have to say that I was appalled to read the posts made by laurasophia and was glad to read some of the responses to her ignorant statements and comments!

Here in CA, I had several months last fall where I watched 3 dcks w/o pay until they got the budget passed. I was paid retroactively and received all of my pay for those months and fortunately got those checks right before my house taxes were due, so I could pay those on time w/o penalty! I would have had a tough time continuing care for these families, if I had been told by the State that I may not ever get that $. This business helps me provide an income for my family to live on and I depend on that $ to pay my bills! As much as I LOVE what I do, I cannot afford to do it for free!!!!

You just stated you did just what these other posters said they would not do: keep taking the assistance-pay children not knowing if you were going to get paid or not. (On behalf of clients such as those, thank you for sticking by your clients and not making their situation any worse!)

And y'all call me a name caller!! Now that you've badgered me and bullied ME, I will slink off this hypocritical forum to yet another meeting on how to realistically deal with the fallout from politicians who don't have their priorities in order any more than most of you.
jojosmommy 10:33 AM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Mine got posted today as well. I didn't hear anything about no payments for July though. I don't see how Minnesota can do that since it is a federally funded program... Hopefully the powers that be will approve of a budget soon.
I was told that the money is federally backed however the people processing the pmts are state workers so that is where the $ can be delayed. I was also told they can only go back 2 months to pay back what you are owed so lets hope this doesn't last longer than 2 months- in which case you would not be able to get paid back ALL of what the food program owes you.
Unregistered 10:41 AM 07-11-2011
If you want to provide services for free, then by all means, go for it. You have the right to do that if you want, but don't treat the providers in this forum as if they are evil and heartless for not doing the same. It's completely unfair.

People have bills to pay, laurasophia. It's just that simple. We can't all do it for free nor should we have to do it for free for any reason. Nobody should have to justify why they charge for their services and they shouldn't have to take a financial hit because of the MN shutdown. Nobody should ever be forced to work for free!
DCMom 11:25 AM 07-11-2011
Jojosmommy ~ it's a tough spot to be in. When we take families on assistance, I guarantee a government shutdown isn't something we consider. After the 2005 shutdown this subject was brought up as a 'what if' in my network group. After that, I chose to keep a limited number of spots for assisted families. I have two assisted families at the moment and I will to continue to keep them for their co-pay whether or not I get paid back. I feel like it was a commitment that I made to them and it's not their fault that our governor and legislators can't get their heads out of their a$$es and get their jobs done.

That being said,

Laurasophia ~ you paint with a very broad brush. This is a demanding job on a good day and until you have walked a mile in our shoes, you don't know of which you speak. You obviously signed on to this forum with a chip on your shoulder and I suspect you probably have lost your childcare (or your grandkids childcare?) due to the shutdown.

I have done this for 22 years because I love it, not because I am getting wealthy doing it. I'm not poor, but I'm sure not rich! I cannot wait for the day that I 'retire' by watching my future grandchildren, but right now this is my job. It's how I support my family and I have to make decisions based on what is right for them AND my business just like everyone else in the world.
wdmmom 11:32 AM 07-11-2011
Just my own 2 cents w'orth on this one and a little role reversal if you will:

WHAT IF I WAS A MINNESOTA STATE EMPLOYEE??? CAN I JUST CALL UP WELL'S FARGO AND ASK THEM FOR MY MORTGAGE PAYMENT TO DISAPPEAR OR BE FREE?!?!?!

Highly unlikely Wells Fargo is going to pay my mortgage...just as unlikely as providers offering childcare for FREE.

Nothing is FREE in this world...I'm a young'en but even I know that much!
Unregistered 11:34 AM 07-11-2011
You just stated you did just what these other posters said they would not do: keep taking the assistance-pay children not knowing if you were going to get paid or not. (On behalf of clients such as those, thank you for sticking by your clients and not making their situation any worse!)

And y'all call me a name caller!! Now that you've badgered me and bullied ME, I will slink off this hypocritical forum to yet another meeting on how to realistically deal with the fallout from politicians who don't have their priorities in order any more than most of you.
I'm not sure WHY you don't understand that daycare providers NEED to be paid. If your company told you thatbthey could not afford your paycheck,would you stillnwork there for free until they sorted it out?

You are advocating for the people who need help,but why would a daycare provider take food from her families mouth or fall behind on her mortgage payment and put her OWN family in jeopardy? That doesn't make sense. People work to get paid...that is common sense.
nannyde 11:49 AM 07-11-2011
I was tempted to put my personal info out here just for you nannyde, but it's just NOT good practice and I encourage you to delete the personal info of yours that you posted on here. If not for your sake, then mine.
Laura,

My personal information has been out here long before you came along. I have a job with daycare.com. I'm a public person already. https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/about-nannyde

I'm NOT buying your excuse not to pony up with WHO you are... WHERE you got your degrees... WHAT your degrees are.... and when did you get them? It's not about online safety when you so boldly throw around how important you are in the child care world.

You DID specifically ask us to tell you who we are. You weren't being facetious. You even threw in "Put your real names out here providers!! Let your clients know how you really feel about them and their assistance status. Bet you won't have to worry about getting paid anymore."

That is VERY specific. You are saying that if we say our real names that we would loose clients so that is why we aren't saying who we are. I told you I don't have state paid clients and am happy to say who I am.

I've been on day care boards since 1998 and I've never asked someone to come forward with their true identity. I've never been asked to do it either... till you came along.

I told YOU who I am now you tell me who you are. I gave you the specific information to check me out... thru my DHS, thru the Iowa Board of Nursing, and thru my college.

You may be fooling some of the posters on here but you are NOT fooling me. I've been at this a long time and if I had a dollar for every provider I have met who throws their degrees around when they can just type or say words but can't seem to come up with them when they are asked to actually SHOW them... I would be RICH.

I can't tell you the number of staff assistants I have interviewed and was told they had a college education and many years of experience but as soon as it was time to show me the proof they disappeared. My friend owns two centers and it happens to her weekly.

I can't tell you the number of parents who are deceived into believing they are hiring someone with education and experience only later to find out they increased the number of years they have cared for kids dramatically and didn't have a SINGLE degree in anything.

So your opinion to me is worth nothing if you aren't willing to back up your claims of education and experience. They are the foundation of your position yet they really don't exist other than your claim from the words you type.
mom2many 12:14 PM 07-11-2011

It was my understanding that in Minnesota, providers were told in advance that they might NOT recoup the $ during this time...In CA that was NEVER an issue. We were assured our $ would come eventually, we just didn't know when.

As a provider for 25 years, that takes my profession seriously and tries to to make a positive difference in the lives of the children in my care, I was thrilled to discover this forum with the wealth of information and support it offers. I just don't see the need to have such negativity and to eagerly attack others like you are.
Crystal 01:02 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Laura,

Let me ask you, why should the provider be the one to give up income, when she is providing a service and paying out of her pocket for supplies/materials/food/etc. rather than the parent? This would put most providers in a financial bind, requiring borrowing of funds, etc.

Why should it be the provider that makes the sacrifice, rather than the parent, when the parent is the person recivieng the service?Why should the provider have to borrow funding to provide free services, rather than the parent borrowing funding to pay for her child care services?

I understand your passion about this. I really do, as I really FEEL for the parents and children that this impacts. But it also impacts providers, probably in a more significant way.....when a provider loses funding from 3 or 4 families due to the cuts, imagine how much MORE that affects her, than when the parent loses funding for her 1 or 2 children.

Also, you may provide FREE child care, but YOU don't do it for free......you do it for a paycheck, correct? You don't lose anything when the parent loses her subsidy, the organization that you work for does, you still get paid. So, your argument there is worthless.

Anyhow, I am a provider who has and would work with my subsidy recieving clients ( I don't currently have any and haven't for some time, but....)when subsidy is in limbo. I have and would compromise with a parent.....with the parent paying HALF of my fees and then we both got reimbursed when the budget passed. BUT, I had a savings account, so I could afford to that, many providers live paycheck to paycheck, just like their DC families do.
Laurasophia....you wanna call out the California providers here, would you please reply to this California girl's post/questions?

You see, we are posting about it because 1 - we've been there and
2 - we come here to support one another and care about the families and PROVIDERS in MN that this is affecting. That's what this forum is about....networking, providing support, etc.....not making accusations, threatening and trashing other people.
jen 03:46 PM 07-11-2011

Laura,

I am a Minnesota provider and I'm still waiting for an answer to my post. What is it, exactly, that you are trying to accomplish here?
Sugar Magnolia 03:47 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Laurasophia....you wanna call out the California providers here, would you please reply to this California girl's post/questions?

You see, we are posting about it because 1 - we've been there and
2 - we come here to support one another and care about the families and PROVIDERS in MN that this is affecting. That's what this forum is about....networking, providing support, etc.....not making accusations, threatening and trashing other people.
YES! Right on CRYSYAL! Yes, we ARE allowed to care about people in Minnesota! From the Golden State to the Sunshine State, kind people supporting and helping people, no matter location! I just read a post about a similar problem in Illinois, so these crisises are popping up everywhere. May NONE of the providers in MN, IL, or wherever have to suffer financially because of political shenanigans! May NONE of the parents on assistance lose their jobs, have to take their kids to work, leave their kids with teenage babysitters or siblings because of political shenanigans! So spreading kindness and support to ALL, from CA to FL to Timbucktu! Cuz that's what we DO here! Pray for world peace! Or whirled peas, whichever you prefer!
Ps: I LOVE CALIFORNIA! Shout out to anyone in Big Bear!
GretasLittleFriends 04:53 PM 07-11-2011
It was my understanding that in Minnesota, providers were told in advance that they might NOT recoup the $ during this time...In CA that was NEVER an issue. We were assured our $ would come eventually, we just didn't know when.

As a provider for 25 years, that takes my profession seriously and tries to to make a positive difference in the lives of the children in my care, I was thrilled to discover this forum with the wealth of information and support it offers. I just don't see the need to have such negativity and to eagerly attack others like you are.
It was advanced, but less than a months notice in some cases that we may not be reimbursed... IMO that's not a lot of time to plan a back-up.
mom2many 06:24 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
It was advanced, but less than a months notice in some cases that we may not be reimbursed... IMO that's not a lot of time to plan a back-up.
I so agree! I can totally relate and sympathize on how news like this impacts both providers and the families involved in these programs. For years, it was never an issue, but last summer my subsidized parents and I were all scrambling trying to figure out a plan if cutbacks were indeed made. It was stressful and not easy. I get emotionally involved with my dcks and the last thing I wanted was to lose any of them.
Kaddidle Care 07:14 PM 07-11-2011
Fear not. This is my last post.
Yay! Goodbye!

I thought you said that was your last post? Do I have to call you the ... "L" word? ooooooh!
Sugar Magnolia 07:39 PM 07-11-2011
Caucus Video: Debt Negotiations Stalled; A Cautionary Tale From Minnesota
thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com

Grrr I am no good at posting links via blackberry! If you take the time to go to the NY Times website, you can find it there.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rom-minnesota/
Unregistered 07:13 AM 07-12-2011

Actually providers were sent out notices with less than 2 weeks notice that we are not quarenteed payment but that we may be paid back once the shutdown is over. 2 weeks in this economy is not nearly enough time to replace all the families you have if you choose to term those on assistance. Especially considering the large number of state workers laid off and other people pinching pennies b/c of other programs being cut off by the shutdown. I have had ads out since the day I got my notice and have only gotten 2 emails. Both have led nowhere. The only people looking for care are those looking for free care b/c their provider dumped them when they found out about the shutdown.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 07-12-2011
I am not 100% sure about how much of this is true but I just spoke with a childcare case worker in my county and she told me that families who recieve their child care asistance through federal government funding WILL have their services covered. When? She is not sure but it WILL be paid entirely. Families receiving funding through federal dollars are families who recieve cash assistance (MFIP), food stamps or both. She obviously could not disclose to me which of my families that covered but said I could ask them or I could have them call their worker and give the worker permission to pass the info on to me.

She said that there are even a few families who are on the Basic Sliding fee assistance program who recieve their money (or a portion of it) through federal dollars and that would also be covered but again could not tell me which families and what percentage but the family themselves could call to find out.

She told me that for any family that I am still providing care to (free; hoping to be reimbursed or for money up front) that I should still continue to turn in the billing vouchers. I am so completely confused by all of this partial, sparse and complicated information that my head is spinning!!!
Tags:bad economy, daycare is not a charity, minnesota, state budget
Reply Up