Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Work Attire?
rjskids 06:51 AM 08-03-2011
Before I started doing daycare I preached to myself and everyone that I was NOT going to get "schlumpy" being at home everyday...well, I'm eatting my words! I went from a job that I had to dress up everyday so my off days I would "schlump". So I even went wardrobe shopping and bought some nice, casual everyday clothes but what do I tend to pull out every morning?...t-shirts and yoga pants/capris/shorts.
I want to look presentable to people when they come in the morning cause in the center I worked at it was DRILLED to us to look nice and professional. That parents respected that. But when I have days like yesterday where the spaghetti lunch ended more on ME than the kids and then a child puked on me while rocking him to sleep. I feel like I need another shower after daycare from all the drool the babies slap on me while I'm playing on the floor with them! Just wondering what you wear, what you consider "professional" and if you think parents even care...
MyAngels 06:57 AM 08-03-2011
I wear either jeans or shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes, with minimal jewelry. I do wear a bit of makeup and style my hair each morning before everyone arrives. I always look presentable, I guess, but definitely not dressed up .
dEHmom 07:00 AM 08-03-2011
mine is whatever i feel like wearing lol. usually in the winter i wear jeans or sweats (but decent sweats not scrubbies or baggy ones) and in the summer i usually wear shorts or capris. some days i don't even brush my hair because i just clip it up anyway, so i twist and clip most days, and some days i don't even match lol.
SilverSabre25 07:06 AM 08-03-2011
Comfort trumps appearance every single day here. Jeans/cargo khakis/shorts, T-shirts/long-sleeved T-shirts, tennis shoes. And a bra . My hair in a ponytail and I don't wear make-up. No one has ever complained about how I look.
permanentvacation 07:06 AM 08-03-2011
I think my parents expect me to be in comfortable clothing that allows me to get on the floor with the kids and that I won't be upset if the kids mess up a bit. If I dressed all pretty in nice clothes, I think my parents would be conserned that I would be upset with the kids if they got paint on my nice clothes. So I wear blue jean shorts and t-shirts or tank tops most days. When it's colder, I wear either jeans or sweat pants with t-shirts or sweat shirts. No parent has ever made comments or given me weird looks about my attire. I wear what makes me comfortable, allows me to freely move around with my kids, and that I won't get upset about getting paint, food, or baby spit-up on.

If you want, you might try a couple of things to look a bit 'professional' yet comfortable. You can get some daycare shirts made up for your business that have your business name and logo on them. If you think you'd rather wear something other than shorts, buy a specific colored nice shorts, capris, or slacks to wear with your daycare shirt. That could be your 'uniform'. Or you could buy the shirts and slacks like nurses, dentist assistants, veternarian assistants wear.
Crazy8 07:08 AM 08-03-2011
I'm a jeans gal. I wear jeans almost every day in the winter or denim capris or shorts in the summer. I'm not really a sweats/yoga pants type of person. I wear mostly tees - some nicer than others but like you they generally end up stained so I don't buy anything expensive to wear - Kohl's brands works well for me!!
I do shower, do my hair (some days more than others, LOL) and put on makeup every morning - I think that is professional enough. I'm not walking around in my pj's and bunny slippers, LOL!!!
SandeeAR 07:13 AM 08-03-2011
Summer time: Shorts and tshirts
Winter time: PJ pants, scrub pants and long sleeved tshirts

I save the jewelry for the weekends. Not worth having a baby pull it and break it....and then try to eat it!

I do some make up, base, powder and blush. I save the eye makeup for when I'm outside the house.

All about comfort and cheap here. I wear things that I won't get upset if the kids ruin it!
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 08-03-2011
In cooler weather I wear jeans or pilates pants with athletic shoes

In warmer weather I wear jean/khaki shorts with flip-flops. I'm in southern CA so flip-flops are required footwear, even the 2yo's here are pro's in them.

As shirts I wear tank-tops, cami's or baby-T's depending on how cool or warm the weather is. Nothing really fancy or dressy. I think that the parents know that I need to be comfortable, they also know that we regularly do messy activities and often see me covered in paint, goop etc. I just try to have a lot of solid black pilates pants and I try to get my tops in fun designs like stars, hearts and characters etc. They're meant for the younger crowd and I'm sure I look like a silly 30yo but the kids like that I wear "fun" shirts and other people understand once I explain that I work in childcare .
erinalexmom 07:15 AM 08-03-2011
I have thought before of a "unform" of sorts. I get tired of anything I have getting ruined so I thought of just some plain polo shirts and maybe some khaki's or something. In my other job I can wear scrubs and it has made things so much easier so I am thinking of transfering that to daycare.
MarinaVanessa 07:19 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
In my other job I can wear scrubs and it has made things so much easier so I am thinking of transfering that to daycare.
I have heard of daycare providers using scrubs as uniforms. I think this is a great idea, they even have fun prints with cute characters, bold paterns, crayon prints, handprint prints, stick-figures etc. I was just googling "scrubs" actually lol
TBird 07:24 AM 08-03-2011
I like to look nice but I do mix it up some. Nice days include makeup (which I don't like to leave the house without), a nice top/jewelry/pants/jeans/shorts/capris. Dress down days include t-shirt/pants/jeans/shorts/capris.

It's all about changing the top, makeup, and jewelry I guess. Either way I wind up changing due to spit-up, poop, etc so since I'm a girly-girl I usually go for the "nice" no matter what.
sharlan 07:24 AM 08-03-2011
Right now, I'm in my nightgown. I had a rough night and over slept.

Normally, I wear jeans and t-shirts or shorts and t-shirts. I do brush my hair, but never wear make-up.
wdmmom 08:12 AM 08-03-2011
The hotter it is, the less I dress. Shorts and a tank top or t-shirt and sandals or flip flops

Winter I wear jeans, sweats, sweaters, turtlenecks, long sleeved shirts, etc.

My mood depends on how I dress. I knew it was gonna be another scorcher today so it's jean shorts and a tank top today.

I dress nice some days, others I dress in lounge-wear. I haven't had any complaints!
Meeko 08:19 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I have heard of daycare providers using scrubs as uniforms. I think this is a great idea, they even have fun prints with cute characters, bold paterns, crayon prints, handprint prints, stick-figures etc. I was just googling "scrubs" actually lol
This is me. I ordered cute "kiddie" scrubs online. I love the pockets in them as I go around the house. They are very comfortable. I still do my hair and put on makeup each morning though. No need to terrify the clients.....
KEG123 08:34 AM 08-03-2011
Jeans, Khackis, t shirts, polos, skirts, dressest, whatever floats my boat!! (I'm also pregnant, so have a very limited wardrome at the moment)
Zoe 08:41 AM 08-03-2011
Jeans every day. T-shirts, but they're fitted so they look nice while being practical as well. I put on makeup, not much, but it's needed. Otherwise the circles under my eyes make me look ghoulish! A nice hoodie is usually involved because I get cold easily.

Really, I don't dress up or down for my job. Just my regular clothes. I'm comfortable in them, I don't mind if they get dirty, and I feel good when I wear them.
Sunshine44 08:54 AM 08-03-2011
Tshirts, shorts. Sometimes I wear athletic shorts, sometimes jean shorts. Always barefoot in the house, flip flops outside. Most time I don't wear make up or fix my hair much.
Christian Mother 09:31 AM 08-03-2011
I'm a "mood" dresser. I like to dress to how i feel in the mornings. I normally don't wear make up as I don't like the time it takes to put it on in the mornings. I love my extra sleep. If I wear make at all it's put on when the kids nap..heheh!! Most of what I wear is comfortable. I have lots of sweat pants and also cute draw string shorts or pants or capri's I wear. All with matching shirts. Although in the summer since I live in the hot hot weather of AZ I wear tank tops although i tend to get cold often so I wear a light sweater inside the house but when we go outside I take that off. The parents for the most part don't comment on what I wear bc the kids come back with projects and also when they come into the house often see me on the floor playing with the kids. I very hands on. To clarify...my house is gated so each parent has there own key to the gate. My house is normally locked after the parents drop off by I unlock it after nap time as the parents start arrive about then.
MarinaVanessa 09:35 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
This is me. I ordered cute "kiddie" scrubs online. I love the pockets in them as I go around the house. They are very comfortable. I still do my hair and put on makeup each morning though. No need to terrify the clients.....
I love the idea of scrubs. Maybe not the pants of course but I'm sure the scrub shirts will go fine with active wear. The only thing that I'm worried about is the sizing. I'm petite (nice word for skinny ) and I don't want to be swimming in the shirts. I don't want to look sloppy
Meeko 09:45 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I love the idea of scrubs. Maybe not the pants of course but I'm sure the scrub shirts will go fine with active wear. The only thing that I'm worried about is the sizing. I'm petite (nice word for skinny ) and I don't want to be swimming in the shirts. I don't want to look sloppy
You can order all kinds of sizes and designs online. I am on the "fluffy" side and I had no problem getting some to fit me. You can get styles that tie, so you can pull them in at the waist if you are worried about swimming in fabric.

I love them. My regular clothes stay looking newer, longer. I have some cute Christmas scrubs (I only buy the tops...I usually wear jeans or casual pants on the bottom), some Halloween ones too. They wash and wash without shrinking.

I have a day care friend who had about 6 t-shirts made with her day care name and logo on them and she wears those every day like a uniform. That's a great idea too!
jojosmommy 10:42 AM 08-03-2011
I wear yoga pants/comfy shorts in the summer and a t shirt or tank top. I try to buy the ones that are a little more professional but still comfortable.

In the winter I wear jeans and a sweatshirt or long sleeve t type shirt.

I do my hair and makeup everyday so comfy clothes is my compromise.

I don't think my parents care what I wear. One mom drops off half the time in her pjs and goes back home to get ready- I don't notice what my parents are wearing half the time so I doubt they care.
SunflowerMama 11:03 AM 08-03-2011
I wear yoga pants or jeans and my staff shirt. I had 6 black shirts printed up through vista print with my logo and I love it.

I never have to think twice about what to wear.
rjskids 11:22 AM 08-03-2011
I don't have a name...or logo Maybe it's about time to think of one! I think the scrub ideas sound good too! That way if they do get a stain it will look "daycare" related and not "slob" related! haha
PitterPatter 12:01 PM 08-03-2011
I am all about comfort. Not sloppy comfort like ragged or stained but my attire is basic shorts, capris and t-shirts in the summer and winter is knit pants, sweats, t-shirts or sweatshirts if it's really cold. Summer I am almost always barefoot (hillbilly u could say ) I do wear sandals or clogs when we go out places. Winter it's socks in the house and sneakers outside usually. I wear the same outfits for interviews as I do everyday at daycare so the parent's know exactly what they are getting. Ponytail and all.
SandeeAR 12:44 PM 08-03-2011
[quote=MarinaVanessa;133456 I'm petite (nice word for skinny ) and I don't want to be swimming in the shirts. I don't want to look sloppy [/QUOTE]

My DD is a Childrens PT and wears them for work all the time. She is about 112 lbs. She gets the ex small, but still wears a tank under it b/c of the view from side to side when she lifts her arms.
Mom_of_two 12:48 PM 08-03-2011
I always shower and put on my make up! Hair is always back though. I feel like if my face/head is done I look good regardless. I wear matching sweat suit/ workout suit things every day. Cotton, with matching pants and jacket. Some velour, I have them in tons of colors. In the summer I wear a tank to under, winter long sleeve T. I feel put together because they are outfits. I love jeans but am not comfortable playing all day in them, and am dirty every day.
CheekyChick 12:50 PM 08-03-2011
We all wear t-shirts with my daycare name on them with leggings or jeans. I ALWAYS curl or straighten my hair or do a cute up do thingy. I ALWAYS wear a full face of makeup and lipstick, paint toe nails, etc. Even with all of that, I usually look ragged by the end of the day.
Cat Herder 01:08 PM 08-03-2011
Soft, washable, cotton in all it's various cleavage covering forms (both chest and tush ) in my appropriate size.

I leave the Muffin Tops to Betty Crocker and Victoria's Secret is safe with me....
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Soft, washable, cotton in all it's various cleavage covering forms (both chest and tush ) in my appropriate size.

I leave the Muffin Tops to Betty Crocker and Victoria's Secret is safe with me....

Unregistered 01:14 PM 08-03-2011
For those of you who do not have a logo or name you can buy solid color tshirts at Michaels or many craft stores really cheap. I think sometimes they have 2 for $5. I've also seen providers put each child's handprint on the shirt (with paint) and wear that instead of logo. I love that idea.
PitterPatter 01:35 PM 08-03-2011

Love this! Perfect!!
PitterPatter 01:38 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
For those of you who do not have a logo or name you can buy solid color tshirts at Michaels or many craft stores really cheap. I think sometimes they have 2 for $5. I've also seen providers put each child's handprint on the shirt (with paint) and wear that instead of logo. I love that idea.
I have done these handprint shirts! They are great for advertising and having good memories. My favorite is a footprint shirt. I only had 2 kids at the time it was made. I let 1 walk up the front and another down the back with dif color painted feet. Then I wrote "my daycare kids walk all over me" with paint markers on the chest.
sharlan 01:50 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have done these handprint shirts! They are great for advertising and having good memories. My favorite is a footprint shirt. I only had 2 kids at the time it was made. I let 1 walk up the front and another down the back with dif color painted feet. Then I wrote "my daycare kids walk all over me" with paint markers on the chest.
That is a really neat idea. Mind if I steal it?
PitterPatter 02:03 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
That is a really neat idea. Mind if I steal it?
Not at all, I have stolen lots of ideas from here. My pleasure to give a few back.
TBird 02:19 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
We all wear t-shirts with my daycare name on them with leggings or jeans. I ALWAYS curl or straighten my hair or do a cute up do thingy. I ALWAYS wear a full face of makeup and lipstick, paint toe nails, etc. Even with all of that, I usually look ragged by the end of the day.
My Twin....I've finally found you!!!
Sugar Magnolia 03:32 PM 08-03-2011
"Business casual" here! Khaki shorts or pants, polo shirt. But.....I wear Converse Chuck Taylor hi-tops with EVERYTHING! My husband says they look unprofessional, but I don't care! I luv me some Chucks! Or anything made by Converse! Downside: ALL the kids love my shoes, so the parents buy Chucks for their kids too! Oh no! Sooo hard to get Chucks on kids! But I own that issue!
Unregistered 03:40 PM 08-03-2011
I most definaetly dress for comfort. Capris, shorts, tees nothing that woud be a bog loss if it got stained. I put makeup on and earrings most mornings. No parent has ever complained about how I looked.
Kaddidle Care 04:07 PM 08-03-2011
Jeans and Tees or Capris and Tee's/Polo Shirts.

I like the idea of scrubs too. Walmart has them $10.00 and up.
littlemommy 06:07 AM 08-04-2011
Being 16 weeks pregnant and HUGE already, my everyday attire is all about comfort. Sweats, loose shirts, flip flops. When not pregnant, I wear jeans and a casual shirt, something I'm not afraid to get messy!
CheekyChick 06:16 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
My Twin....I've finally found you!!!
You too?
nannyde 06:19 AM 08-04-2011
sweats that are too big
tshirts that are too big
white socks that fit
Meyou 06:24 AM 08-04-2011
I wear jeans, yoga pants or shorts with a tank, fitted tshirt and a hoodie. I don't wear much makeup other than mascara. I only wear that because I'm so blond that my eyelashes are invisible without mascara and I look like a freak. lol
Cat Herder 07:46 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I don't wear much makeup other than mascara. I only wear that because I'm so blond that my eyelashes are invisible without mascara and I look like a freak. lol
Same here..... Gotta do a bit of 12 hour, no smudge lipstick too or I look pale as a ghost.
Unregistered 08:44 AM 08-04-2011
I agree that comfort is everything for this job, but we need to look professional as well. I got several tshirts (long and short sleeve) and sweatshirts in a variety of colors at our local printers and had my day care logo printed on them. They are my "uniform". They provide advertising for my business so they are deductible as an expense! I put them with jeans, capris, khakis, whatever and I am ready to work. Everyone compliments on them too!

I always come to the door ready to work. Dressed, showered, hair done, and a bit of make up on.
VanessaEO 09:44 AM 08-04-2011
I wear jeans and tank tops/t-shirts most days. I try to wear athletic shoes to keep my back and feet from hurting too much by the end of the day.

I have toyed with the idea of creating uniform shirts for myself. Mostly to keep my other shirts from getting stained with food, paint, dirt, etc, etc. I haven't done this yet, but maybe one day.

We do field trips, so along with the uniform for myself, I would love to have tshirts made for the kids for field trips. It would make it easy to spot kids. Maybe when I'm no longer pregnant. lol

Most days I wear a small amount of make up and either do my hair or put it up.
Meyou 10:28 AM 08-04-2011
Same here..... Gotta do a bit of 12 hour, no smudge lipstick too or I look pale as a ghost.
Hahaha! I have freckles so that gives me some color. I hate lipstick. My best friend's "bridezilla" request for her wedding was that I wear tinted lipgloss for the pictures.
Meeko 04:22 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I wear jeans, yoga pants or shorts with a tank, fitted tshirt and a hoodie. I don't wear much makeup other than mascara. I only wear that because I'm so blond that my eyelashes are invisible without mascara and I look like a freak. lol
Wow...we're all finding our twins today!!!
Hunni Bee 05:45 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
"Business casual" here! Khaki shorts or pants, polo shirt. But.....I wear Converse Chuck Taylor hi-tops with EVERYTHING! My husband says they look unprofessional, but I don't care! I luv me some Chucks! Or anything made by Converse! Downside: ALL the kids love my shoes, so the parents buy Chucks for their kids too! Oh no! Sooo hard to get Chucks on kids! But I own that issue!
Thats sounds cute!! I love chucks too...i have a pair of black ones that are literally falling apart...but their my favorite shoes and when they do, Im going to replace them with the exact same pair

I have a totally separate daycare wardrobe (which I of course wear more than my "real" clothes....they ARE my real clothes really)...consists of tshirts, bermuda shorts and jeans that have been phased out of my
other wardrobe. I have a few pairs of scrubs, which I wear mainly in the winter or when someone is coming to visit the center...but they're so hot I can't stand them...its 100+ degrees daily here.
mom2many 08:48 PM 08-05-2011
I like comfy, but casual! In winter, I love my velor sweats (that is my uniform of choice!) and in summer its skorts and capris with tank tops. I hate wearing anything stained, so I'm all about finding those great sales at the mall! I don't want to feel horrible when something gets ruined!
I always feel better when I take the time to style my hair and put on a little makeup...the kiddos could care less, but it just makes me feel better when I feel less frumpy!
Meyou 02:59 AM 08-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Wow...we're all finding our twins today!!!

Haha! The invisible eyelash crew! We could all band together without mascara and scare the parents. lol
Squirrel 06:10 AM 08-06-2011
I wear whatever I feel like. Often in the summer it's dressy capris/skirt and a tee shirt/tank top or a sundress. During the winter it's jeans and a sweater or sweatshirt. Yesterday I wore black pinstripe capris and a Fraggle Rock tee shirt. I make sure I'm comfortable and yet willing to still get messy. Some of my outfits are more dressy than others but a lot of my clothes are very old and I don't care if they get stained up from activities with the kids. I also never wear makeup and wear a cami rather than a bra but that's mainly because I spent years never finding a bra that fit.
ShortyMom 06:22 AM 08-06-2011
I am not a sweats person, but I do do jeans. Having spent a few semesters in nursing school, I think scrubs are an awesome idea. That way my clothing is saved, and I can be comfortable without the frump. And they can be cute. Plus, the major pattern companies usually sell scrub sewing patterns, so you can sew it in any pattern you want and make it fit you the first time.

I am short (<5') and tend to find the length on petite pants to be appropriate. Scrubs are designed to be looser for ease of movement, so just find a brand that fits you best... they always look better looser than tighter, believe me.
Tags:attire, clothing, dress code, professional, provider
Reply Up