Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default Possible Dope And Drop? Everyone Is Sick. :(

Had a kiddo come in Friday. Slightly runny nose, mild cough. After nap, 101, cough wakes him up, he coughs so hard he throws up. Sent him home.

Comes in Monday. By noonish, it's OBVIOUS he is still sick, and at this point, I ask him if he had medicine this morning and he said yes, his pink medicine. He takes a prescribed med daily for something unrelated, so I can't PROVE it. Send home Monday for 99.9 fever, not participating and bad cough. Dcd NOT happy.

Monday PM, also send home a dcg, same symptoms.

Tuesday-Dcb is back, cough is NOT better, still 99-100. Kid says no medicine. Send home, AGAIN. Tell them he needs a dr note before returning as the kids are dropping like flies. Same day dcg I sent home Monday is out sick, drs put her on antibiotics. Send TWO more kids home with the same symptoms.

Today-they are bringing dcb back with what the dr says is a 'non contagious virus' BUT the REST OF MY KIDS ARE ON ANTIBIOTICS! Turned away a kid at the door this morning for it, told Mom what was going on, and she is making an appt when the pediatrician opens.

I am SOOO TICKED RIGHT NOW. They are scheduled to drop off any minute, and they are going to be met with one annoyed provider.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Did they get a doctor's note saying it's a non contagious virus?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 AM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

I have a dry erase board right by the door. A week ago I had a notice on it with partially cap locks, Do NOT bring your child sick to daycare NOBODY WANTS COOTIES! All but one DCPs took it to heart. DCB threw up 1/2 after getting here. I had cooties all weekend, UGH!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

It's said & done now, but I'm curious as to why you accepted him into care on Tuesday when he was sent home on Monday.

I get that you're annoyed/unhappy about the possible dope & drop. I'd be annoyed too.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Had a kiddo come in Friday. Slightly runny nose, mild cough. After nap, 101, cough wakes him up, he coughs so hard he throws up. Sent him home.

Comes in Monday. By noonish, it's OBVIOUS he is still sick, and at this point, I ask him if he had medicine this morning and he said yes, his pink medicine. He takes a prescribed med daily for something unrelated, so I can't PROVE it. Send home Monday for 99.9 fever, not participating and bad cough. Dcd NOT happy.

Monday PM, also send home a dcg, same symptoms.

Tuesday-Dcb is back, cough is NOT better, still 99-100. Kid says no medicine. Send home, AGAIN. Tell them he needs a dr note before returning as the kids are dropping like flies. Same day dcg I sent home Monday is out sick, drs put her on antibiotics. Send TWO more kids home with the same symptoms.

Today-they are bringing dcb back with what the dr says is a 'non contagious virus' BUT the REST OF MY KIDS ARE ON ANTIBIOTICS! Turned away a kid at the door this morning for it, told Mom what was going on, and she is making an appt when the pediatrician opens.

I am SOOO TICKED RIGHT NOW. They are scheduled to drop off any minute, and they are going to be met with one annoyed provider.
Wait a minute... Do you have a dope and drop policy?? If so, the first step I would have made on last FRIDAY, would have been a call to dcm with "I need to know if you gave dcb ANY medicine before drop off because at the time medication WOULD have worn off, dcb became I'll here" and again on Monday "dcb says you gave him some pink medicine this morning"

And also on Tuesday, if yu sent him home Monday, then 24 hours wouldn't have been return on Tuesday morning right??

And regardless of what the dr says about non contagious and virus, did the kiddo still meet exclusion criteria?? If so, he should still be excluded.

Here, if I send a child home on Monday at noon even if I only had an exclusion of 24 hours symptom free, Tuesday wouldn't be 24 hours regardless.

I do realize by Tuesday everyone had already been exposed. I get it.

But I sincerely would have confronted mom on Friday about dope and drop and had a SERIOUS conversation about what happens when I catch them doing a dope and drop.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 AM
taylorw1210's Avatar
taylorw1210 taylorw1210 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 486
Default

I feel for you. I didn't have a dope and drop on Friday, but a dcb attended that literally took out my entire daycare with a stomach bug. He came Friday, vomited while in my care, he and his brother went home, and by Saturday evening/Sunday morning every daycare kid, most of their parents, my own kids, and myself were dropping like flies. It lasted until Monday morning/afternoon and I ended up closing Monday and Tuesday as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

I am an idiot. No other reason.

He is back. Still coughing. Pediatrician note (on my form) states 'non contagious' 'viral upper respiratory infection' 'may return to daycare with no restrictions'


BUT it also states dcb is on steroids and parents were advised to give mucinex. I just told Mom I disagree and would get a second opinion, I did tell her of my suspicions of medication use, and she of course blamed dcd blah blah, and I told her if it happens again, I will let them go.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I am an idiot. No other reason.

He is back. Still coughing. Pediatrician note (on my form) states 'non contagious' 'viral upper respiratory infection' 'may return to daycare with no restrictions'


BUT it also states dcb is on steroids and parents were advised to give mucinex. I just told Mom I disagree and would get a second opinion, I did tell her of my suspicions of medication use, and she of course blamed dcd blah blah, and I told her if it happens again, I will let them go.
I allow kids to come with a cough unless they are coughing uncontrollably or have other symptoms that would exclude. Is mom giving cough medications??

On my dr forms, the dr has to fill in ALL MEDICATIONS given or recommended whether OTC or prescription... I also require parents to bring me the pharmacy receipt to show me the meds they filled also.

Chances are if the child was placed on steroids they were also placed on antibiotics.

In this case, I would DEFINATELY explain to mom if I ever find out after the fact of medication usage it's grounds for immediate termination.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Trust me.....I understand . Ugh....live and learn....I would have had dcb stay home for 24 hours after sending home on Monday. I also would have told dcm that I exclude for symptoms and until they are gone dcb cannot return to child care.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

I would call the drs office myself and ask how they determine whether or not it's contagious? Because typically viruses ARE contagious and you have 4 other kids sent home sick with the same symptoms after this child and now with infectious symptoms and on antibiotics.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I would call the drs office myself and ask how they determine whether or not it's contagious? Because typically viruses ARE contagious and you have 4 other kids sent home sick with the same symptoms after this child and now with infectious symptoms and on antibiotics.
Exactly. If it's a virus and it's not contagious how did he contract it in the first place?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
Exactly. If it's a virus and it's not contagious how did he contract it in the first place?
It's a specific type of illness that can ONLY be found in daycares

It's very common in daycares but is RARELY found outside of daycare.

For some reason schools, clinics, McD's and Wal-Mart do NOT carry this virus.

You MUST attend a daycare in order to catch it.


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

You know mom told the dr he needs to go back to daycare so she can work and the they figured he's already exposed everyone so why not just go back to daycare. That's where having a SYMPTOM exclusion regardless of a drs note matters. The dr is obvious an idiot to even write such a note "non contagious virus" It's just ridiculous. This is exactly how illnesses spread in daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
It's a specific type of illness that can ONLY be found in daycares

It's very common in daycares but is RARELY found outside of daycare.

For some reason schools, clinics, McD's and Wal-Mart do NOT carry this virus.

You MUST attend a daycare in order to catch it.


You forgot to mention that the illness only spreads one way and it's always to your child and can never spread to another child, which is why your child does not need to be excluded.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

I'm surprised the doc didn't just write it was nothing but "allergies" or "teething" lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
24/48, dope and drop, dope; drop, enforcing policies - consistency, exclusion, exclusions, illness policy, provider accountability

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dope and Drop for Teething DaycareMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 03-05-2014 11:00 AM
Late Payment Issue, Long-Sorry daycarediva Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 01-14-2014 02:39 PM
Illness Policy/Dope and Drop butterfly Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 02-06-2013 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming