Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can I See Your Word Wall?
MarinaVanessa 10:43 AM 06-21-2015
EDIT: I'm goofy today. I asked about a word wall but I meant Reading wall. And really it's more like a wall with the alphabet on it, pictures and a sentence as an example of the letter etc.

I know some of you with preschool curricula have a reading/alphabet wall. I've never used one but I wanted to start using one. Is anyone willing to share photos of theirs?

I don't have a lot of space and I've seen word walls in schools that take a large area of a wall. I'm hoping I can get ideas to make my own wall. The only areas that I have available for one is the back of a door, a 6' x 5' area near my front door (would be eye level) or 3 1/2' wide and all the way up to the ceiling (but wouldn't all be eye level), and a 3' x 10' area above my couch.

I have to figure out how to fit 26 letters in one of those spaces and could use some inspiration.
Josiegirl 10:56 AM 06-21-2015
http://lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot....rd-pillar.html

This probably isn't what you had in mind but it would help with your space issue and it's pretty cute.

Oh check pinterest! I found the caterpillar one there but they have lots of cool ideas! Just search preschool word walls. Good luck.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:17 PM 06-21-2015
Not exactly what you're asking for, but good for limited space...

Each of my kids has an "I Can Read" book, 26 index cards hole-punched and attached with binder rings. Each page is marked with one letter--both upper and lower case. It starts out being for environmental print: one kid recognizes the logo for "Frozen," so we cut it out and tape it on their F page. Another kid has "Cheerios" cut from the box and taped onto their C page. Etc. Over time, we add words they know how to read: friends' names, mommy, etc.

In addition, they each have an envelope of words they want to learn to read. They ask for a word, I write it on an index card and we add it to their envelope. Once they can remember it, we add another.
mamamanda 05:30 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
http://lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot....rd-pillar.html

This probably isn't what you had in mind but it would help with your space issue and it's pretty cute.

Oh check pinterest! I found the caterpillar one there but they have lots of cool ideas! Just search preschool word walls. Good luck.
I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. We're so going to work on this today!
Snowmom 06:44 AM 06-22-2015
Not exactly a Word wall, but we're doing a label project this month. Kids bring in labels from the foods they eat and we are sorting them alphabetically (beginning letter) and using them for phonic exercises.
Attached: iphone_photo-1.jpg (23.8 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 07:50 AM 06-22-2015
Not exatly what I was looking for ladies but still A LOT of help. You gals gave me ideas for activities to try for teaching the alphabet/alphabet sounds.

I like the label books and wall. Definitely will try that one.

I did go out to the Dollar Tree yesterday and found mini poster boards so I'm going to see if I can fit 26 of them on my wall.
Controlled Chaos 08:24 AM 06-22-2015
I don't have a word wall. But I have a ABC poster, number poster and shape poster on a wall at child level. I also have a chalk wall, which I love, its great to be able to write letters, words and shapes, have the kids practice and then clean it off
MarinaVanessa 08:46 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I don't have a word wall. But I have a ABC poster, number poster and shape poster on a wall at child level. I also have a chalk wall, which I love, its great to be able to write letters, words and shapes, have the kids practice and then clean it off
I have all of these too but instead of a chalk wall I have a large chalkboard but it's outside. I even have a poster with the alphabet in sign language, I just wanted to have something with the alphabet that the kids could build on as they learned the alphabet. I think I have something figured out, I just have to actually do it now
Tags:reading, reading corner, reading wall
Reply Up