Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Van - Coats in Boosters
happymom 08:56 AM 03-02-2018
OK, so I have been REALLY happy with my daycare situation lately.

I love the director. Love her. And the teachers in all my kids classrooms.

My oldest gets transported in a big van (I think it's a 12 or 15 passenger Ford Transit) -- not exactly sure. BUT, daycare transportation scares the crap out of me. My son is harnessed with me, but in a no back booster at daycare. When I changed him to this center, I asked if I could see how they buckle him in the van and to see the car seats they use and make sure he was within the limits. They told me they always have boosters for all the kids that need boosters (but I think by law they only need boosters until they are 8 --- I know safety wise, that that is not the case, and I will worry about that when my son turns 8).

I meticulously taught my son the importance of riding safe, not slouching, how the seat belt should fit him, and to always take his winter coat off before buckling. I told him if he ever gets in the van and they don't have a booster for him, that he is not to ride in the van and he needs to have the driver call me right away. Overboard? I don't know. Sometimes I don't know where to draw the line between crazy protective and regular mom looking out for her kid.

Yesterday my son (who turns 6 this month) came home upset because the driver of the van told him he needs to ride with his coat on. Her reasoning is that he struggles climbing into the van when he's carrying his coat and his backpack (according to him). I did some research and found out that it might be safe for him to ride with his coat unzipped. Maybe it is? I'm honestly much more comfortable with him riding without his coat at all. We don't live in sub zero temps, he's fine for a few minutes without his coat.

Should I bring it up with the director? My son told me "everyone" rides the van in their coats with their backpacks on (something I specifically told him he is NEVER to do no matter what). I'm not here to micromanage and make sure all the kids are riding safe, I will mind my own business when it comes to all the other kids, but I am kind of ticked that he was told to wear his coat when I specifically told him not to.

Does anyone have an alternate point of view? I'm trying to be very open minded. I don't have a lot of tolerance for improper car seat use.
happymom 09:12 AM 03-02-2018
I also told him he should just put his coat INSIDE his backpack before he gets in.

I know that the carpool line at school needs to move super quick --- but I don't feel bad that my kids safety is a priority.
daycarediva 09:18 AM 03-02-2018
nope. I would NOT be happy with this, and although SCHOOL BUSES are safe, this is just a van. No way would I be risking his life everyday.

I would offer to supply the seat. I would offer to purchase a coat to leave AT school so he doesn't have the bulk of carrying it, but I would NOT be allowing both the inappropriate seat (I would want the harness still) OR the coat/BACKPACK on while they are moving.
Country Kids 09:24 AM 03-02-2018
Do other children at other times ride in the van? Would the car seat you want for your son be taking a spot that maybe another child would need in a booster? Could another child use your car seat if needed if used at other times.

You don't want to be taking it in and out daily, so is leaving it in the van daily going to cause issues?
happymom 10:24 AM 03-02-2018
A no back booster is actually a appropriate seat for him if he is using it correctly.

To clarify, I am FINE with him using a booster if he is buckled correctly. I asked him if it ever happened before, and this was the first time. He seemed so ashamed that he wore his coat in the buckle because he KNOWS better than that.

I'm hoping it just doens't happen again. It's been since August that he's been riding in the van with no incident.
happymom 10:26 AM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Do other children at other times ride in the van? Would the car seat you want for your son be taking a spot that maybe another child would need in a booster? Could another child use your car seat if needed if used at other times.

You don't want to be taking it in and out daily, so is leaving it in the van daily going to cause issues?
Yes, the van does other pick ups and I could not leave a harnessed seat installed permanently in there. The booster he uses belongs to the daycare, but I wouldn't have a problem purchasing one for him to use if I ever needed to.

I haven't explored the options of using a harnessed seat much because I feel a booster is an appropriate seat for the situation.
happymom 10:47 AM 03-02-2018
I talked to the assistant director and she said "usually we do have them wear their coats so they don't get lost" -- I told her that I'll have him put it in his backpack from now on so he only has one item to transport with him.

I just told her that we follow a strict "no coats in car seats policy" and that he felt really bad when he had to wear his coat yesterday and they said they'd make sure it doesn't happen again. =)

Communication, I suck at it. I always get upset first. I DO feel kind of guilty for not advocating for the kids who wear their backpacks in the van but seriously, all of them are old enough to be taught by their parents not to do that.
Country Kids 10:49 AM 03-02-2018
I would then talk to the director and let her know your concerns.

No one should have back packs on even in a booster. I believe a coat would be fine because it would be like us having a coat on when in a car.
happymom 11:01 AM 03-02-2018
I would then talk to the director and let her know your concerns.

No one should have back packs on even in a booster. I believe a coat would be fine because it would be like us having a coat on when in a car.
Coats can actually change the fit and can even be problematic for adults to wear in the car, but adults have adult skeletons and can make decisions for themselves. I personally do not wear a coat in the car because it sets an example for my children.

https://csftl.org/hello-winter-good-bye-coats/

This is a good article explaining it. I did some trials with my son last night while exploring the option of him wearing an unzipped coat in the car, and it actually altered the seat belt fit and put the belt on his neck.

Because he's such a young booster rider, I feel it's very important to not add such variances especially in a situation where I feel he is responsible for making sure he is buckled correctly and I am not there to supervise and check his belt fit.
proudmommyofthree 11:21 AM 03-02-2018
I transport in a 15 passenger van. When I load the kids in my van for pick up and drop offs at school, I have booster seats. I have 2 infant car seats and two harness seats for my toddlers that stay in my van. They get installed and stay in there until it is no longer needed. Now for the 5 amd 6 year olds they are in a booster seat with the backs. For 7 year olds they can use the regular booster seat no backs (or with backs depending on the size of the child.) now I never allow any of the kids to sit with backpacks or heavy coats (I’m in California so it really doesn’t get too cold for heavy jackets) backpacks are put in the front ( I have a passenger seat removed with the approval from CHP) anyway this is where the kids place their backpacks. I then Make sure they are all buckled in. If I were you I would speak with the director or driver of the vans. It’s wasier for the kids to load and unload without their backpacks on.
happymom 11:39 AM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I transport in a 15 passenger van. When I load the kids in my van for pick up and drop offs at school, I have booster seats. I have 2 infant car seats and two harness seats for my toddlers that stay in my van. They get installed and stay in there until it is no longer needed. Now for the 5 amd 6 year olds they are in a booster seat with the backs. For 7 year olds they can use the regular booster seat no backs (or with backs depending on the size of the child.) now I never allow any of the kids to sit with backpacks or heavy coats (I’m in California so it really doesn’t get too cold for heavy jackets) backpacks are put in the front ( I have a passenger seat removed with the approval from CHP) anyway this is where the kids place their backpacks. I then Make sure they are all buckled in. If I were you I would speak with the director or driver of the vans. It’s wasier for the kids to load and unload without their backpacks on.
That's a great idea! I really am shocked that they are allowing kids to ride with backpacks especially but I don't want to overstep either.
hwichlaz 11:58 AM 03-02-2018
Using car seats contrary to manufacturers instructions is a licensing violation in every state I’ve ever looked it up for.
happymom 12:38 PM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Using car seats contrary to manufacturers instructions is a licensing violation in every state I’ve ever looked it up for.
I am surprised but I can not find anywhere in the manual where it says this is dangerous

https://www.harmonyjuvenile.com/medi...ENG-SPA_S3.pdf
happymom 12:44 PM 03-02-2018
"Have your child sit on the booster seat with their back
flat against the car seat."

That should probably cover the backpack thing, actually. I can't find a place where it addresses coats.
Country Kids 12:51 PM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
"Have your child sit on the booster seat with their back
flat against the car seat."

That should probably cover the backpack thing, actually. I can't find a place where it addresses coats.
I don't think you will find it as it's not an actual law but more of a suggestion.
happymom 12:57 PM 03-02-2018
I don't think you will find it as it's not an actual law but more of a suggestion.
I really for more like it's not my place to step in and tell them how to make other people's children ride. BUT I do feel like I have a responsibility for my own child and if I ask that he ride without his coat, that it should be respected.

This was the FIRST time I ever addressed it with the daycare. I felt if I told him to take off his coat, he is responsible enough to follow our rule at daycare and it wouldn't be a problem.

Daycare is respectful towards me and said it won't be a problem to have him ride without a coat, so the problem is now solved for MY child. Sometimes it's hard to draw the line where you advocate for other kid's safety but in this instance it is not my place.
Tags:6 year old, 7 year old, own child, school aged care, van
Reply Up