Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Fruit the New Soda?
Pestle 09:21 AM 11-09-2017
When I was growing up in the '80s, I rarely drank anything but soda, and nobody gave it a second thought. My parents taught me good oral hygiene, so I ended up with crowns on my baby teeth but no other long-term damage. I used to see kids at the playground with rotten teeth--it was pretty gruesome.

Now, I've had a few kids come through my day care who eat nothing but fruit. Their parents are proud of how "healthy" this is, and they're giving whole fruit instead of juice, but I think all fruit all the time is just their kids' way of taking in sugar constantly instead of the balance of healthy fats and protein and minerals and vitamins they can't get from fruit. (I broke a tooth a couple of years ago and it turns out all the women in my family have low calcium--heckuva way to find out!)

The outcome of a diet that's too heavy in fruit? It's an outcome indeed. These kids poop over, and over, and over, all day--smelly, tacky poop.

Does anybody else think this is a parenting trend, or am I reading too much into a few people's habits?
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
When I was growing up in the '80s, I rarely drank anything but soda, and nobody gave it a second thought. My parents taught me good oral hygiene, so I ended up with crowns on my baby teeth but no other long-term damage. I used to see kids at the playground with rotten teeth--it was pretty gruesome.

Now, I've had a few kids come through my day care who eat nothing but fruit. Their parents are proud of how "healthy" this is, and they're giving whole fruit instead of juice, but I think all fruit all the time is just their kids' way of taking in sugar constantly instead of the balance of healthy fats and protein and minerals and vitamins they can't get from fruit. (I broke a tooth a couple of years ago and it turns out all the women in my family have low calcium--heckuva way to find out!)

The outcome of a diet that's too heavy in fruit? It's an outcome indeed. These kids poop over, and over, and over, all day--smelly, tacky poop.

Does anybody else think this is a parenting trend, or am I reading too much into a few people's habits?
Nope, I totally agree.

Parents see it as a healthy option but like anything too much of it and it is not longer a positive.

That is the very reason I don't serve fruit often. (I know the kids get alot of it at home). I serve two veggies instead.

Actually we serve probably 4 or more veggies for lunch but at least 2 for sure and to meet food program requirements.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:23 AM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:

No, it is definitely a trend. Whole, organic foods are the newest thing, but since kids are picky, fruits are the easiest to get them to eat. Whenever a family says they only eat organic, whole foods, I expect that a large part of the children's diet is fruit based. It should be vegetable based (greens), with protein and fat, but again, kids like fruit, so to the parent, it is an achievement, because at least they are not eating candy and chips.
Cat Herder 09:29 AM 11-09-2017
The new food rules are making a dent in parent education but causing some initial confusion. The take home pictographs of how much sugar is in each fruit helps some parents to clue in.

You can have the kids make their own graphs by coloring different fruits, candies and soft drinks then gluing glitter or colored sand to represent the grams of sugar in each serving. I used real sugar once, it went over badly.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 11-09-2017
YES! When I was growing up in the 80's it was soda, and kool aid so thick it was like ketchup. EVERYONE drank it. BUT, we didn't see a ton of overweight kids. Everyone was still outside playing and burning it off. Wonder bread. Whole milk. Sugar popscicles. PB&J's were daily staples.

I honestly didn't know most fruit/vegetables came out of a can until I was in school. My mom was the queen of hamburger helper. Sometimes without the hamburger. Just looking at a box makes me gag now.

I have had to say two servings a day is enough fruit to the kids. I don't even offer seconds of fruit. Eg. if I serve a fruit at breakfast, and again at snack- they have met their fruit requirement already.

My issue is JUICE. I have sooo many juice junkies right now!
Pestle 09:32 AM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I used real sugar once, it went over badly.
"What did we do today, Mama? Oh, we ate paper."
midaycare 10:21 AM 11-09-2017
Yes! I see this all the time. I'm like BC and feed veggies instead of fruit. I love veggies, so it's not a big deal to me I've learned how to hide them in literally everything. I also never tell the kiddos what they are eating. Anytime they ask, "Ms Midaycare, what is this?" I answer, "What do you think it is?" Lol...I'm not playing the, "I don't like brussel sprouts!" game.
hwichlaz 10:27 AM 11-09-2017
I give fruit with breakfast...because I can't stomach veggies with breakfast. My own hang up, lol But they get two veggies at lunch and they get a veggie as part of their snack.
HappyEverAfter 10:56 AM 11-09-2017
I do fruit at breakfast and if for some reason we skip it at breakfast, I'll do it at lunch along with the normal veggies we would eat. We do juice at breakfast but that's all the juice they get for the day. After that it's one cup of milk and then all the water they want. More than fruit being the new soda, I see parents overdoing milk. I have one dck (1yr old) who would drink whole milk all day long if I let her. When she started with me, she'd been getting five or more 9oz bottles of whole milk a day, in addition to 3 full meals and 2 snacks. Her old daycare person used to let her just walk around drinking a bottle all day and would refill it as needed. Now she gets 6oz in a sippy cup (we don't do bottles here anymore) and she definitely isn't allowed to walk around with it. They're still giving her two 9oz bottles at home but she certainly isn't getting that much from me!
Mom2Two 11:45 AM 11-09-2017
I would be careful not to give a negative message about fruit, more a message of "out of balance." We need all the food groups in a proper amount, but fruit is just part of one food group.

After water, vegies are the lowest calorie food we eat.

I'm trying to switch to four vegies at lunch too. I'll keep the fruit option for when I'm having a rough day and want to go with my plan B for lunch.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I would be careful not to give a negative message about fruit, more a message of "out of balance." We need all the food groups in a proper amount, but fruit is just part of one food group.

After water, vegies are the lowest calorie food we eat.

I'm trying to switch to four vegies at lunch too. I'll keep the fruit option for when I'm having a rough day and want to go with my plan B for lunch.
Personally I think we could live with out fruit.

My own son doesn't like a single fruit. Not one.
(yes, I thought he was just being stubborn when he was little...like who seriously doesn't eat bananas?!)

He's still healthy though.... all the way through childhood.

I myself, don't really eat fruit.
I like it, I just don't eat it.
Mom2Two 12:10 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally I think we could live with out fruit.
ITA I was thinking of what to say to the parents, like, "Remember, dcm, we need all the food groups in the right balance, and fruit is just part of one food group."
Country Kids 08:58 AM 11-13-2017
How is everyone serving two veggies at lunch? Our new food recuirment is a fruit and a veggie. We can no longer serve two of the same component.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
How is everyone serving two veggies at lunch? Our new food recuirment is a fruit and a veggie. We can no longer serve two of the same component.
No, the new requirements state you CAN serve 2 veggies instead of a fruit at lunch.

Here is the rule:

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...ealpattern.pdf

Scroll down to bottom of page 2. #7 (explanation is in the beginning of page 3) it says: "A vegetable may be used to meet the entire fruit requirement. When two vegetables are served at lunch or supper, two different kinds of vegetables must be served."
Country Kids 10:31 AM 11-13-2017
That's right! We can no longer serve two fruits . I knew there was a change was thinking though it had to be a fruit and veggie.
Max 11:33 AM 11-13-2017
I’m probably guilty of the fruit thing. And the mindset of “its better than candy!” Which Im sure it is since our bodies handle processed sugars differently. Im anti-juice though.

Nutrition is SO important to me. I was raised on kool-aid, chocolate milk, hamburger helper, and mashed potatoe sandwiches. Obesity is a huge issue in my family, diabetes on both sides, and my mom was recently diagnosed with heart failure. I was never raised or taught about nutrition so now I’m teaching myself so I can raise my kids healthier.

But honestly, especially since daycare opened, I feel like I’m drowning in keeping up with all my obligations. DS doesn’t like most veggies, DH hates almost all and would eat out every night if I let him (SO tempting because it’s SO much easier), so sometimes keeping several fruits on hand and one veggie that everyone will eat feels like the best I can do

The daycare kids, on the other hand, gobble veggies up and are much better eaters than my family!
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
I’m probably guilty of the fruit thing. And the mindset of “its better than candy!” Which Im sure it is since our bodies handle processed sugars differently. Im anti-juice though.

Nutrition is SO important to me. I was raised on kool-aid, chocolate milk, hamburger helper, and mashed potatoe sandwiches. Obesity is a huge issue in my family, diabetes on both sides, and my mom was recently diagnosed with heart failure. I was never raised or taught about nutrition so now I’m teaching myself so I can raise my kids healthier.

But honestly, especially since daycare opened, I feel like I’m drowning in keeping up with all my obligations. DS doesn’t like most veggies, DH hates almost all and would eat out every night if I let him (SO tempting because it’s SO much easier), so sometimes keeping several fruits on hand and one veggie that everyone will eat feels like the best I can do

The daycare kids, on the other hand, gobble veggies up and are much better eaters than my family!
That is very common. Their taste buds have been brainwashed. and will always resist unless forced to change.

My DH and I over hauled our eating habits when he became a type 1 diabetic. We eat pretty healthy now days but I will admit there are days I "crave" some old habits but luckily my tastebuds revolt now so even a small amount of something we no longer eats makes me nauseated and to be totally honest none of it tastes that great anymore so in order to change your eating habits you have to do some retraining.

But the good news is that it's not impossible and it doesn't take too long to create a healthy habit.
Pestle 02:35 PM 11-13-2017
Mine refuses to eat almost anything but starches. He eats cereal multiple times a day. He manages to find chicken nuggets on the menu at every restaurant we go to. So I just don't shop for him. He's going to buy junk food on his lunch break, anyway, so there's no point in buying food he likes; he still won't eat it.

The one advance we made? A military friend--guy with a strong jaw and a crew cut and an intimidating dress uniform--teased him for not eating spinach. So he ordered the spinach, and discovered he LIKES spinach.

Apparently, macho peer pressure is what it takes to make a man start eating like a man.
Max 09:15 AM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is very common. Their taste buds have been brainwashed. and will always resist unless forced to change.

My DH and I over hauled our eating habits when he became a type 1 diabetic. We eat pretty healthy now days but I will admit there are days I "crave" some old habits but luckily my tastebuds revolt now so even a small amount of something we no longer eats makes me nauseated and to be totally honest none of it tastes that great anymore so in order to change your eating habits you have to do some retraining.

But the good news is that it's not impossible and it doesn't take too long to create a healthy habit.
The tastebuds part is spot on!!!

Ever since my mom was diagnosed we cut back on sodium big time (she lived with us for a bit) and now anything that’s loaded with it makes me gag!
CeriBear 04:53 AM 11-15-2017
I don’t have much of a problem with the kids eating fruit. It is sweet but it does have some nutritional value and fruits like fresh apples and pears do provide fiber. My kids love fruits like apples, oranges, peaches, pears, bananas, and strawberries. We’ve tried pineapple and watermelon too and they seem to like those as well.

I’m not big on serving a lot of juice. It’s full it sugar and does not provide any fiber the way fresh fruit does.
Tags:sugar
Reply Up