Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Crafts
Unregistered 09:38 AM 03-03-2018
At what age do you start doing real crafts with kids. Not the handprints things or fingerpainting but real "bunch of pieces" crafts.

I have 2 four year olds that I do crafts with but now the parents are asking why their siblings aren't bringing home the same crafts. They are 16 months old and anything the parents got would basically be made by me not their "babies". so what is the point?

These particular kids won't even stick something onto glue I have already put on the paper. Everything automatically goes in their mouths.

I have explained this to parents but I still get the passive aggressive " oh you didn't do anything today" from the parents. Ugggggg

What age do you start including kids in crafts?
CalCare 11:49 AM 03-03-2018
Honestly, I don't have any kids do predetermined crafts. My ages are 9 months, 3@ 26 months, 20 months, and my 5 year old son. I have always available on shelves: recyclables and paper, pencils, crayons, glue sticks and random extra scraps. I keep the scissors, liquid glue, paint, stamps with ink and markers up for when I can closely supervise. I set out something here and there outdoors and indoors everyday like just papers and crayons or something, but they always have the shelves they can get whatever they want whenever. I will occasionally do something special like I bought stick wreaths at the dollar store recently and I will put those out one day with pieces of ribbins and flowers and I'll help them wrap them with the ribbons. But general art in a regular basis, I was influenced in art classes and creative classes to just leave all the ideas to the kids.
Josiegirl 01:30 PM 03-03-2018
I think it's more of a free form art than craftsy type stuff. My 17 mo draws more on her hands and the table than on her paper but I do see improvement so I keep offering. If dcm is all passive aggressive disappointed in lack of crafts for the younger one, take pictures of them doing all kinds of other stuff and remind parents how much their little ones are learning and how their fine motor skills are developing by allowing freedom of exploration on their own time tables; maybe even make a poster with all the dcks' pictures and activities they're doing. I don't know why so much importance is placed on artwork and crafts, especially crafts, because so much is directed by an adult when they're little. I can cover a piece of paper with glue and my 17 mo will have more fun sticking stuff on and peeling it back off. Then what is left to show for it? Splotches of dried glue. Lol
I don't know if this will help but I've always loved this poem; it helps let parents know what their children are learning, even when they're not gluing, cutting, painting, etc.

Just Playing

When I am building in the block room, please don't say I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes. Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies, don't get the idea I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play; I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative. I may be an artist or an inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience, please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice things I find, don't pass it off as "just play". For you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school, please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play". I'm learning to follow direction and see differences. I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works. I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played", please don't misunderstand me. For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow. Today, I am a child and my work is play.

~Anita Wadley
mamamanda 02:53 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I think it's more of a free form art than craftsy type stuff. My 17 mo draws more on her hands and the table than on her paper but I do see improvement so I keep offering. If dcm is all passive aggressive disappointed in lack of crafts for the younger one, take pictures of them doing all kinds of other stuff and remind parents how much their little ones are learning and how their fine motor skills are developing by allowing freedom of exploration on their own time tables; maybe even make a poster with all the dcks' pictures and activities they're doing. I don't know why so much importance is placed on artwork and crafts, especially crafts, because so much is directed by an adult when they're little. I can cover a piece of paper with glue and my 17 mo will have more fun sticking stuff on and peeling it back off. Then what is left to show for it? Splotches of dried glue. Lol
I don't know if this will help but I've always loved this poem; it helps let parents know what their children are learning, even when they're not gluing, cutting, painting, etc.

Just Playing

When I am building in the block room, please don't say I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes. Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies, don't get the idea I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play; I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative. I may be an artist or an inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience, please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice things I find, don't pass it off as "just play". For you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school, please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play". I'm learning to follow direction and see differences. I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works. I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played", please don't misunderstand me. For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow. Today, I am a child and my work is play.

~Anita Wadley

Unregistered 03:12 PM 03-03-2018
For young children it is process over product. Maybe take a pic of the child using materials to give the parent?
My toddlers often put all kinds of things on their papers with glue, and then remove each one. They don't care that they have nothing to take home.
BrynleeJean 04:25 PM 03-03-2018
i wouldn't start kids crafts earlier than 18 months with glue and paper because they can put it in their mouth and after 18 months its a little less likely.
now even at 18 months they aren't gonna bring home anything great like if i give a group of 3 kids (one 18 months, one 3 and one 5 years) the same craft, an orange pumpkin and then some like triangles for the eyes and a mouth, the 18 month old is going to need to put the glue on, id put it on all at once and leave them to do it and whatever it looks like thats it. thats after I explain the art and stuff though.
i don't think they get much out of it maybe but the feeling of participation but if it makes your parents happy
KSDC 07:31 PM 03-03-2018
Around 15 months or so, I start offering crayons and paper for the littles while the big kids are coloring, and cutting and gluing and painting and all the other fun activities. Under very close supervision, so that they don't eat the crayons. Between 18 mos and 2 years, they start getting to do more. I usually take the projects that the older kids are doing and simplify/modify it into something that they can do too. For me, the goal is to get them to work on fine motor skills and it is a great place to talk colors and shapes. By the time they are 2, they are even using scissors, under direct supervision, to snip strips of paper.
HappyEverAfter 02:01 PM 03-04-2018
My oldest is 20 months and she does a lot of free painting and coloring and only an occasional detailed craft. I start free coloring at 12 mths and from there, depending on ability of each child, we do more. That said, I’ve never done a full on craft with a child younger than 17 months.
e.j. 07:27 PM 03-04-2018
For me, it depends on the level of interest a child is showing vs. age. I've had some really young kids (12 - 18 mo) who have loved sitting with the older kids and doing crafts and I've had 3 year olds who have no interest in the process at all. It also depends on how well I can supervise the younger child to make sure they aren't eating crayons or gluing their eyelids shut.

If younger kids want to join in on a craft, I try to figure out some way to include them. If the older kids are painting, for example, I'll give the younger child a clean paint brush and a small amount of water they can use to "paint" on a piece of construction paper. If the kids are gluing with glue sticks, I'll sit with the youngest child while they "color" with their glue stick and make sure they don't eat it or get too sticky. I have one who likes to rub the glue on her hands. A little is fine but too much makes clean up a lot harder!

I like Josie's idea of taking pictures of the kids while they're doing activities so the parents can see they are active and learning vs. sitting, twiddling their thumbs while the older kids are doing crafts. I do the same.
LK5kids 02:29 PM 03-05-2018
I don't often do a bunch of pieces art. Even with older kids. I tend to cut out a shape ( or they cut if they can) that matches the theme and have them do a collage, add stickers, watercolor paint, wheel paint, etc.

Since it's almost always process art my kiddos start as soon as they seem interested, which tends to be about 16 mo. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

If there are pieces all the children do it anyway they want. Here's some examples. The triangle Santa does have pieces but possibly all the pieces will be stuck in one pile if a young child is doing it. I only do something like this a few times a year.

The bunny Would be made by golf ball painting. These are pictures I've saved from the internet but are things I've done. I wouldn't use glitter but I'd use glitter paint from discount school supply. I love glitter paint! I use a lot of bright or neon construction paper and/or paint.

The jack o lantern has pieces but it's very simple! I always put glue in the paint so pieces stick wherever they place them after it dries.

The Pom pon prints on egg shape would not be this neat! Oh, darn! Only one thumbnail showed up! Grrrr!
Attached: image.jpg (930.4 KB) 
LK5kids 02:32 PM 03-05-2018
Here's another!
Attached: image.jpg (310.7 KB) 
LK5kids 02:33 PM 03-05-2018
Pom pon prints!
Attached: image.jpg (298.9 KB) 
LK5kids 02:34 PM 03-05-2018
Triangle Santa
Attached: image.jpg (35.8 KB) 
Tags:crafts
Reply Up