Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Moving. What Would You Do?
MN Day Mom 06:41 AM 07-23-2012
I have a family that is going to be moving out of town, as a result their two kids will be leaving my care.

I'm not actively looking to fill these spots yet as they don't even have the for sale sign in their yard yet. That said, I am unsure of what I will do or should do if I would get a call and have the opportunity to replace their children before they are ready to fully give me notice?

What would you do? Would you wait till this family gives official notice, which they'll do after they accept an offer on their house or would you fill it if the opportunity came up before then??
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 07-23-2012
Depends on why they are moving. Do they have a time frame where they HAVE to be in the new area such as a new job or because the kids have to start at a new school?

Otherwise, it could be months or even a year or more before their house sells and they leave...kwim?

Also, just because they told you they are leaving, doesn't mean they have given official notice yet. Until they give notice, I wouldn't do anything. Any family could up and leave at any time so until they give notice, I would behave as if they aren't leaving.

More than anything, it is tough right now just because you now have that info.... I think it is great they were upfront with you about it but it still makes it tough.
MN Day Mom 09:08 AM 07-23-2012
They are selling to be closer to their jobs.

The housing market has picked up in my area, so I am thinking it won't take too long for them to sell. I hate knowing that they are leaving, but I am grateful that they gave me the heads up and are going to keep me updated during the process. Not sure if I'll be able to have the mindset to behave as if they aren't leaving?

I guess I'll just do one day at a time and see what happens...
Truly Scrumptious 11:46 AM 07-23-2012
I agree with Blackcat....it was very nice of them to give you such an early heads up...

Unfortunatley it does make you anxious about filling the slots now, if you are getting calls.

I would just tell them thank you for letting you know what's going on and then ask them if they would,....to please keep you updated and that you would like it if they would still give you a couple of weeks notice regarding the move, so you can plan accordingly.
jojosmommy 07:20 PM 07-23-2012
Can you add kids without going over your ratio? If so I would add kids now to replace those leaving, then keep the old family until they leave. Only works if your not at capacity for licensing or your sanity .
Crazy8 05:16 AM 07-24-2012
I would not replace them before they give notice. I completely understand the desire to do so BUT this is why we have a 2 week (or however long) notice in our policies!!! I wouldn't feel right not abiding to that! Not sure how it is where you are but here it takes at least 4-6 weeks to close so I would think even if they give notice once their house is under contract they are giving you more than the "required" time.
Tags:family's moving, filling spaces, giving notice
Reply Up