Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing Teeth??
Willow 11:24 AM 03-01-2013
Anyone know when kids are supposed to start losing their teeth?

I have a kiddo who is just 5, lost one, lost another last night and has several more loose right now?

Her age strikes me as pretty young to be dropping them like that but I'm not sure if that's just because my kids started losing theirs much later than usual (2nd and summer before 3rd grade respectively). I do remember kids losing them in 1st grade but never as early as age 5.
ABCDaycareMN 11:30 AM 03-01-2013
My son in kindergarten will be 6 in April just lost his first one a couple weeks ago.
mema 11:33 AM 03-01-2013
Both my kids lost their first ones at the end of Kindergarten, so they were 6. Ds is 12 and still has 1 more to go. All of his friends have lost all of theirs.

I have a dck who has 2 gone, but they were knocked so many times that they were dead anyway. The last time she hit her mouth, it knocked them super loose that all she had to do was bump her cup on them and out they came Thankfully the knocking them loose was not on my watch, but unfortunately when they fell out it was.
SilverSabre25 11:36 AM 03-01-2013
I think 5 is early but not unreasonable. I think the average is something like 5-7. It's often tied to when they got their teeth in the first place, so an early teether will lose them earlier whereas those occasional kids that don't get their first tooth until near their first birthday will be later.

My DD is in kindergarten a year early and kids are losing teeth all over the place and she feels very left out. She doesn't even have any loose yet. She got her first one right around 7 months, which is pretty average, so I expect her first lost tooth will be around age 6.
canadiancare 11:38 AM 03-01-2013
Yes 5 is young but not strangely so. Usually it means the adult teeth have progressed to the point of loosening the babies. My daughter, however has the slowest growing teeth imaginable and, at nearly 16 she still has one canine only partially in.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 03-01-2013
My DS lost his first tooth at age 4. He got his first tooth at age 2 months.

My DD lost her first tooth at age 6. She got her first tooth at age 7.5 months.

A DCK here (turned 5 in Jan) just lost their first tooth.

DCK's mom says the dentist told her that kids who lose their teeth earlier than normal have a higher than normal level of emotional maturity....
Starburst 11:48 AM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Anyone know when kids are supposed to start losing their teeth?

I have a kiddo who is just 5, lost one, lost another last night and has several more loose right now?

Her age strikes me as pretty young to be dropping them like that but I'm not sure if that's just because my kids started losing theirs much later than usual (2nd and summer before 3rd grade respectively). I do remember kids losing them in 1st grade but never as early as age 5.
Every kid is different. I heard the average age to start losing baby teeth is between the ages of 4 - 7
craftymissbeth 11:51 AM 03-01-2013
When my ds was 4 his dentist told us to be prepared for him to start losing teeth within the next year or so. He's 6 now and in kindergarten... and about to lose tooth #2. He lost the first toward the beginning of the school year and he was 5, so it doesn't seem abnormal to me.
Starburst 11:54 AM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
Yes 5 is young but not strangely so. Usually it means the adult teeth have progressed to the point of loosening the babies. My daughter, however has the slowest growing teeth imaginable and, at nearly 16 she still has one canine only partially in.
I'm 21 and I have that too. I call it my 'retarded fang' because it looks alot higher up than the other fang. Ironically messed up (or 'snaggle') fangs are actually a fashion trend in Japan right now (the new 'bagel head') and the surgery to get it is cheaper than the surgery to undo it.
itlw8 11:54 AM 03-01-2013
just like infant get them at different ages so do they get permanent teeth . My kids were early 5 so were all my neices and nephews. Though I have a 2nd grader that seems to be losing hers about the same time my early 6 yr old dgd is.

As long as there head has grown enough to fit the new teeth in that is all you need for straight teeth.
itlw8 11:59 AM 03-01-2013
my sisters girls lost their first tooth at 4 1/2. at 4 AM it was really strange. So as sis was telling this story. her youngest walks in and had lost her first tooth... yep she was still 4 and it was 4 in the afternoon. REALLY strange. LOL
canadiancare 12:01 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I'm 21 and I have that too. I call it my 'retarded fang' because it looks alot higher up than the other fang. Ironically messed up (or 'snaggle') fangs are actually a fashion trend in Japan right now (the new 'bagel head') and the surgery to get it is cheaper than the surgery to undo it.
She goes to the ortho every 6 months to check the progress. She'll probably have it fixed this summer break.

That or I could ship her off to Japan
AmyLeigh 12:09 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DS lost his first tooth at age 4. He got his first tooth at age 2 months.
My kiddos lose theirs shortly before or after their 5th birthday. My ped told me "early in, early out." They got their first teeth by 4 months old.
youretooloud 12:23 PM 03-01-2013
six seems to be the most common age. But, I know kids as young as four start losing teeth (nothing wrong, they just matured faster) and kids as old as seven.

I think it's something from the Reggio school of thought, that says when a child begins to lose their teeth, they are ready to learn to read. I've always wondered if that was true. My kids lost teeth late, and didn't read well until 1st grade. Reading seemed to click for them between 6-7.
Country Kids 12:25 PM 03-01-2013
I had a dck that actually had lost 6 or 8 by the time they were turning 5! They are in 5th grade now and have lost all their teeth!!!

Also, a friend of the families baby was actually born with their first two teeth.
MsLaura529 02:02 PM 03-01-2013
I lost my first 2 teeth when I was 4 ... my DH didn't lose his first until 7 or 8 ...
melilley 02:08 PM 03-01-2013
My daughter was four when she lost her first tooth. I thought that that was really young, but her dentist said that it was normal.
Meyou 02:10 PM 03-01-2013
One of my dd's was 4 and the other 6.5 for their first lost tooth.
Tags:growing up, teeth, tooth fairy
Reply Up