Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Crying During Adjustment Period?
childcaremom 03:46 AM 03-31-2017
I just started a 10 mos old on Monday. He's never been in care before (normal in Canada).

What do you consider to be a normal amount of crying during an adjustment period? And have you sent home for excessive crying in infants before?

He will stop if I hold him. He will start again as soon as I place him down. I suspect lots of holding and attention giving at home.

First 2 days were ok. Few tears but nothing major. Wed afternoon was not good. Thursday (yesterday) was awful. Lots of crying/screaming, restless sleep and not drinking all of his bottles). I plan to send home today if it is a repeat of yesterday.

I haven't had a 10 mos old in a LONG time and wondering if my expectations are completely off base.

(as a side note: he has a 'cold' and my other idea is that it's getting worse in which case he should not be here, either)
childcaremom 03:57 AM 03-31-2017
And never mind. I turned away at door. Double ear infection. Yeah, that's not happening.
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
And never mind. I turned away at door. Double ear infection. Yeah, that's not happening.
Why would any parent thrust their child into a new and unfamiliar environment when they know the poor thing doesn't feel well?

Hoping he recovers swiftly and then when brought back, acclimates better and with alot more smiles than tears!
Ariana 06:00 AM 03-31-2017
And they brought him to you?? Ugh. Hopefully he gets back to normal soon.

I just had a parent text me telling me their child has an ear infection and "how does that work for daycare"? Ummmm it doesn't.
childcaremom 06:27 AM 03-31-2017
I am very clear that I am well care only. That they need to have back up care in case of illness. The kicker: the papa is back up care AND lives with them.

This was strike 2. Strike 1 was picking up late on their second day.

Clearly, we aren't a good fit. I'm terming.
JackandJill 06:28 AM 03-31-2017
Poor kid!

I send home after 2.5 hours of crying, regardless of how long they've been here.
Ariana 07:03 AM 03-31-2017
I am very clear that I am well care only. That they need to have back up care in case of illness. The kicker: the papa is back up care AND lives with them.

This was strike 2. Strike 1 was picking up late on their second day.

Clearly, we aren't a good fit. I'm terming.
I think parents just want what they paid for regardless of whether their kid is well enough to attend daycare. The above mentioned parent actually had the cahoonas to ask me if I would reduce my rate that day since one of her kids was not coming for sickness read your contract lady!
Tags:adjusting to care, adjustment period, crying - all day, crying - how long, ear infection
Reply Up