Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subscription Plans: Your Favorites and Ones You'd Love To Have
RSD 05:00 PM 05-14-2018
Hi, everyone!
Doing a little research on your business for our business.

First, let me tell you a little about our company (no links included ).

We started out as a lot of these gadget discovery stores, you see around. Now, we are looking to switch to something of more substance. Our company buys directly from manufacturers, and we don’t store merchandise. We ship straight from manufacturers to end customers. That allows us to price products at 30-60% off of what you’d see in Walmart or on Amazon. Provided it's in bulk of course. So, you can go wild with question number 4.

The main interest is subscription services for child care providers.

I’ve first asked about them in intro section of the forum, and Cat Herder pointed me towards a few popular subscription sites. What I got out of it is that it’s mostly curriculum based services. And, I’ve got a sense that these are mostly purchased for its systematic approach to curriculum and creatives (basically, intellectual property), while whatever supplies come with it are just a nice addition. That brings me to the following questions.

1) What subscription plans are you using?
2) If you are using one of these curriculum subscriptions, is that because your kids like these specific themes? Or would you switch to something a little more affordable if presented?
3) Typically, what’s your biggest monthly supply expense(s)?
4) This one I’m the most interested in. If you could create custom subscription plan that would include majority of your supplies (or anything else) cheaper than major retail stores, what would it look like? What kind of items? What kind of prices would sign you up instead of going to let’s say a walmart?

Here is a couple of examples of what kind of price drops we could offer, to may be give you some ideas.

10 sets of 36 colored pencils - $40/month. ($39.99 )
That’s $4/set compared to $7-8 from walmart or amazon

Or let’s say 10 cardboard models like ones below for around $40/month
That’s $4/piece compared to $8-15 from Walmart and Amazon

So, if there are any ideas of subscriptions you’d love to have, but no one else is doing- I’m really hoping to hear them.

Thank you!
Cat Herder 05:17 AM 05-15-2018

Funshine Fireflies, Prime Pantry Autoship and Betty Mills easy reorder.

2) If you are using one of these curriculum subscriptions, is that because your kids like these specific themes? Or would you switch to something a little more affordable if presented?

Funshines curriculum is aligned with my States early learning standards and guidelines and is the most affordable program that they approved to meet regulations. It is all-inclusive straight out of the box and offers Christian supplements my clients appreciate.

Amazon has been the most affordable auto-ship for hard to find supplies in a rural area. Betty Mills easy reorder is a close second.

3) Typically, what’s your biggest monthly supply expense(s)?

Cleaning supplies.

4) This one I’m the most interested in. If you could create custom subscription plan that would include majority of your supplies (or anything else) cheaper than major retail stores, what would it look like? What kind of items? What kind of prices would sign you up instead of going to let’s say a walmart?

For me reliability would be more important than price. I would gladly pay a couple dollars extra for on-time delivery and packaging that keeps my supplies from being destroyed in transit. This happens too often.

So, if there are any ideas of subscriptions you’d love to have, but no one else is doing- I’m really hoping to hear them.

Toddler STEM kits or Meal delivery kits designed to be made (mostly) by children. Each child would need their own for hygiene and learning purposes. Something fun, colorful that introduces new foods, regions, countries and cultures would be amazing.

The cardboard kits would not work with the age groups I care for.
RSD 11:20 AM 05-15-2018
This is awesome!
Thank you!
The STEM kits seem like something we could find fairly cheap.
RSD 04:34 PM 05-16-2018
Man... Not much life in this thread. But may be this will spark some attention.
Really liked Cat Herder's idea about STEM kits. Did a little research. Let me share some ideas, and please, tell me what you think about these.

I'll start with the coolest thing I found. Brief search didn't show anything like that in The US. So, no price comparison.

This is for the younger ones. Cool project for everyone to participate. If not building, then painting for sure. And new centerpiece every month.

My rough estimate is that these will cost around $60-80/month with 1 piece/ month. Not entirely sure about the price, though. It could end up cheaper in the $50-60 area. Still waiting on the info about the weight.

And This is something younger kids can build and paint.
This one would be $40-55/month with 10 pieces/order.

RSD 04:39 PM 05-16-2018
Man... Not much life in this thread. But may be this will spark some attention.
Really liked Cat Herder's idea about STEM kits. Did a little research. Let me share some ideas, and please, tell me what you think about these.

I'll start with the coolest thing I found. Brief search didn't show anything like that in The US. So, no price comparison.

This is for the younger ones. Cool project for everyone to participate. If not building, then painting for sure. And new centerpiece every month.

My rough estimate is that these will cost around $60-80/month with 1 piece/ month. Not entirely sure about the price, though. It could end up cheaper in the $50-60 area. Still waiting on the info about weight.

And This is something younger kids can build and paint.
This one would be $40-55/month with 10 pieces/order.

RSD 04:44 PM 05-16-2018
This is more of a basic options.
Estimating at $50-60/month with 10 pieces/order. That's $5-6/ piece compared to amazon's and walmart's $10-25/piece.

Some examples of what to expect

Doodling robot. This thing would paint the most ridiculous things ever, but probably a lot of fun to play with, for a little while.

RSD 04:56 PM 05-16-2018
This is on a more of intermediate level
Estimating at $50-70/month. Same 10 pieces/order. That's $5-7/piece compared to... haven't found any that would be as diy as this one. There is a bunch of cool looking ones, but they are plain blocks to put together. Not to teach principles of physics. Though, if these block ones are more interesting.

Type of things to expect

Walking robot

Salt water powered vehicle kit

Just a battery powered plane. Doesn't fly.

RSD 04:58 PM 05-16-2018
And ones closer to advanced side of it.

$70-90/month. Still the same 10 pieces/order.

This thing is radio controlled (bottles are not included )

And this one will swim half way submerged.

RSD 04:59 PM 05-16-2018
Still looking at very basic ones, and very advanced one. Let me know what you think about these ideas and pricing.

Thank you!
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 05-17-2018
These are interesting and look kind of fun but I have preschool and younger kids and I wouldn't personally buy something like that for them.

First is the issue of space. Who has room for something that big? lol! I know I don't and I have a completely separate house used just for child care.

Second is cost. $50-70+ per month.... is that PER CHILD or for a group? Either way. $50-70+ a month is a lot for in-home child care providers. (that's why we are so skilled in Pinerest use...it's free )

Many providers teach academics and STEM is a very important part of education these last few years....even our grants were tied to STEM as a priority but to be completely honest, it's easy to meet that requirement using products and materials found around the classroom.

I think a subscription service is convenient and stress free but I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money every month when I can barely get families/clients willing to pay weekly daycare costs AND meed basic requirements.

I used to get a monthly curriculum for I think about $30 a month that provided most the basic supplies to meet all the developmental areas of learning for 6-8 kids and I cancelled that after a bit as the cost was more than I wanted to invest. I was just saving time buying it pre-packaged. I teach the same thing now just for a lot less and sometimes free.

I hate to rain on the parade but that's my 2 cents as far as subscription services.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 05-17-2018

None at this time. I've previously signed up for curriculum kits from various suppliers but wasn't ever really happy with them. I've purchased through Mother Goose Time and through Funshine Express

Personally I didn't think the kits from MGT or FSE were worth it because I still had to do alot of prepping and gathering of supplies. I also thought the age groups they designated each kit for wasn't always appropriate and I found myself having to do a lot of the art work FOR the kids verse WITH them. I also don't think cookie cutter crafts are developmentally appropriate although an awesome supplement if needed.

I also didn't like the pre-determined themes. Not all my kids want to learn about apples in Sept. Sometimes we'd rather learn about barns and cows. But the kit subscription services don't offer alternate or multiple options to choose from. Their themes are predetermined for the entire year.

3)Typically, what’s your biggest monthly supply expense(s)?

Paper products!!

Wet wipes, paper towels, plates/cups, construction paper, printer paper, other paper supplies used for crafts.

I'm constantly searching for, saving (well hoarding really) small containers, trays and cups. ALL things used to sort, separate items, hold paint, glue, etc.....

I would like a custom subscription plan kind of like how Schwann's does it... I don't know if you have that in your area but basically they sell food, ice cream and other frozen and refrigerated products. They leave you a catalog (1,000's of items) and every month you choose which items you want from their catalog and then they show up with their big truck at your door and drop off the items you ordered. Sometimes if you forget or suddenly decide you want something else you just let them know when they come and they go right out to the truck and get it.

I would love something like that. I could pick and choose which items I want each month. Some months I might be looking for disposable paint trays and masking tape while the next month I might need white and blue lunch bags and a dozen plastic jars for bug collecting.

That is just me rambling on while thinking out loud but again, that is my 2 cents. Hope it's helpful
Pestle 06:30 AM 05-17-2018
I use Amazon Subscribe and Save for Honest Company diapers. I have a small program, so everything else I buy when I need it.

My program is geared toward toddlers and focuses on building motor skills, so most of the materials are non consumable. When we do art, we tend to mix paints, use color paddles to discuss color mixing, and read children's art picture books together.

I might be interested in materials for building prewriting and scissors skills, but would a subscription service be able to provide materials at a cheaper cost than just using my home printer/copiers?
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 05-17-2018
"Estimating at $50-60/month with 10 pieces/order."

10 complete projects, for 10 kids, per month?

Could there be other quantity options? My ratio is 1/6 but I rarely have more than 3 kids for whom those would be age-appropriate (the rest are 2 and under). Obviously, shipping costs would have to be considered and those with smaller groups expect that they will pay more per kit than those ordering higher quantities.

Larger centers would probably have groups of 20-30. Marketing directly to other monthly curriculum suppliers may even be a more profitable venture.
LittleScholars 07:11 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I use Amazon Subscribe and Save for Honest Company diapers. I have a small program, so everything else I buy when I need it.

My program is geared toward toddlers and focuses on building motor skills, so most of the materials are non consumable. When we do art, we tend to mix paints, use color paddles to discuss color mixing, and read children's art picture books together.

I might be interested in materials for building prewriting and scissors skills, but would a subscription service be able to provide materials at a cheaper cost than just using my home printer/copiers?
I'd also be most interested in consumables for writing/fine motor skills if the price was right. I agree with Black cat that subscription curriculum programs were really helpful when I was getting started, but I quickly found they didn't really fit our needs and were too cookie cutter.

I like the things you posted, but I couldn't justify the cost. To put it in perspective, I'm priced higher than many other programs in my area and to purchase one large building item I would have to provide care for a child for TWO DAYS in order to afford it. Amazon boxes are free, so I just don't see that happening. Similarly, I couldn't justify the cost of smaller items each month.

I could see value in creating a netflix-type renting service in which providers could check out materials for themes/units. For example, if our theme was the farm, I might be interested in renting a themed box of non-consumable items. I don't really have the interest in building or storing these collections myself, but I think they are important and something missing from my program. I think a company with a similar structure exists, but it is geared toward parents renting toys.

The catch for me would be that these would have to be cost effective. If it would be cheaper for me to hike over to the dollar store and collect items that I could keep year-to-year, it simply wouldn't be worth it.
daycarediva 10:27 AM 05-17-2018
My only subscription boxes are for my dogs (bullymake) and diapers (I supply)

For DC- I am child led, play based. This wouldn't work for me as it would have to be ordered based on their current interests and DA for my age group. I have done mother goose time when I first started out, and it was too cookie cutter. Not enough creativity, too much me doing crafts to send home.

I find it easy enough to align/create my own curriculum that aligns with our state's prek common core, stem included.
RSD 11:06 AM 05-17-2018
Alright! Everyone, thanks for your replies!
Let's get to it.

First of all, it may seem like i'm getting defensive, or trying to give advice in my own interest, though coming from somebody who knows nothing about what you do. I want to assure you- that's not the case. Simply trying to understand how everything works to offer best possible product.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
These are interesting and look kind of fun but I have preschool and younger kids and I wouldn't personally buy something like that for them.
Do you mean the carton models or electric kits? In any case, I'll be looking into more basic ones today, and will post the results here. Though, as a 5-6 year old, I loved to take apart my electric toys. Putting them back together was the problem . But I can see how it could be a liability issue.

First is the issue of space. Who has room for something that big? lol! I know I don't and I have a completely separate house used just for child care.
If you are talking about kits- i guess that's something kids could take home with them.
Second is cost. $50-70+ per month.... is that PER CHILD or for a group?
That's per 10 items.
Either way. $50-70+ a month is a lot for in-home child care providers. (that's why we are so skilled in Pinerest use...it's free )

Many providers teach academics and STEM is a very important part of education these last few years....even our grants were tied to STEM as a priority but to be completely honest, it's easy to meet that requirement using products and materials found around the classroom.
Got it. May be parents could throw extra $5/month for a new toy every month, that kid would be proud to show around- "I made that". IMO not that much (price of a coffee cup), but kids would probably love it.

I used to get a monthly curriculum for I think about $30 a month that provided most the basic supplies to meet all the developmental areas of learning for 6-8 kids and I cancelled that after a bit as the cost was more than I wanted to invest. I was just saving time buying it pre-packaged. I teach the same thing now just for a lot less and sometimes free.
Could you please share- what prepackaged items are you buying? How much are they costing you. May be we come up with something cheaper.
I hate to rain on the parade but that's my 2 cents as far as subscription services.
No problem at all. I'd rather have somebody rain on certain parts of our parade here, than spend thousands on advertisement with no result
Thank you!

Paper products!!

Wet wipes, paper towels, plates/cups, construction paper, printer paper, other paper supplies used for crafts.

I'm constantly searching for, saving (well hoarding really) small containers, trays and cups. ALL things used to sort, separate items, hold paint, glue, etc.....
Could you please tell me, approximately what size containers, trays, and cups are working best? Are you spending much on glue and paint?

I would like a custom subscription plan kind of like how Schwann's does it... I don't know if you have that in your area but basically they sell food, ice cream and other frozen and refrigerated products. They leave you a catalog (1,000's of items) and every month you choose which items you want from their catalog and then they show up with their big truck at your door and drop off the items you ordered. Sometimes if you forget or suddenly decide you want something else you just let them know when they come and they go right out to the truck and get it.

I would love something like that. I could pick and choose which items I want each month. Some months I might be looking for disposable paint trays and masking tape while the next month I might need white and blue lunch bags and a dozen plastic jars for bug collecting.

That is just me rambling on while thinking out loud but again, that is my 2 cents. Hope it's helpful
That part makes perfect sense. I think that's something we could do. Gonna need to add extra functionality to the site, but if there is interest in something like that- we can def. come up with something. The biggest question is- what kind of items are people in your business looking for?

Originally Posted by :
disposable paint trays and masking tape while the next month I might need white and blue lunch bags and a dozen plastic jars for bug collecting.
That's 4. We need a few hundred more to go
RSD 11:15 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:

Can't compete with home printer/copiers, but may be we could find better diapers.
And now that I think about it, may be we can come up with some really great lessons for like a dollar or two/month to be printed out on your home printer. Need to look into these.
Thanks for your input!
RSD 11:24 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Estimating at $50-60/month with 10 pieces/order."

10 complete projects, for 10 kids, per month?
Yes

Could there be other quantity options? My ratio is 1/6 but I rarely have more than 3 kids for whom those would be age-appropriate (the rest are 2 and under).
Good point. I'm sure we can create variations of let's say 6 kits for 3-4 Y.O.'s and 4 kits for 5-6 Y.O.'s. Obviously with options from 1-9 kits / age group / order. Or we can put 2 kinds of kits with 5 pieces of each in the order for smaller groups of the same age.

Obviously, shipping costs would have to be considered and those with smaller groups expect that they will pay more per kit than those ordering higher quantities.

Larger centers would probably have groups of 20-30. Marketing directly to other monthly curriculum suppliers may even be a more profitable venture.
Yes. Shipping is our biggest headache when it comes to pricing. They are charging per 0.5kg (just above a pound). And obviously, the more items we can fit into weight bracket the cheaper items are becoming. And yes. Those who'd be ordering in bulk- will be getting cheaper prices, since shipping becomes cheaper withe very half a kilo.
RSD 11:41 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
I'd also be most interested in consumables for writing/fine motor skills if the price was right. I agree with Black cat that subscription curriculum programs were really helpful when I was getting started, but I quickly found they didn't really fit our needs and were too cookie cutter.
Could you please elaborate on this? A couple of examples would really help. As well as a little more info on what would be a cookie cutter product against higher quality one.

I like the things you posted, but I couldn't justify the cost. To put it in perspective, I'm priced higher than many other programs in my area and to purchase one large building item I would have to provide care for a child for TWO DAYS in order to afford it. Amazon boxes are free, so I just don't see that happening. Similarly, I couldn't justify the cost of smaller items each month.
What kind of pricing would get you interested in these products, though? And that's a question for everyone, I guess.

I could see value in creating a netflix-type renting service in which providers could check out materials for themes/units. For example, if our theme was the farm, I might be interested in renting a themed box of non-consumable items. I don't really have the interest in building or storing these collections myself, but I think they are important and something missing from my program. I think a company with a similar structure exists, but it is geared toward parents renting toys.

The catch for me would be that these would have to be cost effective. If it would be cheaper for me to hike over to the dollar store and collect items that I could keep year-to-year, it simply wouldn't be worth it.
Good idea, but not really for us. We know how to buy cheap overseas and efficiently ship it to your door. Renting things is a whole nother game. Thanks for the input, though.
RSD 11:55 AM 05-17-2018
In addition to the above posted questions, I've got a couple of more. And I hope you bare with me.

1) What age groups would you put kids in, when it comes to activities?

2) I just can't give up on the idea of these carton buildings, vehicles, and all the other cool stuff you could make out of it. I mean- how awesome is that?

Would anyone be interested in a DIY subscription, where we'd design the thing, and you'd get monthly access to printable templates? Kids would cut the paper printed template, outline pieces of moving box, cut, and glue together?
If interested, what would be reasonable monthly charge?
How easy is it to obtain these boxes?

Thanks again to everyone participating!
RSD 01:21 PM 05-17-2018
Alirght, like I've promised, some DIY toys for the younger ones.

I think we can do $30-40/month (depending on quantity) for 10 pieces/order with these.

All in 1 ball

And these could very well become collectables

And obviously, there's more where that came from. These are ideas.
RSD 06:46 PM 05-17-2018
Hm. These last ones go for $10-13/ toy on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/30-Piece-Tric...L9/ref=sr_1_20
https://www.amazon.com/Take-Apart-To...FR/ref=sr_1_19
Tags:product feedback, survey
Reply Up