Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Random: How to Keep Posters on Wall?
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:53 PM 07-04-2010
I know this is really random, but how does everyone else have posters and other things hanging on the wall without a little one (mostly toddlers) coming along and ripping them off? I can tape and re-tape, but the second I turn my back, one of the little ones has pulled another poster off. I tell them "no" firmly when I catch them tying to do it, and all that. But they still do it! I have to tape posters over their heads where they can't reach. It's the only way to keep them from pulling them off. But usually one of them pulls a chair over and, while standing on it, pulls a poster off. I know they need to be eye level...but at eye level there wouldn't be any left on the wall! My preschool area cannot be seperate from the little ones, so the circle time calendar, weather chart, numbers poster, etc have to be up high.
Vesta 08:17 PM 07-04-2010
You can have the posters laminated so they don't rip and are harder to pull down off the wall or use clear contact paper to cover and tape the poster all at once. You could also use clear packing tape to go all around the edges so they don't have a place to put their little fingers in order to start ripping it down.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:43 PM 07-04-2010
I have the same issue. My calandar is at toddler reach and I use the velcrow on the back of the numbers and they are always getting pulled off or mixed around. Some of my preschool wall decore gets ripped down. Sorry I don't have any ideas, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one. I like the idea of laminating..I'll have to do that.
QualiTcare 10:09 PM 07-04-2010
contact paper is the best thing EVER!! since it's clear, they can't seem to find where the contact paper stops/wall begins - i LOVE contact paper!! you can get a huge roll at wal mart for about 5 bucks. stick the poster on the wall - and cover the whole poster with contact paper. when you want to take it down...the contact paper will come off without ripping the poster.
DBug 07:21 AM 07-05-2010
What about the paint though? Does the contact paper pull up the paint at all?
QualiTcare 01:35 PM 07-05-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
What about the paint though? Does the contact paper pull up the paint at all?
nope, not at all. it's good for labeling too. you can type/print out words "drawer" "table" or whatever and cover the paper with contact paper - stick it to the surface - it's SIMPLE. i love it.
Lianne 07:49 PM 07-05-2010
I keep my wall decor just above a toddler's head level. The lowest part of my decor sits at the height of my 3.5yr old's forehead. By 2.5yrs old, I expect to be able to trust the child not to pull/pick at the items on the wall. I also keep things against the wall as much as possible, too.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:53 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I keep my wall decor just above a toddler's head level. The lowest part of my decor sits at the height of my 3.5yr old's forehead. By 2.5yrs old, I expect to be able to trust the child not to pull/pick at the items on the wall. I also keep things against the wall as much as possible, too.
Haha, I keep things awayfrom the wall as much as possible because that's usually how they get to the posters hanging over their heads (climbing on the chair, table, etc).
by the way, some of the children who pull things off the wall are as old as 4 and even one school ager does it just to rearrange things, no matter how many times they are told not to. Waaaaay too old to be doing that.

Most of my posters are laminated already so they won't rip. It's just a pain to constantly be tapping and re-tapping, telling them no, playing hide and seek to find that missing poster, etc. Sometimes it seems like they go around looking for the next poster to pull down!
Where is the cheapest place to find contact paper? It's so expensive and I'd have to use a lot of it... I'm the daycare assistant and preschool teacher so I'm just paid hourly. A lot of my income already goes back into the preschool portion (I'm horrible. I can't go into a store without finding something that I NEED for preschool. And then I don't ask to be re-imbursed because it's not something I was told to purchase, or even anything I mentioned to the owner before getting. But it really is stuff we need
Thanks for that suggestion! I'll have to try it!
AmandasFCC 06:11 PM 07-06-2010
I just use sticky tack lol ... when it gets ripped down I say no and I quite honestly very rarely turn my back long enough for things to get ripped down without me seeing it coming. I had a problem with my own dd (at the time 15-18 months) ripping down some number stickers I have on the walls but she got over it too. Just need to teach them no.
MarinaVanessa 06:14 PM 07-06-2010
You could try double sided sticky tape if the posters aren't supposed to be removed. Make sure the posters are all laminated first though. Use this only if you are sure you aren't going to rearrange them. You can remove double sided tape but it can leave a sticky residue (which can be removed with nail polish remover but can be a hassle).
Janet 03:48 AM 07-07-2010
I would highly recommend not using gluedots to put up posters. If you ever have a need to move the poster or whatever it is that you've hung up, gluedots take part of the wall/ceiling with them! Wanna know how I know??? Because I did it
Crystal 06:28 AM 07-07-2010
I Laminate. Then I staple them up. Then I cover the entire perimeter of the poster and over the staples with clear packing tape. It's not easy to pull them down this way. You can get a big roll of clear packing tape at the dollar store.
Daycare Mommy 06:41 AM 07-07-2010
Yellow sticky tac that is sold in rectangle sections from walmart. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact brand name, but that stuff peeled the paint off my wall all over the place and left yellow traces and discoloration anywhere else.

What I use...
Now I found another brand called UHU Tac that works great and I haven't had any issues with it at all. Holds better and no peeling paint or discoloration and it sticks to itself so it comes off clean if you dab at it with another piece.
QualiTcare 03:09 PM 07-07-2010
you can get a huge roll of contact paper at wal mart for 5 dollars and it'll last a pretty long time. it's well worth it. i use it all the time. i made a collage on the wall using pictures/words cut from magazines and i made a collage on a table the same way - they're so cute!
momofsix 06:41 PM 07-08-2010
I love contact paper and have used it for lots of things, but never for hanging stuff--I love this idea and am so excited to try it!
Tags:adhesive, contact paper, hanging posters
Reply Up