Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Supply Fee For Rain Gear?
Pestle 12:08 PM 04-23-2018
Anybody else provide boots and rain coats/ponchos?

If so, did you buy a bunch of sizes at once, or just add as you went?

What supply fee do you charge?

Did families balk or were they understanding when you started doing this?

I ask because it's hot and torrential for several months where I live, and I want to move more of my program outside. I decided this winter that I wouldn't be held hostage to parents who forget weather-appropriate clothing. Winter gear is easy because I have so many bins of outgrown clothing in my attic; I have two cubbies full of clothing that I don't mind sharing. I also picked up a bunch of 60 cent bucket hats at Goodwill last week ("Oh, a sun hat? Ha; she'll never keep it on!") because I'll die on the hill of "You will pay me on time and you will pick up on time," but I'm just over the battle of the clothing. (I increased my rates and started providing my own diapers last year for the same reason.)
Pestle 06:38 AM 04-24-2018
Okay, the question was too specific. Who provides clothing in their program?

Who's got a supply fee for things other than art materials?
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 04-24-2018
NannyDe is the only provider I know that supplies outdoor clothing. Like FULL outdoor clothing.

I don't charge parents for anything other than services but I have considered supplying certain items over the years and having a fee for them but I haven't. Don't know why...just haven't.

I think a better option might be to simply require certain supplies upon enrollment. Kind of like how when your kids go to school each year the teacher sends a list of required supplies...2 blue pens, a pack of pencils, 4 notebooks with lines etc...

Just require rain gear. You could even go so far as to say THIS or THIS are the only rain suits allowed.

If parent's don't bring/buy the required clothing, then maybe consider purchasing it for that child and adding the cost to the parent's invoice.

I don't know... just thinking out loud.
Pestle 07:28 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
NannyDe is the only provider I know that supplies outdoor clothing. Like FULL outdoor clothing.

I don't charge parents for anything other than services but I have considered supplying certain items over the years and having a fee for them but I haven't. Don't know why...just haven't.

I think a better option might be to simply require certain supplies upon enrollment. Kind of like how when your kids go to school each year the teacher sends a list of required supplies...2 blue pens, a pack of pencils, 4 notebooks with lines etc...

Just require rain gear. You could even go so far as to say THIS or THIS are the only rain suits allowed.

If parent's don't bring/buy the required clothing, then maybe consider purchasing it for that child and adding the cost to the parent's invoice.

I don't know... just thinking out loud.
What you're suggesting makes sense. I'm worried about fighting the parents over outgrown rain boots in addition to fighting them about outgrown shoes, and having parents try to bring the clothing home at the end of each day because they don't want to pay for a new set that stays here all the time. Have you had success keeping rain gear at your home, in the right sizes?

"I don't know why you can't get her shoes onto her; they fit fine!" *parent picks child up and beats shoe onto sobbing child's crumpled foot*
storybookending 08:00 AM 04-24-2018
I live in WI. I don’t worry about rain gear so much as the snow gear. I do not supply and I require the gear be here daily Nov-April. No one has had an issue just leaving everything here. But I do have a few where boots were worn back and forth daily instead of keeping them here. Sometimes on the weekends they’ll take it home but it must be brought back or they will not be accepted into care.

I also don’t work with the types of parents that don’t have appropriate sized clothing/footwear for their children. If anything all of my currently enrolled children have more shoes/boots/clothes than they can ever hope to get goodbuse out of.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
What you're suggesting makes sense. I'm worried about fighting the parents over outgrown rain boots in addition to fighting them about outgrown shoes, and having parents try to bring the clothing home at the end of each day because they don't want to pay for a new set that stays here all the time. Have you had success keeping rain gear at your home, in the right sizes?

"I don't know why you can't get her shoes onto her; they fit fine!" *parent picks child up and beats shoe onto sobbing child's crumpled foot*
I don't really have issues but then again I'm pretty blunt and authoritative with my DCP's as most of them are the same age or younger than my own children.

In past years I probably had some stress trying to get parents to bring supplies but I don't remember much about how or if I addressed it at all... I just know that somewhere along the lines my clientele have become a bit better at following the rules/policies I have. Whether it's the age of the parents over all or me...I honestly can't say.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:46 AM 04-24-2018
I have a small group, but I keep extras of outdoor gear for each kid. I call them "the loaners". Snapping a picture and sending to both dcm and dcd of how cute little Billy looks in his pink boots and purple jacket is the quickest I've found to get things sent.

But I honestly don't mind storing and using the loaners as needed, it's just easier for me to know it's here if we need it last minute. Heck, I even have an infant now that I picked up a pair of shoes for and use my own fleece bunting because it was easier to get on and off than the one dcm sent.

Most of the loaners are things my kids out grew, or I picked up at a yard sale or thrift store. I only worry about sizes and function, not colors/fashion.

If you're going to really invest in having your own set of things (or require parents to purchase something specific) I would suggest the Tuffo Muddy Buddy suits (about $30 a pop). I have them for my own kids and love them. Plus because they fit baggy the sizes can be a little flexible.
Pestle 11:01 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I would suggest the Tuffo Muddy Buddy suits (about $30 a pop). I have them for my own kids and love them. Plus because they fit baggy the sizes can be a little flexible.
What a cool product! That would work great in the winter. It's usually in the mid-90s here from late spring through early fall, so they'd get overheated.
KSDC 11:21 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I live in WI. I don’t worry about rain gear so much as the snow gear. I do not supply and I require the gear be here daily Nov-April. No one has had an issue just leaving everything here. But I do have a few where boots were worn back and forth daily instead of keeping them here. Sometimes on the weekends they’ll take it home but it must be brought back or they will not be accepted into care.

I also don’t work with the types of parents that don’t have appropriate sized clothing/footwear for their children. If anything all of my currently enrolled children have more shoes/boots/clothes than they can ever hope to get goodbuse out of.

This is me, too! I refuse to be the parent. I provide a loving and safe place for my munchkins to be during the day. But, I won't take on tasks that are the parents job. And, providing appropriate clothing is one of those. If "Billy" doesn't have snow clothes at drop off, then I don't allow him to be dropped off. Mom or Dad goes home and gets the stuff that they forgot.
LittleExplorers 11:49 AM 04-24-2018
I provide and do not charge a fee. If I charged to buy them, I would feel like it was theirs to keep. They do have to provide rain boots. Some parents donate them to me as they are outgrown and I use these if they are the appropriate size. As with all other supplies, they bring what is required or the go home. We got outside a lot and it is a huge part of my daycare. Parents are all told this from the get go. I will not make the group stay in because one parent was unprepared.
Tags:rain gear, supply fee
Reply Up