Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advertising for Babies When You Have None
SilverSabre25 12:48 PM 06-16-2014
I want babies, lol. But I don't have any right now so my set-up is all geared at the bigs.

Would it likely be helpful to set up my space with the baby gear for interviews and stuff? Or does it not really matter to parents? I don't really *want* to be tripping over that stuff when it isn't necessary... But I badly need more kids soooo....I dunno. I'm torn I guess.
MarinaVanessa 12:52 PM 06-16-2014
I only have stuff out for my current group so when I don't have infants but I'm interviewing I just explain what the setup will be once I do have them. I explain where they'll sleep, eat, the toys etc. Never really seemed to bother or matter to parents.
Heidi 12:56 PM 06-16-2014
Personally, I think people with babies are looking way more at how you are than how much stuff you have. You could always go with the "less is more" approach as part of your philosophy, too.

Babies need lots of free movement time; so maybe just touch on how you will provide that safely. You don't really need a lot of equipment, then. But, you can provide a mirror, some toys that are baby's only (that are kept separate and washed more often).

Also, they may want to know where baby will nap, but you can set up a pnp just for the interview, all cozy with whatever you regs allow (sleep sack, swaddle sack, blanket?) and then take it back down.

Usually, infant care, especially newborn care, is at such a premium; don't forget to charge more! I had someone do an unofficial rate survey for me (a friend here). That helped a lot to know I was actually under-charging. I raised my rates to reflect that.
LysesKids 01:03 PM 06-16-2014
I'm set up for nothing but babies and still can't get my spots full lol. And yes, parents need to see that you have the right stuff to care for the littlest munchkins… really all you need is one Pack n play (preferably with a bassinet option), bouncer chair, a changing area, some swadding blankets and a few baby toys (don't go overboard and buy jumparoos and all the fad stuff right off)… if you are license exempt you can play around a little more with gear than if you have to follow rules to a T. Depending on the set up, a gate might be needed too

My parents picked me because I don't have swings and all the extra's that everyone assumes you need. I let babies crawl freely thru the areas that are open for childcare… no keeping them penned up here. They love the indestructable books I have too ( seriously… they are fantastic)
TwinKristi 02:52 PM 06-16-2014
Like MV I just keep out what I need for my current group but explain that I have a PNP, bouncer, swing, carrier, soft toys, baby gym, high chair, gates, etc. for babies but they're just not out now.

Advertising that you like to keep your infant group small may be a benefit. Some parents (mainly needy first timers) don't really understand how you can manage their baby PLUS other babies. In CA we can only have 2-3 under 2 and I try to keep the baby babies as a minimum anyway because they require so much time and attention. As much as i would love 4 infants only, I had a drop in 7 month old today and that was a quick reminder as to why I only wanted 1! LOL I had an interview for a FT 9 month old and 12 month old who's not waking. The idea of 2 immobile babies is starting to worry me. LOL Some parents want their infant only with other infants to avoid rough-housing or a bigger baby hurting their's and some like the idea or a mixed age group to advance their learning.
Reply Up