Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do parents want? Advertising
Leigh 07:47 PM 09-26-2014
I read this question: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73884 and thought that maybe we could all collaborate and come up with a top 10 list of what parents want. Advertising has to be about the audience, not the advertiser, but it's hard to know how to market yourself when you don't know exactly what your clients are after. An ad must tell a potential client that you have what they want...they're not interested in what we offer, but what we can offer to fill their want/need.

Different providers will have different answers, but maybe we could find some common themes? List what clients TELL you about why they chose you, not why you THINK they chose you.

I can say that my parents definitely put safety first. After that, they like that I am registered (the inspections is what they care about), that I participate in the food program (I often hear at interviews that their current provider is not providing nutritious meals), and the MANY hours of training that I have. Also, I have had more parents sign on because of my illness policy than I have had pass on me because they didn't like it. Price (I'm higher than many in my area) rarely is a concern, though parents often THINK it is.

What do your clients say influenced their decision to sign on or to stay with you?
Thriftylady 07:50 PM 09-26-2014
I agree with you it is about what the parents (customers) want. I think we will agree on a lot of those things. My next question perhaps we can answer in this thread is how do we sell that well.
Leigh 08:18 PM 09-26-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with you it is about what the parents (customers) want. I think we will agree on a lot of those things. My next question perhaps we can answer in this thread is how do we sell that well.
Here's an example of how you could start to develop your own ad (it didn't copy and paste so well, so imagine that it looks good!):

Leigh's childcare now accepting applications for TWO upcoming openings available for children aged 0-4. Leigh's offers a small, nuturing, individualized family-style environment for infant to preschool children.

WHY SHOULD YOU CONTACT LEIGH'S FOR AN INTERVIEW TODAY?

HEALTH & SAFETY

Large, secure, fenced-in playyard with age appropriate activies for all
State registered and inspected to ensure a safe and sanitary environment
CPR/FIRST AID certified
Low adult to child ratio in child-safe building to provide the best possible supervision
Clean, illness-free zone-your child won't be exposed to everything that is "going around"

NUTRITION

Serving 2 snacks and 2 child-friendly meals per day that are planned and prepared in a sanitary environment with USDA food standards in mind. Participant in CACFP food program with quarterly food service inspections in my kitchen.

ALL INCLUSIVE

Leigh's provides ALL foods and beverages, including infant formula and foods, snacks, and specialty diets (catering to allergies and medical needs)
All supplies are provided by Leigh's, including diapers, wipes, creams, etc.

EXPERIENCED AND KNOWLEDGABLE

Leigh's offers XX years of experience with infant to preschool aged children
Extensive study in child development, along with experience in dealing with children of all abilities from many different backgrounds
Child therapist on retainer to help with developmental or social issues that may arise, and to help make the most of your child's time with us.

EDUCATIONAL

Your child will spend his or her days immersed in a culture of play and learning
No worksheets here-kids are encouraged to develop their problem solving abilities by using their natural curiousity to learn critical skills.
Kids receive daily, one-on-one play-based instruction to work on preschool skills
Thriftylady 08:22 PM 09-26-2014
Wow, I love yours!
Leigh 08:28 PM 09-26-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wow, I love yours!
Thank you! I just wrote it, though-I have never used it! I just wanted to give you an example of what you might do. You can't advertise until you know what your client wants...talking about yourself is, well, just talking about yourself. The client only wants to know about what you can do for them (selfish, huh?!). These are all things that I feel appeal to parents-you could customize this to the kind of client you seem to attract, or to the kind you WANT to attract.

Good luck!
Play Care 03:17 AM 09-29-2014
The only thing is saying it's an illness "free" zone. I can see parents signing on and getting upset the first time you have to exclude because of illness.
"But you said Junior wouldn't get sick!!"
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 09-29-2014
I think what parents want is so unique to each area.

In my community parents don't seek out brick and mortar preschools like they do in say Daycare's area. Parents here look for different things depending on their family's needs.

Some want their child to attend group care so they can get more socialization with peers, others simply want a reliable caregiver so they can go to work everyday without worrying about who will take care of their child, others want learning embedded into play and daily experiences, some want a program that spends a lot of time outdoors while others want someone willing to provide all of that PLUS good healthy meals and snacks and no TV or electronics during the day.

ALL of those needs above are needs stressed by different families in my care.

ALL of their needs are different but I offer all of those things so I am the right fit for all of them even though they all want different things.

So in my experience, it isn't about advertising so much as it is talking with each individual family and seeing if I can meet their needs or if I offer the things in which they are seeking.

If I advertised as a no TV/electronics daycare program as a highlight of who I am or what my program offers, I think some of the parents I have would possibly have passed me by or not even noticed as that particular thing has no interest or draw to them..kwim?

So instead I just make sure the interview is VERY thorough and I ask the parents to be clear about exactly what it is they are searching for.

Once I know their motives, I can tell pretty easily if I am the right fit for them and vice versa.

For me personally the key isn't how I advertise or what I highlight as my program offerings.
For me, the interview IS the key.
Leigh 06:45 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The only thing is saying it's an illness "free" zone. I can see parents signing on and getting upset the first time you have to exclude because of illness.
"But you said Junior wouldn't get sick!!"
You're right. I never used this ad-I just wrote it to help with an outline for Thriftylady to use for her program. "Illness-free zone" doesn't sound right-but I would include something about my sick policy because my parents appreciate that policy, and like knowing that their kids aren't going to be playing with sick kids all day.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You're right. I never used this ad-I just wrote it to help with an outline for Thriftylady to use for her program. "Illness-free zone" doesn't sound right-but I would include something about my sick policy because my parents appreciate that policy, and like knowing that their kids aren't going to be playing with sick kids all day.
The common phrase around here is "well child care" with an explanation following that says "ABC daycare only accepts children who are healthy and do not have symptoms as defined by the CDC that would exclude them from child care or school"
daycarediva 10:36 AM 09-29-2014
1. hours
2. cost
3. program/curriculum
4. food- healthy/organic are big here
5. Supplies provided--diapers/wipes
6. classroom/not home like environment, child sized furniture, etc
7. schedule/routine
8. reading/books available
9. ages- some want all/basic care, others want only older prek or younger/under 3.
10. field trips- this is a make or break for a lot of parents. Some want them, some don't want any transportation provided
melilley 11:05 AM 09-29-2014
Darn it! I just took down my ad that I had out, I could have posted it. I have had the same ad since I've opened, almost 2 years ago and it seemed to have had a positive impact on parents, as I have gotten many calls from it. I have only had it out three times, once when I opened, once when I lost a child to preschool, and just recently when I lost another to preschool and another to p/t. Other than that, word of mouth.

I believe parents look for someone who offers:

A safe environment

Compatible hours

Nutritious meals

Some type of curriculum. I implement play-based, thematic curriculum and parents around here seem to love that. I tell them that I don't offer "formal" preschool, but do introduce concepts. But, I primarily have infants and toddlers (2.5 and under). Some do want that "formal" preschool, but most kids here go to "formal" preschool and not a home dc.

This may be weird, but I have had a few parents who were interested in me because I have a dog. One dcm said one of the deciding factors for her enrolling her son with me was that I did have a dog. They don't have one, but wanted him to be around them. Another parent said that dcd would love that we have a dog, as he wants dcg to grow up around them. They don't have a dog either. I guess they want them to be around them, but not have the responsibility of owning one.?

Outdoor space

Lower ratios

I agree with bc, it really does depend on where you live. Here, for in-homes, usually when a child turns 3, they leave the home daycare environment and go to a preschool in the school system. I rarely get any calls for children who are older than 3 years old so parents really seem to like the play based environment. That's why I do thematic curriculum, I satisfy QRIS requirements while being able to maintain a play based environment. I do do a circle time and introduce colors, numbers, shapes, etc..., but the children have a choice on whether to participate, but in other areas, I see that parents want a preschool environment with structured learning time.
Reply Up