Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty - For US
newtoeverything 08:01 AM 03-12-2010
Ok...what does everyone else do? When I have to go to the potty (you can tell I work with kids...ha), I leave the door open - Just in Case. Then all of them, even the ones that crawl, come in there with me. It's like a big potty party...haha..

Just wondering..
mac60 08:03 AM 03-12-2010
I have never in 10 years left the door open for the kids to join me, I just think that is wrong. I don't know, just would not feel comfortable doing that.
newtoeverything 08:12 AM 03-12-2010
I think I am just super nervous about something happening. I am just starting out and don't want anything to happen. I am thinking I need to put them all in a 'spot' while I have to go.
momma2girls 08:18 AM 03-12-2010
I know I literally have to time my bathroom breaks. I have to shut the door, because the bathroom is right next to the front door. I go fast and come out!! I have to time them, so no parents pick up or drop off at that time. Sometimes I laugh about it, and say we can't even use our own bathroom when we want or have to go!! HA!!!!
missnikki 08:19 AM 03-12-2010
I used a baby monitor in there with me.
SimpleMom 08:37 AM 03-12-2010
I have the bathroom supervised, so it's unaccessible to the children at all times unless I'm in there. I usually will put the babies in a crib and set up some really cool, and safe, activities for the older children to do so I can go potty.

Seems to work pretty good. I just go really, really fast! ha-ha
Childminder 09:05 AM 03-12-2010
Even if I shut the door someone finds a way in.LOL I haven't gone potty alone in 45 years. Open door policy here, doesn't bother me and I think potty training does go better if they see adults using the toilet.
jen 09:06 AM 03-12-2010
I agree with Mac...these aren't your kids and don't belong in the bathroom with you. I don't bring my own kids in the bathroom with me!

Little ones I put in the pack and play, big kids I having doing an activity of some sort....then I go quick!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:18 AM 03-12-2010
I use the gate to keep them in the playroom, leave the door open ,..potty,.. go peak at them, then wash my hands. Its only like 7 feet away from them around a corner so they cant see me,.. but I can hear them.
misol 01:43 PM 03-12-2010
I do what the masses do. I put the infants in a pack n play/crib/swing, and I give the older ones something to keep busy with and then I go fast. If I go right before my first child arrives I can hold out until nap time. Then I time the next one for when my first child leaves. I have to laugh about it sometimes too. I don't let the potty training dc kids watch me but I do let them watch each other.
Former Teacher 05:37 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by newtoeverything:
Ok...what does everyone else do? When I have to go to the potty (you can tell I work with kids...ha), I leave the door open - Just in Case. Then all of them, even the ones that crawl, come in there with me. It's like a big potty party...haha..

Just wondering..
You may find it funny but I don't think you will be laughing should someone call state. That means no more potty parties for you.

Yes I speak from experience. We had a grandmother who worked with us. A staff member told me several times that this grandmother would take the children in the bathroom with her. I didn't believe her since both staff members really didn't like each other etc. Anyway I told my director and went on with business.

Sure enough Grandma was leaving for the day and had to use the restroom. She was going to move the 3 children she had to the other room. Well the kids followed her and then it was to late. A parent of one of the kids saw her and was FURIOUS. I did my best to calm her down. The grandmother, like you, thought it was cute and funny. That made the parent even more mad.

A few days later we had a visit by state. We were written up. No more parties for Grandma. Kid pulled out. Life went on.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:57 PM 03-12-2010
I always go to the bathroom by myself. I have a big playgate set up in my living room for the young ones if I need to take a potty break or to keep them safe for a few min.
AmandasFCC 06:24 PM 03-12-2010
My playroom is VERY safe so when I need to go, I just go quick. I definitely close the door though, I personally don't feel it's appropriate for the children to be in there with. Yes, my own dd comes to the potty with me sometimes, but during daycare hours, no way. I don't currently have any young enough to need to confine, but if I did, I probably would put those ones in a pack n' play, but otherwise I wait til the kids are busy playing and are unlikely to need me. Occasionally I get to listen to them banging on the door screaming for me, but those times are few and far between.
DBug 06:53 PM 03-12-2010
I would never allow my dc kids in the bathroom with me. I feel that's completely inappropriate. The potty training toddlers all sit on potties at the same time -- that's enough visual reinforcement in my opinion. We have the playroom gated off and the bathroom is within earshot. I have lots of little ones, but I've never had a problem leaving them for two minutes while I go -- and I drink alot of water, so I go quite often.

Here's the thing though: I couldn't make it through the day with my sanity intact if I couldn't have those two minute breathers. I don't know how you do it!

And in the TMI category, what do you do when it's that time of the month? Do they see that and have you had to explain it to them?
Former Teacher 04:41 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
And in the TMI category, what do you do when it's that time of the month? Do they see that and have you had to explain it to them?
HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks DBug for my laugh for the day!
newtoeverything 10:24 AM 03-13-2010
Thanks everyone for chewing me up and spitting me out...lol. The only 2 children I have right now are my friends' kids. Once I start getting more, I can see it being a problem. I wanted to get some ideas on what to do, I'm new at this. Thanks!
DBug 12:51 PM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks DBug for my laugh for the day!
I was serious -- I really want to know! I have girlfriends that don't have an issue with their own kids in the washroom with them, and I've never had the guts to ask them

And newtoeverything, this job is full of learning experiences (I'll have been at it for a year soon, and I've learned sooo much!). Some parents may be okay with the bathroom door being open -- it may be something you just need to ask the parents about. That said, I don't know if there are licensing regulations pertaining to it that you may need to adhere to, even if the parents don't mind.

The other option, of course, is to get a video baby monitor to put in the playroom and take the receiver with you ... peace of mind, and no potential boundaries crossed.
gkids09 12:55 PM 03-13-2010
I actually have an assistant, so this isn't a problem for me, but, and I am NOT kidding, I did have a PARENT who used to come in and just go to the bathroom with the door wide open. It only happened a couple of times, and then I had to say something. I am sorry, but I was NOT interested in watching her do her business, and no one else was either!!
Former Teacher 02:21 PM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I was serious -- I really want to know! I have girlfriends that don't have an issue with their own kids in the washroom with them, and I've never had the guts to ask them
I know you were serious but this morning when I read it I just got a funny giggle going. No harm meant

Thanks everyone for chewing me up and spitting me out...lol. The only 2 children I have right now are my friends' kids. Once I start getting more, I can see it being a problem. I wanted to get some ideas on what to do, I'm new at this. Thanks!
We ALL have to start somewhere. I was only 17 years old when I started in childcare and believe me I am still learning after all these years! As for chewing you up and all, thats what friends are for j/k
Daycare Mommy 08:39 PM 03-13-2010
I just make sure everyone is getting along and may give a distraction if needed so I can get my potty break in peace. (And this is meant in the kindest way. No chewing you up or spitting you out intended. ) I don't give them the option to come in. Door gets closed and locked. I'm shy to begin with and don't think it's appropriate anyway, but aside from that it would make some parents (not to mention Social Services) FLIP OUT if they knew and as you build up clients you'll get all types.. So ya I'd phase that out and master the art of distracting them. If they're little guys pack n plays or high chairs with an interesting toy works. For the older ones new toys, or i set them up coloring, or if i just need a moment I'll set them up with a quick youtube video (pre-screened by yourself of course) of funny cats or something. Ooh and here's a favorite of ours. http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/ They go positively hysterical and "badger dance" the whole time I'm on my break. Here's another favorite: Snuggle Bunny They all sing along to this one, it's so sweet!
AfterSchoolMom 07:25 AM 03-14-2010
I'm going to have that badger thing in my head for the rest of my life! Haha!
ghostlykisses 10:12 AM 03-16-2010
Thank goodness I homeschool and can count on my 10yo dd or 11yo ds can keep an eye on things when I need to use the potty.

If I did not have that luxary I would put little ones in a pnp or high chair and do my business fast.

I agree with the people who say letting the dck in the bathroom is not ok. It may be fine with your own children and you can be very discrete but these are not your own children. There are way too many ways that someone could mistake an innocent safety measure as something unsavory. I guess if it was an infant 6 months or under and you did not want the baby to start screaming and wake other kids or something it might be ok, but not anyone older.
originalkat 12:57 PM 03-16-2010
Dont feel bad ... With my own kids we have an open door potty house. That is just how we are. But with the other kids I close the door.
However, numerous times kids just open it right on up (we dont have a lock). I dont make it a practice to let the kids in but sometimes they find a way anyway.)

As you can see from the responses...many parents have different privacy boundaries so that should be respected.
Janet 08:00 PM 03-16-2010
I answer! My bladder waits for no child, lol! I don't have a lock on the bathroom door, I used to but I had a couple of little turds who thought it was great fun to lock the door and close it behind them because then Ms. Janet could take the door aoart for them!! Yep, no lock. It sucks because I am forever getting walked in on. My 3yo dcg came in with the 3 yo dcg while I was sitting on the potty peeing. I was like, "ummm...ladies? Can I get you 2 to just go ahead and leave the bathroom. I'd like some privacy. The older girl was like "it's OK, we're girls too. We can be privates together." I got a kick out of that but I really do prefer my potty time alone.
Tags:bathroom, gates, homeschool, potty
Reply Up