Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Which Toys Don't They Like
Sunshine74 09:32 PM 02-09-2014
The thread about what we want for our program got me thinking, which toys do you have that you got, thinking the kids would love them, and they don't?

For us, it is the "Hop Around Steps" from Discount School Supply. http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=
For those who don't want to, or can't, click the link, they are plastic domes that are about 8" diameter that the kids can walk on like stepping stones, or stack, or whatever else they can think of. The set comes with 30. Well, they tend to just sit put away because any time we take them out, they play with them for maybe 5 minutes and that is about it.

Daycaregranny 09:45 PM 02-09-2014
Crud I was thinking about getting some of those.
Nebula 02:26 AM 02-10-2014
My kids won't touch the big trucks- even though I have a street rug, they won't use them. They do however LOVE LOVE LOVE the trains! I scored a huge set of Thomas train set and tracks from a thrift store for $4!! Has all the metal trains and they hook together magnetically, it is definitely a favorite toy.
Laurel 04:12 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
The thread about what we want for our program got me thinking, which toys do you have that you got, thinking the kids would love them, and they don't?

For us, it is the "Hop Around Steps" from Discount School Supply. http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=
For those who don't want to, or can't, click the link, they are plastic domes that are about 8" diameter that the kids can walk on like stepping stones, or stack, or whatever else they can think of. The set comes with 30. Well, they tend to just sit put away because any time we take them out, they play with them for maybe 5 minutes and that is about it.
I have the colorful one (second one down) and it was a complete waste of money http://babyplayyards.hubpages.com/hu...aby-play-yards as the older babies are drawn to it and push the sides in on the baby inside.

I have some adorable soft vehicles with plastic wheels that were rather expensive that no one likes.

They don't play with the big trucks too much like someone else said. I have some I keep for outside and some inside but they rarely touch them.

They don't like cloth books. They like the cheap plastic ones a lot and regular books but never showed any interest in the fabric type books.

Laurel
Lianne 04:19 AM 02-10-2014
I have a rubbermaid tote filled with waffle blocks but the kids won't play with them. I've tried them with different groups of kids in different age ranges and no one has shown any interest.
Angelsj 04:56 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:

Weird, the information has a warning. "Not for under 3 due to small parts.??
I don't see any small parts. It is a bummer they don't like them though. I don't have too much trouble with toys they don't love. They were tossing the puzzles around though, so I put them away for a while.
Lil'DinoEggs 05:12 AM 02-10-2014
Lincoln Logs which I was shocked and bummed because I bought them brand new....then again any toy I seem to buy brand new never gets played.....

The favorites are figurines: plastic dinos, little people, animals, a popular dress up doll. My box is pretty big now. They also love all the baby toys.
coolconfidentme 06:14 AM 02-10-2014
I noticed when I have too many things to play with they get bored easily & bounce from toy to toy. Now I only put out a few toys & rotate them out every month or so. They are excited to get something new to play with & hang with it longer. This month they love action figures & cars.
jenboo 07:06 AM 02-10-2014
I have been open since September and they play with everything! I do not have a large amount of toys. I have a kitchen/dress up area with baby dolls, cars/trucks, little people, the large legos, wooden blocks, puppets, books, art, puzzles, babyish toys (soft blocks, stacking cups)....everything is played with daily.
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
Lincoln Logs which I was shocked and bummed because I bought them brand new....then again any toy I seem to buy brand new never gets played.....

The favorites are figurines: plastic dinos, little people, animals, a popular dress up doll. My box is pretty big now. They also love all the baby toys.
I had the same issue with Lincoln Logs. I have a pretty nice collection (most from my DH's childhood and my own kids' additions to the set) and not one of my DCK's like or want to play with them.

They want to have sword fights with the longer logs and of course, tossing them around but it seems none of them actually know what to do with them.

When I showed them, they acted disappointed.

My guess is that the age group I have that them out for (age 3-5) are just too young for them.

Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have a rubbermaid tote filled with waffle blocks but the kids won't play with them. I've tried them with different groups of kids in different age ranges and no one has shown any interest.

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the waffle blocks though! They build with them for hours!
Lianne 09:42 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had the same issue with Lincoln Logs. I have a pretty nice collection (most from my DH's childhood and my own kids' additions to the set) and not one of my DCK's like or want to play with them.

They want to have sword fights with the longer logs and of course, tossing them around but it seems none of them actually know what to do with them.

When I showed them, they acted disappointed.

My guess is that the age group I have that them out for (age 3-5) are just too young for them.

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the waffle blocks though! They build with them for hours!
Up until I switched my toys around after Christmas, no one usually played with the Duplo or large lego blocks either. I have the large lego out right now and they've just started building with it. Today we had an airplane. First non-tower so far
daycarediva 09:50 AM 02-10-2014
My group love big cars, but I can no longer put them out as they WILL NOT play with them properly (sit and one handed) they push them around with their butts in the air at full speed. I had ONE nasty bruised ankle (mine) and that was the last day of those.

Lincoln logs (even sa don't like them)

Little people (I have TONS that I rotated out but they never even get touched, they are in storage, since I refuse to sell them)

waffle blocks (sold them this year)

cardboard blocks- hit and miss and depends on the group if I rotate them in or not. Some just throw them, others actually build with them.
SilverSabre25 09:55 AM 02-10-2014
Lincoln logs (My groups trends to the young side)

Dollhouse is a big "meh" and now it's not even an option because it got broken. I'm giong to replace it (DD is heartbroken) but probably not aim it at daycare.

Musical instruments--just a big noisy headache, and they never want to use them to play music/sing/etc...just make too much noise.

Lacing beads--I'm going to try these again but last time they were out dcb just took the laces and tried to tie people up....
cheerfuldom 10:20 AM 02-10-2014
Just sold a huge awesome set of Lincoln logs the kids never played with. I also had a really nice large wooden doll house that never got played with. They will play with the Barbie house and the little people house but we have been through several wooden doll houses with no luck. Puzzles never get played with appropriately so I sold all of them. I hate puzzle pieces.I am also really picky about who, where and when push toys likes carts and strollers and ride on toys are used. I also have to try out manipulatives and board games because about half end up getting resold.
Josiegirl 10:36 AM 02-10-2014
I spent a ton of money on a nice tall dollhouse, lots of furniture, and they mostly want to climb on it.
Gears, bought a nice tub of Gears and it never gets played with.
melilley 10:42 AM 02-10-2014
I can't really think of any of the toys that I have that they don't play with, but I do have a car rug that I swear is invisible though.
spud912 10:45 AM 02-10-2014
My group only plays with the Lincoln logs when I build a house , then they play with the house for awhile until it breaks and then they want me to fix it.
cheerfuldom 11:12 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I can't really think of any of the toys that I have that they don't play with, but I do have a car rug that I swear is invisible though.
oh yeah, car mat was another thing. No kid here every "got" the mat or understand how to play with it. Waste of money.

I am going to get a train table down the road and hope the kids will play with it appropriately. I will have two or three one year old boys this summer and we need some more ideas for toys!
Laurel 11:15 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Lincoln logs (My groups trends to the young side)

Dollhouse is a big "meh" and now it's not even an option because it got broken. I'm giong to replace it (DD is heartbroken) but probably not aim it at daycare.

Musical instruments--just a big noisy headache, and they never want to use them to play music/sing/etc...just make too much noise.

Lacing beads--I'm going to try these again but last time they were out dcb just took the laces and tried to tie people up....
I agree with doll house and musical instruments. Mine like lacing beads though.
Laurel 11:17 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh yeah, car mat was another thing. No kid here every "got" the mat or understand how to play with it. Waste of money.

I am going to get a train table down the road and hope the kids will play with it appropriately. I will have two or three one year old boys this summer and we need some more ideas for toys!
Agree with car mat although I use it just for a rug in a bedroom that they sleep in. It looks cute.
SilverSabre25 11:30 AM 02-10-2014
Agree with the car mat--though that is now in my 2.5 yo DS's room and he just LOVES "his road". dcks never cared though.
LeslieG 11:53 AM 02-10-2014
Waffle blocks and really anything you can build with… they usually just dump and go! And yes, the car mat. I spent so much time searching for a good one and I don't think anyone has ever playing with it!! I have boys that like cars, but they just don't use the mat.
melilley 12:51 PM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I have 2 1 yo boys. They love playing with cars, duplo's, shape sorter, pretend lap top (it doesn't even turn on...lol), Mr. Potato Head, play phones, just to name a few.
BumbleBee 01:58 PM 02-10-2014
Lincoln logs, lacing cards, cardboard blocks
CraftyMom 02:35 PM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My group love big cars, but I can no longer put them out as they WILL NOT play with them properly (sit and one handed) they push them around with their butts in the air at full speed. I had ONE nasty bruised ankle (mine) and that was the last day of those.
I have the same problem, the 3-5 boys love big cars but run around and crash into everything, they get taken away every time. Outside I don't mind, but I don't like my walls and the other children banged up
CraftyMom 02:38 PM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
Same trouble with Lincoln Logs, no one was interested.

Sometimes I think the kids are going to LOVE something I buy and then they're like ya, whatever
Sunshine74 09:09 PM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Nebula:
My kids won't touch the big trucks- even though I have a street rug, they won't use them. They do however LOVE LOVE LOVE the trains! I scored a huge set of Thomas train set and tracks from a thrift store for $4!! Has all the metal trains and they hook together magnetically, it is definitely a favorite toy.
Ours love the big trucks, a little too much. They are put away for now, they were causing too much turmoil.

Originally Posted by Lianne:
Ours our hot and cold with those. The group we have right now always want us to put them into cubes, then they stack them. And they are starting to stick them together in long lines.

Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Weird, the information has a warning. "Not for under 3 due to small parts.??
I don't see any small parts. It is a bummer they don't like them though. I don't have too much trouble with toys they don't love. They were tossing the puzzles around though, so I put them away for a while.
The holder/stick that they go on has a small cap that goes on the top. It really does nothing to hold them on, so we just threw ours out.
Play Care 03:19 AM 02-11-2014
I had a nice train table that was used as a climbing device. I sold it.

I'm going to be taking out all my big cars/truck as they refuse to follow the rules.
Tags:least favorite- toys, toys
Reply Up