Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poop!
Unregistered 11:00 AM 07-30-2014
Dcb almost 4 wears pullups that he keeps dry all day here, and he uses the toilet, but for poop he goes in the pullup, usually at home. Mom doesn't seem consistent and gives in to whatever he wants too often. She also lets him have toys on the toilet, reads and sits and talks to him the whole time he's in there.
He went to the doc last week for a checkup. Now mom says doc says we have to start potty training all over. ???? He is to be allowed to poop in his pullup. Next we only allow it in the bathroom. Then in his pullup while sitting on the toilet. And then we cut a hole in his pullup (she says diaper when she tells me about this) and have him poop into the toilet through the hole. She says the doctor says this is normal. ????
I don't find it normal and I don't want to do it. I don't have time to cut holes in pullups or have him change pullups because he wants or needs to go. I am surprised that this came from the doctor and that it is considered normal. What would you do?
hope 11:15 AM 07-30-2014
I would tell her your potty training policy is pull ups until he is trained at home for 2 consistent weeks. Potty training is up to the parent. Now you can help by asking him if he needs to go potty or taking him at certain times but that plan from the doctors is meant to be done at home....not in group care.
KSDC 11:26 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I would tell her your potty training policy is pull ups until he is trained at home for 2 consistent weeks. Potty training is up to the parent. Now you can help by asking him if he needs to go potty or taking him at certain times but that plan from the doctors is meant to be done at home....not in group care.

No way am I dealing with all of that nonsense in a group daycare setting. If she wants to do it at home, great.
mamamanda 12:13 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I agree. I would NOT be playing that game at all. There isn't time for that if you have more than one child. It is ridiculous what parents expect of us. Once he is pooping on the potty at home then you can work on it at daycare. Good grief. Sometimes parents make me crazy.
Solandia 12:22 PM 07-30-2014
Mom can do the poop training at home.

This is coming from a mom with a 4yo ds who withholds (encopresis), and poop will always be an issue. I wish all I had to do is put a pull up on the kid and have him poop. Starting over with potty training is a common suggestion from the pedi's office so that the child doesn't start withholding to the point of not feeling the urge to go at all.
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Dcb almost 4 wears pullups that he keeps dry all day here, and he uses the toilet, but for poop he goes in the pullup, usually at home. Mom doesn't seem consistent and gives in to whatever he wants too often. She also lets him have toys on the toilet, reads and sits and talks to him the whole time he's in there.
He went to the doc last week for a checkup. Now mom says doc says we have to start potty training all over. ???? He is to be allowed to poop in his pullup. Next we only allow it in the bathroom. Then in his pullup while sitting on the toilet. And then we cut a hole in his pullup (she says diaper when she tells me about this) and have him poop into the toilet through the hole. She says the doctor says this is normal. ????
I don't find it normal and I don't want to do it. I don't have time to cut holes in pullups or have him change pullups because he wants or needs to go. I am surprised that this came from the doctor and that it is considered normal. What would you do?
Did mom show you anything saying the doctor said that or is she just telling you that?

Honestly, I bet the doctor suggested that as ONE method of "retraining" but I'm betting mom is pushing it off onto you as something YOU have to doin daycare.

Like previous poster said, I would put it back on mom and tell her WHEN DCB indicates (verbally) he needs to go to the bathroom (poop or pee) then you will assist him in doing so but if he doesn't say or do anything to indicate he needs to use the bathroom, then I would just treat him like any other child in diapers....change him as needed.

I do NOT entertain request for potty training support that require that amount of one on one attention. NOT possible in group care.

Sounds like mom needs to take some vacation time from work and spend a good solid week poop training HER child.
Unregistered 01:43 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Solandia:
Mom can do the poop training at home.

This is coming from a mom with a 4yo ds who withholds (encopresis), and poop will always be an issue. I wish all I had to do is put a pull up on the kid and have him poop. Starting over with potty training is a common suggestion from the pedi's office so that the child doesn't start withholding to the point of not feeling the urge to go at all.
I don't understand what they mean by starting over??? He is pee-trained, but not poop-trained. Never has been. Start what over then?
Michelle 03:16 PM 07-30-2014
I have heard of this and I have had a mom successfully train her son at home doing this and it works for a child that is scared to poop in the toilet
it really does work but I wouldn't do it at daycare
Reply Up