Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
Janiam 08:09 PM 07-17-2015
My son is working on his ECE degree and working at a very difficult center this summer. He greeted DCM at dropoff, she said hello and commented on his orange shorts. Then called him a faggot as she was walking away! I am livid at the ignorance of this woman. Luckily he has a thick skin and good sense of humor ( and a hot, smart girlfriend). He replied in a high feminine voice "guiltyyyy". Honestly, what's the matter with people?
DaveA 04:27 AM 07-18-2015
Originally Posted by Janiam:
My son is working on his ECE degree and working at a very difficult center this summer. He greeted DCM at dropoff, she said hello and commented on his orange shorts. Then called him a faggot as she was walking away! I am livid at the ignorance of this woman. Luckily he has a thick skin and good sense of humor ( and a hot, smart girlfriend). He replied in a high feminine voice "guiltyyyy". Honestly, what's the matter with people?
Wow does that bring back a ton of bad memories of a particular center I worked at. Ouch

Was that a REALLY bad attempt at a joke, was she mad at him, or was she just being an a@@clown? Either way totally out of line. I've been there although no one has ever said THAT word to my face. But I've had DCPs, coworkers, and others assume I was gay and tell me how stunned they were when they find out I have a wife and kids. For people who have issues with men in ECE it is a common thought about any guy working in ECE. Pretty lousy logic: guys don't want to work with kids=guys who want to work with kids must not be "real men"= guys who work with kids must be gay. Stupid I know. Strangely enough one of the other big assumptions was that I was just trying to meet women.

If he didn't already he needs to tell his supervisor ASAP. This is no different that a DCP using a racial, ethnic, or religious slur at a staff. None of those should be tolerated either. Even if he shrugs it off (usually what I did too in annoying situations) they need to be made aware of it. Because unless this was some weird attempt at a joke that DCM realizes later was inappropriate there will be another issue at another time.

Sounds like he handled it just about as well as could be done. Good news is about 75% of people have no issue with men in ECE. of the 25% that do 10-15% can accept it or at least shut up about their problems. It's the 10-15% that are complete and total a@@holes about it that will drive him nuts every so often.

Tell Him good luck for me. Hope otherwise he's enjoying himself.
Janiam 08:25 AM 07-18-2015
[quote=DaveArmour;546476] Wow does that bring back a ton of bad memories of a particular center I worked at. Ouch

Was that a REALLY bad attempt at a joke, was she mad at him, or was she just being an a@@clown? Either way totally out of line. I've been there although no one has ever said THAT word to my face. But I've had DCPs, coworkers, and others assume I was gay and tell me how stunned they were when they find out I have a wife and kids. For people who have issues with men in ECE it is a common thought about any guy working in ECE. Pretty lousy logic: guys don't want to work with kids=guys who want to work with kids must not be "real men"= guys who work with kids must be gay. Stupid I know. Strangely enough one of the other big assumptions was that I was just trying to meet women.

So very true, he has definately been getting some attitude from a few parents, one DCD even shook his had extremely hard, showing him to man up I guess. I told him the pitfalls of working in a womens field, so he is aware and up for the challenge. Alyhough I never considered that women would think he is looking for a date god point, I will mention it to him. He will find hysterical!

If he didn't already he needs to tell his supervisor ASAP. This is no different that a DCP using a racial, ethnic, or religious slur at a staff. None of those should be tolerated either. Even if he shrugs it off (usually what I did too in annoying situations) they need to be made aware of it. Because unless this was some weird attempt at a joke that DCM realizes later was inappropriate there will be another issue at another time.
I think he should mention it too, most of the things I would let roll but to me those kind ofremarks cross the line. This is his second summer here and hopefully his last.

Sounds like he handled it just about as well as could be done. Good news is about 75% of people have no issue with men in ECE. of the 25% that do 10-15% can accept it or at least shut up about their problems. It's the 10-15% that are complete and total a@@holes about it that will drive him nuts every so often.

Thank you for sharing these facts, I will pass them on. I truly hope there is more acceptance for men in this field, So many kids need and benefit from male role models in their environments away from home. There are some DCM's that seem to truly appreciate him and the kids think he is awesome. And the staff well...frankly I thimk they take advantage of him but he is getting valuable experience!

Tell Him good luck for me. Hope otherwise he's enjoying himself.[/QUOTE

I will, and thanks again. It's good to hear experiences from other men in this field, I think he will be a great teacher one day! He goes back to school in the fall and has a job lined up at a K-8 montessori school in a nice area near the college. He is loving school and made some great friends there last year, So he is looking forward to this next year once he is done with his current job!
pandamom 12:22 PM 07-20-2015
All toddler classes missed out on two hours of outdoor play today. Before lunch they were ready to climb the walls. I know it'll be too hot this afternoon to try outdoor play.

Why can't we go outside? There is a huge rat in the outdoor play area and no one has been able to catch/kill it. We can't risk a child getting bit. It keeps zooming around the playground. Ugh....
AmyLeigh 03:10 PM 07-20-2015
Part time dcg spent the last two and a half weeks with her doting grandparents. Today is her first day back here with me.

Now I have to teach her that she is not the only child in the world.

Really. She thought I was being silly and called her by my dd's name. Nope. I was actually talking to dd, not her.

And is it possible for an almost 5 yo to lose dexterity in that time? She seems to have forgotten how to hold a crayon and how to make simple circles. It is her weakness, so I have been gently working with her on it. She was making progress, but it's all gone today. Grandparents don't have her draw or color, I guess.
nannyde 05:56 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Part time dcg spent the last two and a half weeks with her doting grandparents. Today is her first day back here with me.

Now I have to teach her that she is not the only child in the world.

Really. She thought I was being silly and called her by my dd's name. Nope. I was actually talking to dd, not her.

And is it possible for an almost 5 yo to lose dexterity in that time? She seems to have forgotten how to hold a crayon and how to make simple circles. It is her weakness, so I have been gently working with her on it. She was making progress, but it's all gone today. Grandparents don't have her draw or color, I guess.
I bet her point and swipe is in good working condition
Bookworm 06:04 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I bet her point and swipe is in good working condition
This why you're the best, Nanny.
Play Care 07:09 AM 07-22-2015
Nothing says "we want money!" like an invitation to a high school graduation party for a neighbors kid who you hardly know.

My own kids! They have a few chores to do during each day and it's pulling teeth! The whining and fussing over it drives me nuts. And DH is just as bad. On one hand he says he understands I'm working and can't be on them to,get their stuff done. On the other hand he gets annoyed and snippy if I don't do just that.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Nothing says "we want money!" like an invitation to a high school graduation party for a neighbors kid who you hardly know.
Ive been getting them too lately... mine are for my first batch of DCK's.

Some of which I haven't seen since they day they aged out or were termed.

I sent cards and monetary amounts equal to how quickly I think they would recognize/remember me if I were to run into them in Target etc (with out a parent prompt).
hope 07:34 AM 07-22-2015

My own kids! They have a few chores to do during each day and it's pulling teeth! The whining and fussing over it drives me nuts. And DH is just as bad. On one hand he says he understands I'm working and can't be on them to,get their stuff done. On the other hand he gets annoyed and snippy if I don't do just that.
My neighbor just graduated high school and she said she was invited to so many parties from her class and it is expected to bring a monetary gift. I can't imagine how much it would cost to go to all that she is invited to. There are over 700 students in her class. Grad parties around here have turned into huge formal events. Parents try to compete for venues and dates.
LysesKids 06:50 AM 07-23-2015
They always say things come in 3's, well last week I asked my PTmom last week if she wanted to take the FT position as someone wanted one & she was the only PTimer to ask... she said no, I contracted FT family and was immediately told to go to HE** by mom & that she was pulling immediately instead of using the 2.5 weeks given her; she said keep the $ (like she had a choice) - most my families pay by the month...

Had another mom decide to yank her child and up and disappear this week without warning (she recently split from father)... apparently she wasn't paying on the phone & he took it back because she had 3 others he found out. Moms a little out there but told dad on Saturday that if I try to find her and get my 2 week termination that is required she would sue for harassment... little boy wasn't suppose to come Mon or Tue so didn't think anything was wrong until yesterday. She just moved in with her new boyfriend and has been hitting everyone up for money so who knows what the situation is now

Who wants to guess what # 3 holds?
Leigh 07:59 AM 07-23-2015

DCM just posts on FB how much she LOVED spending her time off at home with her kid. The kid who was at my house all but one of those days because Mom couldn't get anything done with all the crying. I didn't have an issue with the child being here, I just had to roll my eyes til they hurt when I saw her gushing about being at home with her!

hope 08:06 AM 07-23-2015
I despise the game of tag!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annalee 10:06 AM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:

DCM just posts on FB how much she LOVED spending her time off at home with her kid. The kid who was at my house all but one of those days because Mom couldn't get anything done with all the crying. I didn't have an issue with the child being here, I just had to roll my eyes til they hurt when I saw her gushing about being at home with her!

FB can be annoying because it is full of words with NO ACTIONS! I saw a saying the other day that said something like "we all know you are not all you POST to be So true for some FB users!
MsLisa 07:10 AM 07-27-2015
So my boss put in his 2 week notice while I was away on vacation and will be gone at the end of AUGUST.
My assistant told me this morning in secret as he's waiting to tell me later today (if he's in). He's afraid to tell me cause he fears I will leave (and thus POOF goes Aftercare program).

....saw this coming. Thought he'd at least make it to December.
He didn't even make it to a full year.

Now I fear who will take his place & I'm disappointed how bad things are turning.
Leigh 07:37 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
So my boss put in his 2 week notice while I was away on vacation and will be gone at the end of AUGUST.
My assistant told me this morning in secret as he's waiting to tell me later today (if he's in). He's afraid to tell me cause he fears I will leave (and thus POOF goes Aftercare program).

....saw this coming. Thought he'd at least make it to December.
He didn't even make it to a full year.

Now I fear who will take his place & I'm disappointed how bad things are turning.
Why not apply for his job, and try to turn things around? Is this an option for you?
Controlled Chaos 08:12 AM 07-27-2015
Why not apply for his job, land try to turn things around? Is this an option for you?

DaveA 09:14 AM 07-27-2015
Why not apply for his job, and try to turn things around? Is this an option for you?
+1 If you want to stay there, take a shot at it.
DaveA 09:16 AM 07-27-2015
DCG 10months came in this morning with pierced ears. No issue with that, but I've had to listen to DCG 7y/o whine all morning about the "cosmic injustice" (her favorite and most used term) of her not being able to get hers pierced till she's at least 10.
LysesKids 09:20 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
DCG 10months came in this morning with pierced ears. No issue with that, but I've had to listen to DCG 7y/o whine all morning about the "cosmic injustice" (her favorite and most used term) of her not being able to get hers pierced till she's at least 10.
Heck my parents made me wait til I was 18... I pierced them at age 15 & promptly had to remove them ( strict house); my own daughters were pierced at age 5
Play Care 09:35 AM 07-27-2015
I know it's not funny for you but I'm dying here

Cosmic injustice. I like it
BumbleBee 09:40 AM 07-27-2015
Dck's are being real jerks today. Just rude rude rude.
MsLisa 06:37 AM 07-28-2015
If he would have waited till December or specifically May 2016, when the Pre-k & under officially closes....then yes. I would be the only program left and BAM it would be like he never existed. I would take over by default.

....BUT....

Since he's leaving alarmingly so soon, Pre-K & under is still going and I need at least a degree in education to fill his spot. I merely have just the "at work" experience. So sadly no.

I am curious to see who they will bring in or throw in to that spot. I need to make it to October at least to get my 1yr in but then again, I like my job position and won't get it anywhere else if I apply else where. So who knows...
childcaremom 07:51 AM 07-28-2015
If he would have waited till December or specifically May 2016, when the Pre-k & under officially closes....then yes. I would be the only program left and BAM it would be like he never existed. I would take over by default.

....BUT....

Since he's leaving alarmingly so soon, Pre-K & under is still going and I need at least a degree in education to fill his spot. I merely have just the "at work" experience. So sadly no.

I am curious to see who they will bring in or throw in to that spot. I need to make it to October at least to get my 1yr in but then again, I like my job position and won't get it anywhere else if I apply else where. So who knows...
Do you *need* or is that what they want? I would apply for it anyways. Play up your experience, what you've been doing above and beyond your job (I think I recall you saying that you were doing a lot of his work already?), etc. If he bailed on them with little notice, you may be in the right place at the right time.

Go for it!
DaveA 08:07 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Do you *need* or is that what they want? I would apply for it anyways. Play up your experience, what you've been doing above and beyond your job (I think I recall you saying that you were doing a lot of his work already?), etc. If he bailed on them with little notice, you may be in the right place at the right time.

Go for it!
Unless it's part of a legal requirement qualifications are negotiable just like any other part of a job. From the outset tell them how you would handle the biggest problems they don't want to have to deal with. I'll bet the definition of "qualified" will change pretty quickly.
Play Care 10:15 AM 07-28-2015
Unless it's part of a legal requirement qualifications are negotiable just like any other part of a job. From the outset tell them how you would handle the biggest problems they don't want to have to deal with. I'll bet the definition of "qualified" will change pretty quickly.
Yup. Our local library went from requiring someone with a Masters degree for their director position to requiring practical library experience. The couple of people they had with masters were awful - the lady with the Associates degree and actual experience did a better job... You never know!
Leigh 10:58 AM 07-28-2015
I agree completely. I have had several "degree required" jobs where I didn't meet their printed qualifications, but I proved that I did have what they needed in experience and ambition, and I would bet that the same could happen with you!
deliberateliterate 12:43 PM 07-28-2015
I know it's not funny for you but I'm dying here

Cosmic injustice. I like it
I first read that as "cosmetic injustice", which would work just as well. LOL at your daughter!!
MsLisa 04:34 PM 07-28-2015

Go for it!
Another thing i'm unsure of actually.
He was not even technically qualified for his own job, his education degree is in Spanish & PE. They just saw the Education part and just gave it to him. He's been "winging it" ever since. Same with the program director position they threw on him (that he didn't want & pushed him to quit). No experience, just good at "putting out fires". They had 3 months to find hire someone, but they never do. They just throw it at anyone who remotely knows anything about it. I've been asked numerous of times to substitute for Child Watch & do art classes based merely on the fact that I work with kids. It's just how this YMCA works.

He's on vacation this week, ironically. I'm awaiting his return for him to tell me he's leaving (try to act shocked) and then i'll throw my hat in. I mean, at least I can try!
Thanks for the support guys (gals)!
Thriftylady 04:36 PM 07-28-2015
Yup. Our local library went from requiring someone with a Masters degree for their director position to requiring practical library experience. The couple of people they had with masters were awful - the lady with the Associates degree and actual experience did a better job... You never know!
Because when they want someone with degrees, they often don't want to pay what it costs to pay for that education. Happens in every field, sadly.
Leigh 05:00 PM 07-28-2015
Another thing i'm unsure of actually.
He was not even technically qualified for his own job, his education degree is in Spanish & PE. They just saw the Education part and just gave it to him. He's been "winging it" ever since. Same with the program director position they threw on him (that he didn't want & pushed him to quit). No experience, just good at "putting out fires". They had 3 months to find hire someone, but they never do. They just throw it at anymore who remotely knows anything about it. I've been asked numerous of times to substitute for Child Watch & do art classes based merely on the fact that I work with kids. It's just how this YMCA works.

He's on vacation this week, ironically. I'm awaiting his return for him to tell me he's leaving (try to act shocked) and then i'll throw my hat in. I mean, at least I can try!
Thanks for the support guys (gals)!
Good luck!
Bookworm 07:58 PM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Because when they want someone with degrees, they often don't want to pay what it costs to pay for that education. Happens in every field, sadly.
This was the problem my husband had when looking for work a few years back. He has 20+ years working in warehousing/inventory control/ logistics and he rightly expected to paid according to his experience. But the majority of the companies he interviewed with said that they "needed" someone with a degree. I agree with Thriftylady. Businesses will usually go with the "fresh out of college with little to no experience" candidate because it's cheaper.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 07-29-2015
Hi Everyone! My name is Diana Perez

Enjoy!
Diana
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi Everyone! My name is Diana Perez

Enjoy!
Diana
The link you just posted is the point of this forum.

It's for parents and providers to learn and share all things child care related.

The owner of this forum does not allow advertising on this site without permission and I doubt would allow advertising to someone that is in a somewhat competitive business.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the site owner here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=1
Febby 09:25 PM 08-01-2015
I really wish people would understand that I don't automatically want to watch their children when I'm not working. My neighbor texted me at 7AM this morning to ask if I could watch her daughter from 8AM until 10PM tonight. Not happening. The girl is really sweet, but I just worked ~45 hours with children this week and a ton of staff were out with various illness, so I WORKED those hours.

I also had a DCG3 come in yesterday with a short skirt on and no underwear. Which I noticed when she laid down on the floor and spread her legs for me and another parent, who was dropping off their child, to see. And, of course, she had no extra clothes here so I put her in a pull-up and the ugliest pair of daycare shorts I could find. When I confronted DCD about it at pickup, he said "Well, she told me she didn't want to wear underwear today." Why would you ever think it's okay to give your 3 year old the option of not wearing underwear under her skirt????
ZB4 06:14 AM 08-03-2015
Why oh why is it every time I'm on my last dime the parent who ALWAYS pays on time, in cash, shows up and tells me they can't pay me until tomorrow?? Ugh!! It's like the universe is saying "did you really think that was gonna go your way mwhahaaa!!"
mommiebookworm 01:14 PM 08-03-2015
When you choose to take your kids elsewhere for the summer, there was never a guarantee that I would take them back when school started. Sorry. I was polite about it, you could be too! Ever heard of karma?
Play Care 02:09 PM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
When you choose to take your kids elsewhere for the summer, there was never a guarantee that I would take them back when school started. Sorry. I was polite about it, you could be too! Ever heard of karma?
Is this the mom you posted about before?! Spill!!
mommiebookworm 06:43 PM 08-03-2015
Yes, Play Care! Ughhh! She texted me that she wanted to send her kids back starting next week. I responded, that sorry I couldnt. My excuse was that I didn't have room. She has been posting all kinds of crap about "bitter" people on Facebook, and how she needs to find a nanny!
Unregistered 06:49 PM 08-03-2015
6 year old jerks. A 6 year old was being a complete bossy child. She was just barking orders at the kids to get things and do things for her. No matter what I said she thought the kids were her minions all day long. I wanted her to go and then she said, I hope you are getting me something for my birthday in (3/4 months). Really
Play Care 03:26 AM 08-04-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
Yes, Play Care! Ughhh! She texted me that she wanted to send her kids back starting next week. I responded, that sorry I couldnt. My excuse was that I didn't have room. She has been posting all kinds of crap about "bitter" people on Facebook, and how she needs to find a nanny!
That stinks. Can you unfriend her?
But in good news, you're done with them
jgcp 09:35 AM 08-04-2015
We went on a small vacation to see my sister and her family. Her 4 yo runs the house and has screaming fits... not cool. BUT now my 2 1/2 yr old is doing to same thing ever since we got home. Hes had a really nasty attitude lately anyway, and i have tried everything to get him to stop!! Putting him in his room ( no toys in there) time out, i slap his mouth, i take his toys away, i put soap in his mouth ( he understands why) I just cannot get him to be nice to me or anyone in our home. Ive even tried to add more reading time, learning time, crafts, all that and he will not do it!! Im losing my mind and he know it and likes it
daycarediva 09:58 AM 08-04-2015
Originally Posted by jgcp:
We went on a small vacation to see my sister and her family. Her 4 yo runs the house and has screaming fits... not cool. BUT now my 2 1/2 yr old is doing to same thing ever since we got home. Hes had a really nasty attitude lately anyway, and i have tried everything to get him to stop!! Putting him in his room ( no toys in there) time out, i slap his mouth, i take his toys away, i put soap in his mouth ( he understands why) I just cannot get him to be nice to me or anyone in our home. Ive even tried to add more reading time, learning time, crafts, all that and he will not do it!! Im losing my mind and he know it and likes it
2 1/2 is a tough age, but I can't say he's going to be nicer if he expects to be slapped or have soap put in his mouth.

Set a hard limit about rules, consequences and enforce them. GENTLY.

"The rule is no throwing the toys. If you throw the toys, you will have to sit in time out."

*throws toy*

(GENTLY lead him to a chair) "You may get up when the timer goes off."

give him LOTS of reminders and praise good choices. Show him respect, treat him kindly and with empathy and he will respond.
childcaremom 10:55 AM 08-04-2015
Love the time off to spend with my own children.

Don't love the off-scheduled kids that come back. One spent the weekend with nanny so was completely spoiled and was a hot mess this morning. The other could barely stay awake after a camping trip.

Early lunch. No one ate. Early nap and they were both out within 1 minute.

Tired. Whiny. (those are me )

2 more hours.
MsLisa 03:38 PM 08-04-2015
So my boss tells me, in private, that they are frantically looking for his replacement, dipping as low as to anyone in the building who has a degree. Apparently the CEO mentions me enthusiastically, and i'm like wow, me? I didn't think she even knew who I was. BUT....

Then my boss laughs, tells me he told her "Oh no no no!" and that was that.

I laughed it off and played the "oh well" card but inside I'm insulted. I'm mad. He literally "c*ck blocked" me from the position.

No, I don't have a degree in education but I have been here for almost a year with on-job experience. No, I don't have experience as a director, but I learn quick. I went from SAHM to Coordinator in less than a day of volunteering there. I have the potential and drive. Apparently my boss doesn't see that even though he brags about me all the time.

I want to write the CEO an email, letting her know that I am truly flattered to considered and ask if she would be willing to take me on as an Assistant Childcare Director. That way I can learn those ropes and go from there. I'm not one to go over people's heads but I feel as if I deserve a freakin chance.
childcaremom 05:08 PM 08-04-2015
So my boss tells me, in private, that they are frantically looking for his replacement, dipping as low as to anyone in the building who has a degree. Apparently the CEO mentions me enthusiastically, and i'm like wow, me? I didn't think she even knew who I was. BUT....

Then my boss laughs, tells me he told her "Oh no no no!" and that was that.

I laughed it off and played the "oh well" card but inside I'm insulted. I'm mad. He literally "c*ck blocked" me from the position.

No, I don't have a degree in education but I have been here for almost a year with on-job experience. No, I don't have experience as a director, but I learn quick. I went from SAHM to Coordinator in less than a day of volunteering there. I have the potential and drive. Apparently my boss doesn't see that even though he brags about me all the time.

I want to write the CEO an email, letting her know that I am truly flattered to considered and ask if she would be willing to take me on as an Assistant Childcare Director. That way I can learn those ropes and go from there. I'm not one to go over people's heads but I feel as if I deserve a freakin chance.
1st: His bragging should tell you that he knows that you can do it.
2nd: Write the letter. Life is short and you will always wonder what if.

You've got this
Thriftylady 05:35 PM 08-04-2015

You've got this
I would not only write it, but go in person as well.
Baby Beluga 08:22 PM 08-04-2015
^^^ what they said. You've got this!
littletots 07:47 AM 08-05-2015
Ms Lisa - oh my gosh. Awful to hear boss tell you he couldn't support you for the position. He's upset certainly. Who wouldn't be. Shame on him. As they say relax, calm, Now... go for it. The best situations is when you know all the details. And boss gave you all the cards. Love it. Silly of him. Take the info, use it to your advantage, the position is right in front of you.
littletots 07:58 AM 08-05-2015
Ms Lisa - oh my gosh. Awful to hear boss tell you he couldn't support you for the position. He's upset certainly. Who wouldn't be. Shame on him. As they say relax, calm, Now... go for it. The best situations is when you know all the details. And boss gave you all the cards. Love it. Silly of him. Take the info, use it to your advantage, the position is right in front of you.
DaveA 08:32 AM 08-05-2015

You've got this
my thoughts exactly
AmyKidsCo 01:46 PM 08-05-2015
Not child care related, but our 8 yr old needs $2,000 of dental work done. Our insurance will cover $1,000 but the dentist requires we pay the full amount up front, then he'll reimburse us when the insurance comes through. Like we have $2,000 just sitting around...
Controlled Chaos 01:51 PM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Not child care related, but our 8 yr old needs $2,000 of dental work done. Our insurance will cover $1,000 but the dentist requires we pay the full amount up front, then he'll reimburse us when the insurance comes through. Like we have $2,000 just sitting around...
I am sorry I just had $900 of dental work done last month. As I left the office after day 2 of several hours in the chair, the woman at the front desk said "Hope to see back soon!" I literally started crying (which is super ugly when your face is numb and you can't feel snot on your face) and said "I hope not!" as I walked out the door. Poor lady was trying to be friendly and I was not in the mood.

Hope your 8yo isn't in too much pain right now.
Leigh 06:03 PM 08-05-2015
Does he participate in Care Credit? That could be an option for you, even if your credit isn't perfect-I have heard that they tend to be more lenient with approvals.
Play Care 07:53 AM 08-06-2015
Ugh. Feel your pain!
We just did phase 1 orthodontics for older dd. $3,600 and NONE was covered by insurance Our ortho has payment plan options though so we chose Care Credit (and the bonus is we were able to use DH's flex spending for the payments!) Then she had to have an upper frenectomy which was only marginally covered by insurance (if we didn't her upper teeth would have popped back apart after having the braces off ) That was $400...

Now younger DD starts her phase one orthodontics next week. Let the fun begin again!!

In your case, I might call around for second and third opinions and see if other dentists have better payment plans. Good Luck!
AmyKidsCo 09:30 AM 08-06-2015
Does he participate in Care Credit? That could be an option for you, even if your credit isn't perfect-I have heard that they tend to be more lenient with approvals.
I don't know but am going to look into it.

He's not in pain but I'm worried that waiting will make the cavities worse and cost higher. Why did he have to be cursed with my teeth? DH has only had 1 cavity in his whole life.
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 08-06-2015
I don't know but am going to look into it.

He's not in pain but I'm worried that waiting will make the cavities worse and cost higher. Why did he have to be cursed with my teeth? DH has only had 1 cavity in his whole life.
I would call WDA (Wisconsin Dental Association) and ask about their dental grants. http://www.wda.org/wda-foundation/grants

I don't know the details to apply or how it works but I've heard of people using this foundation as a way to pay for some of their unexpected dental costs.

If they can't help, I bet they can send you in the right direction to find out who can.
Pepperth 01:21 PM 08-06-2015
So...I just got stung by a wasp and I couldn't say any of the words inside my head around the children. Plus now we have to go inside until I can make sure there is no nest nearby. OUCH!
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
So...I just got stung by a wasp and I couldn't say any of the words inside my head around the children. Plus now we have to go inside until I can make sure there is no nest nearby. OUCH!
Ouch!! I am sorry!

I've never been stung by a bee or wasp or anything like that in my life so I have no idea how badly it hurts but I assume it's awful!

Hoping you are able to remedy the situation and there is no nest nearby.
AmyLeigh 10:43 AM 08-07-2015
Today is the last Friday before dcg starts school, so I thought it would be fun to do a special field trip. To top it off, she is the only dck in attendance today. So I get her and my kids excited to go to the kids museum, a half hour away. We arrive only to find put that the museum is closed for August and September! What really gets me is the fact I've been receiving newsletters from this museum for the last two years. Would it be so difficult to send out an email saying, by the way, we are moving and so are going to be closed for two months? Thankfully, Ds remembered that there is a cool park not too far from there. Better than Chuck E Cheese.
MsLisa 12:48 PM 08-13-2015
If this fake, still lives at home with parents, dipsh** 25yr old Pre-K teacher even REMOTELY get the Childcare director position I will raise the world a new kind of hell.

This chick tried to get me written up and fired for....NOT SAYING GOODBYE TO HER! Not even kidding. Months ago, I was leaving the building, she was talking in a group of other coworkers and I didn't say bye out of just sheer "want to get home" mode. She raised hell the next day over it and has since tried to throw me under the bus at any turn. I, being a god damn adult, basically don't acknowledge her existence but am 100% business professional. It drives her nuts. I'm a well loved, super respected alpha and she hates me for it.

Now she thinks she can take the director spot? NOPE. She had it once for 3 months before I was even a thought and failed miserably, almost putting it under. So I really hope they remember that and not just look at her bachelor's and give it to her. NO. I refuse to bow and I will destroy the land I created before she can remotely go above me. /tantrum
Febby 08:13 PM 08-14-2015
I get that people are wanting to leave the large and previously good center that's nearby because it's under state sanctions, etc. (OT, but how much do you have annoy your inspector for them to note the condition of your ceiling tiles and the amount of crayon on the wall on your inspection report???), but why are they being hired at my center for all the lead teacher slots? Half our staff is now from that center and most of the rest of the half are from some of the worst centers in the area. I guess that's so when we're telling stories from our old centers about all the employees who used to show up drunk/high, they won't feel so bad about their old center?

But, seriously, for people who came from a center that was supposed to be superior, I have to do a lot of explaining about why it's important to know your head count and ratios. And that they should probably get off their cell phones. But, you know, they have experience at a superior center so they're getting the lead teacher spots...
Bookworm 09:28 PM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
I get that people are wanting to leave the large and previously good center that's nearby because it's under state sanctions, etc. (OT, but how much do you have annoy your inspector for them to note the condition of your ceiling tiles and the amount of crayon on the wall on your inspection report???), but why are they being hired at my center for all the lead teacher slots? Half our staff is now from that center and most of the rest of the half are from some of the worst centers in the area. I guess that's so when we're telling stories from our old centers about all the employees who used to show up drunk/high, they won't feel so bad about their old center?

But, seriously, for people who came from a center that was supposed to be superior, I have to do a lot of explaining about why it's important to know your head count and ratios. And that they should probably get off their cell phones. But, you know, they have experience at a superior center so they're getting the lead teacher spots...
We have an employee at my center who was sent to us because she had the choice of being fired from a sister school or transfer to our newly purchase center. She's now the Asst. Director. I feel ya.
DaveA 01:09 PM 08-18-2015
Well that was a great start to the school year: one DCM tells DCK wrong bus # to get on and apparently no one bothered to check and the other DCF forgot to mention Grandma was picking up at school for a 1st day treat. SO bus pulls up an neither DCK was on bus. Fun couple of minutes figuring out who was where.
Baby Beluga 01:45 PM 08-18-2015
New 2 year old DCK will not nap more then 30 minutes. As soon as she wakes she screams, bucks her body. Come to find out mom still nurses her to sleep and as soon as she wakes at home, mom gets her out of bed and nurses her again
Play Care 04:35 AM 08-20-2015
Back in June I reached out to new teacher mom and asked if she'd like summer drop in care. Was told they could not afford care in the summer AT ALL.
Fine.

Last night I get an email begging for care for today and tomorrow.

I am on VACATION this week as my regular, FT clients are away. In addition I am closed every Friday in July and August as my regular, FT clients are off on Friday. I offer teachers special pricing, but with that I am not going to knock myself out during breaks and vacations (for which they do not pay) It always amuses me that they are getting this significant discount and then are surprised when I don't rush to accommodate them (and all this is spelled out in the handbook)

Anyway my first thought "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
And I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.
Ariana 06:56 AM 08-20-2015
Does anyone else just really hate parents!! LOL The stuff I read on here, the things I have experienced I just think that people who leave their kids in care are the worst...give or take a few (who I have yet to meet!!).

I really hate feeling this way but I can't seem to find decent kids to care for and when I do interviews I can smell trouble a mile away. It is really sad that I just can't seem to make my home daycare work the way I want it to. I have interviewed with 4 different families and started 2 different kids since January and I have yet to find parents who care about their kids and kids who are "normal". I just had a visit with a family I am starting in September and the mom now informs me the girl is hitting. UGH. It's a new behavior apparently and she only hits mom. yeah right. So many parents just lie and lie and lie and lie.

I just want a couple of normal kids with normal parents! is that too much to ask?
MsLisa 06:57 AM 08-20-2015
Last 2 days of camp and these kids have had enough of each other. EVERY ONE of them were fighting this morning over the simplest stupidest things. Like wanting whatever toy someone else has, even though that toy has been sitting unplayed with for months. Now mysteriously everyone wants it. Simple game of Guess Who? Nope. They fought and blamed each other for cheating. The Wii got taken away cause they wouldn't play fair. They simply could not get on the bus fast enough for me.
I'm so burnt out and can not wait for my week vacation this coming week.

(This exactly happened on the last 2 days of school too...where everyone is just "done" and all hell breaks lose before we all part ways.)
childcaremom 07:49 AM 08-20-2015
Dcd is very overprotective of dcg. She just started a few months ago and had a super hard time adjusting.

The last month she is all smiles when she sees me and genuinely enjoys her day.

Today dcd dropped off, she reached out for me, and he was upset by this. I told him "Happy to come and happy to go home with you. That's how we want her."

Seriously. She is happy to come to daycare and you can go to work knowing that she is enjoying yourself. After listening to tons of crying during the adjustment period and not thinking it was going to work, I love this girlie like my own and am so glad I stuck it out! Let's enjoy the progress. Sheesh.
littletots 10:37 AM 08-20-2015
Childcare mom - glad to hear it will be smooth sailing now!
Annalee 12:02 PM 08-20-2015
Dcd is very overprotective of dcg. She just started a few months ago and had a super hard time adjusting.

The last month she is all smiles when she sees me and genuinely enjoys her day.

Today dcd dropped off, she reached out for me, and he was upset by this. I told him "Happy to come and happy to go home with you. That's how we want her."

Seriously. She is happy to come to daycare and you can go to work knowing that she is enjoying yourself. After listening to tons of crying during the adjustment period and not thinking it was going to work, I love this girlie like my own and am so glad I stuck it out! Let's enjoy the progress. Sheesh.
I have a new family with a 3 yr old and 8 mos old that are like this...after the third day, the children bounced in daycare with a smile..mom couldn't handle that...so she started the "I miss you" speech on the way to daycare each morning and now the 3 yr old is in tears when he gets here...I expressed how this is making the morning transition hard for xxxx...to which she replied "I know you think I am weird with my child-rearing"....uh, yeah you are weird! BTW, NO I didn't say that but I think my eyes did
Febby 06:56 PM 08-20-2015
I didn't sleep well last night which, of course, meant that in the afternoon when my class combined with the other three year old class, I got the new, not-very-good-yet pre-k aide. The other three year old class spends their days running around not listening to their teacher (except at nap, which is, interestingly enough, the only time I'll struggle with that group) so naturally they try to come into my room and trash it. It's to the point where come in the room, line up on the wall, and wait for me to tell them which table station to go to. I can't even trust these kids to just come in the room and sit down at a table. I have to individually direct each one of them. Which is what I'm going to start doing when I'm in their room at the beginning of lunch, too.
readingiskey 09:15 PM 08-20-2015
prayers to you <3
Play Care 06:12 AM 08-21-2015
When I first bought the magnetic tot locks, I purchased two different brands to try out. I bought the one because it said it was easy to install, the other because it looked more durable.
Of course the "easy to install" ones broke almost immediately so today I am replacing them with the other locks. But I misplaced the directions. And DH's tool box is a disaster will drill bits everywhere. So I'm trying to YouTube a how to video but still need to figure out if the drill bit is the correct size - because it was just loosely floating in the tool box.

I will have two 16 months olds in a few weeks so this has to happen today.
Play Care 06:16 AM 08-21-2015
And I kept being prompted to upgrade the laptop to Windows 10, and of course my laptop is acting up in the middle of the update
Baby Beluga 08:23 AM 08-21-2015
When I first bought the magnetic tot locks, I purchased two different brands to try out. I bought the one because it said it was easy to install, the other because it looked more durable.
Of course the "easy to install" ones broke almost immediately so today I am replacing them with the other locks. But I misplaced the directions. And DH's tool box is a disaster will drill bits everywhere. So I'm trying to YouTube a how to video but still need to figure out if the drill bit is the correct size - because it was just loosely floating in the tool box.

I will have two 16 months olds in a few weeks so this has to happen today.
Most drill bits have the size etched in on the bottom. It's usually in ittby bitty writing
Play Care 10:16 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Most drill bits have the size etched in on the bottom. It's usually in ittby bitty writing
Thanks! Not handy at all here

I finally did figure it out, but after a very embarrassing trip to the hardware store
littletots 10:59 AM 08-24-2015
My pet peeves dcp sitting child on kitchen counter when they sign log, dcp putting child shoes on kitchen counter or table, dcp carrying child old enough to walk like almost 5. Smh
Play Care 05:19 AM 08-26-2015
Not dc related but I live near a very historic, famous thoroughbred race track. The winner of the Triple Crown of horse racing will be here today to race in Saturdays big race (they are calling his flight here #airhorse1 ). The buzz is ridiculous. But my vent is I have to bring dd over there to see the orthodontist and I know traffic will be a nightmare.
Second Home 05:38 AM 08-26-2015
Dcm was told that she needed to arrange bus transportation to school , I even told her who to call . The bus shows up at the end of the school day and the bus driver tells me she is not authorized to let her off at my house as her home address is the only authorized drop off .

Today dcm shows up with notes for the bus driver and the teacher giving permission to have me as the after school drop off . Dcg probably does not have school today since she went yesterday and they have a staggered start for K ( only a few kids each day for the first week then the whole class on Monday) . So I put dcg on the bus like I was told to . I really hope dcm does not think that I will go and get dcg from school if she is not supposed to be there .

This should not be my responsibility I told dcm over and over the process for school .
Leigh 09:52 AM 08-26-2015
We had a trauma in our family a few days ago. I have a migraine. I have a slight fever. I'm OK when I'm with the kids, but when I'm around other adults this week, I have a hard time not crying. It's been a tough week. We're protective of our credit score, and this month we have been trying to figure out why both our house payment and our vehicle loan payment never cleared our bank (returned due to "no account"). No one will take responsibility for screwing up at the bank, and I have receipts showing that my bills were paid on time. So, of course, the food program rep shows up today (they visit about twice as often as they "have" to). She argued with me that I was over ratio. I told her I am not. She insists I am. This goes back and forth several times before she finally agrees to look up ratios. I'm UNDER my ratio, not at it. For both total kids and ages allowed. I am kind of ashamed of how I treated her-I was mean. If ever I needed a vacation-it's right now.
Play Care 10:01 AM 08-26-2015
We had a trauma in our family a few days ago. I have a migraine. I have a slight fever. I'm OK when I'm with the kids, but when I'm around other adults this week, I have a hard time not crying. It's been a tough week. We're protective of our credit score, and this month we have been trying to figure out why both our house payment and our vehicle loan payment never cleared our bank (returned due to "no account"). No one will take responsibility for screwing up at the bank, and I have receipts showing that my bills were paid on time. So, of course, the food program rep shows up today (they visit about twice as often as they "have" to). She argued with me that I was over ratio. I told her I am not. She insists I am. This goes back and forth several times before she finally agrees to look up ratios. I'm UNDER my ratio, not at it. For both total kids and ages allowed. I am kind of ashamed of how I treated her-I was mean. If ever I needed a vacation-it's right now.

Play Care 09:26 AM 08-29-2015
DH is having a mantrum because I refused to go/take our kids to a neighbors/dcb's birthday party today.

My allergies are horrible and it's an outside party. Every year I go and suffer. I've also taken our kids to several neighborhood birthday parties this year without him because he was golfing. I jokingly said something about reaching my quota for kids activities and he's guilt tripping me "I didn't think it was an inconvienence to do things with our kids" "I like spending time with my kids"

Basically he's being an a$$ and I'm ready to brain him.
Rockgirl 11:28 AM 08-29-2015
"I didn't think it was an inconvienence to do things with our kids" "I like spending time with my kids"
"Oh, wonderful, honey! Then you won't mind taking them to the party. Have fun!"
daycarediva 03:42 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:

Play Care 03:46 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by :
Well yeah that's the reply he got, but I'm annoyed I had to say anything at all. Especially considering I'm the one who has our kids all.the.time.
It's easy to think kid's activities are not inconvenient when you get plenty of "me" time weekly
Unregistered 04:33 AM 08-31-2015
You shouldn't mix friends and business. Slowly learning my lesson. Friend was suppose to pay on Friday money still isn't here today. I know I will get it eventually but my bills need to be paid on time not eventually...
Rockgirl 05:01 AM 08-31-2015
Well yeah that's the reply he got, but I'm annoyed I had to say anything at all. Especially considering I'm the one who has our kids all.the.time.
It's easy to think kid's activities are not inconvenient when you get plenty of "me" time weekly
So true. Ugh--I'm sorry.
ChelseaB 12:10 PM 08-31-2015
Grr so I have had one DCF for over a year now. But when I sent out my updated contract last week, I thought I could tell a huge difference in the DCM attitude. She wasn't as friendly as before, and she would barely speak to me. Then, today, 30 mins before her 2 SA kids were scheduled to arrive, she just called me to inform me that she and her husband had talked over the weekend, and they weren't going to bring the kids anymore; that they had instead decided to enroll them in the after school at the YMCA. Okay, thank you for the 2 weeks preferred notice that I've requested since the beginning. Oh, and no, I didn't change their rates, hours, anything; it was just updating policies and such that weren't a huge deal. I am so frustrated. She never even spoke to me about any issues to give the chance to fix them, if there were any. This is the first time this has happened, and this was a family I had signed from the beginning, before I enforced flat rates, deposits, etc. So now, I'm going to be stressed and financially strapped until I find another family. So much for mine and Hubby's anniversary weekend plans.
childcaremom 12:17 PM 09-02-2015
Dcb3 who is hit or miss for naps on Wed didn't today. He had to go to the bathroom and yelled for me, waking up dcg1 in the process. She cried for the remainder of rest period. He finally fell asleep with an hour remaining. Had a heck of a time waking him and he kept nodding off at the table. Crying if I looked at him. I think dcm will like how easy her bedtime is tonight

New dcf broke a policy already (day 3). Don't think it was intentional and just reminded them but still. Frustrating.

All dcks are cranky and tired.

A w e s o m e last hour of the day ahead.
daycarediva 04:43 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by ChelseaB:
Grr so I have had one DCF for over a year now. But when I sent out my updated contract last week, I thought I could tell a huge difference in the DCM attitude. She wasn't as friendly as before, and she would barely speak to me. Then, today, 30 mins before her 2 SA kids were scheduled to arrive, she just called me to inform me that she and her husband had talked over the weekend, and they weren't going to bring the kids anymore; that they had instead decided to enroll them in the after school at the YMCA. Okay, thank you for the 2 weeks preferred notice that I've requested since the beginning. Oh, and no, I didn't change their rates, hours, anything; it was just updating policies and such that weren't a huge deal. I am so frustrated. She never even spoke to me about any issues to give the chance to fix them, if there were any. This is the first time this has happened, and this was a family I had signed from the beginning, before I enforced flat rates, deposits, etc. So now, I'm going to be stressed and financially strapped until I find another family. So much for mine and Hubby's anniversary weekend plans.
2 weeks preferred notice? Change that! 2 weeks WRITTEN notice. accepted on Fridays only, payment for the final two weeks due when notice is given. OR take a two week deposit when they enroll. I'm sorry that happened to you.
Blackcat31 05:28 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
2 weeks preferred notice? Change that! 2 weeks WRITTEN notice. accepted on Fridays only, payment for the final two weeks due when notice is given. OR take a two week deposit when they enroll. I'm sorry that happened to you.
I too, am sorry that happened.

I actually require two weeks written notice submitted on Fridays only WITH payment for the final weeks of care.

That ^^ is PER child too... so two kids would have meant a MONTH'S notice.
hope 07:03 AM 09-03-2015
I have 2 families, both part time. One gave notice today because dcd lost his job. I have been interviewing lately with no luck. Going to take a part time job for night hours at a very low wage just to pull in some money. Feeling sad because I went into home daycare to be home with my children and now I will be gone from them most nights and will still be making very little after working two jobs.
ChelseaB 08:49 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Absolutely, that is something that I changed, part of the new contract that was given to this family. But since they were one of the first families I signed (before wisening up and making a contract, as well as requiring deposits and prepayment) they weren't under any obligation, unfortunately. When I first took them on, I just requested a 2 week notice, to which she verbally agreed. But it won't be happening again, that's for sure!! Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support!
Sunshine74 09:40 AM 09-03-2015
We are not having a very good nap day today. Our (very) challenging dcg has decided that today, when we have a brand new dcg who has never been in daycare before, that she is going to throw a huge tantrum at nap and keep half the room up. Our new dcg is just laying there starting at her with her eyes as big as saucers, looking scared.
Play Care 09:51 AM 09-03-2015
Today is the LAST day I'll have the SA kids all day.

Because I had two new littles start yesterday I made it clear to the kids that we were on our school schedule and there would be quiet time.

Guess how many times they asked if they could stay up, watch a movie, etc.

I am off tomorrow (my last Friday off for the summer ) and Monday for Labor Day. Tuesday the kids go back to school and I do this

I am sad to see my own kids go back - they were pretty good (mostly because we made age appropriate arrangements for them as I've encouraged mt clients to do all year long...)
Controlled Chaos 01:05 PM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
We are not having a very good nap day today. Our (very) challenging dcg has decided that today, when we have a brand new dcg who has never been in daycare before, that she is going to throw a huge tantrum at nap and keep half the room up. Our new dcg is just laying there starting at her with her eyes as big as saucers, looking scared.
I'm sorry

That was my yesterday. New dcb, never been in daycare before, my son (3) was TERRIBLE, I finally used my "scary whisper" and listed off every privilege he was going to lose, DS settled down and slept but poor dcb had the huge frightened eyes. Poor little dude.
MsLisa 03:19 PM 09-03-2015
...I don't know what I'm doing. And now my Sociophobia is amping up again.
Part of me want to be this amazing director who makes changes, handles and does amazing things. But the other part of me wants to bury myself in a hole cause I irrationally fear that I look like a joke.
Controlled Chaos 08:59 PM 09-03-2015
No hole hiding! You got this! This is your time to shine. Do your thing. I don't know you, but I am truly proud of you for get this position. You can always crawl under some blankets on your couch at the end of the night if you need some hole time but seriously - you can do this!
DaveA 03:46 AM 09-04-2015
...I don't know what I'm doing. And now my Sociophobia is amping up again.
Part of me want to be this amazing director who makes changes, handles and does amazing things. But the other part of me wants to bury myself in a hole cause I irrationally fear that I look like a joke.
You've got this. The transition is always like juggling chainsaws blindfolded, but you will get there. Like CC said, if you need to grab the blankets afterwards and decompress. But I wouldn't curl up in a hole- get a couple of chairs and use the blankets to make a tent.

Seriously- you can do it.
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33  ... Last
Reply Up