Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early morning volume
AuntTami 04:54 AM 07-22-2015
How do you guys keep the volume levels in check in the early mornings?

I have a DCM of a 1 year old who is naturally loud. She's always loud. But in the mornings, it's especially bad because there's no other noise to drown it out.

She drops off at 6:30 and has a 10 minute argument with him every morning on whether or not he's going to give her a kiss. It's a game to him and it's cute for the first 30 seconds. Then he starts getting whiny and loud which makes mom try to talk over him.

This morning I had an infant dropped off at 4:30. He finally fell back to sleep at 6:00. Loud mom just dropped off and woke up baby.

Help? How do I control the volume? My own DH is asleep when she comes, so even if she's not waking up the baby, she's waking up then rest of the house
DaveA 05:04 AM 07-22-2015
First- talk to DCM and remind her others in the house (both your own and other DCKs) are still sleeping so please talk softly. Also let her that drop off needs to go much quicker. As for DCK have some quiet toys that interest him out and ready to play with as a distraction.
Play Care 05:14 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
First- talk to DCM and remind her others in the house (both your own and other DCKs) are still sleeping so please talk softly. Also let her that drop off needs to go much quicker. As for DCK have some quiet toys that interest him out and ready to play with as a distraction.
This.

I don't allow early drops offs. I chose my opening time based on my own family needs.
AuntTami 05:36 AM 07-22-2015
DCK actually goes back to sleep, so he isn't even an issue. It's the 10 minute game they play that's a problem. Well, I mean, whatever. I honestly don't mind the longer drop off as I'm usuall sitting on the couch drinking coffee when she arrives so I just sit there until she's done. It's just the volume.

She's a former co-worker of my DH so it's a bit more personal of a relationship than the average client. Which I guess should make telling her to shut it, easier lol. Since they were pretty chummy when working together.

I also don't mind the early morning drop offs. DH and I don't have any children of our own and during the fall, winter and spring he's up and gone by 4am so it's not a problem then. Just the summer is his slow season at work so he goes in later. And all my kids go back to bed after arrival until 8am so it's not so bad.

I know I run my program different than most but it's what I've found that works for us so please, no bashing me about how they should be up and ready for the day at drop off. That just doesn't work for the group I have. They need to go back to sleep.
AmyKidsCo 05:39 AM 07-22-2015
Yup! And I'd post a sign "Shhh, children sleeping" by the sign-in as a reminder.
Play Care 05:40 AM 07-22-2015
Who's bashing?

I understand we all get to run our programs in a way that works for us. That is the beauty of being our own boss. I simply said I can't entertain early drop offs because I know the kids would come in raring to go and my own family would suffer.

Perhaps meeting mom in the driveway and taking baby with a short "bye, see you later" might work better than having her come in. This way baby comes in with you and goes right down?
BumbleBee 05:53 AM 07-22-2015
Bye Bye Outside might be an option if you're comfortable with that.

I have a dcm who is quite loud as well and haven't found something that works yet.

Perhaps picking up the child, having them give mom a quick kiss and hug then turning and walking away from mom? It's uncomfortable and I've never been able to do it without feeling extremely guilty. Though everybody is different and you may be more comfortable with doing that than I am.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:01 AM 07-22-2015
I have a sign on my door that says "Babies are sleeping, please knock softly" and then if you mimic the behavior you want, by talking in very quiet voice, she may get the hint. As for the drawn out goodbye, maybe just meet her at the door and then take the dck and say "bye mommy!" and start walking away? Hopefully, she would get the hint that it is time to go, but if not, you may just have to directly speak to her about it. You could suggest that she say her goodbyes on the porch and then knock when they are done and you will take dck inside.
AuntTami 06:03 AM 07-22-2015
No one is bashing Play Care, but I know sometimes that's the direction these questions go. :-) sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like I was talking about you. I just meant in general

Bye bye outside. I don't know why I've never thought of doing that. Just meet her on the deck then she can be loud but then I have to stand there for the whole "give me a kiss" game. She carries him in so I can't just pick him up and take him, unfortunately. I kinda have to wait for her to hand him off.
Play Care 06:09 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
No one is bashing Play Care, but I know sometimes that's the direction these questions go. :-) sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like I was talking about you. I just meant in general

Bye bye outside. I don't know why I've never thought of doing that. Just meet her on the deck then she can be loud but then I have to stand there for the whole "give me a kiss" game. She carries him in so I can't just pick him up and take him, unfortunately. I kinda have to wait for her to hand him off.
No worries, I just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't bashing
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 07-22-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:

In a friendly tone and with a smile at pick up:

"Hey DCM, I know it's hard to leave Johnny all day but would you mind saying your goodbye's in the car or outside before you come in and then just handing him off quickly? I have a DCK right now that is having some trouble staying asleep if there is any conversation or noise going on and he needs his sleep or the day is tough for everyone. Thanks, as a mom with a little one I knew you'd understand how important sleep is for little ones."
Reply Up