Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets in Daycare
kpa0627 06:36 AM 03-12-2010
SO, I'm having a big dilemma. My husband and I have a really good dog who is potty trained. The only thing is we live in an apartment that's on the second story so I can't leave the children during the day at all from 7am to 5pm to take my dog out on a leash to do his business. We have a potty patch out on our porch for now but sometimes he misses and it's just a mess. My question is.... is it ok to at least take him out during rest time when the kids are all either in their pack n plays or on cots? Any ideas.... please help!! Does anyone else have this problem????
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:55 AM 03-12-2010
nope sorry, never leave the kids,..e ver. but,... can you see your potty area from your door? if so get a LONG cable, tie him up stand on the threshhold and tell him to go potty. hold the other end. yank him back up. If not Sorry,.. I have a dog too, Love him like one of my kids,. he is spoiled beyond belief. I live in a house and he goes out in the yard. If I did this in an apartment,.. I would really have to think this out before either getting the dog or starting this profession. My opinion,... but dog peeing, or kids supervison,.. kids trump dog every time.
Persephone 07:03 AM 03-12-2010
Yeah, I agree not to leave the house while the kids are in there. I'd look for a long leash if you think that might work.

Maybe get another potty patch, so there is less area for him to miss. Or lay out a much of newspapers so that the mess stays on there when he misses.

How many children do you have there?
Unregistered 07:27 AM 03-12-2010
I agree the kids are more important than the dog peeing I just don't know what to do. I can't take him out at all during the day because we live on the second floor of an apartment. It wouldn't be an issue if we lived on the first floor because I could just stick him on a tie out leash or something. That's why we purchased the potty patch so during the day while I'm with the kids he can just go on the patch during the dy on the porch+
and we can clean it each night.... he just misses sometimes and I don't want big messes. So, I think I will maybe put a flattened box under the patch so when he does miss it will just get on there and we can replace the box ever so often.
missnikki 07:38 AM 03-12-2010
Take a walk with all the kids, and the dog. (If you have a stroller or older kids). If not, is there a neighborhood kid or teen who might want to earn ten bucks a week to walk the dog?
newtoeverything 07:41 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
if not, is there a neighborhood kid or teen who might want to earn ten bucks a week to walk the dog?
awesome idea!!!
melskids 07:42 AM 03-12-2010
if you take him out right before the first child comes, can he wait until the last child leaves? i thought i read somewhere that dogs can hold it for 12 hours.

if not, buy another potty patch to enlarge the area.

i agree, never leave the children. actually, where i am that would be against regs.
mac60 07:49 AM 03-12-2010
Don't know how your set up is, or where your steps are, your entrance etc. But is there any way to put a LONG rope or tie out that you could just open your door and hook her and let her go down the steps herself?

Just thinking outloud here, what if your only bathroom was on the second floor and your dc area was on the first floor.....how would the provider ever go pee through out the day?
AfterSchoolMom 02:18 PM 03-12-2010
Hahaha...I'm picturing you lowering your dog down from a balcony via a rope, fishing pole style.

Every area has dog walkers. Check Craigslist or ask around...often you can find someone to take your dog for a mid afternoon walk for a pretty affordable price.
Persephone 02:21 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Hahaha...I'm picturing you lowering your dog down from a balcony via a rope, fishing pole style.

Every area has dog walkers. Check Craigslist or ask around...often you can find someone to take your dog for a mid afternoon walk for a pretty affordable price.
LOL! that's funny!
SunflowerMama 03:55 AM 03-13-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
If not, is there a neighborhood kid or teen who might want to earn ten bucks a week to walk the dog?
This is what I was going to suggest. I'm not sure about your area but around here there are dog walking services that will come out and walk your dog for little or nothing. I've come across them before on Craigslist. Or like pp suggested you could just find a kid in the neighborhood to help out.
kpa0627 05:03 PM 03-13-2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to hire a dog walker. I am meeting her tomorrow at 11am and if everything goes well she will start walking our dog at 9 am and 1pm Monday through Friday for 15 minutes each time for $25 a week. I think that will help :-)
mac60 07:08 AM 03-14-2010
That is great. She will probably get a little attached to the dog and end up spending a "little more time". Glad you got it worked out.
ghostlykisses 10:17 AM 03-16-2010
I used to be a dog walker

If the dog walker does not work out maybe you could combine outside time with walking the dog. I used to have a shorter leash that I could attach to the side of my son's stroller (as long as your dog will not bolt and pull the stroller away from you).
Tags:animals, dogs, pets
Reply Up