Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Out Of Curiosity....
newtodaycare22 05:46 PM 02-01-2011
If you would like to share...

What's the most you've got back from taxes (since doing daycare)?
AnythingsPossible 06:49 AM 02-02-2011
Never more then $100.00.
lil angels 06:50 AM 02-02-2011
about 2,500.00 that is my average
Stacy214 06:51 AM 02-02-2011
Crap! I always end up paying
jen 06:54 AM 02-02-2011
Last year I got $6000...we have 3 kids, hubby always claims 0. I know that it is better to keep your money then let the gov have it interest free, but I am always a wreck that we will owe...
cillybean83 06:56 AM 02-02-2011
this year i'm get $7850, but it was my first year, i took a loss, we have 2 kids, hubby claims 0, we get child tax credit, earned income credit, and part of my tuition is a write off
lvt77 06:59 AM 02-02-2011
My first full year hubby claims 3 and I had to pay $4788.00
Also have 3 kids.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 02-02-2011
I don't think I have EVER got $$$$ back......
In my case though, I think it is because both DH and I are self-employed and I have no dependants to claim since they have flown the coop.... But even when they were little, we just never got anything back (a few $$$ for nice dinner out but nothing more...)

(VENT) ...On a side note, this is the time of year I start getting grumpy because I hear all my single moms who get state subsidy paid childcare yakking about their refunds of $5,000 or more and how they are going on a vacation or getting a new iphone, laptop, car, shopping spree...blah, blah, blah.....Of course they gotta run to H&R Block to do Rapid Refund because they couldn't possibly wait 2 weeks to get their money....even though Rapid Refund costs additional money and they didn't have two pennies to rub together days before this..... It just bugs me that I've worked my butt off my whole life and I have NEVER gotten thousands of dollars back to blow however I choose and then live off of all this state aide the rest of the year. Sorry.....didnt mean to rant. I am done now.
Lilbutterflie 07:16 AM 02-02-2011
Last year was our biggest refund EVER, a little over 10K thanks to the 8K first time home buyers credit. But we spent thousands of dollars moving from CA to TX, and then needed to buy all new appliances & light fixtures for our new home since it was a foreclosure & didn't come with any. That money was GONE! I was only in daycare for about 5 months in that year.
Little People 07:24 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my case though, I think it is because both DH and I are self-employed and I have no dependants to claim since they have flown the coop.... But even when they were little, we just never got anything back (a few $$$ for nice dinner out but nothing more...)

(VENT) ...On a side note, this is the time of year I start getting grumpy because I hear all my single moms who get state subsidy paid childcare yakking about their refunds of $5,000 or more and how they are going on a vacation or getting a new iphone, laptop, car, shopping spree...blah, blah, blah.....Of course they gotta run to H&R Block to do Rapid Refund because they couldn't possibly wait 2 weeks to get their money....even though Rapid Refund costs additional money and they didn't have two pennies to rub together days before this..... It just bugs me that I've worked my butt off my whole life and I have NEVER gotten thousands of dollars back to blow however I choose and then live off of all this state aide the rest of the year. Sorry.....didnt mean to rant. I am done now.
I will second this!! We always pay in! Same thing we have no children. We even had an additional $10.00 each every week taken out. My old job everyone but me & DH got all that wonderful money! haha, and I watched how they blew through it, no one ever saved a penny. They were all broke by the middle of March and complaining for any overtime! Then they all wondered last year when we bought a new house, a nice used Van fo 8k and all new lawn stuff. they could not understand..hummm, WE SAVED from our pay checks. We did not get so called "free money". These are the people that eat out everyday and me & DH packed a lunch. They would trade off kids SS# to friends and that friend would give then another 2k. This is what is wrong with our country!! people that ABUSE the system. Ok...I am done with my rant
cillybean83 07:30 AM 02-02-2011
it's really nice to get a refund, my hubby and i work our butts off all year so we *appreciate* our refund money! I get sick about it too when I see these dumb girls getting all this money and blowing through it on frivelous crap.

As soon as we see how much we will get in a refund, we budget it before the deposit hits our account so we know exactly where it's going...mostly to savings, bills, home repairs...grown up crap...this year we're using a little to go on a vacation to Chicago
Little People 07:40 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
it's really nice to get a refund, my hubby and i work our butts off all year so we *appreciate* our refund money! I get sick about it too when I see these dumb girls getting all this money and blowing through it on frivelous crap.

As soon as we see how much we will get in a refund, we budget it before the deposit hits our account so we know exactly where it's going...mostly to savings, bills, home repairs...grown up crap...this year we're using a little to go on a vacation to Chicago
cillybean, Good for you!! There are responsible people like you that use the money wisely. I know several people who get all the tax credits and deserve it. I just hate when people have husbands, but they file as seperated so they can get all this money back, they will have 3/4 children and use relatives to use one of their kids to again get more back or they use food stamps to buy crap and junk food or they buy T-bone steaks!! BURRRRR
Stacy214 07:45 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I honestly feel this way too....it does bug me. My kids are grown however I may just get a new tax guy this year, ugh. Need to do something different.
cillybean83 08:01 AM 02-02-2011
omg dont get me started on food stamps...i want to throw up when i see these girls with 3 kids in the grocery line, getting all brand name CRAP (frozen pizzas, frozen kid cuisines, lunchables, etc etc), then they pull their prada wallet out of their coach handbag (that of course matches their coach shoes and their coach phone carrier that contains their brand new iphone) and out pops the food stamp card!
Little People 08:03 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
omg dont get me started on food stamps...i want to throw up when i see these girls with 3 kids in the grocery line, getting all brand name CRAP (frozen pizzas, frozen kid cuisines, lunchables, etc etc), then they pull their prada wallet out of their coach handbag (that of course matches their coach shoes and their coach phone carrier that contains their brand new iphone) and out pops the food stamp card!
I hear you, I could go on and on too!!
newtodaycare22 08:46 AM 02-02-2011
Aren't taxes crazy...the responses are so varied about refunds/payments owed!

I asked this question because Turbo Tax is showing me a 8400 refund, which I'm ECSTATIC about. I'd be worried that I did something wrong but it seems right because....

1. I had a regular job half the year and paid taxes.
2. DH pays taxes all year (no kids).
3. We bought an Expedition for 7300 dollars (90% business use)
4.I spent 6400 on college tuition.
5. Start up costs (it's my first half year doing daycare)

I know I won't be this lucky next year...sorry to all of you who have to pay!
cillybean83 09:32 AM 02-02-2011
i used turbo tax too and got a 7850 refund, if you checked, checked, and double checked, then triple checked, you should be fine

I bought the extra audit protection though, just in case! lol
ninosqueridos 12:21 PM 02-02-2011
We owe a few thousand...but at least I'm a planner and put money away for it.
Unregistered 09:53 AM 02-16-2011
I got 7,000 b ack my first year, but now that Im in my 5th year I get bak around 1000.00 or so.
Debbie
TomCopeland 12:42 PM 02-16-2011
A general comment -
Comparing refunds is not useful because everyone's situation is different. If you got a $7,000 refund and I got a $25 refund that doesn't mean that you are better off than I. Maybe I saved money throughout the year that earned interest. Maybe you owe $10,000 on your car and I've paid off my car. And so on.

What matters is how well you are living and how well you are meeting your financial goals (savings, emergencies, retirement, college, etc.).

Join me for my webinar on February 28th "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011". I guarantee that you will save more in taxes than the cost of the webinar ($25). For more info: https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
safechner 01:00 PM 02-16-2011
I would guess we should get around $2300 this year but I am waiting for 2010 form 8829 from Turbo Tax. Normally, we got more than $2000 since 2004. My husband claims 4 and two kids. My husband used to have claim 0 in 2003 that we only got more than $7000 with two kids. In 2002, we got $6000 with one kid.
Jewels 05:40 AM 02-17-2011
This year we are getting $800 back, I got my income down to $8300, husband was claiming 2, and we have 2 children, this year he switched to claiming 0.
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 02-17-2011
We are getting $1850 this year, federal and state combined....this is the lowest ever, but we switched stuff around last year so we had more in our pocket during the year.

My tax vent, since I enjoyed the other pp's.... I have had two sets of parents in 5 years "divorce" (paper only) so they would not have to pay in to taxes (exempt) and STILL get refunds, free college, child care assistance and housing assistance.... How is this possible?

I am taxed extra and ineligible for college tuition assistance for being married, creating my own employment while providing a needed service and paying my bills on time?? Really? Grrr..

Tom. I do intend on attending your seminar...
DCMom 12:21 PM 02-17-2011
I don't worry about getting a refund ~ I just hope that my quarterly payments cover what they need to, give or take a few $100.
Tags:tax reimbursement, tax return
Reply Up