Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Suggestions For Constipated Toddlers?
cherryhill 09:54 AM 05-05-2011
I have this little guy that is so constipated he cries when he tries. His mom has given him prune juice, chocolate milk, apple juice anything she can think of.

Thanks
dEHmom 09:57 AM 05-05-2011
apple juice always did the trick here.

or sugar water. but i don't think you can give that to dck's????

chocolate milk is still milk, and milk makes it harder. i used to laugh at my boys, they always had hard turds because they drank so much milk, it would come out in little hard balls, and when you opened the diaper, if you weren't careful, you'd be chasing it.
Live and Learn 09:58 AM 05-05-2011
Fiber plus bars, veggies, flax seed oil.
Avoid dairy.
GretasLittleFriends 09:59 AM 05-05-2011
Light corn syrup. My daughter had constipation issues and I think I mixed in 1 or 2 Tbsp into her bottle. I honestly can't remember the "dosage". I just used clear Karo syrup, but any clear corn syrup should do the trick.

On a side note, maybe more roughage like lettuce, fruits, veggies and fiber. Or cut down on cheese, meat, peanut butter...
lil angels 09:59 AM 05-05-2011
I have a parent that uses medamucil for their child it is the same as for adults. Not sure how much she mixes it seems to work like a charm she gives it a couple times a week and it keeps everything flowing like it should. You would have to ask the pharmacy how much to give though they just mix it in juice and she doesn't know it is there.
momofboys 10:03 AM 05-05-2011
High fiber fruits/vegies: pears/grapes/lime beans/broccoli. . . has she tried Fiber One snacks/cereal or the powdered fiber sublements? Milk is constipating. Avoid bananas
Cat Herder 10:08 AM 05-05-2011
Hot chocolate and marshmallows

Then just have them push clear fluids.
kitkat 10:14 AM 05-05-2011
DD was having issues, even though we tried altering her diet. Dr. told us to do Milk of Magnesia. Then we ended up having to move up to Miralax. For Miralax it's half a capful mixed with 4-8oz of any beverage.

When I was pregnant, the nurse said to try apples and also graham crackers.
nannyde 10:36 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Hot chocolate and marshmallows

Then just have them push clear fluids.
Oh don't give away all of the old school fixes.

Stage three baby pears... large jar... divide into two feedings a day.
Cat Herder 10:46 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh don't give away all of the old school fixes.
I know, I know....

The absolute best fix is a consistent good diet, regular exercise and no pressure potty training. We all know that, right.

I just can't always get everyone on board.

Hot chocolate is good for the occasional quick fix when they are really miserable. They will be wired for a bit, but the relief is usually worth it.
tulip1969 11:13 AM 05-05-2011
I had a little boy who we tried EVERYTHING with. When he turned two the doctor told his mom to buy "Pedia Lax Fiber Gummies". They are made by "Fleet" and I think she buys them at CVS. These have been an absolute Godsend!! He loves them and they truly work!! She gave me a bottle to keep here and I give him one after naptime. She gives him another each morning.
blueclouds29 11:16 AM 05-05-2011
My daughter's 2 and she's been constipated since she was a baby. It got worse as she got older. Now we are giving her maralax in her milk EVERY morning and that seems to be working. Only problem.... she now holds her BMs in!!! Never ends...
dEHmom 11:16 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by tulip1969:
I had a little boy who we tried EVERYTHING with. When he turned two the doctor told his mom to buy "Pedia Lax Fiber Gummies". They are made by "Fleet" and I think she buys them at CVS. These have been an absolute Godsend!! He loves them and they truly work!! She gave me a bottle to keep here and I give him one after naptime. She gives him another each morning.
are these the same gummies a pp found out was the missing link to the diarrhea mystery?
Cat Herder 11:24 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
are these the same gummies a pp found out was the missing link to the diarrhea mystery?

Oh, you had to bring that up...

The nightmares had JUST stopped...

Stupid gummi bears.
wdmmom 01:29 PM 05-05-2011
Ask the mom about chiropractic care. I took my son at the onset of constipation and it worked like a charm!
Country Kids 01:33 PM 05-05-2011
Miralax or sugarless gum and candies work like a charm! Also cucumbers worked on one of my little girls or lots of corn.
Michael 01:45 PM 05-05-2011
Another thread on contsipation: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27957
Kaddidle Care 02:04 PM 05-05-2011
Liquids, liquids and more liquids. You could also try cutting up actual dried prunes. They are quite tasty and the little one just might like it.
jen2651 03:09 PM 05-05-2011
Fiber one bars helped my son. And he loved them!
dEHmom 04:38 AM 05-06-2011
I THOUGHT OF ANOTHER WAY!!!

it is THE BEST way to get stuff moving.

a smoke and a cup of coffee. now these must be done around the same time, otherwise, it won't work. it's an instant laxative

yayaya i know i know.

catherder...... i did bring it up. you are welcome
tulip1969 07:01 AM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I never read the "diarrhea mystery" post but my DKB definitely does NOT get diarrhea from the gummies. They make him go normally. If someone got diarrhea from them either the mom was giving him too many or the kid didn't really need them everyday to begin with.
Lilbutterflie 07:12 AM 05-06-2011
Basically anything with high fiber. Something my kids really like is Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Holy cow that will clear anyone's system! And it's super tasty. Sometimes though, no matter what tricks you try or how much fiber and fluids they are taking in; it's still just not enough.

My DD was constipated from about 8 months to 4 years old. The doctor told us some children just need a little extra help with Miralax mixed in their drinks every day until they outgrow it. Miralax works really well; but it really should be something that's okay'd by the doctor. It's not a laxative at all; it helps their bowels to take in more water so that their stools are not as compact and hard.

I hope the parents do something really quick; b/c once it gets to the point that they are crying from the pain; they will start to hold it in b/c they associate going #2 with pain. It happened with my DD. Gosh, there is nothing worse than sitting with a child on the potty encouraging them to go when you just KNOW how bad it hurts! Ugh, gives me goose pimples to think back about those moments. Anyway, after she would have a constipation episode, we would slightly increase her Miralax dose (doctor recommended) which made it impossible for her to hold it in. Then, once she was going regularly again, we would continue Miralax every day with the lower dose to keep her system regular.
QualiTcare 07:15 AM 05-06-2011
MIRALAX!

my son had to have surgery to repair a hydrocele when he was 2. it was already there, but was agitated from straining/constipation. the doctor told me to give him a spoonful of miralax every day (you mix it into any drink and it's flavorless). i asked how long he could take it and she said forever if he needed to. it's not a laxative - it's a softener.

i use it too. it's the only thing that has ever REALLY worked with no side effects. i swear by it.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by tulip1969:
I never read the "diarrhea mystery" post but my DKB definitely does NOT get diarrhea from the gummies. They make him go normally. If someone got diarrhea from them either the mom was giving him too many or the kid didn't really need them everyday to begin with.
No.....they were not the laxatives. They were generic gummi vitamins that one of my DCM's bought for the other moms as well since they were on sale and strategically placed next to the diapers (NOW we know why).

This occurred after I sent home toddler nutrition information. Apparently I ASKED for it....

My house still has this lingering fog and I still occasionally see the buzzards hovering.
Christian Mother 12:11 PM 05-06-2011
I have a little guy who is always constipated so his mother said the doctor recommends his having 3 diff. things of fiber a day at 3grams. You can also use Flax seeds in there food to. Pears, grapes, raisins...those seemed to work. If that doesn't help in the morning when she brings him she puts Miralax in his juice cup. Today he's already pooped twice.
Tags:constipation
Reply Up