Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Word...
Hunni Bee 05:21 PM 10-27-2011
...a letter to the mother of a child who needs speech therapy?

I have a little guy, who will be 4 in Jan. His thought process, inflection, sentence structure is all great, but he cannot form the words properly in his mouth. Everything starts with a "d" with him.

"I need to go to the bathroom" from him sounds like "I deed doo doe doo da daffroom".

I feel like his mom would be on deck with it, but since we transport him to and from home, I hardly ever see her. And I could call her, but I want record that I made her aware of this, and when.

The speech therapist could come to the center, with no problem. Other than saying "Dear Ms. Jones, Jonny needs speech therapy", how could I word it?
SilverSabre25 05:27 PM 10-27-2011
Try and find some sort of generic milestone evaluation or something, and observe him with it. Then you could word the letter--

Dear Mrs. Jones,

In light of Johnny approaching his birthday, we administered a general developmental evaluation. He's doing great in most areas, especially [strength] and [other strength].

We noticed, however, that he needs some work on his pronunciation and feel that it would be best if he were evaluated further by a trained speech therapist.

(The rest of the letter can say whatever you need it to...need her permission, whatever)
joy 07:59 PM 10-31-2011
Don't use a letter to tell her, ask her if you could speak to her before or after class. Be sure to have resources for her. This was not addressed when he was younger?
wdmmom 08:47 AM 11-01-2011
I would speak to the mother in person.

I would tell her that you really think Johnny could benefit from the resources speech therapy has to offer and ask if she'd be interested in her son receiving services.

Go on to mention that he/she would come there or you would transport. An added line might be, "Johnny can utilize this service and it doesn't cost you any more than you are already paying!"
Hunni Bee 10:18 AM 11-01-2011
My first choice would be to speak to her in person but we transport and I don't see her very often. I could do a note asking her to call me...
caligirl 01:16 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
...a letter to the mother of a child who needs speech therapy?

I have a little guy, who will be 4 in Jan. His thought process, inflection, sentence structure is all great, but he cannot form the words properly in his mouth. Everything starts with a "d" with him.

"I need to go to the bathroom" from him sounds like "I deed doo doe doo da daffroom".
I had a little girl with the same speech impediment. .... mom is a teacher......she wasn't concerned when I brought it up (same age as your little guy there).....but then, this mom likes to ignore 'issues'......
Tags:speech therapist
Reply Up