Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of Fan Do You Use In The Daycare Area?
Unregistered 04:42 AM 06-24-2013
In my house, we use window ACs to keep cool. I'd like to set up a fan in the nap room to keep the cool air moving around the room. It gets hot, because the AC blows directly out the door. What kind of fan do you use? What's safe for kids? I want to use a standing fan that oscillates, but not sure if its safe.
Rachel 05:00 AM 06-24-2013
I have a ceiling fan in the living room and the small room where the kids sleep.
countrymom 05:08 AM 06-24-2013
ceiling fans
Lianne 05:32 AM 06-24-2013
I have three window units in my small 800sq ft house but I don't have them all running at the same time. I try and rotate which one is on to give the others a break. One of the units is a portable one, set up in the playroom. We'll see how long it will stay there depending on if the kids touch it or not. If I have to, I'll move it to the livingroom window (playroom is attached to the living room). There's a window unit in my kitchen and one in the middle bedroom.

I have two small fans, one sits on my desk in the living room and one on the counter in the kitchen. I also have a table top oscillating fan that I move depending on where it's needed. During the day it's in the living room to help with air flow and at night I use it in my bedroom.

Keeping the blinds closed and the doors shut helps tremendously although after 8mos of winter, I hate having the house closed up. I run the washer/dryer at night and try to do my cooking first thing in the morning, at night or use the crockpot over night
blandino 05:53 AM 06-24-2013
We have AC, but we also have ceiling fans in every room, and use those to hopefully keep it cool without running the AC as much.

I put the ceiling fan on it's highest setting, while the big kids are napping. And where the infants nap, I have a dual tower fan pointed at their PNPs. They only nap in that area, so I don't have to worry about little fingers.

We have one room that the AC doesn't Cool very well, so we may have to add a window unit. We have a thermometer to make sure the rooms stay within the temps required by licensing. Sometimes it may be hotter than we would prefer, but licensing only requires that it is cooler than 80 degrees, so for economy's sake it may be 78/80 when it is 100+ outside.
countrymom 06:16 AM 06-24-2013
I do have window ones in the upstairs room, I live in a 2 story old old home and it just doesn't cool the bedrooms down and I need my kids to sleep good. I talked with my other daycare parents (cause they all own 2 story homes) and they all had to put window ones in.
JoseyJo 06:23 AM 06-24-2013
We use Lasko Multi-Purpose Pivoting Utility Fan U12100 from Walmart. We can't have ceiling fans w/ our house insurance. They put out a lot of air and the way the are made fingers absolutely cannot reach the moving parts.
MarinaVanessa 07:59 AM 06-24-2013
We have ceiling fans also.
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 06-24-2013
I have a giant air conditioner (window unit) that is like 25,000 BTU's and has a plug-in (220V) like a kitchen stove has.....it's HUGE!

It cools my entire daycare house (1600+ sq feet).

I got it new in the box - actually "traded" services with one of my daycare families for it....BEST trade ever as the unit costs around $1000.

I don't use any other fans, especially standing fans as the risk of one of the kids touching the plug-in or knocking the fan over or sticking their hand in it is just too much for my comfort level.

I don't have ceiling fans either.

My AC unit has a fan built in so that is all it needs to spread the cooler air around.
Reply Up