Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Things Up
Lianne 10:46 AM 08-11-2013
Around the start of each new school year, I get the itch to change my playroom around completely. I'm already starting to get the itch but I'm still in the mulling it over stage. My group this fall, so far, will be 2-2.5yrs old. I only ever have 5 children, at the most, according to my regulations. What toys or activities (big and small) would you have out and accessible for them for free play?
Familycare71 10:57 AM 08-11-2013
That is what I'm supposed to be working on- right now! Currently it is a hot mess and not safe for tomorrow...
I am actually going to pick up a play kitchen in a bit- it is one of those toys I feel like kids of all ages love and tends to occupy well! Also little people is a huge favorite here! I also offer: blocks, plastic animals, doctor/baby stuff, tools and cars and trains. I have others but those are my most used toys and are great for independent and group play.
My plan (right now anyway) is to have my changing dresser( super long and holds all the spare clothes, diapers and personal supplies kids have plus blankets, sheets and baby carriers) on my small wall, then a kitchen area, book area, and my bins of other toys. I haven't decided if I will have a little people area or keep them like they are now in a toy bin(no houses and big accessories offered)- it will probably depend on space. I will also have my pre-school cork board up. I also purchased the foam "puzzle" flooring instead of a rug- easily cleaned and soft on little knees (and mine ).
Oh- I am also going to use my file cabinet for all my magnet letters! Super excited I thought of this as they are a favorite but I can get them off my fridge
The waffle blocks and probably wood blocks will remain in my living room (in storage ottomans) for when we have to be in there
Let me know what ideas you come up with!
Lianne 05:18 AM 08-12-2013
My play area is pretty small, which will horrify some, I'm sure. My living room is 10x9 and the playroom (former bedroom right off the living room) is 9x8. Yesterday I switched things around and put the toys in the living room and my living room into the smaller room. I kind of like it, actually.

I rotate which Little People set I have out and I have a kitchen but they don't really play with it. They usually play with the food and dishes on the floor but the kitchen looks good and parents like seeing it, lol.

I also have lego, wooden blocks, trains and cars, a magnetic toy set, peg boards, books, the food and dishes, dolls in a doll bed and a Step2 molded train table.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:49 AM 08-12-2013
I rotate my toys. I always have out several manipulatives. Right now I have out my kitchen with one set of food (I rotate food items also) I have out a bucket of manipulatives that I can't even describe! They are round and the edges will fit together like gears but stay together ... anyway those with other parts that go with them, Wooden blocks, a bin with toddler friendly cars. puppets, yellow duplos are still out from last week, bin of books and a shape sorter. That is it.

I think that when I rotate them they stay happier Some toys have to stay out for certain kidlets but for the most part they all get rotated at some point.
Reply Up