Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unsolicited Advice
Baby Beluga 10:44 AM 10-09-2018
Do you give it to your clients?

I always teeter on whether to give it or not. I don't want to come across judgy, or like a know-it-all, but sometimes I feel like what I have to share might really help a parent child.

My current situation: typical child who always has a diaper rash on Monday, it goes away mid-week and returns with another one on Monday. Parents have never said he is prone to diaper rashes...but he always has one! I closed yesterday and the one he has today is really bad.

I have regular desitin here, and they use it at home as well, but clearly it is not working. I wanted to suggest resinol cream. Simply because it worked wonders for those hard to treat diaper rashes for my son, and other parents have sworn by it as well.

Share, keep to myself?
Baby Beluga 10:46 AM 10-09-2018
Well, it's clear that I cannot spell. BC, can you edit the thread title to "unsolicited advice" for me please?
MyAngels 11:05 AM 10-09-2018
In this case I'd definitely mention the cream and suggest they give it a try. For me it depends on the situation as to whether I'd give unsolicited advice - parenting style? Nope - helpful products? For sure.
sharlan 11:16 AM 10-09-2018
If he's showing up on Monday with a diaper rash it's more they're not changing often enough rather than the diaper cream.

I doubt I would say anything.
Cat Herder 11:19 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
If he's showing up on Monday with a diaper rash it's more they're not changing often enough rather than the diaper cream.

This or spending a lot of time in confinement equipment (carseats, shopping carts, high chairs). It is also possible they are not giving enough water.

I'd probably leave it until they asked or send home a sample of my favorite cream to spark the conversation.
happymom 11:22 AM 10-09-2018
Diaper rashes make me so sad. I would suggest the cream
Ac114 12:12 PM 10-09-2018

I agree with this 100%
hwichlaz 12:18 PM 10-09-2018
I'd have a conference with them about the rash. That's just plain mean of them to allow that to happen...

I'd call it a brainstorming session....and try to come across as very non judgemental....and make sure they know it can turn into a lethal staph infection if it continues.
Baby Beluga 01:17 PM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This or spending a lot of time in confinement equipment (carseats, shopping carts, high chairs). It is also possible they are not giving enough water.

I'd probably leave it until they asked or send home a sample of my favorite cream to spark the conversation.
It's interesting you mention this. Child's diaper is usually dry for about the first 1 to 2 scheduled changes here and I usually have to remind him multiple times to drink water. When he does he does it very very slowly. His skin is also dry and rough.
Ariana 02:01 PM 10-09-2018
I definitely do give advice especially with this kind of stuff. Kid had a diaper rash and to me it looked like yeast so I used Canesten and told mom where to buy it etc. I think I just have that kind of personality where I will say it. As for actual parenting advice I don’t give it unless it is asked for or it is a problem that is majorly impacting my day. I just focus on what is happening at my house, not theirs and I learned thag from this forum!
jenboo 07:00 AM 10-10-2018
I had a similar situation where the kids rash was so bad, I made the family take him to the dr. The dr recommended they use a cream with zinc. Of course the family picked the cream with the least amount they could find
At least I tried
daycarediva 11:01 AM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
It's interesting you mention this. Child's diaper is usually dry for about the first 1 to 2 scheduled changes here and I usually have to remind him multiple times to drink water. When he does he does it very very slowly. His skin is also dry and rough.
I have two like this and they always have a rash, too!!! I feel like a monster. DRINK YOUR WATER. all day long. I get the rash clear, they go home, boom, rash.
Baby Beluga 11:07 AM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have two like this and they always have a rash, too!!! I feel like a monster. DRINK YOUR WATER. all day long. I get the rash clear, they go home, boom, rash.
It's so weird. I really pushed water yesterday and coated him with a thick coat of cream all day. Today his rash is so much better. I'd say 75% gone when yesterday it was on the verge of bleeding.
daycarediva 11:23 AM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
It's so weird. I really pushed water yesterday and coated him with a thick coat of cream all day. Today his rash is so much better. I'd say 75% gone when yesterday it was on the verge of bleeding.
SAME HERE! I use a good thick coat of butt paste or high zinc desitin EVERY change. Of course, these two are my chronic poopers. So I'm sure the parents just don't catch it as fast as we do.
Gemma 06:03 AM 10-11-2018

This^^^
Or they might change enough but don't properly wipe after a BM ...I see that a lot, but I don't say anything! I just take care of it myself shortly after the parent leaves
knoxmomof2 03:53 PM 10-12-2018
A diaper rash is something I would mention at pick up anyway - poops/ pees, injuries, oddities are what I cover anyway. I want to cover my butt and mention "hey, his bottom was red so I slathered on the cream you sent" or "her bottom was red, but I don't have anything here for her....." Then you've acknowledged a problem and how you dealt with it. It's then up to them to send supplies or whatever. So, every Monday "looks like the rash is back. I kept the cream on it." If they ever say "yeah, I don't know what's causing it..." That's an in right there. If they don't though and I have a suggestion, I give it. I only wouldn't if they're the type that won't listen.
Tags:diaper rash - chronic, rash
Reply Up