Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are There Regulations To Follow When You Are Not Registered?
legomom922 08:16 PM 10-28-2010
From what I understand, in my state, you can have up to 2 kids without being registred and I guess they call it being informal care. I was just wondering though, if there are any rules or regulations that we are suppose to follow or are we just suppose to wing it and make up our own? Like I do not require a health immunzation form, because the state is not watching me or over seeing what I do, but does that mean I do not need one? That was just a example, but ya know, just stuff like that. Anyone know?
Michael 08:57 PM 10-28-2010
That would depend on the state you reside in: https://www.daycare.com/states.html
QualiTcare 09:47 PM 10-28-2010
well, if you aren't licensed then you don't have to follow the rules set by licensing obviously. technically, you're a "babysitter."

since you are keeping kids on a regular basis though, i think it's smart to still have a contract. you should have a consent form signed by the parent(s) incase of a medical emergency that gives you consent to take them to the doctor. i typed up something and gave consent even for my mother when i went on vacation. it's just smart to cover your bases, but as far as meals, naps, etc - there are no "regulations."
mac60 02:45 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
well, if you aren't licensed then you don't have to follow the rules set by licensing obviously. technically, you're a "babysitter."

since you are keeping kids on a regular basis though, i think it's smart to still have a contract. you should have a consent form signed by the parent(s) incase of a medical emergency that gives you consent to take them to the doctor. i typed up something and gave consent even for my mother when i went on vacation. it's just smart to cover your bases, but as far as meals, naps, etc - there are no "regulations."
Just because a person isn't licensed does not technically mean you are a "Babysitter". Seriously, I am much more than that....Just like I am sure many many others on here are also. Just because someone is not licensed does not put them in the "Babysitter" category. I run a safe, loving structured environment with a preschool program. I put a lot of time, effort and money into my program, and just because I am not licensed does not put me in the "Babysitter" category. Please.
JenNJ 03:12 AM 10-29-2010
I am not registered. In my state I can keep up to 5 kids not including my own before needing to be registered. I follow all the same rules as a registered provider. I also have contracts with clients and tons of paperwork on each family/child. I agree 100% with Mac60.
BentleysBands 03:14 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Just because a person isn't licensed does not technically mean you are a "Babysitter". Seriously, I am much more than that....Just like I am sure many many others on here are also. Just because someone is not licensed does not put them in the "Babysitter" category. I run a safe, loving structured environment with a preschool program. I put a lot of time, effort and money into my program, and just because I am not licensed does not put me in the "Babysitter" category. Please.
100% agree!!

i, too, am not licensed and VERY proud i go over and beyond a 'babysitter'
QualiTcare 03:21 AM 10-29-2010
mac, i wasn't licensed either - by choice. HENCE, the word "technically."

TECHNICALLY, if a person is not licensed, they are held to the same standards as a babysitter. trust me, i got paid much, much more than a babysitter, but in the eyes of the law - if you are not licensed, you are no more than a babysitter - like it or not.
BentleysBands 03:29 AM 10-29-2010
mac, i wasn't licensed either - by choice. HENCE, the word "technically."

TECHNICALLY, if a person is not licensed, they are held to the same standards as a babysitter. trust me, i got paid much, much more than a babysitter, but in the eyes of the law - if you are not licensed, you are no more than a babysitter - like it or not.
not true either...i pay taxes just like a licensed provider, claim the same deductions except the food program...I am a daycare provider...its all in how you portray yourself and run your business IMO...and i techincally run a much better program than a lot of so called licensed providers in my area. i just have the freedom of not having the state breathing down my neck for stupid stuff
QualiTcare 03:52 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
not true either...i pay taxes just like a licensed provider, claim the same deductions except the food program...I am a daycare provider...its all in how you portray yourself and run your business IMO...and i techincally run a much better program than a lot of so called licensed providers in my area. i just have the freedom of not having the state breathing down my neck for stupid stuff
nobody is denying that - not even me, but legally, u are NOT a daycare provider.

what do you call someone who watches kids that is not a daycare provider? a babysitter.

i'm a licensed teacher who kept children without having a license to run a daycare. i charged more than any daycare in my area that i know of. it doesn't matter that i'm a teacher to the state - if i'm not a licensed DAYCARE then TECHNICALLY, i'm babysitting.
BentleysBands 04:01 AM 10-29-2010
nobody is denying that - not even me, but legally, u are NOT a daycare provider.

what do you call someone who watches kids that is not a daycare provider? a babysitter.

i'm a licensed teacher who kept children without having a license to run a daycare. i charged more than any daycare in my area that i know of. it doesn't matter that i'm a teacher to the state - if i'm not a licensed DAYCARE then TECHNICALLY, i'm babysitting.
whatever u say, i'm not argueing about it
mac60 04:05 AM 10-29-2010
Seriously, show me where is says that to be a "daycare provider" vs "babysitter" you have to be licensed.
QualiTcare 04:12 AM 10-29-2010
seriously, you keep forgetting that word "technically."

why do you think these regulations are in place? if they weren't, then EVERYONE could say they were "babysitting" whether they had 1 kid or 15 kids.

in the eyes of the law, if you are not licensed, you are not held to any higher standards than a babysitter is!

i am saying this as a licensed teacher who spent four years of my life in college (i know that'll get to ya) and ran an UNLICENSED "daycare" because i wasn't required to be licensed.

if someone walked in on you as an unlicensed "daycare provider" you would not be held to any higher standards than my sixteen year old niece who was babysitting! except, oh yeah, nobody would walk in on you - or her - bc u aren't licensed and aren't held to any standards!
BentleysBands 04:12 AM 10-29-2010
Seriously, show me where is says that to be a "daycare provider" vs "babysitter" you have to be licensed.
i like this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/67....-babysitters/
QualiTcare 04:19 AM 10-29-2010
i like this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/67....-babysitters/
this was the first paragraph of that BLOG you posted - and i wonder if you think it sheds daycare in a positive light?

"Although most daycare facilities will accept babies, they may not be able to give the individual attention that parents hope for. Daycares also typically charge more for a baby than for an older child. The provider will have several children to watch and entertain in a daycare, and your baby may be in a playpen or swing for most of the day, and not carried around as you might do. The possible lack of attention during the day may lead to a fussy or clingy baby in the evening. A babysitter will be able to focus completely on a baby, which may be a better situation."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/67...#ixzz13kQEB7CQ

not such a good source to support your case.
BentleysBands 04:21 AM 10-29-2010
it comes down to this mac...if you arent licensed, or just a babysitter your nothing i guess....
BentleysBands 04:23 AM 10-29-2010
this was the first paragraph of that BLOG you posted - and i wonder if you think it sheds daycare in a positive light?

"Although most daycare facilities will accept babies, they may not be able to give the individual attention that parents hope for. Daycares also typically charge more for a baby than for an older child. The provider will have several children to watch and entertain in a daycare, and your baby may be in a playpen or swing for most of the day, and not carried around as you might do. The possible lack of attention during the day may lead to a fussy or clingy baby in the evening. A babysitter will be able to focus completely on a baby, which may be a better situation."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/67...#ixzz13kQEB7CQ

not such a good source to support your case.
imo...it does...i cant provide that one on one attention since i have many children because i'm a daycare provider
BentleysBands 04:25 AM 10-29-2010
I'm done...cant get blood from a turnip

we each have a different opinion so I agree to disagree
QualiTcare 04:28 AM 10-29-2010
imo...it does...i cant provide that one on one attention since i have many children because i'm a daycare provider
okay, if you're cool with being accused of leaving kids in a playpen of a swing all day, and not giving them enough attention - call yourself a daycare provider all you want.

i can be looked up on the state's website as a teacher fit to teach in any classroom in my state, but when keeping children in my home without being licensed - i'm not held to any higher standards than a BABYSITTER and that's how i liked it. if you don't like being held to lower standards TECHNICALLY in the eyes of the law, then become a childcare provider. until then, your standards are not set any higher than a teenager watching a kid.
QualiTcare 04:35 AM 10-29-2010

and you can't get licensing standards from a person that provides "informal care," "babysitting services," or whatever else you would like to call it. that was the question.
BentleysBands 04:41 AM 10-29-2010
for someone w/over 24 yrs experience , HIGHLY recommended, awesome references and an excellent preschool program...feel free to slam me
and compare me to a teenage babysitter...whatever makes you feel good
QualiTcare 04:43 AM 10-29-2010

drip, drip
BentleysBands 04:44 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
From what I understand, in my state, you can have up to 2 kids without being registred and I guess they call it being informal care. I was just wondering though, if there are any rules or regulations that we are suppose to follow or are we just suppose to wing it and make up our own? Like I do not require a health immunzation form, because the state is not watching me or over seeing what I do, but does that mean I do not need one? That was just a example, but ya know, just stuff like that. Anyone know?
I would check around w/your state and other providers in your area as to what they may do. i personally run my DAYCARE just as any licensed person would do ieaperwork,contracts,schedulings,meals,etc....mainly to keep parents from using me and protecting myself for any reason. I also use the funshine express curriculum (i no longer purchase but use their monthly themes,etc and then google the appropriate activities)
legomom922 04:51 AM 10-29-2010
In my opinion, a "babysitter" is a teenager or someone who watches a child "ocassionaly" while parents go out for a night, and doesn't have to claim her income.

A child care provider, is someone who watches children for living, on a regular basis and claims her income.

To me, the difference between a registred/licensed childcare provider and a unregistred/unlicensed childcare provider, is only the amount of kids they can have in their care.

Just because my state says that if I have 2 kids, I don't need a license, doesn't make me any less of a "childcare provider". The reasons why I assume the state doesnt require check ups and regulations on unregistred providers, is that because of the amount of kids in that providers care.

Now, can we get back to MY question?? The only reason why I wanted to know if there are any regulations at all on unregistred providers, is because I have one mom who has not turned in her contract, and her enrollment forms including the immunization form, and I want to be able to tell her I HAVE to have these things! She thinks (and she is a friend) because I am not registred and I am her friend, that I don't truly NEED these things and that they don't pretain to her. See, the problem is, I used to watch her baby when I was not in "business" so it was very casual and I had no rules, no forms, etc. She left for about 8 months, and now I am in "buisness" and she's confused I guess..If she insisits I dont really need those things, and if I really dont, I dont have a leg to stand on..Know what I mean?
QualiTcare 04:55 AM 10-29-2010
In my opinion, a "babysitter" is a teenager or someone who watches a child "ocassionaly" while parents go out for a night, and doesn't have to claim her income.

A child care provider, is someone who watches children for living, on a regular basis and claims her income.

To me, the difference between a registred/licensed childcare provider and a unregistred/unlicensed childcare provider, is only the amount of kids they can have in their care.

Just because my state says that if I have 2 kids, I don't need a license, doesn't make me any less of a "childcare provider". The reasons why I assume the state doesnt require check ups and regulations on unregistred providers, is that because of the amount of kids in that providers care.

Now, can we get back to MY question?? The only reason why I wanted to know if there are any regulations at all on unregistred providers, is because I have one mom who has not turned in her contract, and her enrollment forms including the immunization form, and I want to be able to tell her I HAVE to have these things! She thinks (and she is a friend) because I am not registred and I am her friend, that I don't truly NEED these things and that they don't pretain to her. See, the problem is, I used to watch her baby when I was not in "business" so it was very casual and I had no rules, no forms, etc. She left for about 8 months, and now I am in "buisness" and she's confused I guess..If she insisits I dont really need those things, and if I really dont, I dont have a leg to stand on..Know what I mean?
i did answer your question - the answer was "no, you aren't REQUIRED to have anything more than a babysitter would be, but it would be wise to." - or something like that.
legomom922 05:13 AM 10-29-2010
There are rules for a "legally exempt" provider...what is the difference between a legally exempt provider and a informal care provider then?
BentleysBands 05:13 AM 10-29-2010

totally agree and very well said...i posted something in ref to your question
QualiTcare 05:22 AM 10-29-2010
There are rules for a "legally exempt" provider...what is the difference between a legally exempt provider and a informal care provider then?
do the families you keep receive chilcare assistance through the state? i don't see why you'd be classified as legally exempt otherwise. if you were receiving money from the state, i would think they would have provided you with information about any policies the may have - which are not anywhere near the same as being licensed.

if you are not licensed and you are not keeping more children than your state allows, you aren't held to any regulations by the state! the state only regulates LICENSED providers or UNLICENSED providers who are breaking the law. i don't see what the confusion is.
mac60 05:27 AM 10-29-2010
In my opinion, and probably other's here too. A daycare provider and a baby sitter are different. A babysitter is typically a person that is younger, is hired on a here to there basis, comes into the homes of the families to care for their children while the parents go out. A daycare provider is typically an adult that is running a business, has a regular schedule, pays taxes, keeps records, has some type of program, licensed or not depending on the state regs.
TGT09 05:29 AM 10-29-2010
I'm not licensed either (and I don't have to be) but my state does have one rule/law that I have to follow. "No more than 6 kids at one time and no more than 3 of those can be under the age of 2."

It does depend on your state though. I would definitely check out your jobs and family services website.

FYI- I'm fairly certain that no one SITS ON BABIES here!
QualiTcare 05:32 AM 10-29-2010
In my opinion, and probably other's here too. A daycare provider and a baby sitter are different. A babysitter is typically a person that is younger, is hired on a here to there basis, comes into the homes of the families to care for their children while the parents go out. A daycare provider is typically an adult that is running a business, has a regular schedule, pays taxes, keeps records, has some type of program, licensed or not depending on the state regs.
you're exactly right. that wasn't the point. the point was - and this is what was stated - you are not held to any different or higher standards or regulations than a babysitter if you are not licensed.

if that is not true, please tell me who regulates you?
legomom922 05:35 AM 10-29-2010
do the families you keep receive chilcare assistance through the state? i don't see why you'd be classified as legally exempt otherwise. if you were receiving money from the state, i would think they would have provided you with information about any policies the may have - which are not anywhere near the same as being licensed.

if you are not licensed and you are not keeping more children than your state allows, you aren't held to any regulations by the state! the state only regulates LICENSED providers or UNLICENSED providers who are breaking the law. i don't see what the confusion is.
There is no confusion..I am asking what is a legally exempt provider? I dont know what the difference is between the 2.. Are you saying a legally exempt provider is a informal care provider who gets money from the state? why would they get money from the state? I'm trying to learn something here..
mac60 05:35 AM 10-29-2010
The state regulates us, we can be audited, reported, spied upon at any time, the only difference is we don't have that piece of paper hanging on the wall.
QualiTcare 05:38 AM 10-29-2010
The state regulates us, we can be audited, reported, spied upon at any time, the only difference is we don't have that piece of paper hanging on the wall.
so, if you're no different, then why not just hang that "piece of paper" on the wall?

there IS a difference.
Unregistered 05:39 AM 10-29-2010
Heres something i found:

Legally Exempt Child Care Providers for children from only 1 or 2 families.
These providers are not required to be registered with the state but may choose to go through a simple authorization process. Going through this process enables the care giver to receive payment from the state child care subsidy program (for a qualifying child in their care). There are no training requirements for these providers

In my state if you are not licensed you can not accept state payments from families.
mac60 05:41 AM 10-29-2010
so, if you're no different, then why not just hang that "piece of paper" on the wall?

there IS a difference.
Because in our state we don't need that piece of paper to operate a Loving, Caring, Learning environment Home Daycare Business.
Lilbutterflie 05:41 AM 10-29-2010
I am LISTED with the state of Texas, which means I can care for up to 3 kids other than my own. My husband and I underwent a background check to get listed, and now I'm legal to watch children that are unrelated. No rules to follow. But, if someone files a complaint against me, I'll be subject to inspections... so I assume that means I have to start following regulations if I get a complaint.
Unregistered 05:43 AM 10-29-2010

there IS a difference.

QualiTcare: maybe being licensed is wonderful for you and I applaud you for it however you really need to stop bashing those who choose to not be or are not required to be. You are no better than the next but you are really coming across as tho you have a "higher than tho" attitude.

We all have our own opinions on how to run our businesses, lets just get along . If you don't agree with something just pass it and move along.
QualiTcare 05:45 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Heres something i found:

Legally Exempt Child Care Providers for children from only 1 or 2 families.
These providers are not required to be registered with the state but may choose to go through a simple authorization process. Going through this process enables the care giver to receive payment from the state child care subsidy program (for a qualifying child in their care). There are no training requirements for these providers

In my state if you are not licensed you can not accept state payments from families.
when i was working as a teller i cashed checks for a lady who got paid by the state to watch her grandchildren, but it could vary by state.
Unregistered 05:47 AM 10-29-2010
then maybe you should go back to bank telling since u are so argumentive and spend way too much time on the computer when you should be watching the kids...
momma2girls 05:47 AM 10-29-2010
I remember a long time ago, someone wrote on here- WE DO NOT SIT ON THE BABIES(babysit) THe babysitters(teenagers) in this area, make way more money an hr. or an evening, than I could ever imagine making!! I know it's different what the going rate is for childcare providers and babysitters(teenagers)
QualiTcare 05:48 AM 10-29-2010
QualiTcare: maybe being licensed is wonderful for you and I applaud you for it however you really need to stop bashing those who choose to not be or are not required to be. You are no better than the next but you are really coming across as tho you have a "higher than tho" attitude.

We all have our own opinions on how to run our businesses, lets just get along . If you don't agree with something just pass it and move along.
where did you ever get the idea i was licensed? just because i understand that there are no regulations for unlicensed providers, informal providers, babysitters - or whatever the PC term may be - doesn't mean i am or was licensed. in fact, i said i wasn't.
QualiTcare 05:50 AM 10-29-2010
then maybe you should go back to bank telling since u are so argumentive and spend way too much time on the computer when you should be watching the kids...
i love opening posts from our very own who like to hide. cute!

i don't watch kids - dig deeper.
momofboys 05:54 AM 10-29-2010

If you don't watch children any longer why do you bother coming to this forum & harrassing those of us who do? Get a life!
Unregistered 05:55 AM 10-29-2010

thank GOD you dont watch kids!!!! the world is a much better place now!!

another: why are you a moderator on a daycare forum and you dont even operate a daycare?!?! and for some reason, its always those who arent in the business who know it all!!
BentleysBands 05:56 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
If you don't watch children any longer why do you bother coming to this forum & harrassing those of us who do? Get a life!
:l: thats FUNNY!!!!
QualiTcare 06:21 AM 10-29-2010
thank GOD you dont watch kids!!!! the world is a much better place now!!

another: why are you a moderator on a daycare forum and you dont even operate a daycare?!?! and for some reason, its always those who arent in the business who know it all!!
i'm not in the business of watching kids any longer. i moved on up to the much more profitable and respectable business of teaching them. but - not only do i need a life - i need more money - so i moved on out of that business too.
legomom922 06:22 AM 10-29-2010
Oh my gosh! Will you guys stop?? You are confusing me more!!

Now what is getting "listed" mean when you are a informal care giver??

I want to make sure I'm doing what I am supposed to be doing, and now I am finding out there are all of these other terms out there!

Please stop bickering, this is not a debate about what a babysitter is! Just tell me, what the differences are between:

Being listed
Informal Caregiver
Legally exempt Caregiver
I already know about being registred/liscensed!
QualiTcare 06:23 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
it's ironic how people take the term "babysitting" offensively, but are fine with the term "watching kids."
Unregistered 06:24 AM 10-29-2010
[quote=QualiTcare;54011]i'm not in the business of watching kids any longer. i moved on up to the much more profitable and respectable business of teaching them. but - not only do i need a life - i need more money - so i moved on out of that business too. [/QUOT

become a politician or lawyer since u know so much about nOTHING...

legomom, try googling the terms to help or visit your states DSS website
QualiTcare 06:26 AM 10-29-2010
[quote=Unregistered;54018]
i'm not in the business of watching kids any longer. i moved on up to the much more profitable and respectable business of teaching them. but - not only do i need a life - i need more money - so i moved on out of that business too. [/QUOT

become a politician or lawyer since u know so much about nOTHING...

legomom, try googling the terms to help or visit your states DSS website
lawyer is later in life - i have another profession to take on before that.

i know you.
Unregistered 06:27 AM 10-29-2010
maybe this will help you lego mom

http://www.health.state.ny.us/health...icaid/ldss.htm
momofboys 06:28 AM 10-29-2010
Oh my gosh! Will you guys stop?? You are confusing me more!!

Now what is getting "listed" mean when you are a informal care giver??

I want to make sure I'm doing what I am supposed to be doing, and now I am finding out there are all of these other terms out there!

Please stop bickering, this is not a debate about what a babysitter is! Just tell me, what the differences are between:

Being listed
Informal Caregiver
Legally exempt Caregiver
I already know about being registred/liscensed!
It really varies depending on what state you are in. In my state (Ohio) you can be simply registered or licensed. There are more complex procedures to follow if you choose to be licensed. I honestly don't know what is involved in being a legally exempt provider. To be totally honest I have never heard of it.
Crystal 07:53 AM 10-29-2010
[quote=QualiTcare;54022]

lawyer is later in life - i have another profession to take on before that.

i know you.
I know who it is too....funny she is posting in the same thread as a member AND as a guest
QualiTcare 08:45 AM 10-29-2010
[quote=Crystal;54055]

I know who it is too....funny she is posting in the same thread as a member AND as a guest
u know what they say - desperate times call from drastic measures
Tags:regulations, unregistered
Closed Thread Up