Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can Only Say...
Miss A 08:46 AM 12-13-2016
"Go play" so many times to the same little guy before I start to lose my mind.

Kid is 2.5, only child a SAHM. She entertains him all day long, except for the 8 hours a week I have him. We do tons of activities and floor time, but there is still time that I am needed elsewhere, and can not entertain him. He just follows me, or sits in a corner staring at me sucking his thumb. I feel bad, but I have started to ignore him when he follows me after I attempt to redirect him, hoping he gets the hint. He still hasn't.
Play Care 09:05 AM 12-13-2016
Maybe setting him up in a specific spot before you have to move on? I use my table a lot for kids like this, mainly because they have to be buckled in their boosters and can't follow me around. This enables me to get what I need to get done more quickly so then I can re-focus on the kids.
But yeah, I had one of those before. It's tough!
Pestle 09:06 AM 12-13-2016
It sounds like you're the only one who's uncomfortable with this arrangement. Maybe he doesn't need to be entertained all the time. Is it hurting anything for him to sit quietly and observe you? Maybe he's not the type of child who has the stamina to keep up with a full day of exciting activities. And since he's used to grown-up company, maybe he's learning more from you than he is from the kids his own age. Nothing wrong with that, either!

I'm from a family of introverts; we all grew up playing quietly by ourselves and still act that way. Family get-togethers are like visiting a monastery. And that's how we like it. I hated summer camp and other heavily-structured day-long events. "Go play. Go have fun. Don't you want to have FUN?!" Please, I'm exhausted from all this "fun." Let me recharge for a while.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 12-13-2016
I agree with the above posters.

I would set him up with something BEFORE you leave the area.

I would allow him to do nothing but sit and watch if he chooses to.

The ONLY thing I would not allow him to do is follow me.
I simply cannot have a child follow me around all day.
It creates the need to for others to do so and poses a danger to my required tasks so that part would drive me bonkers but the rest... I'd just let him be.
daycarediva 09:44 AM 12-13-2016
ALL of my current kids are like this. They eyeball my every move. I've learned to ignore it. I DO redirect them they follow me. Dh says I look like a mother duck with ducklings outside.

They cannot entertain themselves. I made 'play dice'. I have them roll it, and then they go to that center (just a foam die that I hot glued centers onto). I now just ask them to roll the play dice, and point to that center.

It isn't being introverted, they all have very different personalities and only one would I call introverted. They're all just entertained or played WITH at home. It's a level the parents cannot maintain. Which is why I have SAHM children enrolled FT.
Miss A 09:50 AM 12-13-2016
I've tried setting him up in a center, tried quiet activities for him to do alone, he just does not have interest in them.

I am totally fine if he wants to sit and observe, that I do not mind at all. If that is how he learns best, I am all for it. I am not for the following me around, and that is where I am trying to redirect him.
JackandJill 10:15 AM 12-13-2016
I have had a few kids like this. I don't know your set up, but baby gates are always great for followers.

I have the play space gated, so if I have to go do something down the hall (my space allows me to still see into the play area) I can't be followed. This allows me to change diapers, prep meals and set up crafts without anyone following me.

Sometimes they will sit at the gate and watch, and sometimes they wonder off to play. But it gives me those few minutes of space to get something done and maintain my sanity!!
Tags:won't stay engaged
Reply Up