Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where To Start
Recie 09:59 AM 06-18-2012
I know Ive posted many times about how I am currently taking my CDA classes and still working at my desk job but I have another question . Hubby decided to start in our own house with the daycare. What are the "core" items that I need to purchase to start me off?
cheerfuldom 10:07 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Recie:
I know Ive posted many times about how I am currently taking my CDA classes and still working at my desk job but I have another question . Hubby decided to start in our own house with the daycare. What are the "core" items that I need to purchase to start me off?
Do you have anything at all for use with kids in your home? or are we starting from scratch?

Do you know if you will be getting licensed? Do you know how many kids you are wanting to take and what space you will have to use? their own space or will it be using your own living space for multiple uses?
Heidi 10:56 AM 06-18-2012
-a place for children to eat, preferably a child sized table with seating for 6-8. If you are taking younger ones, skip the high chairs and find a few clip on chairs. You can feed them in a car seat or similar thing until they are on finger foods, then move them to the "family table"

-a place for each child to sleep. I don't know what the regs are in your state, but I like to keep mine in portable playpens until the last possible second. I also have sleep sacks for the toddlers so they can't climb out.

-child sized cups, plates, and utensils

-a variety of toys and some decent storage. you need manipulatives, blocks, dramatic play, a few soft items, and a lot of cars to start.

-a place to store the children's extra clothes, to hang their coats and put their shoes, and a place to change their diapers in a sanitary manner.

-outdoor play items: balls, riding toys, something to climb on..later you can add a sandbox if you want, or other items.

I would start combing garage sales for furniture such as portable cribs, a changing table or something similar, decent toys (stay away from blinking, flashing, anything batter operated), a toy kitchen, dress up clothes like old hats or scarves (remember, no long ones....), old shoes (smaller sized ladies evening shoes beat the plastic dress up shoes), purses (again, no long handles). A mirror is nice for dress up, too.

If you're a "star" or fccers state, stay away from barbies, army toys, toy guns, etc, or anything that has a commercial face on it...you know, Dora, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. As it is, a lot of that stuff isn't all that sturdy, anyway.

Look for sturdy!

does that help?
Recie 11:16 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do you have anything at all for use with kids in your home? or are we starting from scratch?

Do you know if you will be getting licensed? Do you know how many kids you are wanting to take and what space you will have to use? their own space or will it be using your own living space for multiple uses?
yes ill be getting licensed. i think i want to start small and work my way up you know. im planning on getting a house that has a den. i want a living room to the living room and a seperate space for the kiddies.
Recie 11:18 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
-a place for children to eat, preferably a child sized table with seating for 6-8. If you are taking younger ones, skip the high chairs and find a few clip on chairs. You can feed them in a car seat or similar thing until they are on finger foods, then move them to the "family table"

-a place for each child to sleep. I don't know what the regs are in your state, but I like to keep mine in portable playpens until the last possible second. I also have sleep sacks for the toddlers so they can't climb out.

-child sized cups, plates, and utensils

-a variety of toys and some decent storage. you need manipulatives, blocks, dramatic play, a few soft items, and a lot of cars to start.

-a place to store the children's extra clothes, to hang their coats and put their shoes, and a place to change their diapers in a sanitary manner.

-outdoor play items: balls, riding toys, something to climb on..later you can add a sandbox if you want, or other items.

I would start combing garage sales for furniture such as portable cribs, a changing table or something similar, decent toys (stay away from blinking, flashing, anything batter operated), a toy kitchen, dress up clothes like old hats or scarves (remember, no long ones....), old shoes (smaller sized ladies evening shoes beat the plastic dress up shoes), purses (again, no long handles). A mirror is nice for dress up, too.

If you're a "star" or fccers state, stay away from barbies, army toys, toy guns, etc, or anything that has a commercial face on it...you know, Dora, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. As it is, a lot of that stuff isn't all that sturdy, anyway.

Look for sturdy!

does that help?
this is a GREAT list! random question why no barbies? im going to start with the garage sales before it turns cold.
daycare 11:19 AM 06-18-2012
yes ill be getting licensed. i think i want to start small and work my way up you know. im planning on getting a house that has a den. i want a living room to the living room and a seperate space for the kiddies.
I would start with the LIC requirements and find out what you need to do to your home to pass the LIC inspection.

will you offer a preschool program or just babysitting services?
Recie 11:21 AM 06-18-2012
I would love to have preschoolers do a preschool program! But it was called to my attention that itll be many "families" (different ages) that might over look that type of care so ill have some thinking to do.
cheerfuldom 11:32 AM 06-18-2012
I would love to have preschoolers do a preschool program! But it was called to my attention that itll be many "families" (different ages) that might over look that type of care so ill have some thinking to do.
well what I do is a very loose curriculum, or learning time, with children at an age appropriate level. They participate as they are able to and as they want to. I dont require all the kids to sit down and HAVE to participate, especially that kids that cant because they are too young. So my 4 year old is already writing because she is very motivated to learn. The two 3 year olds (just turned 3) work on a letter and a number per day, play based lessons, and educational activities versus a specific curriculum and this works for them because they are more interested in having fun then in sitting down and doing curriculum.
Recie 11:34 AM 06-18-2012
thats exactly what id like to do i know most 3yr olds arent going to sit. id do the play based learning and circle time and things like that.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 06-18-2012
this is a GREAT list! random question why no barbies? im going to start with the garage sales before it turns cold.
Barbies are one of those things that require YOU to do all the dressing, snappingand buttoning

Can you help get her arm in here, her leg here, this hat on her, Oh no! her head fell off, Can you do it?..........

Pass on the Barbies because IME, I don't want to play Barbies but seem to HAVE to be involved or they stay naked.

I just don't think they are very age appropriate unless you have older girls who will always help the younger ones.
Recie 11:52 AM 06-18-2012
oh!!!! gotcha! Wow I never thought about it like that. They arent that bendy are they? lol
Tags:barbie, cda, mattel, start up, supplies list
Reply Up