Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sectioning Playroom FAIL
DancingQueen 06:46 AM 12-08-2010
So I took your suggestions and turned shelves and kitchens to create areas.

It was a disaster. Things just got dumped over. It became a game to my little destroyer and I ended up putting things back flat to the wall and since then it has been easier. But I really MISS the sectioned spaces. It was great for many reasons but one in particular was nap time.
They laid on their mats and couldn't see eachother and keep eachother awake.LOL because a shelf or kitchen was in the way. I really miss that.

I'd love suggestions that don't include me tethering MYSELF to my 2 destroyers.
Reply
DCMomOf3 06:56 AM 12-08-2010
I haven't found sectioned off areas to work yet either. The open concept is the best layout for my space, at least the best I've found. You are right though, there are a lot of good things that come with defined spaces though that I miss.
Reply
Crystal 07:15 AM 12-08-2010
When I first created "centers" it took some it me for the children to be able to handle it. But, with time, and redirection, they learned the rules and it is awesome for many reasons.

Their play is more focused and there are less interruptions....for instance, the block play occurs in an enclosed space, so their structures don't get knocked down by playing children, they can kick back and read in the cozy corner without being trampled and there is nose buffers, etc. Of course, like you said, napping is much easier as well.

But, for some groups and some spaces, it doesn't work. Sorry it didn't work out for you
Reply
marniewon 07:31 AM 12-08-2010
I'd never be able to find it, but I remember reading something on here where someone used pvc pipe and fabric (sheets maybe?) to construct sections for nap time, so the kids couldn't see each other. That won't help make sectioned play areas, but could be handy for nap time
Reply
PB&J 08:00 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Crystal:
When I first created "centers" it took some it me for the children to be able to handle it. But, with time, and redirection, they learned the rules and it is awesome for many reasons.

Their play is more focused and there are less interruptions....for instance, the block play occurs in an enclosed space, so their structures don't get knocked down by playing children, they can kick back and read in the cozy corner without being trampled and there is nose buffers, etc. Of course, like you said, napping is much easier as well.


But, for some groups and some spaces, it doesn't work. Sorry it didn't work out for you
I know this post is extremely old … but it’s an issue that is currently throwing a wrench in our days. Our “quality” mentor says that we shouldn’t (can’t?) stop kids from moving things out of one center to another, since it allows kids to explore and experiment. They should be able to take blocks from the block center over to the book nook to build walls or tables…or to the sand table to build dams …. They should be able to take food toys from the kitchen into the block area to build a restaurant … they should be able to take dress up items to the arts center to draw as a doctor … etc etc. Do you allow this kind of cross play (or, experimentation and brain building), or do you require things to stay in the center they “belong” to?
Reply
Cat Herder 08:06 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I know this post is extremely old … but it’s an issue that is currently throwing a wrench in our days. Our “quality” mentor says that we shouldn’t (can’t?) stop kids from moving things out of one center to another, since it allows kids to explore and experiment. They should be able to take blocks from the block center over to the book nook to build walls or tables…or to the sand table to build dams …. They should be able to take food toys from the kitchen into the block area to build a restaurant … they should be able to take dress up items to the arts center to draw as a doctor … etc etc. Do you allow this kind of cross play (or, experimentation and brain building), or do you require things to stay in the center they “belong” to?
I allow cross play since all toys have to go in the bin after being played with for cleaning and disinfection daily, anyway.

With COVID regs I made the centers individual, one per child to stop cross contamination. They rotate centers per day, now. I don't know for sure when I will stop this practice as it has been a really nice change of pace. They play more engaged and creatively when there all day (minus group, nap, outdoor and meal times) vs rotating every 30-60 minutes or straight up rogue play as suggested.
Reply
PB&J 08:14 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I allow cross play since all toys have to go in the bin after being played with for cleaning and disinfection daily, anyway.

With COVID regs I made the centers individual, one per child to stop cross contamination. They rotate centers per day, now. I don't know for sure when I will stop this practice as it has been a really nice change of pace. They play more engaged and creatively when there all day (minus group, nap, outdoor and meal times) vs rotating every 30-60 minutes or straight up rogue play as suggested.
How does that work? We have 12 kids in one room. Would we have 12 art centers, 12 kitchens, 12 dress up bins, etc? With limited supplies, how did you decide who gets which costumes or foods? Would each kid play at the kitchen alone for a set of time, with the kitchen wiped down between uses? I think you’ve mentioned that each of your kids gets their own sectioned space to play; do you have duplicates of everything, centers in each space? I’m just trying to figure out how to adapt that plan.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:20 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
How does that work? We have 12 kids in one room. Would we have 12 art centers, 12 kitchens, 12 dress up bins, etc? With limited supplies, how did you decide who gets which costumes or foods? Would each kid play at the kitchen alone for a set of time, with the kitchen wiped down between uses? I think you’ve mentioned that each of your kids gets their own sectioned space to play; do you have duplicates of everything, centers in each space? I’m just trying to figure out how to adapt that plan.
I have 6 kids (max allowed), 6 play centers. With 12 I would just buddy them up each day, 2 per, rotating friends. It still cuts down transmission greatly and allows for creative play.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:45 AM 06-11-2021
Continued:

*Free play in centers accounts for about 3/10 hours per day in three different periods. The rest of the day is moving to the playground, field play, water play, family room for movies, kitchen for meals, mats for nap, library for story/circle times, decks for sensory bins/clay, etc.
Reply
Jo123ABC 01:30 AM 06-12-2021
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I'd never be able to find it, but I remember reading something on here where someone used pvc pipe and fabric (sheets maybe?) to construct sections for nap time, so the kids couldn't see each other. That won't help make sectioned play areas, but could be handy for nap time
Brilliant! I just found an old school room divider screen thingy at a rummage sale. It is ugly and needs a facelift but I set it up between my two toddlers today and it worked! I've been wanting some for a while but they are pricey. I never would have thought of the sheet setup and I like to sew so this is something I could probably make!
Reply
Tags:play centers, playroom centers, playroom layout, room divider
Reply Up