Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Does After Schoolers?
shelby 11:36 AM 08-22-2013
I already have one afterschooler, and maybe three more. (two will just be two days a week). My husband says its not worth the money... But, I homeschool my kids so for me this would be good for me. I already have one during the day until she returns to her mom, and I will be getting a newborn when she is born in Nov..

Is afterschoolers worth the time?
craftymissbeth 11:39 AM 08-22-2013
I personally cannot do mixed age groups like that. It's not a licensing thing; it's a I know the point where my sanity ends and insanity begins

For me personally, SA children mixed with littles is very difficult.

There are providers here with much more patience than me that will have good ideas for you.

Good luck!
Familycare71 01:42 PM 08-22-2013
I do after schoolers but I guess I am not sure what your asking... It is the most $ I make per hour to watch them.
The most difficult part is when everyone is not up from nap when they come home because despite being shhhhed they are just noisy!
Also keeping littles quiet while they do homework can be hard too.
It is something you get used to balancing over time but I will say 3:30-5:30 is the most stressful part of my day. And I HATE half days off!
mom2many 02:03 PM 08-22-2013
I charge top dollar for my s/a. They take a spot so I need to be compensated. During the summer vacation or on days off from school they pay the same rate, so I have consistent pay and this has worked well for me.

I charge $40/ day for infants & pre schoolers and $30 a day for the s/a.

Most of the s/a have been with me since they were infants or preschoolers. I enjoy the variety of ages and it also makes it nice having a much smaller group in the morning for preschool time.
Maria2013 07:03 PM 08-22-2013
I used to do before and after school, now I have 1 school age kid during vacations and over the summer the rest of the kids are 0-4yr ...I find it much easier
Familycare71 07:42 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I charge top dollar for my s/a. They take a spot so I need to be compensated. During the summer vacation or on days off from school they pay the same rate, so I have consistent pay and this has worked well for me.

I charge $40/ day for infants & pre schoolers and $30 a day for the s/a.

Most of the s/a have been with me since they were infants or preschoolers. I enjoy the variety of ages and it also makes it nice having a much smaller group in the morning for preschool time.
I wish I could charge that!!!
Play Care 05:13 AM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I wish I could charge that!!!
Me too! But I am thankful our state allows two designated "school aged" spots. I would hate to be in a state where the after schoolers count in your all day ratio.

Of course, I have a sixth spot this year because all my kiddos are over 2, and that is going to one of my dcb's who is starting K. But I wouldn't want that spot filled with a FT younger child anyway.
Tags:after school care, mixed ages
Reply Up