Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adjusting my Own DS to Starting Daycare
justgettingstarted 04:10 PM 08-08-2011
My husband is worried that my son will have a hard time adjusting to having a daycare in our home. I realize it might be a little rough at first but think overall it will be a great learning experience for him. He's 1 1/2 and has been going to another daycare for a couple of months with no problems. He hasn't hit those terrible twos yet so he doesn't mind sharing if I ask him to but it may be completely different when its in his own playroom and his toys that he's never had to share (we don't have any other baby's in our families). I guess I'm looking for tips on how to transition him and stories on how it went for any of you that were in my current situation. I thought of possibly taking his favorite toys or buying some new special toys that would be just for him and would be kept in his room but I'm not sure if that would make it worse, perhaps by placing emphasis on "his" toys vs. "everyone's". Thanks for your thoughts!
JaydensMommy 04:22 PM 08-08-2011
My ds is 4 years old and I just started my daycare in May. But I used to work at a center and took my son there with me since he was 1 1/2. So he learned to play well with the other children, but it was different to have the kids here in our home. He did very well sharing his toys. But we do tell him that he is allowed to keep HIS toys in his room and those are just his but if he brings them out while the other children are here he does have to share. So far it works out well that way. And he absolutely LOVES the daycare and every morning he asks me if the daycare kids are coming, even on weekends.
shana 07:38 PM 08-08-2011
I have always had daycare kids, my oldest is fourteen.started so she could be with mom all day. I thought it was important for my kids to not feel invaded. so I get toys that are just for daycare and I tell my llittle one(3yrold boy is only one not in school now), this toy is for daycare but you can play with it... Also he keeps "his toys" in his room but if he brings it out he has to share. He has one "best buddy" thats been with us two years and he cannt wait to show and share new toys with him but I remind him that this means all the kids can have a turn...no problems yet..worked then and now.
cheerfuldom 08:13 PM 08-08-2011
It is different when its in their own home and its their mommy that they have to share. There is no way to say for sure how he would react to it but the good thing is that he is used to other kids already and you have this forum to get advice from as each issue arises.
Tags:provider - own child, provider children
Reply Up