Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>14 Weeks...Not That I Am Counting Down or Anything...
PolkaTots 08:02 AM 02-12-2013
I made the tough decision, ok, it wasn't that hard, to go back to school. My youngest will be leaving for kindergarten next year, and I was contemplating to keep my daycare open or not. I have had a lot of great families in these last 5 years, but I have had my equal share of less than desirable families as well. After terming a problem family last week (due to tylenol doping for the 5th time, late pays, late pick ups, and disregard to days I close or close early), and the nasty reaction I received back from the DCM...that was the final straw. I turned in my application for the radiology program here on Thursday...and received notice yesterday that I got in!!! Classes begin May 20th...so in 14 weeks, I will begin a new chapter in my life, and am very excited! Of course I will miss the kiddos, but there are plenty of things I won't miss

So now I am debating on when exactly to tell the families...I don't want to tell them too soon and risk the loss of income...but I want them to have enough time to find a good provider too. These are great families, and I would like to remain friendly after I close. I have told one family I have had for 4 years, because their mother is a teacher and were terminating care at that time since their youngest is also going to kindergarten next year. Is 30 days sufficient notice?
Loveyoustinkyface 08:05 AM 02-12-2013
I believe 30 days is plenty of time! Good luck with college!
momofboys 08:27 AM 02-12-2013
Good luck! I think 2-3 weeks is plenty!
daycarediva 09:33 AM 02-12-2013
I think 30 days is plenty! I would be prepared(and plan for) all/most of them to leave sooner.

I would probably type up a form that they need to sign and return (and give them a copy) stating when your final day will be, and that if they chose to leave before said date they still need to abide by the contract and give their two week notice? That way they ALL can't just jump ship on you, kwim?
PolkaTots 09:37 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I think 30 days is plenty! I would be prepared(and plan for) all/most of them to leave sooner.

I would probably type up a form that they need to sign and return (and give them a copy) stating when your final day will be, and that if they chose to leave before said date they still need to abide by the contract and give their two week notice? That way they ALL can't just jump ship on you, kwim?
Good idea...I require a 30 day notice, so that's why I was giving them the same. But I like the idea of typing up a form to make sure they know they still have to abide by the contract and not jump ship before. Thanks! Hmm...now to figure out the best way to word it...
Starburst 09:45 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
Thanks! Hmm...now to figure out the best way to word it...
You wanna be truthful but still keep it possitive. Try something like:
"Dear DCFs,
The past 5 years of owning my own daycare/preschool have been a blast. But as much as I have enjoyed it, I feel it is not my true calling and that something is leading me to another path. I have been accepted to the ________ radiology program/school. As much as I loved working with all of you and your families I need to follow my dreams; just like I teach all the children in my program, as well as my own. My last day of business will be xx/xx/2013. If you have any questions please feel to ask. I am deeply sorry for any inconvienince this may cause you.
Yours truly/Sincerly, Provider X"

I think that is a good amount of time, most providers only give 2 weeks notice. but that gives them enough time to check out several different places and maybe you can even recommend a few providers (if you know any). Maybe on the last day you can have a mini good bye party and give the kids a little gift like a photo album.

Good luck with school and your new career
bunnyslippers 09:55 AM 02-12-2013
I have 19 more weeks until I close...but 2 of those are school vacation weeks...so I have 17 more weeks to work. 17 Mondays...I can do that!

I have already told my families. They are all teacher families, so I know they will stick it out until the end of the school year. I wanted to give them as much information as i could up front.

If I were a "regular" daycare, I would probably give 30 days notice. By contract, I am required to give 2 weeks. The need for care here is pretty high, so I want to give them enough time to find new care.

Best of luck to you on your new path ~
Reply Up