Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Changing Daycare Name Please
Evansmom 06:17 AM 02-18-2013
Right now I offer care for ages 2-7 all day like a regular daycare however I'm wanting to change my business to offering homeschooling classes during the day and not caring for small children any more. So more like ages 3 or 4 (depending on the child) to maybe say 8 or 9.

I'm also going to offer after school pick up at my local elementary school. I want to change my business name to reflect the changes that I'm making. I also am making new business cards etc. Should I make two sets? One for home schooling classes and one for after school pick up?

Some details about me to help you brainstorm names:
I'm inspired by Montessori, Waldorf, Reggio Emilia and Charlotte Mason and pull from their philosophies and techniques when I teach and when I plan activities. I try to keep all teaching and learning organic and all learning materials made from natural sources like wood and bamboo. I've been working in this industry for over 17 years. I've worked in centers, as a nanny and in elementary. I've been a mom for over 19 years and am about to be a grandmomma ().

Any ideas?

Thanks to all you smart ladies in advance!
melilley 06:56 AM 02-18-2013
I would do 2 sets of cards so people know that it's two different services. What kind of name are you looking for? A professional sounding name or a cute catchy name? Like _(your name)_'s Home School or something lighter like Little Star's Home School or Learning Center? There is a place by me and it's called Bright Beginnings Learning Center. For some reason I have always liked that. Hope this makes sense, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Evansmom 07:09 AM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I would do 2 sets of cards so people know that it's two different services. What kind of name are you looking for? A professional sounding name or a cute catchy name? Like _(your name)_'s Home School or something lighter like Little Star's Home School or Learning Center? There is a place by me and it's called Bright Beginnings Learning Center. For some reason I have always liked that. Hope this makes sense, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Thank you!

I'm not looking for a cutesy name but more a name that reflects the environment I strive to create which is child-led, child-inspired and creative.

I was thinking Love of Learning? Or something along those lines?
But I think Love of Learning is some kind of program already nationally though there isn't one where I live. I don't know, I don't want to steal anyone's name!
Loveyoustinkyface 07:16 AM 02-18-2013
Nurturing our Children Home School Care
Loving Home School Days
Home School Days
Nurturing Minds

I think "home school" should be in the title somewhere!
melilley 07:38 AM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by Loveyoustinkyface:
Nurturing our Children Home School Care
Loving Home School Days
Home School Days
Nurturing Minds

I think "home school" should be in the title somewhere!
That way they know that you do home schooling and it's not just a preschool.
melilley 07:46 AM 02-18-2013
I would a slogan (if that's what you want to call it) on your cards too. That way people know your philosophy for learning. Like

Love of Learning Home School
Where the creative minds of children come together.

Or something like that. That way you have a name and it also tells what you are about, and fits on a card!
Evansmom 07:50 AM 02-18-2013
Thanks melilley and loveyou!

I agree the words home school should be in there somewhere, good idea!

And I like the slogan idea! Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 02-18-2013
I think offering home schooling "classes" is a wonderful thing!

I would have loved to do that but here we cannot home school anyone else's child as that would be considered a school and in order to be a school, there are TONS of hoops to jump through as well as state guidelines and such we would have to meet etc etc....

Here homeschooling means schooled by the parent.

But anyhow, as long as you are able to do this, I think it is fantastic!

Some names I like are:

Nurturing Minds Home School
Purposeful Minds
Explorations Home School
Organic Minds and Bodies Home School
The Little School that Could
Nature's Path Home School
Evansmom 07:58 AM 02-18-2013
How about some of these:
Name:
Love of Learning Home School
or
Love of Learning Home School Care

Slogans:
Growing minds by fostering curiosity

Fostering the natural ability of children to learn

Fostering a child's natural love for learning

Fostering your child's natural curiosity

Nurturing curiosity, building minds
Loveyoustinkyface 09:04 AM 02-18-2013
Personally, when I hear the word "foster" I automatically think of Foster Care
Evansmom 09:05 AM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by Loveyoustinkyface:
Personally, when I hear the word "foster" I automatically think of Foster Care
I know that's what I thought too. I was just brainstorming.

I like Nurturing Curiosity and Growing Minds so far.

Still in progress tho
melilley 10:42 AM 02-18-2013
I like Love of Learning Home School

and

Growing minds by encouraging curiosity.
Evansmom 11:08 AM 02-18-2013
I like Love of Learning Home School

and

Growing minds by encouraging curiosity.
Oh I like the addition of the word "encouraging"

Thank you!
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 02-18-2013
Step by Step Family School
Journey Toward Tomorrow
Journey Toward Discovery
Bridges to Learning
Bridges to Knowledge
Gardens of Growing
Bright Beginnings Play School
Starburst 12:27 PM 02-18-2013
I plan on doing daycare and preschool and I want my preschool to have a name that is similar to my main name but not the same so something like "*** *** daycare and *** *** preschool program" or '*** *** daycare' featuring '*** *** preschool'

SO it looks like you will be more of a preschool and schoolaged. I would look into seeing if you need to declaire your self a charter school because I have thought about doing homeschool for older kids but heard you need to be a charter school- but also if you do a charter school you cannot charge the families (has to be granted by the school district) you may also need teaching credentials and a school age teaching permit or BA degree.

maybe something that sounds straight to the point like:
"miss x's child development program"
'miss x's learning center'
'casa de acadamia' (house of academics)
'miss x's primary education academy'
'miss x's home school academy'
'miss x's Pre-K to 3rd (or 4th) grade academy'
or just 'miss x's academy'

'primary education' is the same as elementry ususally refers to education before middle/high school (can work with preschool) and academy looks really higher. If you are home schooling children over than 5 you may want them to call you miss first or last name because when they get older and go to a higher up school they need to know they cannot call their teachers just by their first names- also it makes you sound more professional.
Evansmom 12:45 PM 02-18-2013
Thanks BC I like Gardens of Growing, I hadn't thought of anything like that before.

Starburst, I'm in TX and home schooling has no regulation and it is legal to home school other people's children. I have looked into charter but TX only allows a certain number to exist at one time and the market is full right now. But it's not necessary that I go that route since I'm still planning on keeping the numbers within the legally unlicensed limit that I already operate under which is 3 children unrelated to me.

I have to say that's the one thing I like about TX is that they allow home schooling to be at the parents discretion. We looked into possibly moving back to UT where I lived before and they require you to file a form each year with the district and to keep progress records on each child.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 02-18-2013
How about instead of two sets of business cards you have one set and have bullets of what you offer that way if a family with children that could fit under both home-schooling for younger ages and already have a child in school that needs after-school child care could see that they would benefit from what you offer on one card.

For example:

Suzie Q Home School
Address
Phone number
License #Etc.

I'm just thinking that having one card/marketing material with all of your benefits could help you out more especially if you hand them out. Someone may have one in their wallet/purse and may pull it out to give your info out to someone else because they noticed that you offer something else that they don't necessarily need or use but that someone else could benefit from.
Evansmom 01:18 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
How about instead of two sets of business cards you have one set and have bullets of what you offer that way if a family with children that could fit under both home-schooling for younger ages and already have a child in school that needs after-school child care could see that they would benefit from what you offer on one card.

For example:

Suzie Q Home School
Address
Phone number
License #
  • Home School Educational Child Care Program for Ages 3-5
  • After-school Educational Program for Ages 5-9
  • Snacks & Meals
  • After-School Pick-Up from ABC Elementary School
Etc.

I'm just thinking that having one card/marketing material with all of your benefits could help you out more especially if you hand them out. Someone may have one in their wallet/purse and may pull it out to give your info out to someone else because they noticed that you offer something else that they don't necessarily need or use but that someone else could benefit from.
This is good advice thank you. Plus I didn't want to have two cards, too much to keep up with. I want to make some new cards up soon bc I made friends with the owner of a children's haircut place up the street and she said I could put my cards on her sign in desk but to do that I have to decide on a name which is proving difficult.
melilley 03:38 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

For example:

Suzie Q Home School
Address
Phone number
License #
  • Home School Educational Child Care Program for Ages 3-5
  • After-school Educational Program for Ages 5-9
  • Snacks & Meals
  • After-School Pick-Up from ABC Elementary School
Etc.

That's true. I didn't think about that!
Evansmom 03:48 PM 02-18-2013
Hey melilley! I have a yellow lab too

We LOVE her and that's an understatement! Is that your lab in your avatar pic?
melilley 04:18 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Hey melilley! I have a yellow lab too

We LOVE her and that's an understatement! Is that your lab in your avatar pic?
Awww. Yes it is! His name is Tucker. We just love him. We rescued him and he's 3. He thinks he's a lap dog (he's 85 lbs)...lol
Evansmom 05:28 PM 02-18-2013
Awww. Yes it is! His name is Tucker. We just love him. We rescued him and he's 3. He thinks he's a lap dog (he's 85 lbs)...lol
Ours is Olivia and she's a doll. She's almost 8 and we've had her since she was 6 weeks old . I am looking to adopt another but I can't decide on a pup or a young one like you have but you just nudged me in the direction of adopting another one like yours

My 5 yo is so attached to our lab that I'm actually afraid of how devastated he is going to be when she goes, he doesn't know life without her. She's a 90 lb lap dog too
melilley 07:54 PM 02-18-2013
Ours is Olivia and she's a doll. She's almost 8 and we've had her since she was 6 weeks old . I am looking to adopt another but I can't decide on a pup or a young one like you have but you just nudged me in the direction of adopting another one like yours

My 5 yo is so attached to our lab that I'm actually afraid of how devastated he is going to be when she goes, he doesn't know life without her. She's a 90 lb lap dog too
I'm kinda glad we didn't have to go through the puppy stage with the potty training, but it would have been neat to see him grow from a puppy. I am glad that we did rescue him though! We got him from a woman who mainly rescues labs and I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him!
That's the bad thing about owning animals, they usually go before you, but it's so worth being able to love them and the kids will have great memories!
nothingwithoutjoy 08:57 AM 02-19-2013
Right now I offer care for ages 2-7 all day like a regular daycare however I'm wanting to change my business to offering homeschooling classes during the day and not caring for small children any more. So more like ages 3 or 4 (depending on the child) to maybe say 8 or 9.
I'm so interested in your progress as you make this transition. I'm planning to shift to older and home schooled children soon, too (my daughter is 4 and will be home schooled. I'd like peers and role models for her). I'd love to hear more about it as you go!

I can't "home school" other people's children, but I can offer "child care" for them. To me it's all a matter of semantics.
Evansmom 09:10 AM 02-19-2013
I'm interested in my progress too
I'm a little scared trying to change my business this way but hopefully this will work out. I'm offering 1,2 or 3 day program for homeschoolers and their siblings. My thinking is that most homeschooling families choose to homeschool because they want to be home with their kids and won't want a full day program which is fine because I'm going to try to only work MWF anyway. But I thought that offering part time would work for homeschooling families because then they could have a day or days every week where their kids can socialize and they can leave them here and get errands or appointments done. A lot of the other activities in my area for homeschoolers are not drop off and you have to attend with your children so hopefully the fact that mine is different will make it work.

PM me periodically if you like and I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

My other idea is to do only after school pick up and also care on school holidays so that I have my days free to teach classes and also attend and teach other classes with my son. So basically my two ideas are in competition with each other and which ever one takes off first will get my attention!

My after school program will include doing homework, having snack and playing until 7pm. I'm offering to stay open later than all the other places around here as an incentive for families to sign up. Plus if I'm not working all day I'm happy to stay open one hour later than I am right now as I will only be working 4-5 hours per day anyway as opposed to my 10-11 I do right now.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:24 AM 02-19-2013
Such good ideas! I wish you lots of luck. And thanks for the offer to PM re progress--I will!
jenn 10:31 AM 02-19-2013
Great ideas! I have a really blah daycare name "My name" daycare home. Creative huh?
I will coniune with daycare, but will begin homeschooling my daughter in the fall. We have been trying to think of a name for weeks. We can come up with names that are cutesy, but won't really be cute to say you graduated from. I really like Homespun Heart Academy, but then someone told me that there is a Homespun Heart blog. Would it be wrong to still use that name?
Evansmom 10:41 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Great ideas! I have a really blah daycare name "My name" daycare home. Creative huh?
I will coniune with daycare, but will begin homeschooling my daughter in the fall. We have been trying to think of a name for weeks. We can come up with names that are cutesy, but won't really be cute to say you graduated from. I really like Homespun Heart Academy, but then someone told me that there is a Homespun Heart blog. Would it be wrong to still use that name?
I like that name too! I don't know if it is wrong to semi copy someone's name. I'm liking Love of Learning Home School for mine and there is a Loveoflearning.org but its in another state so I'm struggling with it. I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable with.
Starburst 10:55 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
It depends on if that name is registered with your state or not. If it's taken and you don't want your name to be associated with it if they did something to upset their customers. If it is not available maybe something like 'Home Is Were The Heart Is Academy' (kinda long though); 'Queen of Heart Academy'; 'Warm Hearts Academy'; 'Homemade Hearts Academy'; 'St. Hearts Academy'; 'Helping Hearts Academy'; 'Loving Hearts Academy'; 'Charming Hearts Academy'; 'Hands and Hearts Academy'; 'Hearts and Minds Academy'; or 'Sacred Heart Academy' (but I think that is a catholic school)
Tags:business name, name change
Reply Up