Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Road Trip Delay...Anyone In New Haven, CT?
MNMum 07:01 PM 08-17-2013
So, I posted a while back asking for ideas about our future road trip from MN to the East Coast. You guys gave excellent ideas, and I based our 12 day road trip off of them. I made a very flexible plan. I have a better go with the flow attitude, if I plan less, then it is harder for things to "not go as planned"! Our trip has been going great. We stopped at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, Niagara Falls, and spent all day yesterday in NYC - rode the ferry and the subway, spent time in Central park and Bryant Park and had dinner in Chinatown.

We ended up having an unexpected pit stop in New Haven today. I noticed some minor swelling on our 5 week olds finger a few days ago, it hadn't changed from day 1 to day 2. Today when I looked at it, there was green pus coming from the skin near the tip of the nail, and the skin was "peeling" back. I wouldn't say "I freaked out", however, I did demand we stop to get it checked out. Problem is, there is not an urgent care out there that will deal with a 5 week old. We called and spoke with the provider at the closest urgent care, and she sent us packing, to the nearest Children's ER, which happened to be Yale. I thought they would just check out the finger, maybe lance it, clean it, and we would be on to our hotel near Boston. Nope, they admitted us. Since he is so little, the research shows any sign of bacterial infection, even a small finger, could lead to sepsis, etc. Ughhh. We spent a few hours in the ER, having blood drawn and a spinal tap. Our little guy appears totally healthy, and I'm confident he will be fine, so I feel silly being here, but better safe than sorry. Luckily, they had room in the Ronald McDonald House, and that is where my husband is with our 3 other children.

Any ideas on what my husband should do with our 3,7, and 10 year olds tomorrow?

I had to post here, because I didn't want to freak out all of our followers on facebook about a hospital stay during our roadtrip...namely my father in law!
mamac 07:11 PM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
So, I posted a while back asking for ideas about our future road trip from MN to the East Coast. You guys gave excellent ideas, and I based our 12 day road trip off of them. I made a very flexible plan. I have a better go with the flow attitude, if I plan less, then it is harder for things to "not go as planned"! Our trip has been going great. We stopped at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, Niagara Falls, and spent all day yesterday in NYC - rode the ferry and the subway, spent time in Central park and Bryant Park and had dinner in Chinatown.

We ended up having an unexpected pit stop in New Haven today. I noticed some minor swelling on our 5 week olds finger a few days ago, it hadn't changed from day 1 to day 2. Today when I looked at it, there was green pus coming from the skin near the tip of the nail, and the skin was "peeling" back. I wouldn't say "I freaked out", however, I did demand we stop to get it checked out. Problem is, there is not an urgent care out there that will deal with a 5 week old. We called and spoke with the provider at the closest urgent care, and she sent us packing, to the nearest Children's ER, which happened to be Yale. I thought they would just check out the finger, maybe lance it, clean it, and we would be on to our hotel near Boston. Nope, they admitted us. Since he is so little, the research shows any sign of bacterial infection, even a small finger, could lead to sepsis, etc. Ughhh. We spent a few hours in the ER, having blood drawn and a spinal tap. Our little guy appears totally healthy, and I'm confident he will be fine, so I feel silly being here, but better safe than sorry. Luckily, they had room in the Ronald McDonald House, and that is where my husband is with our 3 other children.

I had to post here, because I didn't want to freak out all of our followers on facebook about a hospital stay during our roadtrip...namely my father in law!
I know there is a Children's Museum in New Haven. I haven't been to that one yet but the museums in Hartford are pretty good.
Shoot. Scratch that. They're closed on Sunday.

I hope your little one is okay!!

Edit: I did a quick search. There is a splash pad in New Haven. Located near the beach with a lighthouse. $20 to park.
Here's the link: http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/parks/...housepoint.asp
mema 07:23 PM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:

I have no advice for your dh to do with the kids, except maybe he can ask at the house if they have any suggestions. I'm sure they know some good kid spots.

I hope little one is doing good and you can get going again soon!
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 08-18-2013
Never been to CT so I am no help, but I sure hope your little guy is feeling better soon and I do hope you and your family are still having a good time despite this bump in the road...

Kids always have an interesting way of adding to the experience.

to you and your family for being such troopers!
Reply Up